FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Hey there

It could be my sliders, try playing with them at 50 if you will to test this

There is an aggression rating, but it should be raised methodically (not to 99 for all players)

PS: Still working on how to fix your problem with the tool

Okay, second group stage match. Same specs as in previous game.

Excellent stats.

CiqvfvZ.jpg

However when I put my passing and speed advantage down I lose ball possession. Any clues how to make it more even? (Yeah I know... learn to play but I really suck haha). CPU makes very few passing errors and they're very dominant with the ball when they get it... very difficult to take it off.

It's quite unrealistic to see a team like Panama having such ball possession against a top team like ARG.

I realized that the handballs occurred when the pass speed was high... the ball was more elastic when the players received it. When I used Ciais' sliders that problem is no longer there.

I simmed the third group stage match and report 2nd round match next.

However when I put my passing and speed advantage down I lose ball possession. Any clues how to make it more even? (Yeah I know... learn to play but I really suck haha). CPU makes very few passing errors and they're very dominant with the ball when they get it... very difficult to take it off.

Try putting CPU Pass Error at 65 :))

I realized that the handballs occurred when the pass speed was high... the ball was more elastic when the players received it. When I used Ciais' sliders that problem is no longer there.

Aha! You're finally starting to speak like a true FIFA 16 purist! :DD

What you just said is 100000000% correct: I remembered you like to play with a higher pass speed. Unfortunately, higher pass speed = more unrealistic drilled passes = more difficult for the players to control = more handballs ;))

Yes indeed. Increasing CPU pass error helped and the possession is now more even. This was a tight game 1-1 after 90'. In Copa America there's no extra time (besides in the final) so it went to penalties. All my players put their shots in, Romero saved one and I won 5-3.

BJstPgQ.jpg

USA next haha. :D

For me it's still not completely clicking as it should. I spend great moments of football here and there, but even with pass error at 65, I'm still experiencing smaller teams keeping ball possession like they shouldn't.

Also, whenever I use another CL which isn't Matt, I experience horrible holes and deficit attention in both defensive lines.. but it is something that used to happen even before Db and EXE change. Don't know if it's only me.

Ok, have to kinda take it back. I just had an Hoffenheim-Bayern (me) and it played INCREDIBLY well. It ended up 0-0 and with a slight possession edge for them, but I saw enormous errors and technical differences between mine, and their players; it truly felt like a draw between a big team and a very worse one, first time maybe in my whole Fifa 16 experience that felt so plausible. They also fouled me a good amount of times (5 plus like 2 advantages).

Don't know if my tactical changes had some good hand in it; passed from a line midfield of a 4-5-1 to a 4-2-1-2-1 and the team kept the field way better overall.

More likely it was a combination of both yours and their tactical changes

Or that what I'm doing is wrong, the game itself is not really realistic/fun to play in the end (contrary to PES3 for example, as they're saying here), or a combination of both

Still early to tell

Yes, I too have a (pretty decent? don't know) amount of referee advantages

@Madmac79: Don't get me wrong, man, I actually appreciate it if you tell me the things that don't work. Thing is, everything is subjective. Anybody's got a favorite soccer game for different reasons (I still love FIFA 98!). And I suck at seeing those things, that's why I have to rely on you guys :D
I'm just a very difficulty person to get along with, and it can be off-putting, so sorry :))

Yes, I too have a (pretty decent? don't know) amount of referee advantages

@Madmac79: Don't get me wrong, man, I actually appreciate it if you tell me the things that don't work. Thing is, everything is subjective. Anybody's got a favorite soccer game for different reasons (I still love FIFA 98!). And I suck at seeing those things, that's why I have to rely on you guys :D
I'm just a very difficulty person to get along with, and it can be off-putting, so sorry :))
Nono mate it's fine i completely get u, will articulate better when I'll be back home!

No need, I perfectly get what you meant :))

Remember what I told you about assigning the Long Ball tactic to teams under a specific rating? It should (in theory, or in practice) prevent weak teams from keeping the ball and having a high passing %. Plus, there's also that string that forces CPU teams to use long balls more

And about Matt's cl.ini, I don't remember what he had in there (I was using it before starting all this), but I'm (almost) positive he has those FORCE_INSIDE/FORCE_OUTSIDE strings reasonably high, or if not something similar

PS: Wanna know why I started this? Back at the NHL 2004 forums, El Pajaro convinced me to try this game, but we were both disillusioned with the low number of fouls (we were WE9 players until very recently). So, that's that. I too have what I consider the most important thing I want in a football videogame :))

Oh man, I played all PES titles every year since PES6. I really tried to adjust things in PES2017. The gameplay itself was okay but you just can't do anything to the stupid arcade elements. It's all hardcoded... lives inside like a cancer. PES is hopeless. I played a World Cup tournament and the end result in the semifinal was 6-5. If I want arcade, I choose the good ole' Donkey Kong or Asteroids.

I always went back to PES5/WE9 after every year. And those are over 10 year old games!!!

FIFA 16 is from different planet. No... from different universe. :D

Ok, thanks to El Pajaro's constant help, I managed to fix his problem: the Gameplayzer now works. 100%? Hopefully so :D

This is what I plan to do now: proportionally increase the Aggression of the players.

Now, there are 2 currents of thought:
  1. Bangus (expert modder at Soccergaming) says that a very high Aggression rating (99 for all) for the players is not very realistic, and suggests actually increasing it only in the team tactics
  2. Fideco, on the other hand, says that slightly increasing it proportionally for the players, have them make fouls independently from their tactics
I'm inclined to agree with Fideco here, just because a team is not really aggressive on the field, doesn't mean a player shouldn't try to stop a player sprinting past him towards goal

So, the formula I'm gonna (try to) apply to the Gameplayzer is this:
  • Gameplayzed Aggression +25% for all (except GKs), with these limitations:
  • Minimum value 70 (if Agg+25%<70 then Agg=70)
  • Maximum value 97 (same)
This way, they're not all set to 99 (actually, none of them are gonna be)

I'm gonna need to edit fifaCCitiu's code to implement it, so since I'm a newbie on Python, I don't know how long it's gonna take

Cheers :))

Doesn't hurt to try. I managed to increase them this way on PES 2017.

The best way would be to alter the referee strictness somehow. I think it'd be a big improvement if the ref would sometimes call those clear dives. Now it rarely happens. The players lose the ball, dive and no call.

The refs fall into the dives a LOT in real football. If that frequency could be upped somehow. Then there are those tackles that won't get called (those would be called in real football, definitely). Also there should be more calls after the corner kick for the offensive team. You know those typical after the corner things... goalie vs. header... defender vs forward (grabbing, etc).

The referee strictness can be increased with these lines in cl.ini (can't go higher than 2)
  • REFEREE_FOUL_STRICTNESS_OVERRIDE=2
How much strict they are with fouls (0=lenient; 1=normal; 2=strict). I put it at 2 as I believe they won't whistle much otherwise
  • REFEREE_CARD_STRICTNESS_OVERRIDE=1
How much strict they are with cards (0=practically no cards; 1=balanced amount of cards; 2=every foul is a bookable offense). 1 is the sweet spot, at 2 you end up like the Battle of Nuremberg
  • USE_PRECISION_REF=1
They will whistle more "borderline" tackles, but not in an extreme way

Also, I could do this directly in the DB with the Gameplayzer, but apparently in cl.ini you can have them as decimals (eg: REFEREE_CARD_STRICTNESS_OVERRIDE=1.5)

But I ask you not to use these if you want to try my tweaked Aggression ratings, for testing purposes :))

Wouldn't it make sense to test these tweaked aggression settings _on top_ of these strict referee settings? :o

Ok people, here's the updated DB Gameplayzer with all latest bugfixes + tweaked Aggression:
https://mega.nz/#!vhU22I6C!ocfhJoYLGvCNbU33LTrtIaslowZoHYxgjG8PsDx_J38

I made sure to apply the formula at the latest possible moment in the source code, so the Overall isn't touched.
Considering fifaCCitiu also uses the new, calculated Overall to tweak all the other attributes, I didn't want to f**k up the whole feel of the DB.
And that's exactly as Fideco did it, modifying directly the Aggression on the already-Gameplayzed DB.

Please let me know your findings

Ok people, here's the updated DB Gameplayzer with all latest bugfixes + tweaked Aggression:
https://mega.nz/#!vhU22I6C!ocfhJoYLGvCNbU33LTrtIaslowZoHYxgjG8PsDx_J38

I made sure to apply the formula at the latest possible moment in the source code, so the Overall isn't touched.
Considering fifaCCitiu also uses the new, calculated Overall to tweak all the other attributes, I didn't want to f**k up the whole feel of the DB.
And that's exactly as Fideco did it, modifying directly the Aggression on the already-Gameplayzed DB.

Please let me know your findings

Cool.. will try it asap..

I guess I have to start another career in case, right :D ?

Guys, just another question, is it necessary to delete the save folder in documents once I put in the new modified db?

Half-time impressions: The forwards pressure a bit too much now and the game speed has increased. Both negative things, imho. Could the game speed toned down with some other elements? How about the agility? Is there such attribute?

But the increased aggression is definitely apparent and WILL increase the fouls. There's a lot of contact. I got 4 advantages in the 1st half and 4 fouls (total). How about increasing the aggression only for the defenders and defensive midfielders? Can it be done easily?

There is a lot more contact but the ref is NOT CALLING THEM. Pretty much the same amount of fouls, really.

Negatives (a lot of them)
-increased gamespeed (a lot). It's almost like ping-pong occasionally
-CPU defenders cut almost all passes
-through passes were tough but now they're almost impossible
-forwards pressure like crazy
-The whole game balance is screwed somehow, can't put my finger on it

dAR9Rhh.jpg

Conclusion: This is a no-no, definitely. The previous gameplay was MUCH better and no significant difference in fouls. We have to think of some other way to increase them.

:THINK: Ok, yes, increasing players aggression is not the way to go. I think Bangus was right, we could try increase the defensive aggression in team tactics and keep players aggression as is (or increasing it by a small amount just for defenders and DMFs, as you suggested)

There are other potential attribute edits that could be done, but I'd rather not rush things and go one step at a time

PS: I'd ask you to play another game just to be sure, but I guess it'd not be needed :PP

I'm sure another game is not needed. The negative effects are so apparent. I don't know Bangus but he seems to know his football. This was a big step backwards.

But hey... even if we can't increase the fouls we still have pretty damn well playing football game with REASONABLE amount of fouls (compared to anything else modern football game). We can always polish the gameplay even more. 1.01 was a great improvement (although 1.07 gameplay ain't too bad, either).

PS: I have the whole tomorrow evening free to test things.

I did an FA Cup with City. Played two games, had a really good time winning against Fulham 1-0 and losing against Tottenham 2-1.

I agree that I had around 4-5 real fouls even with tweaked aggression. But overall I haven't seen this great disaster, maybe because I was thinking about Premier League rythm.

You know, once we are getting the hang of it, maybe it would be possible to create thematical dbs.. slower for south american football, faster for PL and the such, more ball possession in Spain, more close up teams in Italy.. am I dreaming?

Last edited:
@El Pajaro: Yes, I agree, as of now the amount of fouls is reasonable. A lot of people say that, since we're playing at least 20-minute games instead of 90, if we multiply our fouls by 4 or 5 (for real life 90-minute games), maybe the total fouls are even too much, if we were to play full 90 minutes matches.
It makes sense if you think about it -- but then we would have to think the same about shots and goals, though. They too would be way too much if we were to play a real time 90-minute game. Why are they to be considered different than fouls? :THINK:

@Madmac79: I like this idea, but I don't think it would be easy to implement.
Let me explain: even a DB like Moddingway's Copa America one, with only the Copa America teams, still have different teams in there with different mentalities (think of the USA).
I think the best we can do is to have a best of both worlds, so it can be reasonably applied universally :))

For what we tested yesterday, I've been reading pages and pages about it, and this is what Bangus says about increasing fouls:
  • Lower speed, accel, agility, strength, balance and tackle ratings.
  • Raise aggression ratings. Raise team defaggression ratings in the teams table. *
  • Use the speed and accel sliders to balance the game play, so that the CPU can catch you. Again, if the CPU can't catch you, it can't foul you. On the lower difficulty levels, that usually means you must RAISE CPU speed and accel, to give it an advantage. I'm currently playing on the lower difficulty levels, with User speed/accel between 50-53 and CPU 63-66. And something else: the reverse works on the higher difficulty levels. On Legendary for example, the CPU has such a speed advantage (and AI boost advantage) that you have to LOWER CPU speed/accel to balance the game play and to see fouls. When you lower CPU speed/accel, you will see situations where the CPU can't quite catch you, so it will stick out a leg and trip you instead. This is due to the CPU aggression coding that kicks in on the higher difficulty levels. This aggression/boost coding doesn't kick in as much on the lower difficulty levels, which is a big reason why you won't see as many fouls playing on Pro or Semi.
  • Lower the line sliders to create a tighter CPU defensive positional setup. Simply put, the more CPU players back to defend, the more chances a CPU player will foul you as you move the ball closer to the CPU goal.
* This, he doesn't like doing it, and suggests we don't, so no high team aggression either, I misquoted him yesterday, my bad

I can try and concoct something along those lines, bundled with you guys' suggestions (again, nothing too extreme), to see if we can have more fouls without ruining the gameplay altogether?
FifaCCitiu already reduced strength, balance and arguably speed, don't know about the other attributes.

PS: I still have to play a game to test yesterday's tweaked aggression, so I don't know what my feelings about it are yet.

Saludos :))

Please read all of this pretty, pretty carefully (if you're willing, and have the time of course :PP)

Alright, I played a quick match (actually, only the first 15-20 minutes of it) with yesterday's Aggression tweaks.
I didn't really like it, it was definitely quicker (though not as extreme as it seemed to El Pajaro), and I didn't really get any fouls.
The reason: Aggression works both ways. The higher it is, the more aggressive a player is, but he's also more likely to win the ball in a tackle -- so no foul. Credits to Regularcat for this.

So, I went to the Gameplayzer and decided to make some other tweaks:
  • Aggression now is untouched, same for Team Tactics' Defense Aggression. Advocates for a low or high Aggression both make fairly good points, so I left it as fifaCCitiu intended, which is pretty much a middle ground
  • Sprint Speed and Acceleration (the players' attributes, not the sliders) globally reduced by 70%, for GKs too. Same reasons as for Agility
  • Agility globally reduced by 75%, but only for field players. Maybe I should do the same for the GKs, but maybe it affects their saving ability. This should also make for a smoother gameplay, not just for fouls
  • Standing Tackle attribute now is half the Sliding Tackle attribute, again not for GKs. As for the Aggression rating, reducing these two attibutes make players tackle less cleanly, but also make them tackle less times. FifaCCitiu already reduced them slightly, so with this simple tweak I made sure players slide tackle more, hence more fouls. But, I wouldn't want to have players slide tackle all over the place, so let me hear your thoughts
  • Attacking Work Rate globally set to Low, field players only. Should prevent frantic CPU attacking
  • Defending Work Rate globally set to High, field players only. Players should defend better, and should cause more fouls according to their Aggression rating
There are other tweaks I would like to test, but let's focus on these for now.
Here's the updated Gameplayzer:
https://mega.nz/#!b1Ex2QbJ!Yv_lfUFLqg3ePRNNO16C1_v2Byj74Ohy0lAKXyjiEs0

I also tweaked my sliders, so please update them too, and let me know what you think, as I don't think they're right yet:
World Class/Legendary, Slow, 10-15 minutes
Sprint 51/50 <--- as Bangus said, lowering CPU speed should reduce their boosts, and create more fouls
Acceleration 50/49 <--- same
Shot Error 55/55
Pass Error 55/65 <--- to make the CPU less perfect in their passing, I'd increase it over 65, but I fear their crosses would end up in the stands
Shot Speed 50/50
Pass Speed 40/40
Injury Freq 70/70
Injury Severity 60/60
GK Ability 30/30 <--- I was seeing too many superhuman saves
Marking 60/65
Run Freq. 20/20 <--- 1/1 was good for v1.07, with v1.01 they don't attack too frantically
Height 40/40 <--- these are Bangus's suggested line sliders, he changes them before every match to suit the team he plays, but I wanted to make them universal, so they're an average
Length 65/65 <--- same
Width 50/50 <--- same
Fullbacks 15/15 <--- in v1.01 the fullbacks already press too much forward
First Touch 64/66
Power Bar 50

These are the statistics of a match I played with these settings:
SEYMLrM.png

My observations:
  • The reduction in Speed is not as extreme as I thought, but maybe it's still a bit much. It certainly helped reducing the CPU's frantic pace
  • Same with the Pass Speed slider maybe, let me know what your thoughts are
  • No apparent negative effect from having low Agility
  • Fouls were in the right number I think (only a couple handballs). Too many cards, but because I use those referee strictness strings. I should maybe put the card string to 0.8, or lower
  • Bangus's Line sliders definitely made for a tighter defense, but I was still getting past them with ease, they didn't challenge me. Maybe we should raise Aggression just for DEFs and DMFs, increase Defending Pressure in Team Tactics, or increase the Standing Tackle attribute slightly (like Sliding Tackle/1.5 instead of /2)
  • CPU Pass Accuracy is still high. Maybe I should raise the CPU Pass Error slider
  • Since I reduced Sprint Speed and Acceleration, players didn't really tire. If we decide to continue on this path, we should reduce Stamina to make sure players tire and substitutions are useful
  • One thing I noticed: on free kicks and corner kicks (more on the latter), the CPU never ever crosses the ball. They always call a second player and go for the short pass. I don't know if it's my sliders, the Gameplayzer, or both. Do you also have it?

Back
Top Bottom