FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

You on xbox live?

I'll stick fifa 11 in and give you a game right now if you want? ;-)

Some other time as I'm in bed. But if you beat me 8 - 0 I'll pay for your copy of FIFA 12 for you! ;)

And if you are so good at the game, surely you can master the defending! ;)

This is my point exactly - you're talking about it from the perspective of someone controlling the player closest to the attacking player in possession.

I don't want to control that player. I want to control the player closest to the guy I think you're about to pass to.

I don't want to Jockey - I want to block off your pass by pre-empting where I think you're going to go.

You still can!

Anyway, goodnight fella. I'll leave you to it.

Well I'm not ashamed to admit that I think I'm officially the worst FIFA 12 player anywhere. I must have played about 15 or so demo matches in the last couple of evenings and scored ONE goal. I can't muster a single chance. That's on Professional by the way, I played FIFA09, 10, World Cup 2010 all on Legendary and mastered it, FIFA11 on World Class (but found infuriatingly difficult) and now this on Pro kicks my ass. I just can't attack.

Passing lanes seem completely cut off. I can't get any players up the pitch in support of strikers. The AI tracks every single run I initiate. It's impossible. Play the ball slowly in midfield and no-one does anything besides make themselves available sideways to you. The AI seems to track everything that goes on.

Add to that the defending, I just don't get it. The tactical defending button just makes your player jockey from a distance, too far away to get a foot in. It keeps your defender just out of reach. Then you try and jockey manually, and the crazy turning ability of the AI just means that it skips past you in the blink of an eye. I can't defend one particular move the AI does over and over and over, it's driving me insane. It passes to the wing, I go to meet the winger, he passes it inside to an unmarked running in an inside right or left channel, who chips a little cross from the edge of the box and a striker always seems to outjump my defenders.

Aside from defending, I'm finding that all the extra stuff like tactical dribbling, 360 dribbling etc are great for making space for yourself, and the pressure feels eased off, but then try getting a bit further up the pitch and you get swamped out because no-one on your team are making any runs apart from any in a straight line that you initiated yourself. In the demo you can't alter the tactics, so I don't know how people are managing to play this except for maybe scoring the odd goal off a quick counter.

How on earth do you even create a chance at goal?!!

Well I'm not ashamed to admit that I think I'm officially the worst FIFA 12 player anywhere. I must have played about 15 or so demo matches in the last couple of evenings and scored ONE goal. I can't muster a single chance. That's on Professional by the way, I played FIFA09, 10, World Cup 2010 all on Legendary and mastered it, FIFA11 on World Class (but found infuriatingly difficult) and now this on Pro kicks my ass. I just can't attack.

Passing lanes seem completely cut off. I can't get any players up the pitch in support of strikers. The AI tracks every single run I initiate. It's impossible. Play the ball slowly in midfield and no-one does anything besides make themselves available sideways to you. The AI seems to track everything that goes on.

Add to that the defending, I just don't get it. The tactical defending button just makes your player jockey from a distance, too far away to get a foot in. It keeps your defender just out of reach. Then you try and jockey manually, and the crazy turning ability of the AI just means that it skips past you in the blink of an eye. I can't defend one particular move the AI does over and over and over, it's driving me insane. It passes to the wing, I go to meet the winger, he passes it inside to an unmarked running in an inside right or left channel, who chips a little cross from the edge of the box and a striker always seems to outjump my defenders.

Aside from defending, I'm finding that all the extra stuff like tactical dribbling, 360 dribbling etc are great for making space for yourself, and the pressure feels eased off, but then try getting a bit further up the pitch and you get swamped out because no-one on your team are making any runs apart from any in a straight line that you initiated yourself. In the demo you can't alter the tactics, so I don't know how people are managing to play this except for maybe scoring the odd goal off a quick counter.

How on earth do you even create a chance at goal?!!

Having played quite a few games using legacy defending, I have to say I was loving attacking... Through balls are SO much better than in Fifa 11. They're actually intelligent now - you'll find players like Nasri and Silva (guess which team I generally play as?) making beautiful creative passes the likes you've never seen before on Fifa 11. I'm talking stuff like a pass that'll slice through two defenders or curl around a defender at just the right angle. Through passing is pretty sexy in this version of the game...

My experience with the demo is that those players only have one striker to play the through ball to, who's usually making no run and surrounded by a large number of defenders. Plus I don't want to play constant break away and through ball stuff, it's okay now and again but would rather play slow, patient build up. I don't know how anyone else manages it in this demo. My midfielders barely cross the halfway line.

Creation Centre is a laborious chore to work through. EA have really trumped themselves this time. Firstly, my FIFA 11 data is either blocked from editing (teams) or corrupted (players). Their age and skills have been wiped, and I can't update one of them because his name contains a profanity (which is his actual name).

I dont understand what people dont like about it other than its new, needs skill and patience. Last year was horrific just charging into people or the computer tackling for you where is the fun in that.

The trick to TD is to stand off and not sprint everywhere. Jockey and then time your standing tackle. I've also noticed the AI makes more passing errors when you stop diving in and stand off more. Or is certainly seems that way

NAILED IT.

The moment I started doing this in the demo I was repaid with the CPU trying long balls and misplacing through-balls to my centre backs. Problem is it was about 20mins into the demo by the time the CPU let-up. EA's criminally short demo was the most pointless thing ever.

Agree with the tactical defending comments. I now either try and stay in pass lanes and let someone else press/contain, or I contain but wait and time my tackles.
It's been great against cut back/finesse shot players. I just let them run at me, run at me, then when they cut I'm able to get a foot in and get the ball to a teammate or clear it. I am actually really liking the defending, I just wish midget players weren't so oddly strong, there are times it seems impossible to do anything to them (although shot accuracy seems to be down across the board, especially for finesse and people still only use this).

And on the one striker thing, it works, even for VP matches where people play correctly. You just have to be patient..it's way more rewarding though. I've been in some great games where teammates knocked the ball around, back and forth, waiting for a lazy player to charge out then we could press forward. There are some fun players out there, then there's the cheesers.

If anyone wants to add me on LIVE, feel free, gamer tag is ausmara. I actually don't have the game right now but I'm getting it Thursday or Friday.

so whats the actual prices that the retailers are selling the game for? hopefully not £40 as the ultimate addition is £42.

I don't get all the praise. This game truly sucks on PC .. I don't know about consoles but all the reviews suggest this is the best footy game ever? NO way, not even close.

Attacking play is heavily scripted, CPU never commits fouls, generic goals , slow build up play (no momentum) , players still skate like they're on ice, Impact Engine... what Impact Engine? Barely do players actually collide. Fact is, FIFA 11 was much better than this.

Last edited:
Concerning this day 1 patch, is it just .exe, as I read on EA board, or proper patch? Some say it's 42mb (exe file), some that it's 3.2gb O.o

Anyone know what's going on?

I don't get all the praise. This game truly sucks on PC .. I don't know about consoles but all the reviews suggest this is the best footy game ever? NO way, not even close.

Attacking play is heavily scripted, CPU never commits fouls, generic goals , slow build up play (no momentum) , players still skate like they're on ice, Impact Engine... what Impact Engine? Barely do players actually collide. Fact is, FIFA 11 was much better than this.

Wow, it must play way worse on the PC than consoles 'cause I can't think of one aspect of 12 that isn't an improvement over 11.

I dont understand what people dont like about it other than its new, needs skill and patience. Last year was horrific just charging into people or the computer tackling for you where is the fun in that.

The trick to TD is to stand off and not sprint everywhere. Jockey and then time your standing tackle. I've also noticed the AI makes more passing errors when you stop diving in and stand off more. Or is certainly seems that way

I actually only stand off near my own goal. Around the center circle I am constantly chasing the ball (I try to avoid sprinting too much), and have often picked the ball off the midfielder, when they didn't get control fast enough - however more often than not, I've just run past them, that's why I don't do it in defence :) But picking the ball off the opponent in their own half (without a homing missile) is really satisfying.

Wow, it must play way worse on the PC than consoles 'cause I can't think of one aspect of 12 that isn't an improvement over 11.

Agreed.

I would say this is the best Fifa to date and what they should have followed the very good (for its time) Fifa 08 with, gameplay is excellent, CM is absolutely superb, really happy with it, impact engine is obviously buggy as we all know but the fact remains that when the impact engine combined with real injuries works right it's excellent, prime example, I'm Man City playing Villa, my player makes a bad tackle on Nzogbia, goes in hard mistiming the tackle and you see Nzogbia clattered to the ground and lands heavy, my player is booked, Nzogbia is still down rolling around holding his knee, he has to be subbed, he slowly limps off holding his knee, the match ends and there's a news headline that Nzogbia has done his ACL and will be out for 7 months, I actually felt a bit guilty!

Just bought the game but wont be able to play til late tonight or on the weekend (long weekend here - YAY).

I am thinking of creating myself as a VP and starting off in Adelaide United (my local team). Is it likely that I would be able to move up to higher leagues and eventually make it to a big club or league after a few years?

I notice some nice injuries yesterday if its not yet mentioned here. The cpu player suddenly stop dribbling the ball and it looks like he had some thigh strain or something. nice touch. But then after few times touching his legs, he running back up to speed right away. :/

I notice some nice injuries yesterday if its not yet mentioned here. The cpu player suddenly stop dribbling the ball and it looks like he had some thigh strain or something. nice touch. But then after few times touching his legs, he running back up to speed right away. :/

At first, I was :D

Then I was :(

There was some talk about a volley modifier button. So pressing one of the shoulder buttons would 'force' the striker to attempt a volley rather than heading it or receiving and controlling the ball and then shoot.

Did this make it into the final game? And if i did, which butten should i use?

I'm loving this game. I could hardly find any manual games on the early release but now i find manual opponents right away, even on head to head season. And there is hardly any lag either.

This game is a milestone.

No £25 sale at supermarkets, they haven't done that for a few years now have they?

Currently, the cheapest place in the UK to buy FIFA 12 is Asda. The supermarket giant is selling the 9/10 football fiesta for £38.97.

There was some talk about a volley modifier button. So pressing one of the shoulder buttons would 'force' the striker to attempt a volley rather than heading it or receiving and controlling the ball and then shoot.

Did this make it into the final game? And if i did, which butten should i use?

I'm loving this game. I could hardly find any manual games on the early release but now i find manual opponents right away, even on head to head season. And there is hardly any lag either.

This game is a milestone.

VOLLEY MODIFIERRRRRRRRRRRR

Mine is LT

Back
Top Bottom