Guitar Hero Thread

Guitar Hero : World Tour

Guitar Hero IV Details Revealed

Create your own songs, solo on the drums and fully customize your character.

Rock Band may be currently cornering the full-band music game genre, but Activision and Neversoft have come out swinging, revealing loads of new info on the next installment in the franchise, aimed at unseating EA and MTV games' reigning rockstar simulator.

According to a cover-story spread in this month's issue of Game Informer magazine, Guitar Hero IV will introduce massive changes to the traditionally guitar-focused series, starting with a drum set addition meant to knock Rock Band's kit offstage.

The kit looks similar to Rock Band's, with its bass drum pedal and primary-colored circular pads (there are only three in GHIV), but that's where the similarities end. Activision's set – which the company claims is built more sturdily than the competition's -- adds two raised, wedge-shaped cymbal pads (used to activate star power), and each pad on the kit is pressure-sensitive. Itching to freestyle on the Rock Band drums after playing Weezer's "Say it Ain't So" for the 75th time? The GHIV drum career mode will let you do your thing during encores.

Although Activision didn't reveal specific details, the publisher told GI the next Guitar Hero axe will feature a "totally new input mechanic" in addition to the standard buttons. The game will still support current GH controllers, however. All instruments in the game, including the drum set, will be wireless.

Guitar Hero IV will also feature an expanded character creation system similar to those found in the Tony Hawk and Tiger Woods games -- think facial sliders and customized outfits, accessories and even reaction animations. Instruments will be able to be personalized, too. Licensed guitars are out, drums will have different wood grains available, decals can be created and you'll even be able to slap your band's name on the bass drum head.

Activision and Neversoft also told GI they will release more downloadable songs for Guitar Hero IV than they have for Guitar Hero III and plan to introduce a new music-creation tool. The new Studio Mode will let users not only freely jam over songs in the game but also create and upload their own original tracks. Using a vertically-scrolling grid, you'll be able to record rhythm, lead, melody, bass and drums (sorry, no vocals) and create loops and effects.

There's still no release date for Guitar Hero IV, and despite the wealth of info Activision has now shared about he title, there's still a lot we don't know. As long as we get to play a keytar, we'll be happy

Last edited:
Re: Guitar Hero IV - Create your own songs + more

Guitar Hero IV Details Revealed

Create your own songs, solo on the drums and fully customize your character.

Think we can all guess the 'create your own song' will be poop and the instruments thing has been done by RockBand.

Interested in the new mechanic though - I'm guessing either:-

* Multiple strum bars
* 'Bending' the buttons (something like the mouse pad on a laptop)

Either way, I cannot see me being shifted from Rockband. It caters for everything I need!

There's no way I'm going to pay out for more equipment as rockband gives me everything already

The make your own song sounds good but im guessing its from some pre made clips rather than being able to turn a MP3 of your favourite band into an in game track

Their promise to deliver more DLC ... I've heard it all before. They've delivered more for GH3 but they promised more DLC for GH2 than any other game.... and then we'd get 3 songs every 4 or more months. And they told us they could NOT release DLC as seperate tracks as it was too expensive to do that and then we see rockband doing just that and they sell them cheaper.

Ive not checked how GH3's pricing works out though so they may have reduced their costs now and released them as singles. But if they have ive no doubt its only because RB do the same

I'm still annoyed at them blocking RB's patch to allow the GH guitars to be used on RB

So i'll pass i think

Last edited:

I gonna get this if it is £70 as I do not have GH2 or GH3. Fcuk Rock Band with there crazy european price. The game is great but the price is a complete piss take.

Weird.

I have to say though I do like the idea of having cymbal-type things, I was disappointed that they weren't on the Rock Band drums. First thing my brother-in-law said (who is a drummer in an actual band) when he saw them was "they're fuck-all like real drums".

He actually sat down and played it the other day though, and said that on expert it's pretty close. My nephew showed him a Youtube vid of some kid getting 100% on some insanely hard song on expert, and he said "that is actually pretty amazing, except he's holding the sticks like forks". :lol:

Don't think they look as good as RBs.

That just sounds like it's going to cause more problems than it's worth? :SS

I would have thought people would have wanted as close to a proper guitar/drum playing experience as possible

posting the video again becuase it went down

/watch?v=ZGL0BHUlPfE

for some reason it wont direct link so you will have to copy and paste and add www.youtube.com

Last edited:

Ah so its called Guitar Hero World Tour now

I can see problems coming with pressure sensitive pads - either they'll break as people belt the hell out of them or they'll be unable to detect small hits after a load of use.

It'll be interesting as the cymbals are on there too, but pressure sensitive pads just aren't worth it (for the reasons Radiation just stated). I'll keep an eye on it and see what it develops out like.

The page takes a while to load but it gets there.

The Drums look far better to play imo

they look more real for a start

http://video.allthingsd.com/?bcpid=716692140&bclid=756513564&bctid=1576242596

Some game footage there, I just don't think it looks as "classy" footage-wise as RB, but then there's a lot of time to sort that out.

The guitar looks well chunky as well! :shock:

Thought the guitar looked awful - like a toy... didnt help getting a couple of gimps to demonstrate it tho...

The Drums look far better to play imo

they look more real for a start

If you are referring to the bass drum, then there is no way that will ship surely - its just for show. You could see the actual set sitting behind it! I think the cymbol is a neat idea though and would certainly add to the immersion.

I just repeat again though, if anyone has RockBand (and considering it got the jump on everyone else, people who want this game will have it already), who on earth will buy this and store another load of kit?

If they made the 2 kits cross-platform, then I'd definately give it a look in.

Yeah ill only have a look if they allow the RB kit to work.

But i'm guessing that will never happen as they blocked the RB guitars working with GH3 - and this is probably why.

Or sell RB. No way I'm having two sets of drums etc. From what I've seen of the GH drums, I think I prefer the RB set. But I definately prefer the GH2 guitar to the RB Fender, which the strumming just doesn't feel right.

Hmmm... I absolutely love the RB guitar - it feels less of a 'toy' than the GH one due to its larger size and nicer finish.

I also like the strum bar and that it doesnt click. The looser feel allows you to almost strum as close to real guitar as possible - proven none more so than in the Wonderwall song (which HAS to be played like strumming an acoustic guitar just to hit all the notes!)

Finally, the solo buttons, though a bit gimmicky at least give an option to do something different and the effects knob is a nice touch.

Whats not to like?! :LOL:

The strum bar, just feels mushy with no sense of when a note is being hit. Compared to the GH2 X-Plorer guitar strum, the RB strum just feels spongey.

Having to keep pushing against sponge makes the strum feel a bit restricted, slightly "sticky" and doesn't give the same impression that you're actually strumming.

Although the X-Plorer looks awful and clicks when strumming, the audible clicks definately let you know when the clicks were registering. I also found it MUCH easier to hit the faster notes with the X-Plorer.

Seems that many people who have gone from the RB guitar to the Les Paul are also finding their strumming has improved and they're hitting their notes far easier. Unfortunately we can't use GH guitars on RB :(

The strum bar, just feels mushy with no sense of when a note is being hit. Compared to the GH2 X-Plorer guitar strum, the RB strum just feels spongey.

Having to keep pushing against sponge makes the strum feel a bit restricted, slightly "sticky" and doesn't give the same impression that you're actually strumming.

Although the X-Plorer looks awful and clicks when strumming, the audible clicks definately let you know when the clicks were registering. I also found it MUCH easier to hit the faster notes with the X-Plorer.

Seems that many people who have gone from the RB guitar to the Les Paul are also finding their strumming has improved and they're hitting their notes far easier. Unfortunately we can't use GH guitars on RB :(

Must be a personal preference then (like Dualshock or 360 pad) - or perhaps that I feel it closer to playing a real guitar than a 'video game controller'. Out of interest, have you ever played the real guitar/bass?

I much prefer the spongey feeling RB guitar - i hate that bloody 'click click click' noise. And i find it easier to strum with this, i just loosely hod my thumb out and jiggle my hand back and forth like a loose wank ... or maybe like im holding a dice and im shaking it in my hand. Yeah a dice... that sounds much better and makes me sound less of a perv

I much prefer the spongey feeling RB guitar - i hate that bloody 'click click click' noise. And i find it easier to strum with this, i just loosely hod my thumb out and jiggle my hand back and forth like a loose wank ... or maybe like im holding a dice and im shaking it in my hand. Yeah a dice... that sounds much better and makes me sound less of a perv

:LOL: Wanker! Yea, I 'strum' (*ahem*) like you would do on a real guitar without a plectrum, so 'flicking' my finger/thumb over the strum bar.

Seen some interesting styles...

Mum = whacks the strum bar with her fat thumb
GF = pushes the strum bar down (only) with her thumb knuckle!?
Dad = holds the strum bar and waggles it up and down (missing all the notes - and he was IN a band :LOL:)

all weirdo's...

Must be a personal preference then (like Dualshock or 360 pad) - or perhaps that I feel it closer to playing a real guitar than a 'video game controller'. Out of interest, have you ever played the real guitar/bass?

Yep, got an steel-string acoustic though I'm still very much a beginner.

I strum by pushing my thumb down onto the strum bar though I'm going to try and play like I'm holding a plec and hold the strum between my thumb and finger. I've tried to do that with "Go With The Flow" and it didn't seem to make a difference to hitting notes or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep, got an steel-string acoustic though I'm still very much a beginner.

I tried to 'play' for years, but could never get the full hang of it. Got to a reasonable level (could play a few songs all the way through - Wild Wood by Paul Weller and some Oasis songs), but was better suited to the power-chords of bands like Bush.

But anything more than rythym I was lost, could never move my fingers fast enough for any lead or solo stuff, so got frustrated. I just love music though, so being able to 'play guitar' in RB (and sing and drum etc) just gives me a feeling of fufilling an ambition, even though the guitaring is not as real as the real instrument - its close enough! :)

Clever people with eyes have uncovered evidence that Metallica will be the next band to get its very own Guitar Hero game.

Buried deep in an Activision SEC filing was confirmation of its existence, according to GameSpot, alongside a promise it would be out before the end of March next year.

Metallica will follow in the footsteps of Aerosmith, which gives its Guitar Hero solo performance sometime next month.

Presumably the format will be much the same; play as the band from grass roots to stadiums, tackling most of the back catalogue as well as other songs that inspired Metallica along the way.

Metallica was formed in 1981 by drummer Lars Ulrich, who incidentally went on to lead the publicised fight against Napster at the turn of the century.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=144423

would imagine that game to end up pretty intense and they always over chart songs at GH so it's going to be difficult for the sake of being difficult - i hope this doesn't signal some kind of Metallica GH exclusiveness

Back
Top Bottom