Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
Small sample size but I enjoyed the few matches with the patch. Interestingly, two of the games I actually kept clean sheets which I'd not been able to do to save my life. Playing as Southampton (again, Ultimate difficulty with everything at default), I have the highest scoring attack (by far) and the leakiest defense (which pretty much sums up FIFA for me).

But the last two matches I played, keeping clean sheets were relatively easy. Considering that nerfing the AI defense was a focus of this patch, I wasn't expecting that.

I did see one disgusting moment of impossible first touch passing play followed by a first touch long shot that resulted in a goal - by Fulham of all teams (obviously this was the game before my clean sheets). But aside from that one moment, no big complaints. It's still way too easy to create chances against the CPU because they give way too much space, but keeping two clean sheets in a row was a first for me in this Southampton CM so that's kinda promising.

The game's heavily discounted here now and was going to get it, but the user reviews are extremely bad.

PS4 - 1.7
Xbox One - 2.3
Switch - 4.3

Is it really THAT bad?
Of course not.
If you like FUT, I think it's not a game for you.
For carrier mode, it's perfect with a realist gameplay and really great animations with some options : manuel/semi passes and shooting.
With speed on slow, I really love this game, you can do what you want, there is a battle on midfield.
The lack of fault is the big deal now, I hope they will patch it very soon.

The game's heavily discounted here now and was going to get it, but the user reviews are extremely bad.

PS4 - 1.7
Xbox One - 2.3
Switch - 4.3

Is it really THAT bad?
Come on? Reading those reviews is like reading some of the overly negative comments about the game in this thread. Quite clearly on the windup.

For me its the opposite. I never really liked FUT, but this year I love it so far. Never played so much FUT like this year. In genreal like this FIFA very much. I haven't touched PES since the release of FIFA.

online pro clubs and sesons is one big mess . All people use assisted settings and most of players use ping pong passes like creazy , easiest way to score in finall third is spamming triangle button . If you think AI use ping pong passes then you 're wrong . Real super fast ping pong tiki taka pass you will see against random online players. Playing against AI feels much better , yeah it sounds silly but that's true. Assisted controls killed online ;/

Come on? Reading those reviews is like reading some of the overly negative comments about the game in this thread. Quite clearly on the windup.
it depends on what you want out of a football game and how the game interprets the game on the field (take all the bells and whistles out) from me its a 6/10 this year.

Career mode is a solid 8/10, IMO.

I'd have to say that our standards have dropped mightily if CM is an 8/10. No way I'm giving it more than a 4/10. Not a single feature works all that well, and there's not that many features to begin with, while there's still tons of bugs and fundamental issues with the game mode.

By the standards of today's AAA single player game experiences, no way CM deserves much in the way of a positive score. It's still my go to game mode but man is it underwhelming.

**Edit: Perfect timing - I just saw this was one of the top posts in the Reddit forum :

For me its the opposite. I never really liked FUT, but this year I love it so far. Never played so much FUT like this year. In genreal like this FIFA very much. I haven't touched PES since the release of FIFA.
You're the exception. FUT fans like speed game, assisted passes and shoots and high scores.
Offline with some ajustments, the game is really good this year

online pro clubs and sesons is one big mess . All people use assisted settings and most of players use ping pong passes like creazy , easiest way to score in finall third is spamming triangle button . If you think AI use ping pong passes then you 're wrong . Real super fast ping pong tiki taka pass you will see against random online players. Playing against AI feels much better , yeah it sounds silly but that's true. Assisted controls killed online ;/
Exactly. Fifa 18 was arcade, but this year it seems that FUT is too arcade with no fun.
I didn't play FUT in my life, it's only what i'm usually reading about it

I'd have to say that our standards have dropped mightily if CM is an 8/10. No way I'm giving it more than a 4/10. Not a single feature works all that well, and there's not that many features to begin with, while there's still tons of bugs and fundamental issues with the game mode.

By the standards of today's AAA single player game experiences, no way CM deserves much in the way of a positive score. It's still my go to game mode but man is it underwhelming.

**Edit: Perfect timing - I just saw this was one of the top posts in the Reddit forum :

Carrier mode didn't move deeply since years, I agree with you.
I only speak about gameplay offline, when you can ajust speed, controls of passes and shooting, IA, etc...
I hope big improvements next year in Career Mode. I know, I'm a dreamer!!

I think it's poor,no real upgrades in years,didn't play FIFA 07 ,but from what I've seen,much better then. And that's 11 years ago...
I remember when you had to choose how much money was invested in different parts of the staff - you could invest in your current squad's development, or save all your money and buy the best players you could afford instead.

Imagine if, instead of all your players being on great form all of the time, it depended not just on your results but on the staff you'd hired to keep them going.

314966984.jpg

Others have pointed out that you could sim a game and jump in at any point of the sim process, if you were 1-0 down at half time and wanted to take control, you could. (A bit like some kind of "scenario" mode.)

Lots of abandoned features that would be great to have back.

But 20 years ago I was thinking we'd have a beautiful mix of Football Manager and FIFA (and that it would be PES) by now. But nobody wants to make that game. They've just... carried on.

But 20 years ago I was thinking we'd have a beautiful mix of Football Manager and FIFA (and that it would be PES) by now. But nobody wants to make that game. They've just... carried on
I wonder is it because of the audience these days, which just want simple, arcade, assisted everything, handed to them on a golden plate?
Or is it online, which became such a money grabber that they dont see any need of looking after offline.
Or is it a bit of both?
I also wonder how long can they run like this? If you are only investing into graphics, without any depth, when will we see a point where people will say - nah, im not spending 60quid on same thing with polished graphics and updated squads.
Coz we can all see its slowly creeping in on social media. In both companies fan base.
The way I see it there are two options
1 - (as per rumours) Fifa will create one version of the game with monthly subscribtion or paid DLC's and football games will become pure casual, fully online orientated, ignoring completely offline players
2 - they will eventually wake up and realise that there is a lot of people still playing offline careers and we'll eventually get a well deserved package.
(Personally if I was to bet id put my money on EA to deliver before the other crowd. Their communication this year is fairly impressive)

I remember when you had to choose how much money was invested in different parts of the staff - you could invest in your current squad's development, or save all your money and buy the best players you could afford instead.

Imagine if, instead of all your players being on great form all of the time, it depended not just on your results but on the staff you'd hired to keep them going.

314966984.jpg

Others have pointed out that you could sim a game and jump in at any point of the sim process, if you were 1-0 down at half time and wanted to take control, you could. (A bit like some kind of "scenario" mode.)

Lots of abandoned features that would be great to have back.

But 20 years ago I was thinking we'd have a beautiful mix of Football Manager and FIFA (and that it would be PES) by now. But nobody wants to make that game. They've just... carried on.
Fully agree.
I'd want more of a "run the club" or more features as a manager,like the one you pointed out.
How about having the option of not getting fired,to be able to make a run from L2 and up,right now it's to easy.
I think more reality needs to be in the game.
It shouldn't be easy signing top players,stadium developments,having budgets running the ground,sponsorship etc.
Or just be the manager!
Nowadays it's a board who (at many clubs) takes the decisions on who to buy and not.
Scenario modes absolutely!

I'm alright with the gameplay this year,but the mode itself is very empty

To each his own. As an adult with kids, a wife, a mortgage, a good career and a life away from video games, it's great for me. Deep enough to dip in and out of 2 or 3 times per week (I'm not even half way through my first season with the game). I get the impression some in here spend many hours of their free time gaming, where I can definitely see it has it's short comings in that regard. EA really need to set higher goals for themselves, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I haven't read any of them actually. Just looked at the numbers and was shocked.

So I take it if I have no interest in FUT, I should be fine, right?

I’ve just discovered the delights of Broadcast cam, which swings as you run towards each goal. Wow! It’s totally opened up the game for me even more. Loving it.

I wonder is it because of the audience these days, which just want simple, arcade, assisted everything, handed to them on a golden plate?
Or is it online, which became such a money grabber that they dont see any need of looking after offline.
Or is it a bit of both?
I also wonder how long can they run like this? If you are only investing into graphics, without any depth, when will we see a point where people will say - nah, im not spending 60quid on same thing with polished graphics and updated squads.
Coz we can all see its slowly creeping in on social media. In both companies fan base.
The way I see it there are two options
1 - (as per rumours) Fifa will create one version of the game with monthly subscribtion or paid DLC's and football games will become pure casual, fully online orientated, ignoring completely offline players
2 - they will eventually wake up and realise that there is a lot of people still playing offline careers and we'll eventually get a well deserved package.
(Personally if I was to bet id put my money on EA to deliver before the other crowd. Their communication this year is fairly impressive)
Most people probably will continue to buy the new versions just because they're new and the latest release,even though they might not be very different and evolved.
It's like the same with all these stupid smartphones etc that come out every 3 months and are nearly identical with the previous version but people still go like sheep and buy them just so they can say that they have the latest newest product released.It's more of a psychological thing.

Well, I've put this on hold for now. Will wait for boxing day sales.

I've also decided I might buy Fifa 11. Been watching videos of different Fifas lately and it's the one that caught my eye. Thought I already had it but turns out I'm missing this one.

Been playing with the new patch on PS4, and it's an odd one - it feels better to me when I was expecting it to be worse (the AI's defending is stronger than before, if anything - although I don't think mine is).

Playing on World Class, I'm consistently getting beat, and I had a game against the team who (I was informed by Martin Tyler) had conceded the least amount of goals in the league, and sure enough, I couldn't get past them and was blasting shots from range.

Really enjoying it - but, a lot of the goals I've conceded have been first-time shots that have looked a bit cheaty, and I still think the pass speed needs reducing to at LEAST 44 for the human player (43 for the AI, who power passes around).

Been playing with the new patch on PS4, and it's an odd one - it feels better to me when I was expecting it to be worse (the AI's defending is stronger than before, if anything - although I don't think mine is).

Playing on World Class, I'm consistently getting beat, and I had a game against the team who (I was informed by Martin Tyler) had conceded the least amount of goals in the league, and sure enough, I couldn't get past them and was blasting shots from range.

Really enjoying it - but, a lot of the goals I've conceded have been first-time shots that have looked a bit cheaty, and I still think the pass speed needs reducing to at LEAST 44 for the human player (43 for the AI, who power passes around).
My thoughts as well,I had to lower pass speed quite a lot (15 for CPU) but since it's that low I can keep pass error and first touch around 55-58 without making the Cpu either invincible or complete rubbish.

My thoughts as well,I had to lower pass speed quite a lot (15 for CPU) but since it's that low I can keep pass error and first touch around 55-58 without making the Cpu either invincible or complete rubbish.
Is that on normal game speed?

I was trying on slow speed last night, but any pass speed lower than 40 was a little too "waterlogged pitch" for me!

Is that on normal game speed?

I was trying on slow speed last night, but any pass speed lower than 40 was a little too "waterlogged pitch" for me!
Nope,slow game speed
I'm using 30/15 pass speed,I think slow or not is a lot to do with cam angle to.
I think I use default cam,I know if I'd use that on broadcast can,it would look stupidly slow.
I can't really go much higher than 30 for the Cpu without it just pinging 20-30 passes through me then off to goal.
And for me,it creates a lot of lose and unpredictable gameplay in both ends trying to clear the ball.

Nope,slow game speed
I'm using 30/15 pass speed,I think experience with what is considered slow or not is a lot to do with cam angle to.
I think I use default cam,I know if I'd use that on broadcast can,it would look stupidly slow.
Ahhh, yeah, that'll be it. I play on the furthest camera, co-op camera, which helps slow the game down - any closer and it'd be 100mph!

Ahhh, yeah, that'll be it. I play on the furthest camera, co-op camera, which helps slow the game down - any closer and it'd be 100mph!
Yeah it's so dependent on what angle you use.
I know reading slider setups over at OS or here and thinking, what?
But it's all down to cam angles

I get review bombing, but this is WAY too low.

I haven't read any of them actually. Just looked at the numbers and was shocked.

So I take it if I have no interest in FUT, I should be fine, right?

Online FUT is all I play. It is genuinely great fun. The fundamental game is solid and so even if I wasn't playing FUT, there would be plenty to keep my interest.

I wouldn't pay attention to user reviews on Metacritic. In Fifa, there is usually a winner and a loser. A lot of the times, the loser has invested actual cash in the game and will want to blame someone. They can't get their money back so their only option is to give a 0/10 review.

Then you have PES players who are intent on convincing people to leave Fifa and come over to PES so they don't have to wait 5 mins for matchmaking giving 0/10 reviews too.

Add to those users who play Career or Pro Clubs and are desperate for something new giving a poor score for a lack of change in their section and you can see why it is so low.

Sheer protest voting.

Metacritic Critic reviews (taken as an average) is a far more realistic metric to pay attention to and it is at 83/100 last time I looked. That was for the release version which has had key improvements made since via patches, e.g. too many overhead kicks been removed.

Fifa 19 is an excellent game, easily the best so far in the series in my opinion. I'm continually seeing new animations even after playing 500+ games in 19 and I the variety of different goals that is possible is huge due to the sandbox environment Fifa has.

FIFA to me is not a game that tries to simulate football, but more a game that tries to simulate how football looks like on TV. That's why broadcast cam is usually the one I am playing at and with a few tweaks of the speed sliders the pace looks actually quite realistic, where "realistic" means, this is how it would look like on a TV.

Interesting... I'm literally having the exact opposite experience so far. In my last three games since the patch I've kept clean sheets - that's three in a row when prior to the patch I'd only kept I think 2 since the season started (I'm in February).

Meanwhile I'm having no probs scoring goals. If anything it might feel a little easier. So not sure how I feel because it was already too easy before the patch, and yet I'm really pleased with not conceding. Maybe it's just an odd run of games.

Regardless, I've really enjoyed the post-patch games I've had.

Scored this earlier today, no foul lol. Reminds me of those goals in the 50's where they would rugby tackle the keeper into the goal.

Back
Top Bottom