FIFA 10

Hang on. The NDA is lifted yet they're still holding things back?
Things about Manager Mode have been discussed but not tested, because it wasn't enabled in the builds on show. There's still a lot of work to be done on the modes, it's all been gameplay work so far so that's all that was on show and all that the NDAs let us talk about (obviously they're not going to let us talk about things if we've had no experience of them).

That was a pretty poor "preview" I thought. Pretty much nothing mentioned that we couldn't have guessed would be in FIFA 10 anyway, any of us could've wrote that knowing those changes would make it into FIFA 10 and it doesn't reveal anything to make us think Suff actually played the game.
After the leak all of the details became common knowledge, and we've played the same builds as the other places, so it's not like we're going to see anything new... Although I'm sure we mentioned some new stuff as well, like moving the ball to the foot you want it on (perhaps I'm wrong though, I didn't read too much about the leak so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of what they said).

So FSB doesn't know anything abput what features are in MM or anything yet?

chris can you let us know when the fsb podcast is coming out...iz it today?...wot time can we expect it?

So FSB doesn't know anything abput what features are in MM or anything yet?
We do, but because we've only been told about them rather than having played with any of them, we're not allowed by NDA to say anything about them (for many reasons, things might change, previously mentioned limitations might be abolished etc. - there's four months left of programming yet and so far it's been the gameplay getting all the treatment, so it's just not ready yet).

chris can you let us know when the fsb podcast is coming out...iz it today?...wot time can we expect it?
This evening - no further news as yet, I'll let you know as soon as it's all arranged.

Will Edge have any more info or is it more of the same?

This evening - no further news as yet, I'll let you know as soon as it's all arranged.

alright chris thanks
u will be in the podcast right?...can you ask suff if the ball trapping has been improved such as when the player chests the ball. in fifa 09 it was quite slow and mpost of the time the ball will go miles away from the player when they chest it.
thanks

So far it's looking good.

However one main improvement high up on most people's wish lists seems to have been ignored: players feeling and playing differently to other players.

I know there's plenty of development left but if it was intended to be included they'd have made a big thing of it I think?

Anyway, it's all good so far I'm just made up they're putting so much effort into the single player mode.

Hey, football_fan - I just read on the link dags provided that the trapping problem HAS been addressed :-)

Hey, football_fan - I just read on the link dags provided that the trapping problem HAS been addressed :-)

really, thats not good then how ever i have read in this link http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210785/fifa-10-hands-on
that rather than players chesting every ball that comes in they will move back in space if the have it to take it on their feet.
in that same article they speak of 11 vs 11... most guessed this was going to arrive in fifa 10 and i think its a good idea...also the fact of being able to try in out in the practise mode being a keeper that is...that sounds promising too.

Last edited:
Agree with MJP - that would be the one question I really want answered. Anyone who's played - thoughts? Can you tell the difference between being Vidic and Ferdinand on the ball? (I use them as examples given similar size, but very different technique ratings).

Hi,

I wanna know if wheather effects will be in this fifa10?? fed up top play 99.8 % sunny matchs..

Hi,

I wanna know if wheather effects will be in this fifa10?? fed up top play 99.8 % sunny matchs..

Hmm...this question sounds familiar ;-p

It does raise a valid point though that perhaps, in my very humble opinion, this and the screenshots thread should be merged - any thoughts mods?

Hmm...this question sounds familiar ;-p

It does raise a valid point though that perhaps, in my very humble opinion, this and the screenshots thread should be merged - any thoughts mods?

How EA can forget this good point of realism ??

wheather its important for realism and last year only 2 stadiums will have rain! :RANT:

its not difficult to put on a game, tiger woods, madden..have this.

In addition to the previous article, FIFA 10 Next-Gen Preview, there's a new one up there now; FIFA 10 Next-Gen Notes.

Nothing majorly different but it's all the stuff that EA said during their presentations to the press, basically. What they want to do with the game and the improvements they're working on.

Loving all the stuff that's come out today, some great interviews on FIFA Informer and the hands-on stuff at Eurogamer and IGN is great as well.

That's one of the questions I'll be asking in the podcast tonight Nick, you asked in the questions thread on FSB so I'll be sure to get an answer for you.

I wonder, do the menus still feel like they're being driven slowly through a vat of treacle, backwards or can we now expect a more immediate response to our favourite green button?

Also, this increased logic behind the transfers worries me; it sounds very black and white and so the chances of ever getting a simulated FIFA version of Robinho to City is looking very unlikely.

To be fair I can't think of many more examples but I'm sure it makes me point.

You can quickly place the ball on the preferred foot.

Once again this bugs me a lot, its as if I have to remind Hulk (Porto player) that he is he left footed and that he shouldn't be shooting with his right foot.

I don't think that you have to remind them, I think it's a case of if you want them to hit it with their other foot because of their position then you can. It drives me mad when you're on the right of the goal and they hit a terrible shot with their left foot, now if I want the guy to use his weaker foot knowing it's an easy opportunity I can.

Mirror Q&A:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/06/03/fifa-10-q-a-with-ea-sports-115875-21411625/

You come from a Championship Manager background. Is there a reflection of that in the FIFA 10 management mode?

There’s not necessarily a reflection but certainly some experience. I’m not the only person who was there. We’ve got quite a few people from simulation and football management games. For me, the important things in a football management game are, one, that matches that come out of the engine are realistic, have authentic scorelines that have been calculated from the input of the players and the formation. If that doesnt happen there’s no point in having the mode.

The second part that’s very important is the transfers. If you can’t give someone the tools to feel they’ve actually won in a negotiation with someone in the game then there’s no point in doing transfers either, both of those things are crucial. That’s where the vast majority of our efforts have gone.

The third part is if I am training a player. If I’ve bought this 17 year old, I don’t know if he’s going to be any good. He needs to develop appropriately as a player, so that’s your long term pick, because eventually you should be able to play in manager mode beyond the scope of footballers from when the game starts.

Do you think there’s enough in the FIFA 10 management mode to attract football manager fans?
In FIFA? No, not at the moment. If you’re into football management or Champ Man, you are at a different level than we can currently deliver in FIFA. I think that long term we can certainly try and get to that level. But the other side of the coin is that I think our simulation of football is pretty good, so that’s where our experience lies. We should be allowing you to play the game in a different way, if you want to play in control of just one of the players on the pitch you can, if you want to control the transfers, you can.

Fair enough, hopefully it'll be explained better by those that have played the game.

For fuck sake it just gets better and better:

Last year you had eight directional play with relatively predictable outcomes to physical interactions, and the sprint button. This year you’ve got a totally analog control system, 360 degrees dribbling. You can go anywhere you want at any speed, with skilled dribbling.

This is another thing some of us has been wanting, to get rid of the sprint button and instead use the tilt of the left stick. I am truly amazed in the degree they are listening to the fans, simply amazing stuff. :APPLAUD:

Edit: That is if I'm not misunderstanding that statement.

We should be allowing you to play the game in a different way, if you want to play in control of just one of the players on the pitch you can, if you want to control the transfers, you can.

:CONFUSE: Could this be what I've been asking for? To play as fixed player in MM? Amazing if it is because I read the official forums and I have never seen anyone but me request this so I would never have thought they would implement it. Man I really really hope that is what he meant.

It's like the only thing left on my wish-list is an in depth BAPS and the removal of the script that only one player from each team can lock on to the ball (to try to shoot/pass and so on).

Last edited:
I am frankly amazed that they have manged the 360 movement which is fluid and has adaptive control.

This a massive technological achievement and to have it showcased so early is a welcome effort from EA:APPLAUD:

Now that you’ve had time to digest all of our thoughts and feelings about our time with FIFA 10, here is a list of notes we took from EA’s presentations in London and Vancouver including what they’re working on, what they’re working towards and what complaints they’ve taken on-board.

Gameplay is the #1 priority
Begin the revamp of Manager Mode

In FIFA 09 the overall experience was strong, but still featuring some frustrations.
The aim is 30% innovation, 70% refinement.

Fourth year with this engine
• Cutting edge
• Detail driven
• Critical areas improved
• Becoming hard to improve further

Refining fundamentals

• Urgency
○ New urgency AI Logic, understands threat
○ New face-ball logic, so players look at ball and positioning
○ Space threat – players will watch the runs of the opponent as well as any dangers such as gaps in defence

• Trapping
○ More realistic, less like magical touch
○ Removed impossible trap animations
○ Improved trapping intelligence, how players react and respond

• Positioning of players
○ Improved defensive awareness – postion priority logic balance on player attributes
○ Improved balance – players swap positions and cover for each other
○ Improved attacking mentality of AI players – no more useless straight line runs

• Passing
○ Halved the time that the ball is in motion when passing
○ Physics tweaked to improve feeling and fluidity
○ Better space and threat analysis

• Shooting
○ Floatiness reduced
○ Improved and fine tuned parameters of shooting (including Reynard and Magnus effects)
○ Various set of parameters included this year depending on kick type

• Defending
○ Improved slide tackling, including balance, momentum and reach
○ Timing becomes critical - longer to touch, easier to avoid
○ Clearance logic, with more effort driven clearances
○ Urgency and awareness, so that if a player’s out of position then someone will cover

• Goalkeeping
○ More aggressive
○ More intelligent
○ More urgent
○ More responsive with more rushes and punches under pressure

Response to feedback
• 280 million games played online
• Lots of useful feedback

Frustrations
• Balance of teams and tactics
• Lofted through balls constantly sparking attacks
• Goalkeepers, exploits and behaviour
• Movement – run animations
• Shooting – ball physics and too many shots hitting the post
• Rules – offsides and advantages not quite right

Requests
• Practice arena improvements
• Manager Mode improvements
• Continuous play including quick free-kicks

Removed scripted sequences
• Carding was too predictable in the past
• Warnings (must stay focused on the screen to see all outcomes)
• Quick free-kicks added

Innovations

Change the way the game is played
• 360° Dribbling - first sports game to include 360° dribbling
○ Now you have the ability to spot gaps and run through them
○ You can modify the direction of running subtly
○ You can quickly place the ball on the preferred foot
• Skilled Dribbling system
○ Close control for more intricate, more subtle and faster movements
New nets:BOP::APPLAUD::WORSHIP:

Manager Mode in FIFA 09
• Disappointing
• Unrealistic results
• Authenticity issues
• Broken transfer market

Manager Mode in FIFA 10
• Match realism
○ Matches calculated on a minute to minute basis
○ Significant fidelity
○ Based on team strengths and weaknesses
○ Much more realistic results
• Authentic transfers
○ Based on prestige, experience, squad, manager experience/reputation
○ Competition from other clubs when signing players
○ Significant improvements in club AI
• Believable player growth
○ Player growth based on age, performance and amount of games played
• Surrounding football world realism
○ Importance of each fixture
○ AI has its own strategy depending on the opposition
○ Squad rotation by AI depending on importance of fixture

Oh I didn't see that. Hopefully it means multiple different kind of nets, because I actually likes the current ones. Aren't they pretty much like the one chelsea has? But I would love to see different nets in stadiums.

Back
Top Bottom