Haze (PS3)

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
files.php

Time to get excited about this.

Always liked the look of it, but the delays were worrying. Just read the preview in Edge and they say the delays (for whatever reason) have given Free Radical the chance to really polish this up.

They say it may not always look the best, but its a 'shooter for adults' and the gameplay is superb with the choice between the soldiers or the rebels really balanced giving 2 completely different feels and approaches to play.

I fear its gonna get overlooked by the mass excitment around GTA4, but I'll be getting it!

Not sure about this i not been to impressed in the past with it.

There demo coming in May though that has up to 4 player co op quite good will see what its like then. :))

One thing that bothered me with early videos was the grenade throwing didnt have enough umph in it and the 'nades wouldn't go as far as you'd expect them to.

I hope that's fixed because it would really piss me off if im going to be throwing a 'nade from somewhere and it goes as far as if id thrown a feather.

Other than that ive been looking forward to this game a hell of a lot - ESPECIALLY the co op aspect

One thing that bothered me with early videos was the grenade throwing didnt have enough umph in it and the 'nades wouldn't go as far as you'd expect them to.

I hope that's fixed because it would really piss me off if im going to be throwing a 'nade from somewhere and it goes as far as if id thrown a feather.

Other than that ive been looking forward to this game a hell of a lot - ESPECIALLY the co op aspect

Know what you mean, but Edge are normally critical and they were glowing about the action... they didnt seem to mention 1 negative apart from the 'not quite blown away' graphics - which they said you would overlook as the game is that good...

Yeah ive noticed the graphics aren't stunning from videos shown so far --- or should i say the textures on walls and so on.

BUT - as much as i love great looking graphics if the gameplay bores me then its a waste of time and money.

I cant see the timesplitters boys messing this up though

But after this is finally release i hope to god they give us a new time splitters game and use the PC unreal map making idea to give us a better map maker

I'm looking forward to Haze. Can't help but feel it's a bit of a rip off of Halo though, like a Halo for the PS3.

Hope they pull it off, I loved GoldenEye on the N64 and Timesplitters! Looking forward to a new multiplayer after I'm sick of GTA IV... which I doubt

Last edited:
Really excited about this game, I've had it pre ordered for ages, I want my glow stick!

Re: Sony PlayStation 3

Well its ok AI very good gameplay good but zooming all time going to get annoying i feel would of been far better with over the shoulder shooting like Gears etc or aim down sight.

Graphics are ok but nothing special just usual point to point objective game which is not a bad thing i just dont think i will be buying straight off.

Moved a couple of Haze posts from the PS3 thread into here, so that people discuss the demo in the right place.

Just played it now and I'm undecided. I love how smooth the frame-rate is, reminds me of CoD4. No judderyness whatsoever. Graphics have taken a hit for that though - really blurry and unimpressive, unless there's something funny going on with my PS3. And I'm not a fan of having to stop every minute and inject yourself like you're one of the junkies from GTA IV either, seems like a totally pointless addition to me.

Perhaps it's a grower?

I think it's like the PS3's wannabe Halo 2/3, just from what I have seen and heard, even the vehicles I have seen atm look very similar. The whole being on one side, then the other. I respect Free Radical and I have enjoyed the TimeSplitters series, and I guess they were happy enough to be given a big project to do for another company as such, the FPS market is getting beyond saturation point, and I still think this will end up more run of the mill than must buy.....

The more I play it, the more it seems alright (reminds me of Uncharted, nothing particularly amazing but a decent game that I'd like to buy on the cheap a few months after release) - if only it wasn't for the damn injection bollocks. You have to stop literally every 60 seconds to hold L1 and fill a bar up - whoever thought that up doesn't deserve a job in the gaming industry. What a load of bollocks, what the hell is the point? You might as well add going for a piss to GTA IV. Every couple of minutes, "your piss bar is full, you must reach a toilet within the next 30 seconds, press and hold L1 to piss".

This is what I posted in AVF last night...

i wonder what people are expecting from Next-Gen games - some of the comments here are crazy...

The game looks excellent - very colourful, bold, models are good, effects (like explosions) are excellent etc.

And even if it isnt 'photo-realistic' as some expect, I'll take a hit in the graphics to get smooth and fast gameplay.

Fiddled around with the controls and now have more or less the same set up as COD4 which helps - so all good!

I'm expecting the rebels gun zoom to be more like COD4, where the mantels have the built in HUD display zoom.

Anyone overdosed yet?! Thats cool - you go mental and the gun fires off on its own - i took 2 of my own men out!! :D

Anyway, great game and those who think it 'looks rubbish' need either glasses or a HDTV!!! :D

Playing Haze, GTA4 etc - and after my little strop the other week over Euro2008 - it does make me wonder if 'we' as game fans have next gen all wrong.

Maybe it isnt going to blow us away on first sight as predicted. I'd take graphics like those in Haze, GTA etc if it means the gameplay is solid - and I think thats what we are seeing.

The graphics in Haze (as I pointed out above) are certainly nice enough and I really dont see the blurryness people are pointing out. They are definately not BAD graphics and the fact the game runs fast, smooth etc means I'd take that every day - certainly at this stage in next gen games.

GTA too - the graphics on first viewing are, to be frank, a bit shocking in places. But sit back and watch the game for 5 mins and you (should) get an appreciation that the graphics in that game are very powerful in the fact it allows a whole atmosphere of the city to come out. I'd take the graphics in GTA every time if it means the game is as expansive as they have managed.

So anyway... I think Haze is gonna be good - like an alternate COD4. To add onto that post last night, I enjoyed the large map. People are saying it was linear (and to be fair, most FPSs are), but if you notice there is a HUGE area to play in. At one point, my soldiers were engaging the rebels and I tailed off to the left, staying behind loads of cover, picking rebels off and I ended up right behind them and ambushed them.

So I disagree that there are 'narrow linear' paths. The game is linear in its nature, but allows enough freedom to be creative which I liked.

From gamefaqs

The other day I was in EB (In Aus) and they already have the proper official game cases on shelves so I had a look. Apparently the game will require a 6GB installation. I think that may be the biggest HDD space user for the PS3 yet. Bad news for 20GB owners, but most PS3 owners have 40-80GB PS3's, so space shouldn't be that much of an issue. Also of particular note was that on the case it said that the game will feature rumble and DLC. I'm sure the DLC will probably just entail new multiplayer maps, but it's still good news nonetheless.

6 gig!

=

Quick Q

In the demo do you get to use grenades and if so have they fixed the lame female throwing distance of them because that pissed me off in the early videos of the game and something like that can seriously put me off a game

Last edited:
From gamefaqs

6 gig!

=

Quick Q

In the demo do you get to use grenades and if so have they fixed the lame female throwing distance of them because that pissed me off in the early videos of the game and something like that can seriously put me off a game

Grenades can be thrown (or rolled) depending how long you hold down the trigger for. There is no distance gauge or owt, just by 'feel'.

Played it and deleted it.

Thanks for that indepth insight Jay :LOL: Any reason why you didnt like it?

Is the feel about right though?

Like with most games i can usually get the feel right pretty quick - but from the videos ive seen of haze they've aimed high... in my eyes perfectly to throw the 'nade into a window near... and then it falls way way short.

And in another example they walk forwards and throw a 'nade which should give it some extra distance... but again it just falls short like it was made out of feathers

=

I could download myself and see but 1 the ps3 knackered and 2 i got to 80 odd % the other day just before it went tits up and i cant be arsed doing it all again

Watched the Playr special on this today and the game LOOKS.... awesome

So im gonna have to give the demo a try - looks like one of those id have fun playing but i won't be screaming from the rooftops that its a next gen masterpiece

Watched the Playr special on this today and the game LOOKS.... awesome

So im gonna have to give the demo a try - looks like one of those id have fun playing but i won't be screaming from the rooftops that its a next gen masterpiece

Whats Playr?

Demo is good - but I've been looking forward to this for a while. Its quite short (the demo), but I bet the full game and 4-player co-op (drop in and out) will be very good indeed!

Playr has replaced Gamertv - made by the same people but without sam delaney hosting.

They had a big special on the multiplayer modes and it looked really good fun - not amazing - but still good fun

GamerTV run about 5 Haze specials already though, it maybe didnt show anything new then.

It's shit.

Jaygrim for fucks sake slating a game before it's even released and getting it hugely wrong.

It's far worse than just shit mate. One of the most generic shooters I have played plus you have to stop to 'shoot up' every few seconds for a cheesy effect that lasts about 15 seconds.

Really dissapointing. Like a lot of 'next gen' games.

Wow from the posts here i thought I'd hate this game but i really like it - a lot!

Guns felt ok, movement felt fine... lack of a run button was a bit of a stinker but i guess thats reserved for the more agile rebels side.

Grenades felt a little crappy and the damage radius was useless - not a huge problem as i did kill 3 men with one nade and the throwing distance although for me felt a bit short wasn't too short. I would prefer them to go a bit further and have a bigger explosion though.

The whole shooting up every 3 seconds thing being crap - i don't agree at all - 1 you're never forced into doing it every few seconds - its an advantage the mantel guys rely on and if you choose to rely on it every 3 seconds then thats your own doing ---- it's like saying the ability to reload your gun every 3 bullets instead of at the end of a full clip is an annoying feature.

From JB's post....
I didn't know you had to forcefully refill it yourself by holding L1? I must have missed that - all i did was use it with L2 and go out killing. Does it refill on its own anyway or do you have to forcefully refill it?

I think id prefer the manual refill just because it will play into how much you are addicted to the nectar - you cant function without it - so when its used up your running off to refill like a junkie - and i think that is exactly what Free radical are getting at.

I got by fine without using any abilities - the jungle made it hard to see the rebels but again thats meant to happen and meant to lure you into relying on the nectar advantages - but once i did use them i found myself addicted to them much like the mantel guys are. Especially the enhanced zoom on your weapons.

I just know that it will be a really tough feature to lose when you swap sides and thats where the game really will come alive where you outsmart what you've just been. And it will help a lot more that you've actually been on that side and know how they think and act and move rather than just being told 'oh they cant see dead bodies'

Loved the story in the very short demo - the bombed base was a perfect way to introduce us to the horrors of way as seen through our guys eyes --- if you get me!

Loved that even though the images of war are edited the sounds are still there - that made the base all the more horrific because you know what's there and you just cant see it.

And then the pilot who is hurt and asks if you can still see him - very nice way of showing that the pilot knew what had happened to him and that his body would be invisible if he was dead or near to death --- and i LOVE....L-O-V-E that they didn't go all American on us and point out that he vanished!

I'm almost certainly going to pick this up on release

4 player online and offline co op should be really fun

-

http://www.psu.com/PSU-Exclusive-Interview--Haze--a0001399-p1.php

Just read here bots are going to be supported offline and ive heard online as well - going from the sony day video on playr the guys showing the game off were talking about how some of the people in the DM game they had where bots so that should be an almost definite confirmation of online bots

They just made my day with offline bots and split screen gaming!

Last edited:
What day does PlayrTV come on? I didn't really think that much about Haze found it awkward playing with the controller, but il give it another go later on. doesnt't seem a bad game.:)

They just made my day with offline bots and split screen gaming!

Offline bots is a superb feature. Love that on UT3 too and its great when you want some MP action without the human touch!

Haze is gonna be great thats for sure and really looking forward to next Friday - bank holiday gaming special - then GRID a few days later :)

Back
Top Bottom