FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Since the patch PES 2019 definitely plays a better game of football than fifa does. It just feels right when in possession.
Everything is still on rails, there are no misplaced passes (only interceptions), nor poor contacts with the ball. I entirely disagree that it plays a better game of football - it plays a better game of PES. In my honest (and blunt) opinion, a lot of us want that more than we want a football game.

That being said, the AI is much more challenging - perfect for the guys who are finding FIFA way too easy (thankfully, I'm not one of them) - and in terms of modern PES releases, it's a great game, now that you've got the on-the-ball feel and the AI improvements that have been made.

Looking forward to giving a Master League a real go tonight, because it has the potential to be a great game - but everything is so snap-to-grid, and rigid, and perfect. It's not a FIFA beater, for me (that's not to say FIFA is perfect because it's not, obviously).

Everything is still on rails, AI accuracy allows for no misplaced passes or poor contacts. I entirely disagree. It's a great PES name, but no representation of football. In my honest (and blunt) opinion.

That being said, the AI is much more challenging - perfect for the guys who are finding FIFA way too easy (thankfully, I'm not one of them).

As PES games go, it's a great PES game now that you've got the on-the-ball feel and the AI improvements that have been made.

Looking forward to giving a Master League a real go tonight, because it has the potential to be a great game - but everything is so snap-to-grid, and rigid, and perfect. It's not a FIFA beater, for me (that's not to say FIFA is perfect because it's not, obviously).
I agree, it's definitely on rails and a 'simpler' game than FIFA but thats why I like it I think. FIFA feels all over the place. It's like the game cant keep up with itself at times.

With FIFA, there's too much tinkering and messing around with sliders, cameras, assists, trying to find that sweet spot that doesnt exist [for me] rather than just playing the thing.

I will still go back to my FIFA 19 career mode from time to time but that game, man, I dunno....it hurts my brain! :LOL:

I will still go back to my FIFA 19 career mode from time to time but that game, man, I dunno....it hurts my brain! :LOL:
I think this is the issue a lot of us have - the game does so much at once. For me, that's incredible - I watch a real-life game and see all of it replicated in FIFA, from the physicality to the deflections around the area, the scrappy passes and the scrappy goals (glorious).

My one fear with FIFA is that it gets too easy - and the benefit PES has, with the "rigidity" I mention, is that rigidity and less variety = less conditions for the AI to worry about (like a chess board that's a quarter of the size), making it easier for the AI to manage each match (without cheating) and make winning much more difficult.

I'm so scared of that happening, in-fact, that I've switched over to Football Manager, and have started playing a few times a week (whereas before I was playing before work, at lunch, and after work)...

I think this is the issue a lot of us have - the game does so much at once. For me, that's incredible - I watch a real-life game and see all of it replicated in FIFA, from the physicality to the deflections around the area, the scrappy passes and the scrappy goals (glorious).

My one fear with FIFA is that it gets too easy - and the benefit PES has, with the "rigidity" I mention, is that rigidity and less variety = less conditions for the AI to worry about (like a chess board that's a quarter of the size), making it easier for the AI to manage each match (without cheating) and make winning much more difficult.

I'm so scared of that happening, in-fact, that I've switched over to Football Manager, and have started playing a few times a week (whereas before I was playing before work, at lunch, and after work)...
This is the key thing for me Chris, it DOES get too easy...there's no escaping it. I even had to go over to FUT [yuck!] to see what the fuss was about [and its definitely far more tougher on there in single player seasons games etc]

FIFA 19 is so....soooooo good in places, I like it a lot. But there's simply not enough challenge when your players hit form, and they ALWAYS hit form and in turn this makes the CPU all of a sudden 'forget' how to defend, its really weird AI. :(

A huge issue for me in this year's fifa as well is that the CPU more often than not pushes both of it's right back and left back far too high when attacking so when I counter attack, there's simply too much space to run into and again, makes the game easy to score. But only on career mode or Kick Off games, it doesnt happen in FUT. That mode, man...its the work of the Satan for us Career Geeks.

FIFA 19 is so....soooooo good in places, I like it a lot. But there's simply not enough challenge when your players hit form, and they ALWAYS hit form :(
Yeah, form definitely makes a difference.

I begged Corey and co. to look at adding a form "switch" so that we can turn it off - not sure it's possible (because attribute growth is built into the game, for obvious reasons) but he did confirm in a tweet he'd taken note.

But if it's too easy for you now - and there's no escaping that it is for a lot of people - then I can see why you'd have to stop playing it (I'd try to make it harder via sliders, but then you're going to get the tiki-taka shit)...

Yeah, form definitely makes a difference.

I begged Corey and co. to look at adding a form "switch" so that we can turn it off - not sure it's possible (because attribute growth is built into the game, for obvious reasons) but he did confirm in a tweet he'd taken note.

But if it's too easy for you now - and there's no escaping that it is for a lot of people - then I can see why you'd have to stop playing it (I'd try to make it harder via sliders, but then you're going to get the tiki-taka shit)...
EA have been good with patching FIFA and listening to us, so I live in hope.

Have you seen yet where players clash off the ball and one of them can go down holding their face or something? I had that recently where the players were running back after a goal kick was taken, the CPU player's elbow caught Reach in the face and he went down clutching his face, I didn't even see it in realtime I just saw him on the ground holding his face so checked the replay to see what happened, it looked accidental and of course a foul wasn't given but it was still amazing to see that kind of thing in a video game :)

Have you seen yet where players clash off the ball and one of them can go down holding their face or something? I had that recently where the players were running back after a goal kick was taken, the CPU player's elbow caught Reach in the face and he went down clutching his face, I didn't even see it in realtime I just saw him on the ground holding his face so checked the replay to see what happened, it looked accidental and of course a foul wasn't given but it was still amazing to see that kind of thing in a video game :)
Yes, and I've seen contextual injury a couple of times (I know it's been in for a while but I'd not seen it before) - where a player landed on his shoulder and was then out with a shoulder injury for a couple of months. It felt great (not for him obviously) that when I saw something and went "wow, that was a heavy fall", he was actually injured from it, instead of it just being the roll of a dice essentially.

pes patch didnt bring any significant improvments , as above ...

-still no first time touch error at all , every player got glue in their feets

-60/70 rated players with pass accurancy ala iniesta , unrealistic pass pass pass pass pass , Konami have no idea how to fix their AI so they use pingpong pass to hide outdated AI

-still no dribbling from AI

- havent seen long shoots.

-Only thing they fixed are goalkeepers .

Well , pes AI is very outdated and people believe that small patch will fix all problems thet Konami was not able to fix for last years ? please ;)

Hard to call this game ,,better game of football'' i played only 5 matches and i can see all this problems.

At the moment i enjoy much more fifa : 50/50 ,phisical battles , game doesnt look on rails like pes sometimes , more random situations than in pes , Fifa AI is still challenge to win against ,especially against top teams. Fifa just offer better gameplay when it comes to offline . 1vs1 with friends can be enjoyble in both games.

-60/70 rated players with pass accurancy ala iniesta , unrealistic pass pass pass pass pass , Konami have no idea how to fix their AI so they use pingpong pass to hide outdated AI

Well , pes AI is very outdated and people believe that small patch will fix all problems thet Konami was not able to fix for last years ? please ;)

Hard to call this game ,,better game of football'' i played only 5 matches and i can see all this problems.

At the moment i enjoy much more fifa : 50/50 ,phisical battles , game doesnt look on rails like pes sometimes , more random situations than in pes , Fifa AI is still challenge to win against ,especially against top teams. Fifa just offer better gameplay when it comes to offline . 1vs1 with friends can be enjoyble in both games.

I kind of agree with you, to an extent.
I'm not feeling what most people are over-excited about with PES' new patch. Of course I do see improvement. And it is welcome. But to me, there's almost a sense of "I wanted the patch to be great, so I'm going to overreact until I convince myself it's great indeed". People are jumping crazy about things that were there before the patch. It's silly.

The AI still strings first time passes with tremendous accuracy. Ball control is always perfect (for both human player and AI). There's no miscalculation from anyone on the pitch. Everybody's on point. Everybody has perfect timing for everything.

I will keep playing more tonight to see if it grows on me.
But it's hard because I've been really enjoying FIFA, since it came out.

The AI still strings first time passes with tremendous accuracy. Ball control is always perfect (for both human player and AI). There's no miscalculation from anyone on the pitch.
Yeah, the mind boggles that all this stuff isn't a "bigger deal".

I think once you play FIFA for a certain amount of time and you lose that feeling of "it's a game so it's always going to be robotic and all the passes are going to be perfect", it's incredibly difficult to go back and accept the way that PES functions.

It's like going from table football (where every line of players is stuck to a pole) to Subbuteo (individual player movement) - and yet there are still purists who say the original was (and will always be) better, that it somehow has more depth, despite the restrictions of it. All hail table football - the real football experience - before Subbuteo came along with their big brand name and made everything all corporate... (I guess serious fans will always have a similar mindset.)

That being said, the fact remains that PES is much more of a challenge, offline - and I admit that if FIFA becomes too easy, it's difficult to imagine how you keep it fresh.

See a lot mention that passing is perfect in PES. Both I and the AI has a average on 79-82% i guess?

When playing assisted on legendary (can't go lower if i shall be challenge) there is a lot more tiki-taka and +90% passing average.

So it all depends on how you are playing. Yes. FIFA is passing-wise better if playing with semi-assist settings on world class. But if that ain't clicking, PES' deliver a bigger challenge on higher settings (with a better pass percentage).

Yeah, the mind boggles that all this stuff isn't a "bigger deal".

I think once you play FIFA for a certain amount of time and you lose that feeling of "it's a game so it's always going to be robotic and all the passes are going to be perfect", it's incredibly difficult to go back and accept the way that PES functions.

It's like going from table football (where every line of players is stuck to a pole) to Subbuteo (individual player movement) - and yet there are still purists who say the original was (and will always be) better, that it somehow has more depth, despite the restrictions of it. All hail table football - the real football experience - before Subbuteo came along with their big brand name and made everything all corporate... (I guess serious fans will always have a similar mindset.)

That being said, the fact remains that PES is much more of a challenge, offline - and I admit that if FIFA becomes too easy, it's difficult to imagine how you keep it fresh.
You seem to have very similar views on football games to myself or rather how you like to play from what I can gather (low league English club, slow realistic gameplay, good camera angles etc)...

And how you can put up with FIFA’s AI I just don’t understand. Even with sliders, the CPU AI is absolutely horrible on fifa, even in the modern iterations of the game. The way the game flows just isn’t realistic at all.

As you know I’ve got both games and I hate the fanboy stuff. I really like fifa this year it’s the best it’s been in years, maybe ever? I will keep playing it until it gets too easy.

But saying how it’s difficult to accept how PES functions after playing lots of fifa is vastly overrating the latter’s gameplay in humble opinion. Fifa is an eyesore at times, with sliders, without them, on slow and on normal speed...it doesn’t behave like football at the best of times. For me, going back to PES after fifa is relaxing...I don’t get sweaty palms, I don’t feel so frustrated.

Of course, we all have transmitters in our brains that receive joy from certain things and for you, fifa delivers that joy more than it does for me.

I just have a difficult time understanding how anyone can find the CPU AI in fifa acceptable. It’s downright ridiculous, again, in my opinion :)

Oh and the lack of fouls is killing Career mode for me. I literally can’t remember the last free kick I won.

Fifa career mode is much better than master league but.....the moment you sign a few players and tweak the tactics you stroll through games.

I kind of agree with you, to an extent.
I'm not feeling what most people are over-excited about with PES' new patch. Of course I do see improvement. And it is welcome. But to me, there's almost a sense of "I wanted the patch to be great, so I'm going to overreact until I convince myself it's great indeed". People are jumping crazy about things that were there before the patch. It's silly.

The AI still strings first time passes with tremendous accuracy. Ball control is always perfect (for both human player and AI). There's no miscalculation from anyone on the pitch. Everybody's on point. Everybody has perfect timing for everything.

I will keep playing more tonight to see if it grows on me.
But it's hard because I've been really enjoying FIFA, since it came out.
This works in both ways you know..
For some people here and in general i bet it's more like ''I wanted the patch to be a bit of shit to prove my point that this game is not good enough,so i'm going to subconsciously prejudge it negatively until i convince myself that it's shit and that i was right from the beginning.''

It also has to do with the amount of time and focus you put on a game and you get comfortable and familiar with it so then the other game feels very different and you may not like that difference exactly because of that.
For me,after playing Pes 19 for two months and especially after this update,Fifa feels and looks like a fucking Swan Lake ballete show and i can't understand how someone can find this feel and movement closer to reality than what Pes 19 offers with it's movement,animations,weight,flow of game,fluidity etc.

I understand the first touch arguement to some point but it also has to do with the situation.In online matches that i play against good opponents i lose the ball many times due to heavy first touches if he puts pressure on you and knows how to play good defence.So it varies.It's not always perfect first touch controls and you can have the ball being dispossessed even if you control good players if you're not careful.

Also i don't see where exactly this AI pass accuracy variety is so much better in Fifa.From my experience and from the videos i'm seeing i still see teams like Swansea have 90%-92% pass completion most of the time especially on higher difficulties.As a matter of fact it can be more realistic in Pes sometimes with more error and not so high numbers,especially after this patch.

In general,in the end it all comes to what feel you prefer the most.There's no perfection in neither.You win some,you lose some.In Fifa you have a more flexible feel overall,but that comes along with an incorrect feel of weight and a ballete-ragdoll-muppet feel,the eternal issue of Fifa.
In Pes you have a more weighty,stable animation feel (some call it ''delay'',i call it realism..) that comes with a more rigid feel overall.I prefer the feel of Pes more overall.Not to mention the ball physics..Probably the most important..

Since the patch keepers AI in Pes is very good but still not good as FIFA 19. I played only 2 matches. Need play more to judge.
Where exactly do you see these perfect keepers in Fifa?
In almost every Fifa video i watch i'm seeing keepers conceding goals from the middle of their hands or just above their head while they're desperately trying to dive with acrobatic moves but rarely save,even if the ball is in a perfect height for a save,they make it look like it's somehow impossible to save it.

My thoughts exactly really.

This works in both ways you know..
For some people here and in general i bet it's more like ''I wanted the patch to be a bit of shit to prove my point that this game is not good enough,so i'm going to subconsciously prejudge it negatively until i convince myself that it's shit and that i was right from the beginning.''

It also has to do with the amount of time and focus you put on a game and you get comfortable and familiar with it so then the other game feels very different and you may not like that difference exactly because of that.
For me,after playing Pes 19 for two months and especially after this update,Fifa feels and looks like a fucking Swan Lake ballete show and i can't understand how someone can find this feel and movement closer to reality than what Pes 19 offers with it's movement,animations,weight,flow of game,fluidity etc.

I understand the first touch arguement to some point but it also has to do with the situation.In online matches that i play against good opponents i lose the ball many times due to heavy first touches if he puts pressure on you and knows how to play good defence.So it varies.It's not always perfect first touch controls and you can have the ball being dispossessed even if you control good players if you're not careful.

Also i don't see where exactly this AI pass accuracy variety is so much better in Fifa.From my experience and from the videos i'm seeing i still see teams like Swansea have 90%-92% pass completion most of the time especially on higher difficulties.As a matter of fact it can be more realistic in Pes sometimes with more error and not so high numbers,especially after this patch.

In general,in the end it all comes to what feel you prefer the most.There's no perfection in neither.You win some,you lose some.In Fifa you have a more flexible feel overall,but that comes along with an incorrect feel of weight and a ballete-ragdoll-muppet feel,the eternal issue of Fifa.
In Pes you have a more weighty,stable animation feel (some call it ''delay'',i call it realism..) that comes with a more rigid feel overall.I prefer the feel of Pes more overall.Not to mention the ball physics..Probably the most important..

Not sure why anybody who spent between 50 and 70 dollars on A GAME would want it to fail.

still no first time touch error at all , every player got glue in their feets - dribbling in PES feels miles better than FIFA for me - you can at least use defenders momentum against them and pass them

60/70 rated players with pass accurancy ala iniesta , unrealistic pass pass pass pass pass , Konami have no idea how to fix their AI so they use pingpong pass to hide outdated AI - this is just not true, seen loads of miss placed passes by poorer players and good players when pressure is applied - also seen the AI lump it out into touch when under pressure - if they were that good at passing it would hardly be put out of play

- still no dribbling from AI - could be improved but when in the right situation they dribble more and dont always look for that pass out wide

-havent seen long shoots. - could be improved and probably will given the advancement on this patch, but give the AI the right situation and they will shoot - conceded a 20 yard half volley last night which wasn't heard of pre patch - a test to see if AI will shoot dribble out with keeper to 40 yards and pass to an attacker - they will shoot which shows to me the decision making needs tweaking slightly.

Only thing they fixed are goalkeepers .- sorry but that is rubbish

- for me on the pitch this is far more enjoyable than fifa (and i also own both - more fool me for buying fifa digital) that is trying to be some sort of sim but is a bit of a technical mess as it stands - very laboured and more robotic with awful run animations at time and next to no fouls due to poor collision detection , refereeing decisions and advantage rule not implemented properly.

I'll just say that I play on Ultimate and I'm not having issues keeping lower rated clubs to under 80% pass accuracy. I've even played cup matches against shit teams in which they were in the 70s.

If this had been any year but this year I'd agree with you but this year they really did a pretty solid job making passing more realistic, even if the CPU sometimes does its first touch passing moves a little too often.

I haven't played the PES patch but in tons of games after release, I never saw anything close to the variety I see in FIFA (and really, that statement can be applied to many aspects of gameplay beyond passing).

Where exactly do you see these perfect keepers in Fifa?
In almost every Fifa video i watch i'm seeing keepers conceding goals from the middle of their hands or just above their head while they're desperately trying to dive with acrobatic moves but rarely save,even if the ball is in a perfect height for a save,they make it look like it's somehow impossible to save it.

Almost all the egregious keeper error videos that are being posted are from online matches, which has been very buggy this year. Offline keepers are fine, not to mention the recent patch that released already for PC had a bunch of keeper fixes based on the patch notes. In probably 200+ single player matches so far, I think I've seen less than 3 really bad/weird keeper errors. The only real constant gripe I've had is how slow they can be in specific situations, like going to pick up a ball, but apparently that's been addressed in the patch.

Not sure why anybody who spent between 50 and 70 dollars on A GAME would want it to fail.
Maybe because they prefer to lose some money than admiting to themselves that they were wrong in the first place.
Kinda like people who believe in god lol.
I'm just saying that people can be prejudged in both ways and won't easily admit or see any changes for the better or for the worse.

Maybe because they prefer to lose some money than admiting to themselves that they were wrong in the first place.
Kinda like people who believe in god lol.
I'm just saying that people can be prejudged in both ways and won't easily admit or see any changes for the better or for the worse.

You can't possibly believe that, mate. Nobody wants to lose money instead of admitting they were wrong.
I was wrong buying PES, I'll give you that. But I never wanted it to fail (still don't want it to).

Played FIfa 18 afte FIfa 19 and ball movement was like a breath of fresh air. Fifa 18 had it`s own flaws but gives more entertaing games than 19 that doesn`t mean better but fun was more intensive with 18 for me. Ball physics kill all the immersion for me in this game, looks strange and dated, very artificial which was not the case with previous games. Not to mention graphics which were step back compared to Fifa 18 and Pes. Now after the patch Fifa is just fun game but repetetive ai strike every second match and same pattern pass, pass, pass shoot. I can`t speak for offline but ball physics is most important thing in any sport game which is played with ball. EA really screw things up here but that is not important for them, just wait 2-3 months to see how many copies they sold. Money, money, money... :(

Actually its best fifai ever played . If fifa is repetetive then what you can say about pes where all teams play in the same way ? . Doesnt rly matter Man city or Levante . At least in fifa you can easly see difference between long ball tactic and for example balanced or possesion. In pes it's not possible at all. To be honest possesion tactic is broken for some top teams in fifa because too many tiki taka moments but at least there is difference. In pes all AI teams are like copy/paste

I didnt find ball physic to be broken as you describe it . Well , its just a little bit worse than pes but when you play game then you don't care much and there is many moment where ball physics is rly good. For me there is two things better in pes : Transition of running animation and ball physics . I must admit that dribbling sometimes is more enjoyable in pes but when you play against AI and you trying to dribble them then you fell like u want to ,,cheat game'' coz you know that AI never use dribbling against you :D Does this make pes overall better game ? hell no ! pes is like incomplete game.
Pes lack of first time touch - every touch is too perfect , many things its like on rails , scripted , i dont know how to describe it . player collision nowhere near as good as in fifa , aerial battles , stats doesnt matter , perfect first touch, perfect passes and same speed . In pes there is no difference if there is hazard or 60 rated guy against you. All things i have mentioned above are part of gameplay so how somebody can say that pes offer good gameplay ? ;)

I like to hear presentation arguments from die hard pes fanboys. This argument its like their last stronghold and its sound like very cheap manipulation coz if there is no good gameplay in fifa then i dont think presentation can compensate this for many people here who prefer fifa. Yeah guys .......... many people prefer fifa on PES website coz offline gameplay is good enough in EA game. I know many people don't want to hear it but this is how it is ;) For me fifa offer decent offline gameplay and great presentation and pes offer incomplete offline gameplay and lack of presentation.

what you can say about pes where all teams play in the same way ? Absolute nonsense - so i tried this and its simply not true, played againt chelsea who were full of flair, slick passing and attacking then played against newcastle who were weak at the back, and also parked the bus as i would expect. So to say all teams play the same is rubbish

ball physic to be broken as you describe it- although FIFAs ball physics are better post patch they are still quite bad compared to PES - there's just no comparrison

AI never use dribbling against you - again simply not true i have had multiple instances of AI dribbling past me - normally in the right situation also

PES on rails - i almost stopped reading this at this point , the whole of your post looses all credibility - PES 19 is the most free football game i have played.

Now fifa - running animations is just awful - that jerky run they cant seem to fix, the AI constant tika taka when it needs to score, absolutely zero aggression max 1 or 2 fouls per game (noted by EA) ball physics , well it was like a marble pre patch, slightly better now as above.

Package wise off the pitch EA but on the pitch - no comparison.

Over powered shooting from both human and CPU in PES always kills the game for me it’s been like that for years. Balls only going on target or just going wide or high. At least in FIFA shooting is more realistic. I have seen shots almost hit the corner flag in FIFA from me and the CPU.

For me that’s worse than a lack of free kicks. ;)

Retro PES used to have it but newer PES are completely over powered.

Everything is still on rails

Remember PES 2011's slogan? Engineered With Freedom.
I wonder what happened with that philosophy?.

This game would benefit SO much of treating the ball as a separate entity and players movement being more rounded, less edgy.

Back
Top Bottom