FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

you know there is another game out there, maybe deserving a chance

Trouble is the assistance in the other game is perhaps even more crazy. Even when I tried manual I could still play passes I shouldn't, without a care in the world, because so many players that should be blocking it are just standing there like training cones, ball watching. Passing is close to broken in the "other game". I know that everyone loves it, and the weight and physics are spot on, but we are not the borg, there are different opinions. I will not buy fifa 20 if it's trash like an addict, I will play an older game and everything will be fine. (If pes further improves in the future I will start paying more attention, i'm neither a fifa or a pes fanboy).

Trouble is the assistance in the other game is perhaps even more crazy. Even when I tried manual I could still play passes I shouldn't, without a care in the world, because so many players that should be blocking it are just standing there like training cones, ball watching. Passing is close to broken in the "other game". I know that everyone loves it, and the weight and physics are spot on, but we are not the borg, there are different opinions. I will not buy fifa 20 if it's trash like an addict, I will play an older game and everything will be fine. (If pes further improves in the future I will start paying more attention, i'm neither a fifa or a pes fanboy).
Amen to this - but let's leave the comparisons now, there's another thread in this forum for comparisons!

It must be sad for some people at EA (like this professional footballer for example) to create something, be proud of it, and then see it being destroyed, because FUT crazies dont dig it. Im sure there is a lot of people at EA, who sit there, scratching their heads and asking "but why...?", just like us.

Which brings me to next point. IF this is true, why not keep it on the side? Its not like they would have to create a whole new gameplay for us. If they already had a sim focused game - why not add option to choose how do you want to play - sim/arcade and just patch the other one? They already had this option is the past. I dont get that.

Most of us here play offline, right? Then why does it bother you so much if the game speed is too fast? It can easy be tweaked with sliders and playing on slow speed.

Most of us here play offline, right? Then why does it bother you so much if the game speed is too fast? It can easy be tweaked with sliders and playing on slow speed.
You can set FIFA 19 to slow, and slow down passing speed - but ball acceleration is still wrong, and (the biggie for me) you can't slow AI reactions to a human level.

They start moving their feet to kick the next pass before the ball has even arrived, sometimes (I uploaded a video of a volley the AI scored from a deflection, and they were making a "kicking" motion to hit the shot in the same second that the deflection happened, and they were about 30ft away at this point).

The initial beta was wonderfully tuned. Not perfect, but even just watching videos, you saw the AI with worse players having to be more direct, for example. But now, those same setups on the new beta, they play tiki-taka bullshit again. You can't fix that with a slider.

I don't get the outrage and surprise. Every year, the game gets sped up from the early build. I've played the beta in most years, including some of this year's pre-patch beta gameplay, and it's the same thing. Every single year.

And I'm sorry but I totally disagree with @Matt10's suggestion that EA had a vision that they then gave up. The game was always going to speed up, because it always does as they refine, update, and polish the gameplay features.

With next gen coming next year, I never had high expectations for this year. Personally I think anyone who's played the game enough can tell that the changes in positioning and AI will be a pretty big deal, and as someone else just said, as long as the game is more difficult this year I'll be somewhat content.

Honestly, I'm praying that Volta is a HUGE success. It's probably our best chance at EA segmenting the player base between us realists and the skillers/arcade guys. If Volta is a huge hit, then maybe EA will feel more comfortable about focusing on realism with the 11v11 game.

I don't get the outrage and surprise. Every year, the game gets sped up from the early build. I've played the beta in most years, including some of this year's pre-patch beta gameplay, and it's the same thing. Every single year.

And I'm sorry but I totally disagree with @Matt10's suggestion that EA had a vision that they then gave up. The game was always going to speed up, because it always does as they refine, update, and polish the gameplay features.

With next gen coming next year, I never had high expectations for this year. Personally I think anyone who's played the game enough can tell that the changes in positioning and AI will be a pretty big deal, and as someone else just said, as long as the game is more difficult this year I'll be somewhat content.

Honestly, I'm praying that Volta is a HUGE success. It's probably our best chance at EA segmenting the player base between us realists and the skillers/arcade guys. If Volta is a huge hit, then maybe EA will feel more comfortable about focusing on realism with the 11v11 game.
I think you are deluding yourself. If Volta is a great success i see EA going way more into that direction. They won't care as much for the main gameplay.

If Volta is a succes,then they'll focus on realism with 11vs11?
If Volta is a succes why would they even plow down money and man hour on a offline mode,when they can make more on a cheaper mode that generates more.!

A successful online mode is going to make the offline modes better?
I had high hopes for 17-18-19,that didn't really pan out well did it,and they keep that up with this game (according to what we've seen) it's truly a company that has no interest in a football SIM at all!

And scroll back a few post/pages and I just described how Volta was born,it came from NBA Lives "The one" .
Trust me their offline modes are absolute rubbish,both content and gameplay wise.

I think you are deluding yourself. If Volta is a great success i see EA going way more into that direction. They won't care as much for the main gameplay.

Not sure why you'd think that. They'd be pretty stupid to have two game modes that play essentially the same and cater to the same people. Regardless, think I'm deluding myself much less than those with hopes that EA will offer different 11v11 game modes.

At least now they have the foundation for providing different gameplay experiences. We can only hope they build off the foundation and in the future provide distinct footballing experiences between the two.

having separate gameplay can be problematic from testing/development perspective, it's adding complexity and that means cost and why would they want to add costs for a few sim nerds, the FUT scrubs and skillers will always win when they have big youtubers giving negative reviews.

If Volta is a succes,then they'll focus on realism with 11vs11?
If Volta is a succes why would they even plow down money and man hour on a offline mode,when they can make more on a cheaper mode that generates more.!

A successful online mode is going to make the offline modes better?
I had high hopes for 17-18-19,that didn't really pan out well did it,and they keep that up with this game (according to what we've seen) it's truly a company that has no interest in a football SIM at all!

Volta is exactly what all the skillers and arcade guys want - football without the midfield play. If you can get the skillers playing Volta, then there's less need to cater to them in the 11v11 game.

This is the same idea as separating the player base through different 11v11 game modes... but much better done... possibly.

Volta is exactly what all the skillers and arcade guys want - football without the midfield play. If you can get the skillers player Volta, then there's less need to cater to them in the 11v11 game.

This is the same idea as separating the player base through different 11v11 game modes... but much better done... possibly.
I agree on your mindset and wishes for it,but I can't see it happening,they've gone downhill for years,and suddenly they have a bright shiny toy to promote,I'm pretty sure they keep making career mode looking tasty,but I'm in no way believing they'll cater to our needs for a SIM based gameplay.
If they were,it would have been in years ago.
It's like supporting your local team "well there's always next year"

Now that they have the expertise (Chris mentioned a former footballer in on it) yet they still go on what the Futters want.
As long as that makes whatever percentage of EAs revenue,that's were their focus is,and if Volta picks up,well then they focus on that.
Offline generates so little Vs what I've described,why bother,from a business stand point?
Because of their vision or good nature?
Sorry to sound gloomy pal,but that's how I see EA.
I bet we'll have the same conversation for FIFA 25

Worth remembering this, when it comes to "why won't they make a separate gameplay for offline / sim players".

I'll certainly never forget it.

True, but why they won't invest in Career Mode is a different topic than why they won't provide more realism in gameplay, which I think is what we're all talking about.

Worth remembering this, when it comes to "why won't they make a separate gameplay for offline / sim players".

I'll certainly never forget it.
I admire his honesty. Remember, it's not like Fifa team doesn't want to have a bigger focus on offline and career mode. He simply says:it's EA.

True, but why they won't invest in Career Mode is a different topic than why they won't provide more realism in gameplay, which I think is what we're all talking about.
I don't think it is different - he's saying any concerns of the offline players (including gameplay, or even having a "gameplay version selector" like you have in NHL) just don't matter. Any change, big or small, has to be given a priority, and the priority is "zero".

They've finally - after last year's backlash - been forced (and it really is "forced") to spend some time on Career Mode this year. But so what if the gameplay isn't realistic to match, or could be much more realistic if we could just get that "beta v1" gameplay back?

I admire his honesty. Remember, it's not like Fifa team doesn't want to have a bigger focus on offline and career mode. He simply says:it's EA.
I don't think it's "admirable" honesty, and he's not exactly saying "boy oh boy I wish I could work on Career Mode, simulation for life bro - EA are evil and stop us doing what we want". It's simply "yeah, we don't care".

...and yet. All the presentations for the community guys (I mentioned them earlier), which went into detail about all the realism. The fact that the initial beta was so much better in terms of the Career Mode experience.

It just doesn't make sense. To do all that, and then take it away. I just don't get it, even from a business perspective surely it makes sense to go arcade from day one when you know that's what your money-spending FUT fanbase wants.

Hang on a sec. Speeding up the game as a fine refinement implies that it plays the same game just a little bit faster. Put it on slow and you're set. But speeding it up by re-enabling ping pong passing, bypassing of the midfield, and changing the offensive/defensive balance is not refining, it IS a different game.

Of course I never played the beta and I never will, only those who have can tell which of the two is the case.

I do agree that it happens every single year. The most striking example is the fifa 18 demo compared to the release version. And I wouldn't call the difference refining, it was a totally different game.

But that's playing with words anyway. Sometimes the devil comes in small "refinements".

Last edited:

The everlasting confusion between game speed and game pace.
I'm not interested in playing end to end ping pong but with everything moving 5% slower. Game speed does not fix the type of football played (the game pace).

Last edited:
I don't think it is different - he's saying any concerns of the offline players (including gameplay, or even having a "gameplay version selector" like you have in NHL) just don't matter. Any change, big or small, has to be given a priority, and the priority is "zero".

They've finally - after last year's backlash - been forced (and it really is "forced") to spend some time on Career Mode this year. But so what if the gameplay isn't realistic to match, or could be much more realistic if we could just get that "beta v1" gameplay back?

It's totally different. The lack of CM investment is due to an EA company-wide mandate to not invest in single player experiences. The lack of realism in the 11v11 gameplay is because the bulk of the player base wants ability with skills to be the prime determinant of who wins.

The only commonality between the two is that players who prefer single player modes also prefer more realism, and those two groups are outnumbered by the rest of the fanbase.

Looking at it a different way, if the fanbase wanted more realism in 11v11 gameplay, EA would be all in. If the fanbase wanted more single player CM investment (which it clearly does), EA wouldn't give a shit because it's not their current business model.

Hang on a sec. Speeding up the game as a fine refinement implies that it plays the same game just a little bit faster. Put it on slow and you're set. But speeding it up by re-enabling ping pong passing, bypassing of the midfield, and changing the offensive/defensive balance is not refining, it IS a different game.

Of course I never played the beta and I never will, only those who have can tell which of the two is the case.

I do agree that it happens every single year. The most striking example is the fifa 18 demo compared to the release version. And I wouldn't call the difference refining, it was a totally different game.

But that's playing with words anyway. Sometimes the devil comes in small "refinements".

If you take it to mean that speeding up the gameplay is just about literally speeding up all the animations, then you're right, or at least mostly.

But that's not how it works. Rather than think about the earlier builds being slower, it's better to think of them as incomplete. For example, player agility is never at its finished version in the early builds, and this adds considerably to the game feeling more sped up in the later builds. I can't remember if it was last year or 18, but the beta build didn't have many of the contextual dribbling animations that were in the release version, so gameplay felt slower overall.

It's all the extra polish and refinement of the various gameplay elements that make for a quicker game.

But then also EA will make changes based on feedback, like last year neutering the defensive AI with the full release, which then led to a faster game. In the beta last year, the defensive AI was more stout and helpful than what we eventually had at release, but people complained about the AI being OP for FUT, so we got a weakened AI and a faster game.

This gave me a bit of hope, until I did a quick rewind and realised it's on "Professional".

The timestamp should make the vid play just as he starts his first match, 1hr 10m into the video...

Oh god, FIFA 19 with new skill moves :SICK:

PES can actually dominate this year.
It just doesnt look anything like real football, The animations are so janky. I know this place hypes Fifa up and thinks it's far better than the dreadful new PES game but i just dont see it from any video's that i have seen. Maybe when playing the game everything changes. It has alot of stadiums though right?

Roll on the demo to see what all the fuss is about.

I know this place hypes Fifa up and thinks it's far better than the dreadful new PES game
Are you for real? Have you seen the last few pages of this thread? You've even just quoted a puking emoji.

Couldn't help but notice in amongst all the angst in the PES thread this morning about there being no stadiums to go with PES's new licenses, the only comment you had was "look at this cool PES shirt you can buy". So I don't think you can make statements like this, really.

Are you for real? Have you seen the last few pages of this thread?

Couldn't help but notice in amongst all the angst in the PES thread this morning about there being no stadiums to go with PES's new licenses, the only comment you had was "look at this cool PES shirt you can buy". So I don't think you can make statements like this, really.
No it wasnt i replied to you when you asked me a question "out of interest" Obvs you didnt reply to my answer did you miss it?

Back
Top Bottom