FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 v PES 2016

Ok, I've tried the FIFA demo.

I've played 5 matches on legendary and every single game has finished 0-0

To be honest if anyone wants my opinion on it, i'll talk in a PM, private message because, well, i'm just out of words.

To make things even more bizarre i just lost 2-1 as Seattle Sounders to Barcelona on professional. Full manual, slow

Last edited:

Say it man..

By the way PES physicality kicks ass.. it's like i can feel the battle on my gamepad. Probably because of the heaviness and clunkiness. Fifa feels to soft. if you knoe what i mean.. lol

Say it man..

By the way PES physicality kicks ass.. it's like i can feel the battle on my gamepad. Probably because of the heaviness and clunkiness. Fifa feels to soft. if you knoe what i mean.. lol

yes lots of physicality but no foul !! lol

Yeah the physicality in PES is great until you see a dribbler use the same jump-skip animation over and over and over again.

Been spending this weekend with some intense PES gaming.

Started an ML with Real Sociedad (just wanted to pick any 2nd division team) on professional, Level 1 pass assistance.
The ML is good this year...well compared to the naked and dull 2014 one, it really is okay.
The first games were very enjoyable and somehow it was more fun playing with this low team than playing with Real Madrid.
Also it seemed to be more fluid, but that could be down to the reason that I played a CL with RM on -1 speed and the ML with 0.
0 feels more fluid on PC.

The first games have been tough, maybe due to the new players I signed and the low team spirit.
Lost a few ones 1-2, 0-1 etc...but then I managed to win one game and after that I had games with very high score lines. One was 9-0.
Yeah it was on professional but as I haven´t played PES for some time I thought it would be better to start on this level. Gonna turn it up to top player and superstar maybe.

Shot some great goals, a nice one was a volley from a cross.
The only problem is: it left me cold.
Actually it should have made me jump out of my seat....but nada.
That´s quite sad because I really like the pace and the animations along with the player models and faces.
But the more I play it, the more I feel the scripting and restrictions - or better - limitations.
That results in the short passing. It feels like the ball rolls on invisible prepared rails or something.
Sometimes I even feel that I can´t really move on 360 degrees.

Had too many goals that flew into the net too easily. Missed the variation there.

When I play FIFA I feel a lot more freedom on the pitch and that "anything can happen" feeling is always there.
That´s where PEs is lacking imho only.
Like I said...shot great goals but it left me cold and I think it is because I have the feeling that it HAD to be like this...like it was proggrammed that way...I can´t really describe it.
But it was never like "Ohhh I didn´t see that coming!".
Maybe also because the keepers suck.

I won´t completely skip it. I´ll give it another go.
I have read many times on here that full manual is the way to go.
I´ll try that and hope I can get used to it.
Maybe then I can enjoy it and the passing on rails feeling is gone.

Looking forward for FIFA at the same time.

Last edited:

I bought PES for the PS4 yesterday, only had a couple of games, and whilst there are nice touches there, I hope the next few days seriously impresses me, as all it will do at the moment is make me want FIFA more.

I used to love PES until FIFA 08, then its been FIFA since then for me. The PES 2016 demo was good, and I enjoyed it, so bought it. I will play it alot this week, but feel it wont be touched after next weekend.

The satisfaction of great goals isn't there any more in PES sadly, and FIFA is genuinely brilliant now.

Say it man..

No. There is just no point going off on one.

Ill just keep it short and simple.

I'm just lost for words with the CPU AI! Its EA's answer to PES 2014. I can see the same thing happening to what happened there and the game barely lasting a few weeks after release.

Shearer God / Dags What you said about every match being the same. Its not going to get any better.

EA cannot build anything next year on this, this game is going down a dead end. Too many aspects need a reboot and a better holistic programming structure. EA's need a philosophy to stick to since currently making each title the extreme opposite to the last game has lead them to this inevitable dead end.

This is an animations and physics simulator. I don't even think i can even call it football. Just a human to ball physics simulator.

Last edited:

Been spending this weekend with some intense PES gaming.

Started an ML with Real Sociedad (just wanted to pick any 2nd division team) on professional, Level 1 pass assistance.
The ML is good this year...well compared to the naked and dull 2014 one, it really is okay.
The first games were very enjoyable and somehow it was more fun playing with this low team than playing with Real Madrid.
Also it seemed to be more fluid, but that could be down to the reason that I played a CL with RM on -1 speed and the ML with 0.
0 feels more fluid on PC.

The first games have been tough, maybe due to the new players I signed and the low team spirit.
Lost a few ones 1-2, 0-1 etc...but then I managed to win one game and after that I had games with very high score lines. One was 9-0.
Yeah it was on professional but as I haven´t played PES for some time I thought it would be better to start on this level. Gonna turn it up to top player and superstar maybe.

Shot some great goals, a nice one was a volley from a cross.
The only problem is: it left me cold.
Actually it should have made me jump out of my seat....but nada.
That´s quite sad because I really like the pace and the animations along with the player models and faces.
But the more I play it, the more I feel the scripting and restrictions - or better - limitations.
That results in the short passing. It feels like the ball rolls on invisible prepared rails or something.
Sometimes I even feel that I can´t really move on 360 degrees.

Had too many goals that flew into the net too easily. Missed the variation there.

When I play FIFA I feel a lot more freedom on the pitch and that "anything can happen" feeling is always there.
That´s where PEs is lacking imho only.
Like I said...shot great goals but it left me cold and I think it is because I have the feeling that it HAD to be like this...like it was proggrammed that way...I can´t really describe it.
But it was never like "Ohhh I didn´t see that coming!".
Maybe also because the keepers suck.

I won´t completely skip it. I´ll give it another go.
I have read many times on here that full manual is the way to go.
I´ll try that and hope I can get used to it.
Maybe then I can enjoy it and the passing on rails feeling is gone.

Looking forward for FIFA at the same time.

You described my experience exactly. Started an ML yesterday with a random Spanish second division team, and it's been fun but ultimately a bit empty at the same time. Games have been real tough, and I've become attached already to some of my players, but scoring leaves me feeling nothing.

I will say that I do enjoy PES's approach to ML more than FIFA's CM. It feels a bit more like an RPG, which I enjoy. Maybe the addition of player training in CM will change my opinion but to be honest I don't have high expectations if the feature is pretty much the same as what was added to Madden, which it sounds like it is. (God though, some of the presentation aspects in ML look like something still out of the PS2 days!)

I think the majority of the issues with PES have already been touched upon, but honestly I could look past a lot of them. It's incredibly bizarre for a football game in this day and age to seemingly be completely devoid of fouls but it's something I would be willing to look past. I could forgive Konami for the clunky animations, and even the horrible keepers, but what the game will never overcome is it's outdated and monotonous shooting mechanics. Every shot looks like the one that came before it and they all seem to rifle into the top of the net. Honestly, the feeling you get from scoring in PES now is so hollow that I think it would have to rank alongside the worst football games of all time. The redeeming qualities such as player models and interplay are completely undermined and cancelled out by the fact that scoring isn't pleasurable.

I won't say any more about the game as I think my thoughts have been made quite clear. PES 2016 is an utter failure of a video game and doesn't compare favourably to FIFA 15 let alone the newest iteration.

No. There is just no point going off on one.

Ill just keep it short and simple.

I'm just lost for words with the CPU AI! Its EA's awnser to PES 2014. I can see the same thing happening to what happened there and the game barely lasting a few weeks after release.

Shearer God / Dags What you said about every match being the same. Its not going to get any better.

EA cannot build anything next year on this, this game is going down a dead end. Too many aspects need a reboot and a better holostic programming structure. EA's need a philosophy to stick to as making each title the extreme opposite to the last game has lead them to this inevitable dead end.

This is an animations and physics simulator. I dont even think i can even call it football. Just a human to ball physics simulator.

It's funny how every year you say pretty much the same exact thing - that FIFA is going no where and the game is doomed - and yet, crazy enough, EA keep putting out a game that so many of us find enjoyable.

Just like your prediction that the PES retail code would be totally different from the demo, far less arcadey and more tactical, which it isn't. You probably should get out of the predicting the future business. Or at least don't quit your day job.

This is an animations and physics simulator. I dont even think i can even call it football. Just a human to ball physics simulator.
Sounds insightful, but what does it even mean? All video sports games are human movement and ball physics simulators, lol. The rhetotic around here really gets old. Both games replicate football better in some areas than others. I played PES more than FIFA last year because I felt it was the better game. This year I will be playing FIFA more than PES, and for the same reason. That's it, that's all any of this personal opinionating comes down to, and ever will come down to.

EA cannot build anything next year on this, this game is going down a dead end. Too many aspects need a reboot and a better holostic programming structure. EA's need a philosophy to stick to as making each title the extreme opposite to the last game has lead them to this inevitable dead end.

Tried to Google this...still baffled.

It's funny how every year you say pretty much the same exact thing - that FIFA is going no where and the game is doomed - and yet, crazy enough, EA keep putting out a game that so many of us find enjoyable.

FIFA gets away with it from its main fanbase where gameplay isn't too critical for people who buy the product, FIFA will never die in this respect, my point is the game for me has the flat out wrong principles going forward. So the gameplay like the american dollar is building up a huge debt it doesn't want to deal will until until its too late essentially.

I do tend to be arguments against PES 6 because its more of a cult now if anything, thing is that game is still going and people love it almost 10 years after it was released, same with PES 5, PES 2013 still has a huge following on PESedit, when it comes to EA games, which FIFA game do you still see people enjoying years after its release? EA relies heavily on the demo and early happiness and hype to sell the game.

FIFA was very arcadey last year and what worked for the mass fanbase of kids is that many things happened and it was responsive, broken in places but if you didn't care about too much realism it was the game for you, if you did care about realism, matt10 was your answer, just to get it to play slowly at least, this year, how on earth are people going to keep playing a game offline when the AI are so, pathetically easy to defend against?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXh6Klm5JXU

Stumbled across some of these new Manager Mode vids and in all of them, few chances, not a lot happening and the user usually wins by a goal or is a draw. Because of the AI! Same issues with me and the demo.

The only settings i found a challenge in the demo was legendary full manual and Seattle Sounders vs a 5 star team. It wasant enjoyable, oh no, just a challenge.

Just like your prediction that the PES retail code would be totally different from the demo,

It was in the end, felt better and more refined and a tad bit slower with more midfield play than the demo. Again similar to last year. So i was right on that :)) what was different was i did expect 1 bar to be changed and it hasn't, well yet, since online 1 bar feels a bit different.

far less arcadey and more tactical, which it isn't.

It is on the settings i use. (Pass manual, shooting manual, -1 speed on either Top player or superstar)

When it comes to tactics the game isn't even ready yet due to Konami's gross incompetence regarding the roster update, i haven't started editing them and the ones setup are totally wrong and messed up anyway. I'm actually looking forward to doing them against this year as i'm sure they will have an even better effect than last year.

Sounds insightful, but what does it even mean? All video sports games are human movement and ball physics simulators, lol. The rhetotic around here really gets old. Both games replicate football better in some areas than others. I played PES more than FIFA last year because I felt it was the better game. This year I will be playing FIFA more than PES, and for the same reason. That's it, that's all any of this personal opinionating comes down to, and ever will come down to.

I think what interest me the most as yourself would justify, i see the vast majority of people who like FIFA 16 here are doing what i used to do with FIFA but no longer do anymore.

Playing FIFA in a noncompetitive way.

You play well within your best level, or you don't want to master the game and all of its controls, so you play to what seems and feels nice or realistic towards your own awareness of football.

This is why i'm so harsh and unhappy with FIFA all the time and very critical. I play football games and the enjoyment comes from the competitive challenge from the AI or a human, whatever settings used. Essentially the problem is me and my refusal to play the game restricting myself.

Tried to Google this...still baffled.

Sorry i was tired this morning, wrote that on my phone when i woke up. Should make more sense now.

Last edited:

@klash

i'm waiting for your review of pes 2016 PC :)

Sorry man i can't review PES 2016 on PC since my laptop died more than a month ago, i can use it on my desktop but the video card is now having issues and PES 2015 stopped running at times due to it.

Till i get the laptop situation sorted i can't use PES 2016 on PC :(

What i find strange is one video looked like the PS3 gameplay was on PC but feedback says its exactly like the PS4 gameplay but with dogshit graphics.

Finally got around to a few matches of the PES 2016 demo on PC, to compare with probably 20 on FIFA. PES was initially really refreshing in how different it is. From just the demos, for me it's going to come down to:

Can modders/patches of FIFA make different teams play differently, and can tweaking sliders/changing stats impact player differentiation?

Because FIFA is better in every single aspect of the overall package, and every aspect of gameplay EXCEPT I can't see feel teams being different.

And in the end as a single-player gamer, that's why I bother playing more than 1 match at a time. Oh, it's Chelsea next, change my tactics. Oh then a Carling Cup against Ipswitch? Change the tactics.

In previous FIFAs it's not a made a lick of difference. In fact, the lower league teams are normally much more difficult.

As someone who really couldn't care less for online play in football games, it is very much PES2016 for me this year; simply a far superior designed product for offline, be that single player or local multi-player. It is a bit funky in places no doubt - a bit of a throwback in terms of presentation - but it just has more soul. I'll take the pretendo-verse of PES any day over a Sky Sports simulator, which is what FIFA has mutated into the last few years. I play footy games to escape the obnoxious, often boring reality of the modern game, not to revel in it.

I have to say I find the accusations that PES is a more arcade-like experience completely laughable. I actually like what PES is trying to do and there is a long way to go yet in doing so: implementing more contextual moments of skill and flair via very simple command prompts, with player individuality allowed to shine through on a more organic level. I have been playing as Hellas Verona an awful lot and that team, with Luca Toni the focal point of attack, illustrates just how far ahead PES is with regards to player individuality. I can all but guarantee that FIFA's version of the same team will simply not be able match PES' regards authenticity in playing style and player individuality.

I don't think FIFA is a poor game and in some regards is a technical marvel, but it is so weird for a game that slavishly looks to adhere to the real world it just can't inspire much passion in me when playing. It is a very pretty game and impressive in motion when viewing. The problem is once I get the pad in my hand the gameplay just doesn't match the visual splendour. It's just all a bit lifeless.

PES2016 the best football game ever? A high n' mighty claim and one I would be somewhat reticent in agreeing with. There are moments, pockets of brilliance when playing, when it does feel that way. I'm playing (stuck with) the PS3 version and can honestly say that so far as out on the field goes, it is easily up their with the best football games of its generation and probably of the current one too. I couldn't say it is better than a PES5 or 6, even though it probably is and is doing more than those games could, but no football game since those PS2 classics has had me hooked in quite the same way those did.

To be quite honest I think a third candidate entering the debate would be welcome.

I think Klashman makes a very good point regards the cult of PES. There are indeed those who still swear by older versions of the game, and in some ways that is testament to PES' developers always willing to try and change it up, that has people have a favorite in the series which they can still get ridiculous numbers of hours enjoyment from. No mean feat for a sports title.

Sorry man i can't review PES 2016 on PC since my laptop died more than a month ago, i can use it on my desktop but the video card is now having issues and PES 2015 stopped running at times due to it.

Till i get the laptop situation sorted i can't use PES 2016 on PC :(

What i find strange is one video looked like the PS3 gameplay was on PC but feedback says its exactly like the PS4 gameplay but with dogshit graphics.

sad to hear it...

i hope you will fix it soon mate.

Not really, I've been quite supportive to people asking questions in the other threads about various things such as updating the kits etc. I am however happy to take digs at the PC version because it's utter shit compared to the PS4 version and an insult to PC gamers and PC developers.

Well, the PC version should be better than the PS4 version, even with minimal effort that should naturally happen because the PC can use DSR/SweetFX/basic things that PCs have as standard, but it's not it's barely better than the last gen version.

Background:

Need help to choose between the 2 games (only buying one) for the PS4.
Bought PES 2013, FIFA 14 and PES 2015. Been a PES fan since PS2 days, but recently found FIFA 16 demo to be quite impressive.

Tried both demos and here are my thoughts:

FIFA 16:
Graphics - Presentation is amazing. Overall color scheme much bolder and sharper than PES, which looks bland. Overall, PES is beginning to look very amateurish (like a PS2 game coated in the FOX Engine). PES player faces are incredible though.
Commentary - FIFA is really close to a TV broadcast with alot of relevant information being spoken. PES has improved but the phrases seem very general for any situation.
Animation - FIFA take longer to execute but the players still feel solid. Good momentum. PES responsiveness is far higher but i do find the collision system to excuse too much rough tackling.
Fouls - FIFA actually has sensible refereeing, which allows for freekicks to be part of your offensive arsenal.
Defending - much improved responsiveness vs that horrendous defensive system they implemented in FIFA 14. Now its much simpler and intuitive, but i still find the double pressing of PES better.
Free-kicks and Corner Kicks - the angle looks much better and more exciting than PES. Need more fouls in PES... i went through a game hacking away like Vinnie Jones and didnt even get booked!!!
Replays - much better than PES. More photo-realistic, although I find the heads look strangely attached to the bodies.
Atmosphere - chants seem much more lively and authentic (just able to play Barc vs Real Madrid in demo).
Formations - much tidier menu systems. I don't know why PES has made it so complex this year.
Individuality - much better in PES. This year seems like the midfield battles are more refined in PES, with much more unpredictability. Not sure about FIFA, as the demo only has two teams. Have people found the teams in the FIFA retail version to show distinctive tactics and styles?
My needs - My family life means I tend to play rarely but when I do it tends to be offline. I would like to play as Liverpool during a season, including EPL, FA Cup, Champions League. Also would like to play a World Cup tournament if possible.
Goalkeepers - FIFA seems much better, with some good half-saves or deflections into the goal.

Would appreciate any impartial advice. Thanks

As someone who really couldn't care less for online play in football games, it is very much PES2016 for me this year; simply a far superior designed product for offline, be that single player or local multi-player. It is a bit funky in places no doubt - a bit of a throwback in terms of presentation - but it just has more soul. I'll take the pretendo-verse of PES any day over a Sky Sports simulator, which is what FIFA has mutated into the last few years. I play footy games to escape the obnoxious, often boring reality of the modern game, not to revel in it.

I have to say I find the accusations that PES is a more arcade-like experience completely laughable. I actually like what PES is trying to do and there is a long way to go yet in doing so: implementing more contextual moments of skill and flair via very simple command prompts, with player individuality allowed to shine through on a more organic level. I have been playing as Hellas Verona an awful lot and that team, with Luca Toni the focal point of attack, illustrates just how far ahead PES is with regards to player individuality. I can all but guarantee that FIFA's version of the same team will simply not be able match PES' regards authenticity in playing style and player individuality.

I don't think FIFA is a poor game and in some regards is a technical marvel, but it is so weird for a game that slavishly looks to adhere to the real world it just can't inspire much passion in me when playing. It is a very pretty game and impressive in motion when viewing. The problem is once I get the pad in my hand the gameplay just doesn't match the visual splendour. It's just all a bit lifeless.

PES2016 the best football game ever? A high n' mighty claim and one I would be somewhat reticent in agreeing with. There are moments, pockets of brilliance when playing, when it does feel that way. I'm playing (stuck with) the PS3 version and can honestly say that so far as out on the field goes, it is easily up their with the best football games of its generation and probably of the current one too. I couldn't say it is better than a PES5 or 6, even though it probably is and is doing more than those games could, but no football game since those PS2 classics has had me hooked in quite the same way those did.

To be quite honest I think a third candidate entering the debate would be welcome.

I think Klashman makes a very good point regards the cult of PES. There are indeed those who still swear by older versions of the game, and in some ways that is testament to PES' developers always willing to try and change it up, that has people have a favorite in the series which they can still get ridiculous numbers of hours enjoyment from. No mean feat for a sports title.

I agree with a lot of what you have written. This year I prefer FIFA just because for me the fundamentals arent broken but with a few changes I could easily love PES 2016. Those few changes though, namely how easy to score goals it is, how bad the keepers are and the fact there are no fouls for me in a football game are pretty big issues.

Can I ask how you are enjoying the game despite them. I appreciate enjoyment of anything is subjective but is there anything you are doing that makes a goal feel earned? I just get such an empty feeling when scoring a goal that for me its an insult to the memory of scoring a goal in PES 5. Or are these issues not so apparent on PS3?

Should I be digging the PS3 out of the wardrobe??

All comes down to personal preference, just like everything else in life.
It's exactly this, both games achieve what they set out to do. This is a shitty metaphor, but it's more like choosing between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini than it is choosing between two Lamborghinis.

Actually, I suppose a better metaphor would be... It's like choosing whether to watch Aston Villa v Everton or Valencia v Sevilla. You've got a choice between two matches that will be completely different but satisfy you in different ways.

I prefer FIFA because I'm starting to feel the individuality and I think in terms of the physics and the capturing of "my kind of football" (e.g. scrappy, hard-going English league matches), it does a fantastic job - the best job yet.

But I switch to PES when I need a change, and it's all instant-pass one-two highly-skilled stuff. It's much faster, and the passing moves are things Barcelona would be proud of, and (for me) it doesn't represent English football, but it represents Spanish football brilliantly.

Both have faults - short passes are a bit random in FIFA and the difficulty levels are unbalanced, and goals in PES rarely feel satisfying to me (like the game has decided to let me score, as opposed to it being the result of skill).

But none of that stops me enjoying the things that the games get right.

For me, if you don't get both, you make a choice between tougher, grittier and potentially boring football with FIFA, or faster, jazzier, wonder-football and excitement with PES.

My preference is the former, but that's all it is. Some days you want the apple, other days you want the chocolate bar.

I'll stop with the metaphors now.

Either way, I feel a bit like the guys who place themselves firmly in one camp or the other are quick to dismiss the benefits and/or advances of the other game.

I dont think anyone can tell someone else whats the better game.

Everything says I should love PES but I prefer FIFA this year. That might change.
Its good to have two good games this year.

PES is on right path but still bogged down by some really stupid stuff. I cant understand all the praise for the collision system as its horrible. OK the players collide but mine just stand there after. Its a great idea by Konami but again poorly implemented.

Always a case of next year for pes that year never comes.

Im not saying FIFA is perfect cos it isnt I just prefer it*

*only played Fifa demo and am comparing it to full PES16 game.

Back
Top Bottom