Fifa 13: Career Mode Discussions

The stat increases are a worry, I will have to keep an eye out on my game.

I haven't checked in edit mode yet but it seems like there may be a Growth stat like old times (Elite growth and Standard etc) or maybe some kind of hidden stat thing.

Also I checked up Milo is tipped to become a great star (if its the same player) in real life, Arsenal where even tipped to get him so maybe it's that :)

Have you got any sliders setting I can nick? Last year yours were brilliant!

Not yet I'm still working out on getting the balance right and primarily getting to grips with the game, I only played about 4 demo matches so it's all still very new to me!

Also noticing quite high growth rates but it's players you expect to grow and I'm not so bothered really because it's players that start off at Newcastle who are <60, previously they would never amount to anything and ten years later be stuck at 63 in the reserves somewhere so at least this way maybe in 10 years they will be the future stars rather than all the stars being regens or 37 year old Wayne Rooneys :)

Not yet I'm still working out on getting the balance right and primarily getting to grips with the game, I only played about 4 demo matches so it's all still very new to me!

Also noticing quite high growth rates but it's players you expect to grow and I'm not so bothered really because it's players that start off at Newcastle who are <60, previously they would never amount to anything and ten years later be stuck at 63 in the reserves somewhere so at least this way maybe in 10 years they will be the future stars rather than all the stars being regens or 37 year old Wayne Rooneys :)

That is true, it took too long for players to grow in 12, maybe there will be some actual use of buying the youth to actually play in your team in a few seasons time.

Set up my first scouting network! Lets see what it looks like this year..
Loving that CM is a challenge to play, but I always have the full-assist full of fun FUT matches if I want to just score goals and have a piss around..

Oh, since switching to Pro I've won 3-0 at Burton and beat Cheltenham at home 4-1, which isn't too unrealistic given that my team is 1 maybe 1 and a half stars better than them.

You guys are lucky to be playing in EPL, in RPL I get none of that commentary stuff really, even scores during the game are not read out :(

You guys are lucky to be playing in EPL, in RPL I get none of that commentary stuff really, even scores during the game are not read out :(

Bit off topic, but I was trying to get Zenit's formation right. What's the starting eleven front 6 please now Witsel and Hulk are there please?

Witsel is injured for now. So now its kerzhakov as ST, Hulk as RW, Bystrov as LW, Shirokov and Zyryanov are CM, and Denisov as CDM. When Danny comes back from injury he'll replace Bystrov and Witsel will replace Zyryanov. Also Denisov was sent to reserves today cause he wants more money, so I dunno who will be a CDM instead.

Witsel is injured for now. So now its kerzhakov as ST, Hulk as RW, Bystrov as LW, Shirokov and Zyryanov are CM, and Denisov as CDM. When Danny comes back from injury he'll replace Bystrov and Witsel will replace Zyryanov. Also Denisov was sent to reserves today cause he wants more money, so I dunno who will be a CDM instead.

Cheers.

So is there a way of putting your VP in your team?

I used to love putting him in Arsenal and playing a normal manager mode so he was one of the players and building him up.

Please tell me I can do it?!

Have we figured out the answer yet? Or is VP disabled until the actual release date or something?

Player manager mode is no more. If it's not in this version it won't be in the full release - makes no sense to take it out, you're getting the full game minus any early-to-retail online matchup issues.

I know that you can go from player to manager within the player mode though, so maybe after ten seasons you can be a player manager then?

Doubt it, but... Really crap decision either way...

Player manager mode is no more. If it's not in this version it won't be in the full release - makes no sense to take it out, you're getting the full game minus any early-to-retail online matchup issues.

I know that you can go from player to manager within the player mode though, so maybe after ten seasons you can be a player manager then?

Doubt it, but... Really crap decision either way...

Well can you still at least put the VP on your team in Manager mode?

The only way to make your pro that I can see is by starting a career mode game as a player. That player doesn't then appear in the database outside of that save - not that I can see anyway. (Which to be fair I like, otherwise mates come over and there's Chris Davies in midfield for Tranmere.)

The only thing you can do to be a "player manager", that I can see, is to create a new player in the database and transfer him where you want to be. Then manage that team, and sign that player wherever you go. If that makes sense. And is also very disappointing. This was my game mode from 12 and earlier.

EDIT 1: Been experimenting with this for the last ten minutes or so and it looks like I'm right.

EDIT 2: I sort of see why. The little updates and missions you get when you're a player or a manager, to merge them or sort them to work around each other in some way, might require a lot more work than you'd think at first glance. I didn't think there was a lot of changes but playing as a pro there's plenty of new stuff going on.

Last edited:
We knew Player/Manager was being taken out and the logic for why they did that made sense, but they should have been up front about the fact they were also taking out the option to use your VP in a regular manager career mode.

Well this sucks, that was how I spent 99% of my time... Playing straight manager mode with my VP in the squad.

Are there any comments from EA on this? Tweets, etc?

I'm a huge fan of the career mode and always play as a single player but Fifa 12 was ruined by the alarming transfers,this year we were told this was going to be drastically reduced to a more realistic version....i can't see any evidence of this yet as the signings are still very worrying..

No I would say it is massively improved, there's some big names gone in the first window but maybe four or five and from the EPL it was just Yaya and Tevez that I saw Man City sell, nothing like Fifa12 where you would see at least 10-15 big names move by the first window, and by the second to third year they'd be moving again, and again.

One thing, weren't we told that loan transfers would have a separate window or something? Doesn't seem to be the case at all, now the January window has closed it won't let me do any loans :(

It does sound better that the volume of transfers has gone down but Man City selling Tevez AND Toure in the same window :CONFUSE:

And then Sneidjer going to City which always happened in FIFA12,then Arsenal selling Ox Chamberlain for 8m :CONFUSE:,the number may have gone down but it is who they are selling and the amount which is crazy

That is still very worrying..

Has anyone else noticed that the international players who don't have a club in Career Mode are now in Free Agents?! Excellent stuff!

Is that in the first season? I only saw free agents <69 OVR and assume there's free internationals higher than that? I did see a couple of Indian players so assumed that's where they were from.

Toure didn't go in the first window for me, the only 3 big ones that went were Gotze, Hummels and Tevez. So It wasn't that bad.

Enjoying my career mode at the moment, Llorente is scoring, but I am really having to play to his strengths which is his heading. I use Cazorla to play pin point crosses onto his bonce and 90% of the time they are on target.

I played a lovely cross with Cazorla right smack bang on Llorente's head, all he had to do was stoop a little bit and direct it downwards past the keeper for a goal. It looked really good.

I got knocked out of the Capital One cup against Cardiff away (I'm Arsenal), I played a reserve team and although I dominated most of the game, Bellamy played well and they beat me 2-1. It felt good and I didn't feel that Cardiff were playing like a top team, but it sort of played out like a cup upset would. Me dominating but making silly mistakes to cost us the game and the Cardiff players being more up for it.

I am really enjoying it at the moment, games feel hard and I definately am noticing a difference between the teams I play. I don't think they mimic real life exactly, but they do differ from each other.

for instance playing against Stoke, they look to target their big players in the box and don't play it around as much, mainly to the wingers and trying to get a cross in at every opportunity.

Whereas Liverpool were pinging it about and trying to play more centrally with Suarez getting a lot of the ball and being threatening.

I don't know if this is passed down to the lower leagues, but at the moment I am happy with the Prem.

I played Norwich last night and I thought they played somewhat life like, they mixed up their passing but would resort to the hoof at times for Morison when I kept breaking up their passing attacks.

What skill level are you on? I'm back onto World Class now, had to drop down to Professional with default sliders but have tweaked the sliders a bit now (as well as started to get the hang of the game and most importantly tweaked my tactics for Newcastle to work much harder off the ball in closing down).

Have you also noticed that stamina has been toned way down so that nobody is tired until after 65 or so?

I played Norwich last night and I thought they played somewhat life like, they mixed up their passing but would resort to the hoof at times for Morison when I kept breaking up their passing attacks.

What skill level are you on? I'm back onto World Class now, had to drop down to Professional with default sliders but have tweaked the sliders a bit now (as well as started to get the hang of the game and most importantly tweaked my tactics for Newcastle to work much harder off the ball in closing down).

Have you also noticed that stamina has been toned way down so that nobody is tired until after 65 or so?

I'm on default sliders, Manual and Professional at the moment. It's an odd one, Professional is harder than in Fifa12, but it is still quite easy to get the ball off of the opponent sometimes, but I still find that they can really punish you if you make a mistake and they score some good goals. So it is still a challenge for me.

Once I play this season, I will go up to World class I think. Because the getting the ball off of the opponent easily takes the feeling away for me a bit.

I don't really notice the stamina being different from 12, although I only really looked at my players and subbing them around the 70th minute anyway and their stamina bars (In the formation screen) look pretty similar to what they would do in 12?

In the demo I occasionally had this impression versus Man City. They would usually pass along the floor to feet, but if I was able to sustain the territorial advantage for a period of play and keep them in their half for a bit, it seemed like they would start going long to Dzeko in order to break out. I couldn't say for sure if that was just coincidence, or whether they recognise the use of a target man in certain situations.

Would you expect someone to be tired before then, though?

Well I'd expect one or two to be in yellow, especially someone who's forced to do a lot of running like a winger, in Fifa12 I would have one or two on yellow by then.

Started this yesterday with Spurs. I enquired about Moutinho and was told Porto would accept around £19m. Offered £17.5m which was refused so I had to wait until I'd sold a few players (Dawson/United, Gomes/Sunderland, Jenas/Sunderland) and then went back in for him. Got MOTM in his first game, just controlling the midfield alongside Parker/Sandro with Dembele in front of them. Really enjoying it this year.

One annoying thing this year is that if I counter an offer for one of my players 95% of the time the other team just says that the player is not worth that much and the discussions are over.

There should be more negotiating, it is really annoying otherwise.

In one case I put the price up by £1.5million, then they just said he isn't worth that much and it was all over. They could of met me half way or something, that is frustrating.

They either say he isn't worth it, or they say they agree with the price and will offer the player a contract.

Is this what others are experiencing, I have done it with about 9 players and this is what is happening. Maybe someone who has done more transfers can answer if this is what they are seeing as well?

Yes I get that, but the other teams generally agree to pay what I'm asking (if I raise it by £2m or so). I think they've replied once with a "not following up offer" email.

I've had teams come in for players I don't want to sell (unless they offer something crazy) like Ba, Cabaye, Tiote etc and for those I'm countered back pretty much asking for double their value, probably about 6 different bids for those kinds of players, half the time they say thanks but no thanks and half the time they've upped their offers, a German team was after Cabaye and that went on for about four or five negotiations before they gave up, think they offered his market value of 8.5 first, I said I want 18, they came back with 9, I said 15, they came back with 9.5 I said I wanted 12 and they offered 9.5 twice more before they finally gave up. Never had an AI team offer cash plus a player for one of my players so I'm guessing that wasn't implemented?

For players I had on the transfer list it's probably about 50% as well they either say no thanks or come back with an offer, Villa bought Ryan Taylor and first offer about 75% of his value, I countered with something like 110% and they said yep that's fine and it was done, cool thing was I played Villa about 3 matches after that and they made a big deal about the fact he was returning to face his former team in a news item and again during the match the commentators mentioned it, he didn't actually play though which was a shame cos I was hoping he'd get booed!
:)

My best experience is definitely in buying players, that's handled so much better now, 12 was so shit whereby if they say no twice without even giving you a hint what they wanted you then get that obnoxious message "we've been told a resounded no by their club, try again in the next window" or whatever it was, very poor game design IMO.

Because Newcastle had so little cash to spend I've been trying to buy 1st team players with cash + spare squad players and sometimes I've tried 3 or 4 different player + cash offers before the team decide that's something they want and the deal is made.

Only slight disappointments are 1. absolutely nothing is changed about transfer deadline day, they could have split it into half hour implements surely? and 2. I swear I read the loan window was now separate but that doesn't seem the case at all? :(

Oh have to add, the other very good thing, you can now switch your offer from loan to buy and vice versa anytime depending how the process is going, a couple of players I couldn't afford deals for so after failing in negotiations I switched it to loan + agreed fee (anyone else notice the board now restricts what you can offer as an agreed fee to a realistic amount?)

Cash plus players are in though I'm not sure if the AI will utilise them ( much like the loan with option to buy last season) I had a bid rejected for Westcarr in the form of £100,000 and a sub keeper.

Back
Top Bottom