FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Currently and patches can change things PES is the game that i get on with and i think its just purely down to the flow of the game and the way the ball moves and the players move. I just prefer it.
I think a lot of us just love PES and the core of the game, and will always prefer to play that than anything else, because as a game, it feels great. Personally, it's just too "gamey" and not enough "cold hard reality that even Premier League players can be shit sometimes" for me, now that we're in 2018 and gaming as a whole has moved on and engines are more complex - but if the PES guys are setting out to deliver a HD version of the old PES experience (and then some), then I mean - they're making a lot of people happy.

Not only that but it is genuinely challenging (well, for me anyway - I've already seen a couple of people in the PES thread saying it's too easy now because of the high lines the AI plays, but it's certainly challenging to me) - so it certainly has some benefits FIFA doesn't have.

I just love what FIFA has to offer - particularly the tactics and how varied each match is. But when it gets too easy, there's no way I'll be able to keep playing it. I hope (but doubt) they'll patch the higher difficulty settings.

I've already started playing Football Manager most nights out of fear that, if I play FIFA too much, it'll be a walkover. I bought a couple of free transfers in my Tranmere (FIFA) career mode and it immediately made things easier...

I couldn't disagree more. PES goalkeepers tend to weirdly float into the air for high shots.

Totally agree.
There's one particular animation that's an immersion killer for me. When you shoot from outside the box, to the opposite post to which the GK is standing at (in a diagonal line, so to speak). So floaty, unnatural and perfectly timed that makes not want to try that type of shot anymore. So whenever I'm in that position to take the shot, I just do something else so I don't have to see see that animation.

Totally agree.
There's one particular animation that's an immersion killer for me. When you shoot from outside the box, to the opposite post to which the GK is standing at (in a diagonal line, so to speak). So floaty, unnatural and perfectly timed that makes not want to try that type of shot anymore. So whenever I'm in that position to take the shot, I just do something else so I don't have to see see that animation.

Don't agree. Some shoots outside the box keepers react floaty but not all the time. Most dives looks natural inside and outside the box. In FIFA all dives are too acrobatic.

Last edited:
Don't agree. Some shoots outside the box keepers react floaty but not all the time. Most dives looks natural inside and outside the box. In FIFA all dives are too acrobatic.

They need to patch the keepers and change the animations. There are still animations from ISS on SNES in there. No keeper dives forward to catch a shot thundering towards him. Also the keepers dive high and slowly float down in a weird way.

Don't agree. Some shoot outside the box keepers react floaty but not all the time. Most dives looks natural inside and outside the box. In FIFA all dives are acrobatic.

Oh come on, that's just false on every level. I've been pummeling FIFA for a long time now and there are plenty of saves that are contextual and natural. The floaty keepers in PES are a thing and I also won't play it because of that.

I'm talking about a particular type of animation. That's why I described the whole thing. You just decided to pick it apart and made it look like I said all GK animations look unnatural. Most of them are great. The one I described is the worst, and has been in PES for as long as I can remember.

I think one can hardly judge occasional goalie animations in PES while basicly the whole FIFA animation system is stuck the mid 2000s (excuse my hyperbole).

The thing with PES that still really annoys me is the rigid player movements and animations. I can’t enjoy the ball with a winger, it’s pass pass pass. Fifa nails that feeling of being in control of Eden Hazard, for example.

Just played a match v Benfica in PES 2019 and my players all decided to turn into zombies that couldn’t run or turn.

This happens too much. The TS in PES and form in FIFA really spoil the master league and career modes.

I think one can hardly judge occasional goalie animations in PES while basicly the whole FIFA animation system is stuck the mid 2000s (excuse my hyperbole).

actually, there is many great animations in fifa but you DON'T WANT to see it : earial battle , volleys , some shooting animations , jumping , heading , when player losing balance has ton of rly good animations . Pes when it comes to variety of animations is just poor.When you see many moments in fifa you dont feel like there is something what is scripted and it look natural and random in good way . In pes i have feeling that some moment are scripted as hell - maybe because no big variety of animations or just outdate game mechanics ? i dont know how to describe this. Yes , transsition of running animation is more fluid in pes , can't deny this but again .... does this one thing make pes overall game with better animation system ? no . Some people will point out all small problems in fifa and will make it look as much game breaker as it is possible but somehow they can't see similar problems in pes :D no offence , but sometimes it fells like some guys suffer from ,,fifa syndrome ''

Last edited:
but if the PES guys are setting out to deliver a HD version of the old PES experience (and then some), then I mean - they're making a lot of people happy.

I agree with most of what you say Chris but what is keeping me from buying the game is what i am still reading about over powered shots and passing. New PES has been like this for a while and retro PES was never like this. Yes it was on rails but shooting and passing was stat based. So they are not making me happy.

actually, there is many great animations in fifa but you DON'T WANT to see it : earial battle , volleys , some shooting animations , jumping , heading , when player losing balance has ton of rly good animations . Pes when it comes to variety of animations is just poor.When you see many moments in fifa you dont feel like there is something what is scripted and it look natural and random in good way . In pes i have feeling that some moment are scripted as hell - maybe because no big variety of animations or just outdate game mechanics ? i dont know how to describe this. Yes , transsition of running animation is more fluid in pes , can't deny this but again .... does this one thing make pes overall game with better animation system ? no . Some people will point out all small problems in fifa and will make it look as much game breaker as it is possible but somehow they can't see similar problems in pes :D no offence , but sometimes it fells like some guys suffer from ,,fifa syndrome ''
i think if you look there are a lot of people who enjoyed fifa more including myself post 2008 up to 16 and then it went downhill for some so they started drifting back to PES. 17 was a key year for me. Fifa 18 was good on release but got poorer wit patches. PES is now back to its old self somewhat. Does FIFA have some great animations , of course it does. But the player running one is terrible for me (same as 17 and 18) and with the ball physics just make it dull to play and dull to score.

What I will say, when I watch a Premier League or EFL game on tv, I crave fifa 19. Just watched Spurs v City now I need some Career Mode.

PES just doesn’t cut it for the English style football...there isn’t enough physicality or loose touches. Everything feels technical and like 90s Italian paced football in PES which isn’t a bad thing, just not what I’m always in the mood for.

I suffer from the "what the hell has this got to do with reality" syndrome.

The animations sequences in FIFA are not generally bad, as you can see in replays which are looking fine most of the time. But it suffers from 2 major problems:

1) Animation sequence speed is too fast (even on slow speed)
2) Animation sequence transitions are mostly edgy and strictly optimized for response

I could live with it if just exceptional animations are poorly implemented. But if permantent recurring soccer basics like passing, turning and walking/sprinting looks that edgy and unnatural speedy, it´s not just a problem to the eye but a problem for realistic soccer gaming in general.

Worst thing in this regard is the 90-degree-turn during a sprint. Try this yourself and tell me if this is a perversion of the sport and physics or not.

One thing that FIFA is terrible for is clipping. So many times the ball passes through the standing leg as he's about to shoot .Looks ridiculous.

I suffer from the "what the hell has this got to do with reality" syndrome.

The animations sequences in FIFA are not generally bad, as you can see in replays which are looking fine most of the time. But it suffers from 2 major problems:

1) Animation sequence speed is too fast (even on slow speed)
2) Animation sequence transitions are mostly edgy and strictly optimized for response

I could live with it if just exceptional animations are poorly implemented. But if permantent recurring soccer basics like passing, turning and walking/sprinting looks that edgy and unnatural speedy, it´s not just a problem to the eye but a problem for realistic soccer gaming in general.

Worst thing in this regard is the 90-degree-turn during a sprint. Try this yourself and tell me if this is a perversion of the sport and physics or not.
Exactly.
If you watch a Fifa replay in slow motion it looks very good most of the time.
Very layered and detailed with good flexibility.

But the problem begins when you start to play the actual gameplay again.
Most of the animations are then unnaturally sped up and unbalanced,and as you say,are strictly optimized for response,either it's how you pass the ball or turn etc.It's an issue even if you put it on slow.
If you try to fix it with sliders it just becomes worse and then other side-effects start to appear.

The game is just designed to be this way.That's why the majority of Fifa players especially teens like it cause it's fun like this and very responsive and they don't care if animations look sped-up and unstable and that's why they find Pes sluggish and unresponsive cause Pes has an actual movement momentum and weight.You can actually wrong foot and dribble pass an opponent with the movement momentum and it feels and looks so good.

Pes has some outdated and ugly animations though in some cases but fortunatelly they're not very common and i hope they'll remove them and put other new and better ones because they ruin the generally great amount of animations that it has.
Some GK dives where they dive front and high and others when they float in the air like superman look very ugly and outdated and i've been waiting for them to fix them for some years now.
Also a particular shot animation where you hit the ball with the inside of the boot and it unnaturally bends like you hit it with the outside of the boot.I hate this animation.Also some weird cross ones.
But as i said i don't see these things very often now but still i want them to fix these things cause when they happen they just ruin the general great feel animationwise that this game offers.

As for Fifa,it's just a shame that they focus seems to be to deliver response at any cost without paying much attention to the side-effects that this brings.It's very detailed with many layers and possibilities and if it had a more stable and natural animation system with proper movement momentum and weight it would play and feel so much better in my opinion.

One thing that FIFA is terrible for is clipping. So many times the ball passes through the standing leg as he's about to shoot .Looks ridiculous.
Agree.
Pes also has some ridiculous clipping issues sometimes especially with body parts into body parts.
I'm waiting for this shit to be fixed or at least improved for years now.
You don't notice it in the actual gameplay but when you see it in replays yeah...it's WTF moments...
I don't think they can fix this 100% though.It would be extremelly difficult to have the ball and every little body element completely independent so it would detect every tiny collision.
Maybe in the next gen of gaming they'll be able to improve it significally though hopefully but something tells me that this next gen won't be so magical and evolved as we may think.I hope i'm wrong.

Well those that know me this year - liking one then not the other and vice versa - will be pleased to say Ive finally decided on a game that will get my time....and that game is....PES19.
I just love the way it feels and looks (especially day time matches). Ive changed to Broadcast Cam and its come alive for me. I just wish you could pan out a bit. Once you get used to the camera suddenly changing its the best view for me.
I like Fifa a lot and played it with a mate at the weekend and we had 3 good games.
I think both games are best when 1v1 in the same room.
The only thing spoiling my PES is the Master League - its crap.
I really want to start one with Napoli but I dont like the mode at all. I dont like how a player can play 5 mins and then have his rating boosted by 2. Plus the other highlighted issues.
But PES19 is my choice.

I give it literally a week. ;)

I give it a whole Master League season. Although he probably will be tempted to throw it out the window halfway through it out of boredom and rage, because of how empty and scripted it is at the same time.

Hey don't say we didn't warn you man.

I give it a whole Master League season. Although he probably will be tempted to throw it out the window halfway through it out of boredom and rage, because of how empty and scripted it is at the same time.

Hey don't say we didn't warn you man.

I think I'll just play a league season. Stops the master league madness

I think I'll just play a league season. Stops the master league madness

I don't know if that's not scripted, but hopefully not :D Good luck and enjoy the time you spend with it. I actually hope you prove us all wrong and come back here in a month or two and say you can't stop playing it.

I don´t get what´s so exciting about these career modes anyway, i always favour league games and tournaments with authentic squads over those fantasy modes.
Really? Yikes, I think you're in the minority there. I can't think of anything more boring than playing with the same team week in week out, with no way to solve your team's biggest strategic problems by buying/selling players, and just "making do" every week, and then it stops after fortyish games.

Back
Top Bottom