FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 v PES 2016

I'm reading that PES 2016 doesnt have up to date teams? WTF? Can anyone confirm?
Are Konami still being lazy bastards then? lol

I can't really fathom just how bad PES is this year.

- Shooting animations are samey and unrealistic.
- You score virtually every time you shoot at the goal.
- Keepers are typically awful.
- Players seem like they are on rails. PES is actually worse than 2014.
- Laughably bad, repetitive and overzealous commentary

+ Great player models
+ Nice individuality
+

@Pedders these are exactly my impressions. It's just beyoned me when I see some people saying it's best football game ever. I respect that but for god sake you can't be so blind, you're human being after all.

This "players on rails" is a joke of the decade. How long do we have to wait for Konami to remove that thing? Isn't that clear enough that this won't be ever removed. I had numerous examples playing 2016, that if you pass the ball the player just runs on rails, you can't do s.it about that, auto bot (some will say super cancel is there, gimme break), you can't even switch to the player that is near the ball... I can't believe some people are not seeing those things.

I also saw some some statements that collisons are better than fifa. How come? Really, how come? I'm not blind fan of either title but it's so obious once you play the PES that it is so clunky as it was before in previous PES games, nothing has changed in that matter. Of course, it's better here and there but still fundamentally broken as it was. You can see many times the same glitches that ruins the whole game again and over again. Try to just run over the player or stop just before the opponent and use R2 to step back, wait and see what happens when opponent tries to get the ball...

Last edited:

I've been a dedicated FIFA player since 08 after playing all the ISS/PES . This year I am back to PES. I have no loyalty to any brand I just prefer the pacing of PES and the models. I play offline on full manual and the game is a joy. I certainly don't see any of this rails issue plus there is an option to have manual off the ball team mate controls if you want to use it.
For me the game is perfectly balanced with the only issue of lack of fouls but I am seeing some. Early days yet but going from PES to FIFA is so chaotic even though they've slowed the game down its still end to end

Also the individuality of players, subs that make a difference is miles ahead of FIFA in my opinion

Still early days as FIFA is yet to be released properly with patches but as it stands PES for me. Knowing EA they will ruin what they have come 2nd patch when all the kids start crying it's too hard or slow

Last edited:

For me the game is perfectly balanced with the only issue of lack of fouls but I am seeing some....
With all due respect, saying it's perfectly balanced and yet still every single shot resulting with a goal and shitty goalkeepers (slow)? I know everyone can have its own opinion but for god sake how the hell people are denying it, saying such things like it's 'perfectly balanced'? It's miles away from that and that is perfectly objective opininon based on facts.

that is perfectly objective opininon based on facts.

Well, no, not facts - its subjective user opinions in the end, so maybe just get over it and except that people don't see it the same, or even play the game different, or maybe just play manual and experience it a different way, play at a different game speed .. arent as good at shooting, used a combination of teams where keepers stats are different, let alone who they used to strike with at that time, did they have emotions switched on, were they in BAL ..... many ... many reasons.

If people want to lampoon others about facts, list the exact mode you play in, the exact game speed, the exact teams and strikers an GK's, the mode you were in, what setting for emotions you had on (quick game or BAL mode for example) .. who was scoring, what GK was being scored against, then you might get some tried and tested "facts".

Otherwise its user to user subjective opinions, of which yours is but one of them.

Last edited:

With all due respect, saying it's perfectly balanced and yet still every single shot resulting with a goal and shitty goalkeepers (slow)? I know everyone can have its own opinion but for god sake how the hell people are denying it, saying such things like it's 'perfectly balanced'? It's miles away from that and that is perfectly objective opininon based on facts.

ive read the keepers are awful online - maybe assisted shooting is to blame i don't know because i don't play online- but nothing has concerned me on offline as of yet - maybe manual shooting helps and, certainly every shot does not go in and my shooting rate is accurate
Settings

Top Player
Speed -1
Full manual except through balls
Camera mid range lowered to 0 height 8 zoom 5 angle (simialr to fifa dynamic)

Last edited:

I don't want to argue, neither want to convince everyone that every single shot in gol area (16m) is 99.99% goal with such a slow goalkeeper reaction. I'm playing full manual, exhibition games, just to let you know and it does not matter whether you play Real Madrid or low-level team/player rating. Everyone just scores a goal. Many many reasons? Do you really believe in what you are saying? BAL mode, combination with keepers? Should we also check the weather condition, mood ;) ? Cmon, do you really want me to record such goal? It happens all the time, it's not only me who's saying that (example http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3082907&postcount=2596), but I just can't understand why some people are not seeing any problem with that. As I said I'm not going to convince those people to say that as well and post more messages like that. Just wanted to say it once that it is beyoned me.

On the contrary, I can say that the only thing I like about new pes is that they finally did fixed the crosses. I mean that players are keen on running into crosses to take the chance of scoring goals. On the other hand that might be OP as well. As a whole package I also can't understand why the hell it got the award for best sport game, my opinion is that this is bollocks. Looking at the whole package, what's in there, what was changed the price should be at least half what it is and I'm pretty sure that every other studio would do those changes in one month rather than a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a person who played we2002 up to pes6 to death, still got so many awesome memories realted to that. I wish things were different now but I got old and I just can't be so naive I could have been as a young man years ago.

Last edited:

Wow, this thread turned into a bit of a FIFA love in :LOL:

I haven't had time to download or play FIFA and from the videos I've seen it still has the same core problems as before as i expected since my beef with FIFA is just the engine, but i haven't played it yet so i cant say too much.

What surprised me is people called FIFA dynamic and from the videos it looks the exact opposite, the pace is very, VERY linear. Its slow and it stays slow.

I think the game needs the entire engine to be revamped. EA have this old FIFA 10 base and all these mechanical mini engine stuff stuck on top which created the disaster of FIFA 15. 16 from what I've seen seems to be just 15 but a lot slower and heavily condensed to play in a specific way. its reminds me of PES 6 Shollyum patch actually, its like FIFA 15 with global edits.

Last edited:

Wow, this thread turned into a bit of a FIFA love in :LOL:

I haven't had time to download or play FIFA and from the videos I've seen it still has the same core problems as before as i expected since my beef with FIFA is just the engine, but i haven't played it yet so i cant say too much.

What surprised me is people called FIFA dynamic and from the videos it looks the exact opposite, the pace is very, VERY linear. Its slow and it stays slow.

I think the game needs the entire engine to be revamped. EA have this old FIFA 10 base and all these mechanical mini engine stuff stuck on top which created the disaster of FIFA 15. 16 from what I've seen seems to be just 15 but a lot slower and heavily condensed to play in a specific way. its reminds me of PES 6 Shollyum patch actually, its like FIFA 15 with global edits.

FIFA is a fantastic game, so it stands to reason that might be happy with it this year. I would emplore you not to make any judgements about EA's game this year before playing it. For example, I wasn't particularly impressed from just watching videos of PES 2016 this year, but I couldn't truly appreciate at just how hollow experience it is to play before actually playing it. Wait a bit. :APPLAUD:

FIFA is a fantastic game, so it stands to reason that might be happy with it this year. I would emplore you not to make any judgements about EA's game this year before playing it. For example, I wasn't particularly impressed from just watching videos of PES 2016 this year, but I couldn't truly appreciate at just how hollow experience it is to play before actually playing it. Wait a bit. :APPLAUD:

What settings did you use to play PES 2016 btw. Its easy to score using basic shooting, so most people on here have been enjoying manual shooting?

Thing is with me and FIFA I've played every single FIFA game every release and played it a lot during the bad years of 2003-07 so i know this game almost too well. FIFA has always since its conception been pretty shallow and simple, fast or slow, even when you use whatever passing settings you still don't have to work out the CPU and change your strategies every match, it simple arcade and even simple simulation.

I was so horrified and just angry with FIFA 15 with the very core issues of passing especially which is flat out broken. The whole concept behind the passing is outdated by FIFA compared to PES anyway but it's just done in such a generic way. I've been so busy so i not tried it but might find sometime later to download the demo.

Even compared to the bad years of FIFA there has always been this linear style in every FIFA where it plays at one pace and you find a golden method regardless of the settings you use to win. What i found in PES was competitive realism in the sense even at its most arcadey settings you still need to use your players strengths and use them similar to how you do in real life to succeed, the game becomes a whole different animal with certain settings.

When you compare this to FIFA which is too much 'make believe realism' You have to play in an almost noncompetitive way where you limit yourself heavily to enjoy it.

I wont say anything more in FIFA till i play it :)

Do you really believe in what you are saying? BAL mode, combination with keepers?

Because the "emotion" aspect is effected in these modes where someone else may be playing casual game where you can switch it off so this aspect on keepers or the emotion of the striker used may very well cause the balance of play change (good or bad).

Point was, many factors to take place to get a definitive fact of play that can be reproduced, and again other than that its subjective to the user.

I get it but again I was saying it's fundamentally broken. If it was up to the "emotions" then it would be "a subtle" thing. However, it's happening all the time. I wouldn't even mention that if it was subtle.

When it comes to the subjective opinion then we can always say that there is no objectivie opinions at all beacuse after all opinions come from the human being who by its nature is subjective. However, if it's such obvious thing once you play it and so many people are mentioning that even in the reviews that give PES high rate anyway, it's starting to sound more objective than subjective so that you just can't deny that.

If you still don't believe then do a test, run into goal area and just shoot and watch how slow the keeper reaction is. Success ratio is almost 100% to score a goal even with any non friendly factors like emotions, ratings etc.

In the end I agree that there are two critical issues in the PES gameplay, that is literally lack of any fouls and the shooting I was discussing. I'm skipping 'the whole package/content' thing that is laughable. There is still a chance that our beloved Konami will fix at least those two critical issues and year over year thanks to all modders we will get content we deserve, at least our money we spent on the PES deserve. If those two things will be fixed then gameplaywise it will be fun again.

Last edited:

I get it but again I was saying it's fundamentally broken. If it was up to the "emotions" then it would be "a subtle" thing. However, it's happening all the time. I wouldn't even mention that if it was subtle.

When it comes to the subjective opinion then we can always say that there is no objectivie opinions at all beacuse after all opinions come from the human being who by its nature is subjective. However, if it's such obvious thing once you play it and so many people are mentioning that even in the reviews that give PES high rate anyway, it's starting to sound more objective than subjective so that you just can't deny that.

If you still don't believe then do a test, run into goal area and just shoot and watch how slow the keeper reaction is. Success ratio is almost 100% to score a goal even with any non friendly factors like emotions, ratings etc.

In the end I agree that there are two critical issues in the PES gameplay, that is literally lack of any fouls and the shooting I was discussing. I'm skipping 'the whole package/content' thing that is laughable. There is still a chance that our beloved Konami will fix at least those two critical issues and year over year thanks to all modders we will get content we deserve, at least our money we spent on the PES deserve. If those two things will be fixed then gameplaywise it will be fun again.

i was moaning about fouls, i still think there is a lack, but im seeing 2-3 decent late tackles now depending on how i play and who the opponent is. Norwich gave the most away and was quite physical...keepers sometimes look a bit slow but still only seen a maximum 2-0 loss for me and both goals were not down to the keeper

Woah, I have registered here for about 7 years and this is my first post.

Quick bit about my history with both series. Essentially I started playing Fifa from around the late 90s and enjoyed them up until the early to mid 2000s. Then I discovered PES 3 on the PC and realised how special it was to play a game where there was independent ball physics which were separate from the players and the ball didn't stay glued to the players' feet. PES was in my opinion far ahead of Fifa up until around Fifa 11-ish, which was when EA started to catch up and also when the PES series started falling behind in many material respects.

I am a PC player, so over the years I've also been frustrated by the ways that at various points both EA and Konami have treated my platform like some leprosy-afflicted cousin. For the last few years, I have been briefly impressed with some iterations of Fifa and also PES but ultimately ended up hating them because of presentational inadequacies (PES), need for tedious amounts of user-made patch downloading and installing to get an authentic experience (PES), ping-pong style pacing of both games, terrible shooting on both, and the appalling lack of variety of goals in Fifa, and the total bypassing of midfields in both games.

With PES 2016 getting rave reviews, I bought the full game on the PC and was briefly very impressed with it, especially compared with Fifa 15. For one, the collision system is wonderful, the graphics and presentation is the usual Konami rubbish but the game plays great with great distinctiveness between teams and players of different style, and there are finally midfield battles and slow build-up play by both the AI and I is actually possible!

But then I started to notice the abhorrently bad shooting physics, where most shots seem like the ball is somewhat weightless and just loops towards the top corners and there was a distinct lack of variety in terms of power and trajectory of shots. More importantly, all the things I thought PES 2016got right, I found that the Fifa 16 demo got as well if not MUCH better.

Seriously, from what I have experienced and reading threads from those with early access to the Xbox One full game of FIFA 16, all the things I used to hate about FIFA have been improved, nearly totally fixed, or done better than PES 2016. I have scored (and have had AI score against me) diving headers, simple headers, pile-drivers from outside the box, daisy-cutters, and finesse shots that look realistic and were realistically deployed.

Crosses are now far better balanced and I will never forget an unbelievably authentic goal that the AI USA women's team scored against me. I dived in and allowed the USA winger to glide past my first defender. She then pulled off a great move which left my 2nd defender getting nothing but thin air and got to the by-line. She overhits the cross a bit and there was a despairing dive by Abbey Wambach which missed by a hair. The ball bounced on the ground and a second player followed the ball in around the near post (as even little kids are taught to do) and easily nodded it in for a goal. That was so realistic that I jumped for joy despite being on the receiving end of it.

In short, whilst everything can and should be improved upon with each new iteration, as things stand FIFA 16 gives me a game with lovely presentation which I can play with minimal editing/modification effort required, whilst addressing the vast majority of my pet hates to do with both series. I've already uninstalled PES 2016 from Steam.

^ it seems as though since 2014 konami are not putting as much effort into PC as they are next generation consoles

I haven't played the final version of FIFA so I can't say whether it lives up to the glowing praise it's receiving from people playing the early release, but after pounding PES 2016 for many hours this week, I'm blown away by how my experience is no where near as enjoyable as some are having with it.

PES 2016 might be the best PES ever, and relative to past PES's a great game, but for me it's got soooo many problems. The defensive AI can be terribly poor. Scoring is emotionless. There's still way too much scripting going on. Animation variety is still pretty limited. Player awareness can be poor. Keepers have issues still. You still have many issues with locked in animations. Transitions in possession can be clunky. Players make strange decisions at times. So many easy goals (I guess unless I play on specific settings, and tweak CPU team tactics, and change player attributes, and make other changes to the game that people then claim make it the best game ever).

Ultimately PES 2016 plays a very arcadey version of football with many subpar features. And then talk about all the non-gameplay features that are just shockingly poor.

There's a lot I like - even love - about PES 2016's gameplay. I love the individuality. I enjoy the midfield play. I love how different matches play with different teams. But as a total package, it's just not good enough for 2015.

I don't know if the final version of FIFA will be better than PES but if it's as good as the demo, it'll definitely be my preference again this year. If you're interested in a realistic representation of football, and if you're objective and not just emotionally invested in the PES franchise like so many are, I have no idea how you can claim that PES is the better representation of football.

Havent played either and tbh this year will likely be the first where I wont bother even buying a new FIFA. Got bored of 15 after a week or so, new born baby girl didnt help mind.

But reading the high scores while reading the usual issues and then reading this;
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...le-a-console-production-on-all-but-pes-report

I wouldnt be surprised if they are bumping up the scores slightly to keep it a float. As saleswise I believe it has been pretty low for a few years now. And that is both a good thing and bad thing. Gives both companies a reason to continue to neglect aspects, but atleast there will be some competition.

Either way, I'm out. I don't have the time to put up with these same issues and trying to make it work with settings, tactics or whatever.

Last edited:

I haven't played the final version of FIFA so I can't say whether it lives up to the glowing praise it's receiving from people playing the early release, but after pounding PES 2016 for many hours this week, I'm blown away by how my experience is no where near as enjoyable as some are having with it.

PES 2016 might be the best PES ever, and relative to past PES's a great game, but for me it's got soooo many problems. The defensive AI can be terribly poor. Scoring is emotionless. There's still way too much scripting going on. Animation variety is still pretty limited. Player awareness can be poor. Keepers have issues still. You still have many issues with locked in animations. Transitions in possession can be clunky. Players make strange decisions at times. So many easy goals (I guess unless I play on specific settings, and tweak CPU team tactics, and change player attributes, and make other changes to the game that people then claim make it the best game ever).

Ultimately PES 2016 plays a very arcadey version of football with many subpar features. And then talk about all the non-gameplay features that are just shockingly poor.

There's a lot I like - even love - about PES 2016's gameplay. I love the individuality. I enjoy the midfield play. I love how different matches play with different teams. But as a total package, it's just not good enough for 2015.

I don't know if the final version of FIFA will be better than PES but if it's as good as the demo, it'll definitely be my preference again this year. If you're interested in a realistic representation of football, and if you're objective and not just emotionally invested in the PES franchise like so many are, I have no idea how you can claim that PES is the better representation of football.

Agree. I'm really not impressed with PES. It does do something better than FIFA, there's just something slightly more satisfying and smooth in the feel when you have the ball and the overall speed of everything (when set to -1) but FIFA beats it in every other aspect now.

Reading that brief article tiktik refers to, I thought this bit probably confirms my suspicion about the environment the PES developers are working in and conditions they are working under. I suspect the development is under-funded and under-manned, thus so many of the piss-poor aspects of the game have remained piss-poor for over a decade now. They're basically just churning out as little as they can get away with each year, and the glowing praise in the media baffles me. The game as a package is pretty pathetic, including much of the gameplay.

Further problems at Konami were highlighted when respected financial Japanese newspaper Nikkei ran an article about a deteriorating company culture at Konami's game division. Employees "deemed useless" were apparently given menial and degrading tasks, and communication with outsiders was restricted and lunch breaks monitored.

As someone who is completly disappointed with PES 2016 ( i actually uploaded a screenshot of winning 10-4 with FC Porto on ML in top player on the first day i got the game ), I am trying FIFA 16 Demo.

Is it me, or is this FIFA different ? I am absolutly loving it. It is making me think and come up with different ways to score goals.
I never liked FIFA and always been a PES fan, so i am a little scared of one month from now, i find FIFA completly scripted and shallow. But for now, i am in love with FIFA. Weird is that the more I play FIFA, the more i find PES to be stuck in the dark ages. Loved to see the clear animation of PEPE pulling the shirt of an adversary and .... yes ... making a foul ( see PES, in football games, there are fouls )

One thing i am struggling in FIFA is dribbling and feints. How do I do feints "for PES players" ?
As someone that never played FIFA since FIFA 10, how do i reliable do scissors trick and then change direction ?
I dont want to watch a video of tutorials that show 101 pointless feints.... I just want to do the scissors :)

FIFA for me this year, and it's a surprisingly easy decision.

I can only concur with Pedders, mfmaxpower and a few others in this thread. I really don't understand the glowing praise for PES2016. I'm listening to gaming podcasts and reading articles talking about the best PES ever. It's bizarre. Perhaps it's just me.

At a base level PES2016 plays a decent game of football and excels in a few areas but all-in-all it feels a little basic, scripted, clunky, arcadey and downright broken in some aspects. It's too easy to score and keepers are not good enough, the latter being a problem for PES over the past few years, still unresolved. The distinct lack of fouls is a game-breaker for me. As an all-round product it's looking a bit sickly these days. The stadium list is threadbare, licenses are quietly being lost, commentary is still poor.

Given the above, how PES2016 can even be considered the best football game of all time is beyond me.

FIFA, on the other hand, feels like the more rounded, complete football game. I'm not just talking about licenses, presentation and all the things off-the-pitch that FIFA usually has nailed down: it's surprisingly great on the pitch too. I wasn't expecting such a solid improvement on FIFA15 so its come as a nice surprise. I'm loving the way the ball feels truly free and anything can happen. That's the essence of a great football game for me. The feeling that no two games are the same. That's the 'one more game' factor and I think FIFA has it this year.

Fifa 16 for me this year, although with the right patches/mods I may get PES futher down the line. Keepers and the ease of goals are a total deal breaker for me. Lack of fouls from the AI is just such a strange admission from a football game that it beggars belief to how that was allowed to be released.

I will say that I find PES 2016 a very frustrating game as I see glimpses within it that remind me of PES 5/6. Konami had really lost touch with that era over the last few years but there is definitely something there this year. Out of the two games I would rather PES be better as they put more stock into individuality and feeling than Fifa does with its systems built upon systems approach. On the whole though, on some really basic levels PES just doesnt cut it for me as a finished defined experience.

Fifa 16 is the best Fifa to date. Theres a really really good game of football there and they have done a great job in addressing some of the short comings the series has suffered with over the years. The systems they have built that entwine the freedom of the ball and the unpredictability of the moment captures an essence of what real life football creates and is loved for. It creates a 'just one more match' feeling that is pretty much the holy grail of sports video games.

I think Fifa 16 (if patches dont break it) will be the Fifa series PES 5. I just hope they build on it and dont break it like Konami have managed time and time again.

FIFA for me this year, and it's a surprisingly easy decision.

Given the above, how PES2016 can even be considered the best football game of all time is beyond me.

FIFA, on the other hand, feels like the more rounded, complete football game. I'm not just talking about licenses, presentation and all the things off-the-pitch that FIFA usually has nailed down: it's surprisingly great on the pitch too. I wasn't expecting such a solid improvement on FIFA15 so its come as a nice surprise. I'm loving the way the ball feels truly free and anything can happen. That's the essence of a great football game for me. The feeling that no two games are the same. That's the 'one more game' factor and I think FIFA has it this year.

Just want to address a few specific points you made. Great post BTW.

The problem with much of the reviews and comparisons is that they are often based on PES 2016 v Fifa 2015. If that is the comparison then, yeah, it's no contest. PES 2016 wins hands down. But ultimately if I had to just accept either one of the above, I'd just give up a playing and watch some real games.

You pretty much hit the nail in the head about how seductively wonderful PES 2016 can seem in isolated respects. But as soon as you link up everything together, the cracks just open up. To be frank, the long term tone-deafness of both Konami and EA (until FIFA 16) in relation to the obvious gameplay flaws have been unforgiveable. The only way to draw a foul in PES 2016 is to slowly juggle and twinkle-feet the ball around on your own in midfield Juan Mata style. Hey I know he and players of that ilk do it and I am happy to if it serves a purpose (e.g. to run down the clock or pull players out of position). But if doing this is the only way to get something as fundamental as fouls into the game, then the game is broken.

I read elsewhere on this forum that someone felt the shooting in PES 2016 was like kicking one of those cheap plastic balls you picked up as a youth. And I couldn't agree more.

Meanwhile, I just read with amazement people (including professional reviewers) who claim that Fifa 16 has made at best incremental improvements on 2015. Unless the word "incremental" has undergone a huge change of meaning, I can't see how a series where previously player stats (other than pace) barely mattered, where every team largely played the same, and where the shooting was horrible/samey (but in a different way to PES 2016) is no longer that, can be described as only incremental improvements.

And you nailed it with the "on more game" comment. I am a reasonably casual gamer who nonetheless likes to play the game "the right way". I only play offline and want to experience the kind of magic that the real Real Madrid or PSG can pull off in real life in game. Don't want to play full manual or spend half my life trying different combinations of sliders. On semi-pro for passing, shooting, and a few assisted options, I can string those amazing passes and counter-attacks that I see on the TV now, without feeling over-powered or scripted. But I can't do it without thinking or trying to do a through ball without evening facing the player. I want to see (for example) those long, diagonal balls that really open the pitch up which you see great players can hit. And now I can hit those and have those hit against me. But only occasionally, just like real life. Now it's hardly the perfect representation of the game but it's gotten so much closer than any other football game ever.

The gap is now so huge that I just can't see Konami catching up any time soon. And how the games have been reviewed (the community feedback has been way better) truly lead me to question the understanding of the game on the part of many of the reviewers.

Back
Top Bottom