FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

^
Id have to say we are complete opposites... you like fifa19 as much as I like pes2019, n hate pes as much as I hate fifa lol. We are in agreeance re online.. hate it. But for me its more to do with the stutter and delay, regarding how minor it is.. it always exists and will never be the same as playing offline.. player vs player. That's the ultimate way to play each game.

If Online is a ping- pong fest with no individuality I'll stick with PES. How is Semi- assisted in that regard?

I bought FIFA 18 but traded it in after about a week since I almost got epilepsy of the ping- ponging with semi- assisted. And since the had no player individuality manual was pointless.

I disagree. FIFA's graphics are superior now in almost every way.
It started last year, but PES was still a little ahead. But this year... FIFA definitely takes the title. For me. FOR ME.
PES looks like they added Reshade into it and that's it. It hasn't evolved as FIFA has.

FIFA needs to work on player models. Like scan player bodies or something. Different types. And then work from there. Once they get that right, it's Adios to that battle too.

Right now I still can understand if some like PES graphics more. But once I played FIFA 19 in 4K with everything maxed out, with the new Champions League lighting, I felt like... well this is almost like watching a real game on TV. The cutscenes, the live shadows, the sweat on player faces, the UV mapping of the textures (something PES is still not as good at), etc.

Stadiums are better in PES though, I'll give you that.

Kotaku: FIFA 19 v PES 2019

All of this is just so true, IMO. Including the last line.

One thing I find endlessly hilarious is that almost every review has mentioned the significance of the loss of the Champions League license, and yet that psychopath Alan would write thousand word essays on why it was irrelevant, how the smaller leagues would more than make up for it, and how they hadn't actually "lost" the license, they just didn't want it any more. The sheer arrogance and certainty he displayed makes seeing him proven wrong all the more satisfying.

Last edited:
As a pes player since pes 1 on ps2, I have to say, the loss of cl licence hit me harder than I expected. I realised once it was gone that it was the one area of pes that felt like it had some glitter, some presentational authenticity. When you played friendlies in cl mode, it felt like you were recreating those great midweek games. With it all gone, pes feels horribly dull as a package.

I just sold pes. Traded it for fifa. I've never sold a pes this early. Last year was the first time I sold it before Xmas.

It feels beautiful dribbling and passing and occasionally shooting. The graphics (which are slightly overrated i feel-few pitches look as 'noisy' As they do on pes) are generally good enough to create some excitement and verity.

But after a few hours, I felt bored. Never mind the dull cpu ai, it was the dreadful attacking teammate ai that did for me. It's the same moves over and over. The rigid, rubberband ai defences don't help, killing all possibilities for building explosive, intricate or expansive moves. And teamate AI seems to have no idea how to work against those rigid defences. There's almost never any space behind them unless your winning by 2 or 3 goals.
I cannot remember the last great team goal I scored on pes, as the attacking ai seems so disconnected from itself (pes15 on ps3 was the last time I remember creating complex, intricate moves on the fly). As Guilleme Balague would say, there's no association between the players. They dont associate.

The other problem I've found is the limited control mechanics. They've added almost no new ways to dribble or manipulate the ball since pes 2008. And the range of movement is so limited. So although pes feels good, and it's basic ball physics are better than fifa, there's so little variety in them.
(I also have a suspicion that the great net physics are animations rather than real-time physics, they never look quite right).

Having played one game on the full fifa game, on slow, the animations aren't as wonky and the ball physics are much better than the demo (still don't bobble enough). Importantly, the match expands and compresses naturally in terms of player concentration on the pitch, which barely happens on pes now. And the teammate AI for the first time feels complex and varied.

And though the pitch details is low, the overall colour scheme looks closer to real life, especially on non-night games.

It pains me to say it but (for the first time ever) pes just feels stale and dull and limited.
EA really have shown konami up by building a game, that for now at least, is considered, tactical and nuanced whilst konami continue to water down their own game chasing online high fives. The worst of this is the shambolic treatment of PA1 which is just assisted now.

If fifa sort their animations out, add more ai routines and bring the ball physics back to fifa 16 levels, I'm not sure who in Europe would buy pes anymore.

It's just a game, but within that context, how sad to see what pes has.become.
They will have to create something spectacular on ps5 to survive. But also somehow create an overall package that supports it with new modes and stadiums for the leagues they do have.
Maybe they've been redirecting resources that way for a while. Somehow I doubt it.

watching some of the latest FIFA videos in our FIFA thread... i just cant overlook the ball + physics! oh man...
i'm so spoiled by the PES system, i guess!
slow FIFA gameplay looked a little bit better than the demo, imo... but those ball movements.... :THINK:

i see myself buying it... but... :ANX:
:LOL:
Quoting myself here.
...and I bought it. ;)

Looks like I can oversee the physics a little bit. The rest is just so “distracting” I believe. :) let’s see how long it lasts. But for now... all I do since Monday is sleep, eat and play.
I even went down to the cellar to get my old armchair in the living room. I live in the 4th floor!
This speaks volumes!!

Fifa 19 on slow, 20 min matches, Matt10 OS Slider, fuma! Guess I need to update my signature. :BYE:

Last edited:
What I hate in both games: when the AI gets pressed real hard in their own third, they tend to bash the ball out of bounds!
Guess this is an AI issue we not get rid of so soon. It’s been in there for years (fifa and pes).

After playing lots of matches on both games now.....FIFA 19 graphics are better than PES 2019. They just look better when the game is in full flow.

My opinion obviously. I dont care about graphics in football gaming though....old PES games didnt have good graphics and they were the best.

The ball finally feels heavy in FIFA too.

Stadiums are better in PES though, I'll give you that.
The licensed ones are great, no doubt, but the problem with that is they're so few and far between that you hardly ever see them in a mode like ML. You play less than 5% of your games at a licensed stadium in ML if you don't pick a team with their stadium in-game. Do a Premier League Career Mode and every single stadium is there.

I completely appreciate why Konami can't do that themselvea and I'm not criticising them for it but in the spirit of a comparison thread it certainly is a reason why I pick FIFA.

Obviously that isn't the same across all leagues in FIFA too, however as a Premier League CM-playing player, the authenticity of having all the stadiums in just adds so much. Each ground has it's own look and feels different. One thing they've also nailed is the atmosphere at a game; absolutely spot on. PES is a million miles away.

I am watching my Bayern against Berlin right now. And when I watch this match, see the flow... few weeks ago I was thinking: man, only PES represents that.

But now, WITH sliders and fifa19... I guess I could do the same. :)

Just saying. ;)

After purchasing the full version I'm just not sure about the feel of the game.

Fouls are pretty much non existent and when there is one the advantage rule is lightening quick.
The premier league games are ping pong passes sometimes from impossible angles by the AI. Switched to an Italian game and that was better - slower build up
The general movement feels too light and a bit awkward

In all honesty for me if Pes can sort the AI out as planned In the next patch, on the field, PES wins hands down ...big if..pes is just more fluid and more accurate in ball physics and player movement

Waiting for that miracle AI fix patch too. I hope the keeper get fixed too.
Offline against friends I’m good with PES but against the AI... it became repetetive this year. Can not stand that LCS!!
I’ll keep both!

At this point, though I'm enjoying pes 19 quite a lot, I'd rather hope fifa get their shit together on the pitch (specifically ball and player movement) as opposed to pes getting the rest of their game up to speed. The latter is far more unrealistic as Konami have shown zero interest and/or capabilities in improving their product.

After purchasing the full version I'm just not sure about the feel of the game.

Fouls are pretty much non existent and when there is one the advantage rule is lightening quick.
The premier league games are ping pong passes sometimes from impossible angles by the AI. Switched to an Italian game and that was better - slower build up
The general movement feels too light and a bit awkward

In all honesty for me if Pes can sort the AI out as planned In the next patch, on the field, PES wins hands down ...big if..pes is just more fluid and more accurate in ball physics and player movement

How much of FIFA 19 have you played? I ask because I had a similar opinion but now that I've played quite a bit of the full release version of 19, I'm not so sure I agree. There's definitely aspects that PES is superior - player models, the smoothness of animations, some elements of the graphics, ball physics - but as a total sum I'm not sure that I agree PES is better.

The premier league games are ping pong passes sometimes from impossible angles by the AI.
If you're offline then sliders are your friend for fixing this stuff. Still not as many fouls as I'd like but there are definitely more. Have a fiddle with them; maybe look at the slider thread too.

I disagree. FIFA's graphics are superior now in almost every way.
It started last year, but PES was still a little ahead. But this year... FIFA definitely takes the title. For me. FOR ME.
PES looks like they added Reshade into it and that's it. It hasn't evolved as FIFA has.

I know it's FOR YOU, it's your personal opinion, but don't say we don't need reshade for FIFA this year.. Day lighting looks awful, washed-out and dully as F. I doubt reshade will help to resolve poor lighting at all. Apart from good looking CL night games, faces and kits - FIFA graphically is POOR, even at 4K.

I've noticed many of irksome details on FIFA that should definitely be changed. One of them is the number of SAME textured woman seating in the crowd next to each other. They all look identical, where 70% of fans are same women. It's small detail, but if look start taking notice on them you would realize it should be done way better, more realistic, similiar to what you see on the tele. For this instance, and for many more of "small details", PES makes the job and win the battle with FIFA. Some smaller graphical details on FIFA that have been neglectfully delivered kill the vibe and annoy after some time. EA are able to develop the best possible presentations, but they don't care about the DETAILS. That's sad. A small, futsal ball we had for two (?) years is the best example of that what I mean about.

I will post-up later on some graphical details from FIFA that annoy me the most this year, so we can quickly compare to what we've got from KONAMI :-).

I've spent all of tonight trying to get on with fifa but its just not happening. Some of the animations are horrible especially passing. I've adjusted sliders as I do every year. Even at 10 power some shots go off like a rocket and deflections from a slow pass speed up massively.
Put PES back on and minus the AI , which wasn't bad tonight , and it just feels right ..great weight, movement and balance and no matter what kind of goal I score in fifa it doesn't come close to a manual pass and advanced shot finish. I know it just preference but that's the way it is for me. I also think PES looks miles better on pro 4k than fifa. Class game in many ways that's only going to get better

I think FIFA 19 could be the beginning of the end for PES if Konami don't get their shit together next year.

Next year??? Lucky we get patches this year..end of october may be the end of Fifa haaha just rubbing it in

Appreciate you posting this..just to see how skewed some views are..
Lol what a read..stopped after the first 2 points...faces better in fifa than pes??? Did u see the actual examples they posted. At least they couldve used decent fifa examples to half legitamise their flawed argument.

Haha n the 2nd point...player models/shape being almost identical...wtf!!! Verdict: even!!!

I dont care about graphics in football gaming though....old PES games didnt have good graphics and they were the best.

..But old pes, im talking about pes6 n we9le or pes5 in particular, had decent looking player models as well as decent, albeit limited, animations..thats the difference - And a huge factor to the overall graphic n visuals. It had decent (although robotic due to 8 way movement) smooth animations...particularly running. I actually think their sprinting, in some ways, although limited to todays animations, looks more realistic or convincing than todays games (with n without the ball)....im referring to the quick fast steps (short quick strides/feet) when r1 sprinting...just looked like the players where really sprinting. Today the full on sprint with n without ball doesnt feel quite as convincing...the feet just dont appear to be moving as quick as they would in real life...those short quick strides when someone is really sprinting.

Had to continue reading, just to see what else he fkd up on....

Movement (eg. player running animation), verdict: Fifa19

Ball physics, verdict: Even

OMFG!!!! Cannot believe reviews like this can actually be published...well.. actually i can.$$$ Speaking of which (this big financial bias towards ea's fifa)...u know in Australia, like many other countries in the world im sure, there is so much advertisment n word surrounding the release of Fifa19. All gaming n electrical stores including most of the big discount retail chains like kmart, bigw n target, heavily advertised fifa19. Not one mention of Pes19..literally anywhere in australia. No wonder the
kids know nothing about PES...

A small, futsal ball we had for two (?) years is the best example of that what I mean about.

Actually... (a brief chance to say something positive about fifa for once) it appears ea finally listened n introduced a size 5 ball...in gameplay view atleast. Not sure about cut scenes...as I havent investigated. But its gameplay what matters.. so that's a good thing.

whats interesting is in PES19...seems the ball appears bigger (which i think looks better) in the ps4 ver compared to pc version. Could actually be dependant on type of ball though..even in pc it appears the modded balls in pes19 seem slightly smaller than the originals...

...that small ball in fifa has bugged me for so long ...couldnt get past it. Was it fifa14 or 16 that had a decent sized ball..went downhill from 17 i think...

Last edited:

You see lots of people praising FIFA 19 and their attention to details, but it's not without annoyance and questionable designs. This is pretty fair video.
In the spirit of comparison:

1) PES has nothing like this; what FIFA has is better than nothing
2) I haven't noticed as I never have that many. I think PES is unlimited?
3) Can you do that on PES?
4) Again, PES have absolutely no licensed presentation for any league they have.
5) Fair point, PES had it. I don't doubt FIFA will before the year is out though.
6) I think PES does that better but they still have issues.
7) Again, can you even sign players on pre-contracts on PES?
8) That's a fair point, although PES menus aren't great
9) Again, fair point; same happened with Tony Pulis and his cap. Still better than what's on offer elsewhere though.
10) Happens in both; I was offered the Liverpool job in ML when bottom of the Championship.
11) Fair point and PES do this a lot better.
12) I wouldn't say that's a fair criticism as they replaced it with budget management, which is better.
13) It's a fairly pointless feature but again, against nothing from the opposition.

We obviously all prefer different things here.. i personally prefer a realistic looking a feeling game, and despite pes's ai issue, how can fifa be a more complete game when it doesn't even get the fundamentals right??? The fundamentals surely has more weight on completeness than presentation or the number of moves you can do. In fifa's current state - poor alienesque player physics, ugly running animations, and the weird tacky ball physics make this game anything but complete. I just saw these awesome quality 4k clips on youtube:

.. both of which highlight exactly how horrible and unrealistic fifa looks. The comments say it all, finally some sense when it comes to youtube comments :)

Some idiot recently posted something along the lines as once fifa comes out, any day now, all those who played PES will suddenly sell off their copies and buy fifa. Yeah, those people who don't give a shite about realism. Get outta here!!!!

so true....

I've spent all of tonight trying to get on with fifa but its just not happening. Some of the animations are horrible especially passing. I've adjusted sliders as I do every year. Even at 10 power some shots go off like a rocket and deflections from a slow pass speed up massively.
Put PES back on and minus the AI , which wasn't bad tonight , and it just feels right ..great weight, movement and balance and no matter what kind of goal I score in fifa it doesn't come close to a manual pass and advanced shot finish. I know it just preference but that's the way it is for me. I also think PES looks miles better on pro 4k than fifa. Class game in many ways that's only going to get better

Pretty much how I feel. Even the animations are better on PES overall. Going from one game to another what really stands out for me is the passing, player movement/weight of the players and the pace & flow of the game is so much realistic in PES than FIFA it’s shocking.

Back
Top Bottom