FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Back in the days its indeed was on rails and it added more player weight and repressed the play into more tight places. You felt you have to find way on the field to the goal. This is one of the reason we might never again see such games as PES6 and prior to that regarding player weight. There will be never ever rails in a football game, thats out dated.

However 2019 represents that very well tho with the player weights! The best for a few years.

This is a trademark PES feeling which FIFA cant represent currently as players feel like ragdolls to me.

The railness in pes especially in running path animation is what makes it feel great to wrongfooted opponent. it is a trademark, agree. As of fifa, is like running a gta v character.

Anybody else watching the Champions League games tonight?

Firstly, the Man City game. Passes barely left the floor. Yeah, a few bobbled, and bobbling would be nice. But actually, I'm expecting to see the ball reacting like it's a Sunday League pitch.

Secondly. The amount of players crumpling together into a heap, in the City game and the United game - the amount of clearances deflecting back to the strikers - it's just so much better represented in FIFA, for me.

Yep, I agree. I was watching the Liverpool Chelsea game too and comparing it to FIFA19 and it was true, the ball hardly bobbled and only noticeably when the cam was zoomed in at any time. It did look better represented in FIFA in this regard if you're taking into account the quality of pitches nowadays in the big leagues.

the one thing that pes & fifa agree each other is they are best on (decent) pc

That's what I used to think.. I mean playing pes2018 on ps4 compared to the pc version (on a good gaming pc).. I preferred the pc version.. as it was pretty much identical plus the modding aspect of it all. BUT NOW... after playing PES2019 on both ps4 (original not pro) and pc, I much prefer the ps4 version. Just seems more responsive, and seems the speed and weight is at its best. Also, is it my imagination or is the sliding in pes more prominent on the pc version. Hardly notice it while playing the ps4 version. Hard to put a finger on it.. but this year definitely I prefer the ps4 version of pes2019.

Not sure how the ps4 vs pc debate goes for Fifa19 this year..

Yep, I agree. I was watching the Liverpool Chelsea game too and comparing it to FIFA19 and it was true, the ball hardly bobbled and only noticeably when the cam was zoomed in at any time. It did look better represented in FIFA in this regard if you're taking into account the quality of pitches nowadays in the big leagues.

Exactly. People seem to be screaming for pitches that resemble 1970’s lower league games at the Camp Nou FFS.

Sometimes having the basics work how they should animationwise is preferable than having a problematic variety with twitchy and unstable animations and the eternal problem of players feeling like ballarines on Fifa.

Exactly how I see things. To me it doesn't feel like PES19 is on rails, but instead feels more 'stable' (due it to its simplicity) in the way things occur on the pitch and how players are controlled. Its a hard thing to explain, but this so called stability is what in my mind helps make the players feel more solid (weighty), and the great thing about this year is that they've also introduced more realistic first touch animations (taking a millisecond of extra time to control ball, hence slowing the game down), and the better backswing animation when passing. Anyways, back on topic - I agree that Konami's PES is far more basic/simple in its gameplay (talking more about the way animations respond to commands, and how players interact with each other) and variations, compared to FIFA. But I honestly reckon this is genius from Konami's part. This "Keep it simple stupid" approach on the ball and with its gameplay, not only makes the game easier to control (this is my personal opinion - yes, I find it easier to play and control players on full manual in pes2019 compared to fifa19) but also makes the game actually look more realistic when watching. For me, when I played (as well as watching the youtube clips of gameplay) fifa19, there seems to be too much going on, including the weird running animations, weird quick panning of ball being passed around pitch, foot sliding (not saying there aint any of this in pes) - which together adds up to a big old mess.. kinda like this post ;)
I just think less is more.. and I think both games still need to work on things like introducing more 'walking players'.. and limiting the 'everyone on the team must be running around like headless chooks' thing, which would make both games appear that much more realistic when actually watching the game on the screen.

The point about which game (pes or fifa) represents the real tv football the best is so subjective. I exclusively play PES19 atm, so naturally when I watch football from various leagues on the tv.. I actually get reminded of PES.. and I think pes19 represents the real game better than any football game to date. Im sure if I played fifa all the time id think the same about fifa. But for me, and knowing what I don't like about this year's fifa (poor animations and too much going on for my liking), fifa19 doesn't represent how I feel about tv football or the real thing at all. But again, how one views realistic looking football and how its best represented is such a subjective issue.

If you look at the new CL ball during the recent CL games on TV I think Fifa have captured that motion quite well as when it rolls it does look like a marble - maybe it's the colour of the new ball .

Exactly how I see things. To me it doesn't feel like PES19 is on rails, but instead feels more 'stable' (due it to its simplicity) in the way things occur on the pitch and how players are controlled. Its a hard thing to explain, but this so called stability is what in my mind helps make the players feel more solid (weighty), and the great thing about this year is that they've also introduced more realistic first touch animations (taking a millisecond of extra time to control ball, hence slowing the game down), and the better backswing animation when passing. Anyways, back on topic - I agree that Konami's PES is far more basic/simple in its gameplay (talking more about the way animations respond to commands, and how players interact with each other) and variations, compared to FIFA. But I honestly reckon this is genius from Konami's part. This "Keep it simple stupid" approach on the ball and with its gameplay, not only makes the game easier to control (this is my personal opinion - yes, I find it easier to play and control players on full manual in pes2019 compared to fifa19) but also makes the game actually look more realistic when watching. For me, when I played (as well as watching the youtube clips of gameplay) fifa19, there seems to be too much going on, including the weird running animations, weird quick panning of ball being passed around pitch, foot sliding (not saying there aint any of this in pes) - which together adds up to a big old mess.. kinda like this post ;)
I just think less is more.. and I think both games still need to work on things like introducing more 'walking players'.. and limiting the 'everyone on the team must be running around like headless chooks' thing, which would make both games appear that much more realistic when actually watching the game on the screen.

The point about which game (pes or fifa) represents the real tv football the best is so subjective. I exclusively play PES19 atm, so naturally when I watch football from various leagues on the tv.. I actually get reminded of PES.. and I think pes19 represents the real game better than any football game to date. Im sure if I played fifa all the time id think the same about fifa. But for me, and knowing what I don't like about this year's fifa (poor animations and too much going on for my liking), fifa19 doesn't represent how I feel about tv football or the real thing at all. But again, how one views realistic looking football and how its best represented is such a subjective issue.
summed up my thoughts exactly..with the week I've had fifa I've spent as much time altering sliders trying to make it feel like PES...so now I just play PES.

I so enjoy fifa this year , technically it's brilliant although there are some wired ball physics moments and a lack of fouls by the AI. On top of that some basic errors such as time of match selection greyed out ..night games when time says 12am etc. PES is far more simplistic but has superb physics and great weight.

This is the thing for me in the 15 or so goals I've scored none have come close to the feeling of smashing an advanced shot low past the keeper in PES ..just feels fucking special

My the youngest son 4 years old asked me all the time to buy Fifa 19 ( everywhere on Tv advertisments). On monday i will buy him. It will be time for me to check this game in particular online. We will see what happen.

if you guys playing on pc pnd does not bother online mode. you can have fifa 19 with sharing id eith friends. cut down the price up to 80% with 5 people. :D. It is a yearly game.

Both games has it owns problems in Master League and CAREER Mode.

But something I would consider in PES favor when AI is fixed, is that in Italy fx Juventus in getting a lot of points. In FIFA top 6 have the same amounts of points. Transfers is also easier through expiring contracts.. Really frustratingly easy for me.

My the youngest son 4 years old asked me all the time to buy Fifa 19 ( everywhere on Tv advertisments). On monday i will buy him. It will be time for me to check this game in particular online. We will see what happen.
So you’ve been making comments about Fifa 19 all week and you don’t even own it?

How can you form an opinion on a game you haven’t even bought?

I played a lot of demo. Don’t tell me that demo is much different than full. Its some changes no doubt but still fundamental of gameplay is similar.

I didn't enjoy the demo at all but the final release version is much better IMO. So yes, it can be quite different.

Unless you've played a game, probably best not to comment unless you're making it clear that you haven't played it.

I played a lot of demo. Don’t tell me that demo is much different than full. Its some changes no doubt but still fundamental of gameplay is similar.
I’d go so far to say that it is different to a degree where a demo review isn’t doing justice to the full version. Does that make sense?
If possible, give the full game a few hours.
Patch 1.02 is around the corner too, wich should make an even bigger difference. Just my opinion for sure. :)

So many people are saying that the FIFA full game is much better, but i can´t see anyone going into proper details. Setting the game speed to slow and tweaking sliders will have a positive effect without doubt, but i can´t look over these inconsistent animations and physics as long there is a PES game which is a million closer to the feel and flow of football as you would expect it both on TV as on the pitch on sunday.

So this years choice is more than ever dependent on the intensity you want to play the game. If you want to dive into a deep career mode to get longevity, FIFA is the one and only choice. If you are a purist like me who just wants to play some offline seasons on legendary over and over again, the shortcomings of PES in modes and the tendency to AI low crosses (which get possibly fixed to the end of October) don´t keep you from playing a soccer game that truly feels like the real thing like no game before.

...as long there is a PES game which is a million closer to the feel and flow of football as you would expect it both on TV as on the pitch on sunday.
I could not disagree with this more. All of the goals in the last Champions League matchday I watched and thought to myself, there were so few of the "perfect goals" you see in PES (i.e. a few good passes and a perfectly struck shot), whereas there were an absolute tonne of goals where players collided together, a ball ran loose, a player went on a dribble (who wouldn't ever dribble in PES if they were the AI), a shot wasn't struck perfectly, a keeper was off their line, etc. etc. etc...

There are so many match events that exist in FIFA that just aren't there in PES.

The idea that PES is more like real football - when every player passes and shoots just the same as the last guy, when you have to do skill moves in advance because of the delay in your player starting the move, where the AI plays the same way and uses the same pattern every match, where goalkeepers don't have their own AI and won't come off the line, where online is a pressure-fest and a hammer-X-because-you'll-pass-it-for-me fest, but it's still somehow a realistic game because "the ball physics are great"... It's just so totally and completely wrong. In my opinion.

PES 2019 (on the ball and nowhere else) is the best PES game there's been. But that's what it is - a PES game, not necessarily a football game.

FIFA still feels like FIFA, granted, but if you're not so used to the rails of PES and you can overlook sliding animations (plus a lack of fouls from the AI which is a real frustration), there is more of real football there.

I genuinely think that for a lot of us, PES is so ingrained into us that anything that doesn't feel like PES automatically feels "wrong" and therefore "doesn't feel like football".

Chris is right. Also, I'm a "purist" (feel strange saying that in regards to a video game.:LOL:) and I think FIFA 19 plays a much better game of football on and off the field. FIFA has actually been the better football simulator for many years now. Still not as good as the old PES games though. But FIFA 19 is knocking on the door in many ways.

I could not disagree with this more. All of the goals in the last Champions League matchday I watched and thought to myself, there were so few of the "perfect goals" you see in PES (i.e. a few good passes and a perfectly struck shot), whereas there were an absolute tonne of goals where players collided together, a ball ran loose, a player went on a dribble (who wouldn't ever dribble in PES if they were the AI), a shot wasn't struck perfectly, a keeper was off their line, etc. etc. etc...

There are so many match events that exist in FIFA that just aren't there in PES.

The idea that PES is more like real football - when every player passes and shoots just the same as the last guy, when you have to do skill moves in advance because of the delay in your player starting the move, where the AI plays the same way and uses the same pattern every match, where goalkeepers don't have their own AI and won't come off the line, where online is a pressure-fest and a hammer-X-because-you'll-pass-it-for-me fest, but it's still somehow a realistic game because "the ball physics are great"... It's just so totally and completely wrong. In my opinion.

PES 2019 (on the ball and nowhere else) is the best PES game there's been. But that's what it is - a PES game, not necessarily a football game.

FIFA still feels like FIFA, granted, but if you're not so used to the rails of PES and you can overlook sliding animations (plus a lack of fouls from the AI which is a real frustration), there is more of real football there.

I genuinely think that for a lot of us, PES is so ingrained into us that anything that doesn't feel like PES automatically feels "wrong" and therefore "doesn't feel like football".

If you put put both games on legend/legendary the importance of stats (CPU) is sacrified in wide parts to maximize the challenge, so there is a certain alignment of good and bad players. In addition to this i play full manual. This two points alone imply that we are having a complete different view on the game. And as i said, you need a very special and narrow view on football games to favor PES over FIFA, so in general i absolutely agree with you.

Neither PES nor FIFA have ingrained on me as i played more FIFA than PES until 2018 (mostly due to slider possibilities) and every i decide by the demos which game to play until next year. This year my choice was down to the question which game distracts me more from the real thing. While PES "just" lets me down at every second AI attack, FIFA lets me down at every pass and every movement.

Last edited:
Yeah @Chris Davies this does not feel like PES :TU:
:P I've very rarely happen to see that crazy tricks in my game though. How can people do that ? :THINK:
You could easily find a video of either game being "crazy" - e.g. literally any game of myClub (or FUT) ever...

But when I (or anyone) makes a comparison, we're talking about the average game - not these trick-fests. It's also why I pretty much exclusively play offline, and with friends.

I tweeted a few people at EA a while ago, asking how they (now and in future) prepare a game for two different core audiences - an offline crowd that play the AI and want realism, and an online crowd that play FUT and want the spectacular (every game being a thriller).

I didn't get a reply, and I think their honest answer would be that it's 90% designed for the online guys - yet offline gameplay is definitely a big improvement.

In a world where microtransactions get banned, both PES and FIFA will have to find other ways of making money, and then we might see real innovation.

Someone at EA tweeted a while ago that "the cost of making AAA games has increased, but the cost of buying those games has stayed the same, and people fail to take that into account" (you could argue about millions of sales offsetting that, but I think it's a valid point).

So I'm hoping that one day, there will be separate releases, e.g. a FIFA Online 2020 and a FIFA Offline 2020, or a "base" release with add-ons (e.g. you pay £20 for the base game, then £20 for each additional mode you want).

That way, you've got separate revenue streams for different parts of the game, and there are no excuses not to make strides in each area, for each type of customer. All of this applies to PES too, of course, but I can't see them doing it!

I keep saying this over and over, but FIFA has so many layers. It's crazy.
It's like there's a piece of code for every possible situation with every possible outcome.
FIFA is so hard to master. I mean you can play it, I can play it, anyone can play it. But... to MASTER it? To know the exact moment at which if you press this or move that way then this or that will happen? That's a whole different story.
Even more so for old folks like us, with so little free time to play anymore. Not complaining (Or, am I?).

Specially when dribbling. After the first PATCH I noticed there's a little more of success rate at dribbling and improved momentum contextual dribbling (much appreciated). Not a drastic change from 1.00 but still noticeable. And if you just press the right button, or the right stick in the right direction, at the right time... you might see a great contextual animation that will leave the defender stuck to the ground.

PES is so... diagonal. It's either straight or 45 degrees. Players are still so stiff when moving and changing directions, very limiting. Running animations are no good for me at all. But PES strong suit is definitely how lifelike SOME of the animations are. And ball physics of course.

Other than what I've just said, I don't think there's any competitions possible anymore. FIFA wins in every other aspect I can think of. I say this with a heavy heart, because I would love for both games to be so strong and so good. It would be a win-win for US, football fans and gamers. It's not like I want FIFA to be the best. Or PES to be the best. I would be happy if both games were a great representation of the real sport, with just the right amount of "fun" in them to make them suitable for what they are afterall: Games.

Other than what I've just said, I don't think there's any competitions possible anymore. FIFA wins in every other aspect I can think of.
Do you know what my fear is?

That they either screw up 19 with a patch, or from next year it's ruined because of something that the online guys want (that affects every match across every mode, every person who buys the game).

This is the thing with FIFA, I find. This year, they have a vision (the tactical importance is a huge shout of "we're serious about this shit" IMO) and I feel like, idiot that I am, they'll stick to it.

But put a different producer in charge next year - or get enough angry tweets from previous FUT Weekend League champions (what a shitshow that thing is) - and we'll get what could be a terrible game (and let's be honest here, sliders can't fix everything, and occasionally break something else).

So I'm enjoying the hell out of this one. For now.

For me I think the gap this year is even huge than the latest years. Take away licences and CL, the gameplay of the EA guys shines even more than their predecessor, plenty of contextual situations, small things that have a physical reason to be,the relation between "gamepad in hands" and how the game move and flow is amazing.

In terms of gameplay modes, and for me the most important one , Career Mode... It is funny how EA didn't touch it and even with that it looks mega superior than PES ML.

My conclusion, more than last years, FIFA has no rival.

For me I think the gap this year is even huge than the latest years. Take away licences and CL, the gameplay of the EA guys shines even more than their predecessor, plenty of contextual situations, small things that have a physical reason to be,the relation between "gamepad in hands" and how the game move and flow is amazing.

In terms of gameplay modes, and for me the most important one , Career Mode... It is funny how EA didn't touch it and even with that it looks mega superior than PES ML.

My conclusion, more than last years, FIFA has no rival.
Agree.

Two biggest things for me is the much better Career Mode and the varied shooting.

Shooting is Jessica Alba's level of good. I feel like I want to shoot at every possible chance, that's how good it feels.

Back
Top Bottom