Fight Night Champion

Game is pretty good post patch. I'll post my GOAT slider settings for offline this week. Need to match up some evenly skilled fighters.

I'm thinking of getting this now but does the patch make all these things below better?

No point in getting it if you just end up in the middle of the ring throwing weak punches doing no damage as before

You hit the nail on the head Placebo, i was trying to figure out what the main thing was that made this game feel wrong and it is the way punches are landed and the opponent just walks through them like he hasn't been touched

I can't even recall the oppos head snapping back or moving much at all from jabs which is very shit for saying the head movement/hit detection is the be all and end all for a boxing game

punches are too fast, not powerful enough, don't cause enough damage, don't use enough stamina and don't disrupt your opponents punches at all.

i love sitting behind the jab, but it is pointless in this game. I have had some good games on the demo, but few and far between, most just end up being a slug fest (with no power in the punches).

the only saving grace will be the sliders, cause in fnr4 i managed to tweak it to how i think it should play. did a few tests with people spamming and i wiped the floor with them.

Tried the game, pure nonesense, arcade all the way. Has good graphics and a nice, interesting, although short story-mode.

But the fighting-gameplay is bad, real bad, it's far too easy, punches don't have any power, opponent shows no reaction, it devolves quickly into a slug-fest because fighting from a distance is not possible. Stamina plays nearly no role, I mean, what the hell were they talking about in the videos before the game was completed, all that stuff about four stamina-zones... bullshit, it has nearly no consequence, stamina gets refreshed very quickly.

Blocking is being automated, you don't need to choose between high or low block, just block and the fighter adapts to where the hits come in...

I'm thinking of getting this now but does the patch make all these things below better?

No point in getting it if you just end up in the middle of the ring throwing weak punches doing no damage as before
Spot on. This game looks great, and it's better that 3/4 but it could be a lot better, a whole lot better.:TTTH:

It's a decent boxing game, it's typical EA fare, they do enough to make the game appealing enough to play as a fan of the sport when there's no viable alternative, such as with Fifa.

Thanks for the info guys

I was going to order it earlier for £17.99 off HMV but thought i would wait to see what you lot said about it, so i have gone back on the site to order now and it says..

"Unfortunately the availability and/or price has changed since this product was added to your basket.
The information shown here is correct."

so its back at £30, the fuckers changed it in a matter of hours. I aint sure about paying £30 for it at all, maybe a rental is the best bet first

I bought FNR3 for £3 recently, quite a fun game, bit repetitive though and I don't like how you can land a haymaker after every parry, even from a jab. Also online play has been disabled by EA.

Can't complain for £3 though, offline multiplayer is a good laugh.

It's a decent boxing game, it's typical EA fare, they do enough to make the game appealing enough to play as a fan of the sport when there's no viable alternative, such as with Fifa.
There is a viable (and more realistic) alternative to FIFA when it comes to football games - with boxing games though, we're stuck with an EA monopoly (Prizefighter doesn't even deserve a mention).

I've played the Fight Night Champion demo, and it's entertaining, but frustrating in that it could have been so much better.

Have EA Sports ever made a really top quality sports game?
I don't know too much about basketball, ice hockey or American football, but hardcore fans of those sports seem to pick apart EA's NBA, NHL and Madden series in much the same way a lot of people here have with FIFA.

I've seen a few by this guy on YouTube talking about Madden/NBA;
http://www.youtube.com/user/apexisfree

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the PS3 version on release date but picked up 360 in asda for £20 about a month ago. Like placebo said it's the best around and unlike most sports games EA seem to dominate putting out games that i consider should be a lot better. 2K had great american football games but Prizefighter was utter shite. I had a game called "Boxers road" on ps1 which was a good game for it's time, if remade could be really good.

Not for what I want from a football game there isn't.
Obviously.

The point I was making was that we have a choice between two reasonable games, and although they obviously cater for different audiences (PES = deeper, more realistic gameplay, FIFA = licenses + more content) there is some crossover where each game has to attempt to catch up with or get one over on the competition which ultimately (should) lead to more innovation/development.

EA don't really need to do a lot with Fight Night to have the best boxing game, as it's the only one available.

I know that if someone else came along and made a boxing game with realistic/tactical gameplay but lacked in other areas, it would still be the one I'd go for.

Here are my latest offline slider settings

GOAT Difficulty
2 Min Rounds
Can`t be saved by the bell

Referee Foul Awareness - 10
Boxer Power - default
Boxer Speed - default
Boxer Physical Damage - default
Boxer Toughness - default
Stamina - 6
Punch Accuracy - default
Cntr Window - default
CPU Offensive Awareness - default
CPU Defensive Awareness - 6
CPU Punch Output - default

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some changes to my offline slider settings. They are posted above. The game is pretty damn solid after the latest update. However, I did some more editing on all of the original boxers. I increased cuts +10 for every fighter as cuts were happening too early in fights.

Back
Top Bottom