FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Some much better games today. It's just so clunky though and simply put just not as fun to play as PES.

I can see myself playing through career and journey though, so i'll get my money's worth. Hopefully PC mods will also help improve a few things.

My son who loves FIFA has said he isn't impressed this year.
Sounds positive, a game for sim adults and not the arcade youngster crowd. Playing 7 minute halfs, slow game play and defensive slider setup, both I and the CPU are getting 1-2 shots per half. 2 of my last 3 games I had 0 shots for the entire game. I can see why kids would be bored.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm actually not looking forward to FIFA 17 coming now. I know it will come through my letterbox next week, but I also know my experience against CPU AI on higher difficulties will be the same as its been for at least 5-6 years. So I'm not really looking forward to it all that much to tell the truth. In fact I'm dreading it. The more I read comments and reviews from people that know what they're talking about, the more I am finding myself put off by the sunday dinner thats been sweating in the microwave for a week. To me FIFA 17 is that plate of food and covering it in salad cream (The Journey) is not going to make me want to eat it.

I know it will let me down again on this aspect and give it an hour or two and I'll be booting up Pro Evo 2017 like a cold turkey crackhead having withdrawal symptoms. But for the first time in years, I'll feel confident and proud about doing it. PES is finally standing tall and holding its own. It's no longer the laughing stock of the class thats just wet itself. Its the cool kid everyone wants to be mates with.

Seems like EA SPORTS will paper over the cracks with a new shiny game mode. But core gameplay issues will remain.

I will never ever touch sliders. I dont believe they should be there in the first place. I refuse to do it. By going down that route, you're not actually encouraging EA to sort the core gameplay issues out. Thats the main reason they were included years ago. Avoidance and to shut the gamer that knows whats going on here, up. But like many have said, it doesnt fix the game. In my opinion it breaks it some more. But some like them, fair enough, whatever floats your boat.

Pro Evo has taken me back this year like no other football game has managed to do since perhaps FIFA 08 on 360 or PES 1 to 6 on the PS2. I transitioned to FIFA for FIFA 08 after many years of playing just Pro Evo on the PS2. Pro Evo was great and horrible for the same amount of years. We almost paid for that golden age, with an equally as long dark one.

Once you've got an option file to get rid of the insufferable "Man Blue" and "Man Red" black home kits for instance. The way the game looks shines and the way the game plays speaks for itself. Long time coming for Konami. Steady progress was made the last few years. PES 2016 was decent. But it still didnt quite take the biscuit for me.

But this, this is special.

The best thing about this, to me, is that just only a few weeks back I wasnt going to bother with PES 2017. FIFA 17 was on pre-order and I was happy with my decision. I kept telling myself PES will be worth it when its £25 quid or summat. But then I got up the one day and took a chance. I took a chance on PES and Konami and bought it. Safe to say one of the best decisions I've ever made as a gamer, its totally changed my view on both football games to the point where I'm not really interested in the other one now. 2 weeks release before FIFA was genius by Konami. They'll win the old loyal Pro Evo player back.

I just hope and pray Konami don't get too confident and thus complacent in future years like they did from PES 2008 to like PES 2015.

I will never ever touch sliders.

100% your loss then, slidered v default is worlds apart.

By going down that route, you're not actually encouraging EA to sort the core gameplay issues out. Thats the main reason they were included years ago. Avoidance and to shut the gamer that knows whats going on here, up. But like many have said, it doesnt fix the game. In my opinion it breaks it some more. But some like them, fair enough, whatever floats your boat.

Completely disagree, sliders let me mould the game into how I want it to play, not how you want it to play, not how EA do, not Rutter, No Chris Davies, not Matt10, nobody else, just how I want it, I want more zip on my passes but not to have to take so long to power up the button press because I want to overhit some passes even on manual when I'm under pressure, zip zip two adjusted sliders and that's perfect.

Nobody wants the exact same thing in a football game, that's where sliders fit in beautifully.

I just hope and pray Konami don't get too confident and thus complacent in future years like they did from PES 2008 to like PES 2015.

Konami's complacency started a long time before that, PES 5 was the last straw for me after years of them failing to take capitalise on their increasing dominance over a tragically feeble Fifa by not getting any new licenses despite selling millions of units each version, refusing to make any improvements to core modes like ML that we fans were pleading for year on year.

Completely disagree, sliders let me mould the game into how I want it to play, not how you want it to play, not how EA do, not Rutter, No Chris Davies, not Matt10, nobody else, just how I want it, I want more zip on my passes but not to have to take so long to power up the button press because I want to overhit some passes even on manual when I'm under pressure, zip zip two adjusted sliders and that's perfect.

Nobody wants the exact same thing in a football game, that's where sliders fit in beautifully.

Konami's complacency started a long time before that, PES 5 was the last straw for me after years of them failing to take capitalise on their increasing dominance over a tragically feeble Fifa by not getting any new licenses despite selling millions of units each version, refusing to make any improvements to core modes like ML that we fans were pleading for year on year.

I hear ya but you cant begrudge a developer that sticks with what works. PES was working back then so they changed it little year after year. FIFA had been doing that for years prior and also the last 4 or 5 years. Only really this year have they made noticeable changes. The last big ones were tactical defending. 360 motion and the player contact physics. FIFA 12 was it? Once they were implemented EA Sports sat on their arse for a good few years, while the gameplay issues were ignored, left to rot and left to piss us off year after year.

This years PES has made me fall in love with a footy game again. I doubt very much FIFA 17 will win me back.

So... the game out of the box is unplayable, and you refuse to use the in-game tools that can turn the game into something playable. That's not noble, that's obstinate.

Hahahaha

Just read that bit in bold back to yourself again. How bad does it sound!

Why is that?

The problem is that out the box its unplayable. If they actually worked on it and sorted it, be no need for sliders at all.

Sliders are a cop-out for lazy development.

Also, why is it that people that use the sliders still talk about fundamental flaws to AI and the CPU boosting on higher difficulties? Its the fundamental game which is fundamentally the issue.

This years PES has made me fall in love with a footy game again. I doubt very much FIFA 17 will win me back.
Stealth PES cheerleading posts in the FIFA 17 thread... just type "FIFA 17" at the beginning of your commentary to give it some on-topic content, followed by several paragraphs raving about how in love you are with PES. Good job bro, lol.

Hahahaha

Just read that bit in bold back to yourself again. How bad does it sound!

Why is that?
Hoo boy... Just paraphrasing you bro. And please, enough with the PES trolling now, post your commentary in the PES/FIFA comparison thread maybe.

Stealth PES cheerleading posts in the FIFA 17 thread... just type "FIFA 17" at the beginning of your commentary to give it some on-topic content, followed by several paragraphs raving about how in love you are with PES. Good job bro, lol.

Hoo boy... Just paraphrasing you bro. And please, enough with the PES trolling now, post your commentary in the PES/FIFA comparison thread maybe.

Touched a nerve? Why get so emotional?

Its not about what me or you think about either game.

The games speak for themselves.

Fanboy? Far from it. Calm down.

Well I have to say I'm loving it so far. Much better than 16 imo. Just played a 7min a half as Everton (me) vs Aston Villa at Villa Park on world class and the game went exactly as it should. I dominated them from start to finish. Just loved it.

Really just wish they would remove the commentary line "players been thwarted....sign of better things to come" aarrgghhhhhh, driving me insane lol.

Really just wish they would remove the commentary line "players been thwarted....sign of better things to come" aarrgghhhhhh, driving me insane lol.
I remove all annoying commentary lines by shutting off the commentary completely, ha. Haven't had it on for two years now, I create an on-the-pitch ambiance by raising player and ball sounds and lowering crowd noise.

Messed around with sliders and I think I got the game close to where I like it. I think I have pass error for CPU up to 65%, first touch to 60% and both our speed and accel at 48%. Think I tweaked pass speed down a bit too, maybe 45.

I played PES last year and while it wasn't terrible, if this years game is similar, I wouldn't say it so much better on the pitch vs FIFA with sliders. Default FIFA, maybe. Sliders are there for a reason though.

Well said.

The thing with the sliders is that it creates a warped game from default. If you go online, its a different game to the one you've changed in single player. If you play it at a mates house, its different again. My point is this, I speak the truth. Sliders paper over the cracks in the game. Cracks that are still present underneath that paper. Fundamentally the games issues are still there, whatever you do to sliders. I'm telling you, this fascination with sliders is counter productive, it means EA Sports can get away with releasing games with the same issues over and over again.

"But thats alright because we have sliders"

Its not alright though is it? Thats the point HERE. The default game needs to be better regardless of sliders.

For instance NBA 2K is fundamentally a solid basketball game first and foremost. The sliders are there if you want to tweak. Thats how it should be. But the base, the game itself, needs to be steady.

FIFA aint steady. Thats just it.

It is what it is. Say what you like.

Sliders work great for me and I never sit there thinking, "Yea, but underneath this game is broken." Fortunately, at 48, I don't have the patience to play online and don't have to worry about playing at a mates house anymore, either. LOL.:)

Angus,

You post a lot about slider settings and trying to make the game better which is fair enough. Both games, in different ways, require community/user input to make things better. As someone who is playing and loving this years PES I know only too well that my enjoyment has been helped massively by the fact that the thing PES needs regards community/user involvement is to give the game and nice licensed sheen, and OF sharing has made that so.

Considering yourself and FIFA, I don't think anyone should be offering critique in what you are trying to do when it comes to trying to enhance the game for yourself, and you sharing it with others.

However...

These are incredibly childish, overly sensitive, and outright accusatory responses from you; all because someone has a different view from your own about FIFA. He isn't playing the game for you, so why get so butt-hurt about his views? Picking up on the fact he mentioned PES is just weird. It is akin to that bit at the end of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers...

885a636cbcbe64622ab0bfe69c52393d.jpg

What you need to do is appreciate that the new game is out there now to some degree. As a result, people are playing it and they might not share your views. What is your solution to rid the forum of such blasphemy? That nobody should post in either games thread until months after release and only then it should only be by those who wish to heap praise on each respective game? Now I know you don't think like that but with your reply's to the lad Craney you are acting like you think like that. Admittedly I think Craney should have reigned in the praise fro PES a wee bit, but his concerns about FIFA's AI and how he feels sliders are a something of a get-out clause for the developer are very much on topic. You could have said exactly that:

"That is your opinion mate. I disagree but you're entitled to it, but maybe best not to go off on one about PES in here"

But no. You got all butt-hurt and started calling it stealth and trolling; trying to out the guy. That is borderline tribalist behaviour and I know you are better than that.

what do you think is the number one thing for this game to go from good to great?
On the flip side, FIFA's strength from a strategic POV is the ability to use sliders and d-pad tactics to adjust player positioning. My team in white, 1 goal up, 5 minutes left, and I'm able to pull all my players back and in to defend. Likewise one is also able to flood the CPU box by raising line sliders and adjusting d-pad tactics.

1_zpsb8g5rd8g.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus man, now THAT'S offensive. I'm Canadian and Donald Sutherland is like the WORST Canadian actor ever. Anyone but him, please.

Stick to games critique, Canada produced a bunch of slasher films in the 80s and I can assure you he's far from the worst! ;)

FIFA 08 was the last FIFA I can really say I enjoyed. I didn't feel restricted or cheated on Legendary difficulty and I never felt as if CPU AI was overpowered to the extent the game was being more than just a challenge, but unjust. It felt balanced. No sliders were on that game.

Point is the game was fairly solid and well made. Whilst strides were made in FIFA 12 and the ideas like tactical defending and player contact valuable additions to the series. It made the game a more balanced game when humans were in control. It played better in online and multiplayer than it did against the CPU AI on higher difficulties. Where CPU was ramped up beyond realistic. It made little to no mistakes defending and few mistakes passing. Its shooting and ping pong football were ridiculous at times.

For me the game has largely stayed this way since 12.

FIFA is now a more human orientated game. It plays better against humans. Especially when tactical defending is an error prone system and mistakes can be made mistiming a tackle or over commiting. The CPU on anything above Proffesional difficulty (and even Proffesional has its moments) will rarely make these errors and thats unrealistic to the sport it is trying so hard to replicate. It needs to find a balance between realism and challenge.

I think PES gets that just about right this year, not perfection. But about right.

On the flip side, FIFA's strength from a strategic POV is the ability to use sliders and d-pad tactics to adjust player positioning. My team in white, 1 goal up, 5 minutes left, and I'm able to pull all my players back and in to defend. Likewise one is also able to flood the CPU box by raising line sliders and adjusting d-pad tactics.

1_zpsb8g5rd8g.jpg

I like this look, but with the lower line settings, aren't you finding the defensive line dropping back a crazy amount? Could you show the ball at the defensive third, half-field, your own third (building from back), of the positioning?

I value your thoughts of course, old friend. Not calling you old, we've just known eachother for a while lol!

It needs to find a balance between realism and challenge.
EA isn't interested in that and I doubt that will ever happen. They have found their happy spot: an arcade-style game designed for young online gamers that rakes in hundreds of millions. This is why sliders are so important and crucial, they're the only way to re-adjust the game play to resemble something close to real football. All their sports games play like that, it's all part of their marketing strategy and corporate vision.

I like this look, but with the lower line settings, aren't you finding the defensive line dropping back a crazy amount? Could you show the ball at the defensive third, half-field, your own third (building from back), of the positioning?

I value your thoughts of course, old friend. Not calling you old, we've just known eachother for a while lol!
No I think you misunderstand, I switch to these sort of extreme settings at various times in the game, as the situation calls for it. It's just one specific situational example. I have more of a neutral line slider set normally, and use d-pad tactics (high defend or high attack) in-game depending on whether or not I have the ball.

The thing with the sliders is that it creates a ... different game to the one you've changed in single player. If you play it at a mates house, its different again.
That is a good point, which I myself forget, as I never play online. However Placebo and Angus's point stands that you will never be able to create a single style of gameplay that pleases everyone. The default FIFA gameplay is standardized to appeal to their core demographic, where action and style is more important than mature substance. Maybe it would help if EA allowed custom sliders in MP matches, where your opponent could see the settings before joining, rather like a custom server in other MP games?

BTW Playing local multiplayer with friends we consult a bit about what slider changes we both find realistic.

No I think you misunderstand, I switch to these sort of extreme settings at various times in the game, as the situation calls for it. It's just one specific situational example. I have more of a neutral line slider set normally, and use d-pad tactics (high defend or high attack) in-game depending on whether or not I have the ball.

I see, okay, so similar to what I did in FIFA 11, before sliders were around.

So, regarding sliders, this is what I was messing around with earlier. Just threw some things together, wanting to see some different things. It's promising, but bursting (sprinting through the entire CPU defense) is exploitable.

Back
Top Bottom