FIFA 10

wait i sec, did i get this right or they improved the GKS??
i mean, i reckon they were dumb in some ocasions, but they were also SUPER HUMAN on several other ocassions...for instance its almost impossible to score a long range low shot.. any idea if that is fixed ?
i read what suff posted about the shots, but he didnt mention anything about it beeing more realistic in this aspect, where goals can be scored from anywhere depending on the shoot and on the GK's positioning...this is my biggest gripe with the series..we need more goal variaty...

Isn't that more because it is pretty much impossible to hit a really hard low shot? Sometimes the keepers cheat though because you can see that they actually missed the ball but it still gets slapped back.

I think what they mean is that they make them quicker to get out and collect the ball, quicker to get back in position when been a long way out from the goal and so on. Because these stuff has been really bad in 09.

• Rules – offsides and advantages not quite right

i hope they fix the offside rule, where your player is off side, and your player auto locks on and gets drawn to the ball like a magnet and you then cancel the players run and run in the opposite direction, not even anywhere near the ball, and another one of your players who has made a run from an onside position is then given offside

hope they fix that

Isn't that more because it is pretty much impossible to hit a really hard low shot? Sometimes the keepers cheat though because you can see that they actually missed the ball but it still gets slapped back.

I think what they mean is that they make them quicker to get out and collect the ball, quicker to get back in position when been a long way out from the goal and so on. Because these stuff has been really bad in 09.

i really hope ure right, and with the tweaked shots we can finnally see a wide variety of goals like in PES...

and man, dont evan tell me about the GK's cheats...its the most annoying thing ever when u see that they missed the ball but they still deflect it..that MUST BE FIXED.

The team is also removing a lot of the interruptive animations, such as when you get booked by the referee. Along the same lines, and keeping the pace of the game going, you'll be able to take quick free kicks

:WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP::WORSHIP:

i hope they fix the offside rule, where your player is off side, and your player auto locks on and gets drawn to the ball like a magnet and you then cancel the players run and run in the opposite direction, not even anywhere near the ball, and another one of your players who has made a run from an onside position is then given offside

hope they fix that

Yeah and also there is an offside bug where the ball goes towards someone that is offside and isn't called because he didn't get the ball. Like this: The ball gets crosses to someone offside, he and a defender jumps up to head it and the defender wins the header. The ball ends up to a player in the same team as the offside player and offside isn't called. Boo.

I also like the part of having to time standing tackles or you will get punished. This is one of the things that made PES 5 the best PES for me and I love that they have picked up on it. I am expecting the same negative feedback on this as PES 5 got though from the community. Hopefully they ignore it and keep on making it realistic and not just completely remove it like they did with PES 6.

Last edited:
removing the generic cut scenes is amazing, something i hoped for.

goalkeeper, 360 dribble and the ability to dribble at any speed also sound like brilliant additions.

this is the game to beat by the sound of it, can not wait!

I wonder why things like cut scenes can't just be an option we can switch off or on from the menus.

I, myself, am ecstatic that they've been removed but for some it may be not so well received.

removing the generic cut scenes is amazing, something i hoped for.

goalkeeper, 360 dribble and the ability to dribble at any speed also sound like brilliant additions.

this is the game to beat by the sound of it, can not wait!

Agreed, they are pretty good features. Since I read about the 360 dribbling, I play FIFA 09 and you really notice the rails/directions that you move in and how restricted it really is!

seems like ea's goal is really to tear down the last barriers to a completely "free" feeling of football.
didn't except them to go into this direction but they are doing absolutely the right thing imo.
first goal of ANY football game must be a fluid 45 minutes of football with as few "black" or "loading" screens as possible...after that you can go into detailling everything with animated 4th ref, bench, security etc.

i want to see the keeper going after the ball after it went out, puting it in the right spot and do the kick off, as few breaks as possible. probably hard to do as the ai needs to sort out the line up and everything in the meantime but come on, IT IS POSSIBLE. :)

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm whether the dribbling is genuinely 'at any speed', or if we've read too much into a quote? The skill dribbling really needs to be fleshed out in terms of detail.

I'm bloody delighted with a lot of what I'm reading though. I made a thread in the official FIFA feedback forum called 'set the game free', and that seems to be exactly what they've done.

Not saying that it's all down to me of course! I meant that I like what they're doing.

Though I definitely helped.

Last edited:
Now that you’ve had time to digest all of our thoughts and feelings about our time with FIFA 10, here is a list of notes we took from EA’s presentations in London and Vancouver including what they’re working on, what they’re working towards and what complaints they’ve taken on-board.

Gameplay is the #1 priority
Begin the revamp of Manager Mode

In FIFA 09 the overall experience was strong, but still featuring some frustrations.
The aim is 30% innovation, 70% refinement.

Fourth year with this engine
• Cutting edge
• Detail driven
• Critical areas improved
• Becoming hard to improve further

Refining fundamentals

• Urgency
○ New urgency AI Logic, understands threat
○ New face-ball logic, so players look at ball and positioning
○ Space threat – players will watch the runs of the opponent as well as any dangers such as gaps in defence

• Trapping
○ More realistic, less like magical touch
○ Removed impossible trap animations
○ Improved trapping intelligence, how players react and respond

• Positioning of players
○ Improved defensive awareness – postion priority logic balance on player attributes
○ Improved balance – players swap positions and cover for each other
○ Improved attacking mentality of AI players – no more useless straight line runs

• Passing
○ Halved the time that the ball is in motion when passing
○ Physics tweaked to improve feeling and fluidity
○ Better space and threat analysis

• Shooting
○ Floatiness reduced
○ Improved and fine tuned parameters of shooting (including Reynard and Magnus effects)
○ Various set of parameters included this year depending on kick type

• Defending
○ Improved slide tackling, including balance, momentum and reach
○ Timing becomes critical - longer to touch, easier to avoid
○ Clearance logic, with more effort driven clearances
○ Urgency and awareness, so that if a player’s out of position then someone will cover

• Goalkeeping
○ More aggressive
○ More intelligent
○ More urgent
○ More responsive with more rushes and punches under pressure

Response to feedback
• 280 million games played online
• Lots of useful feedback

Frustrations
• Balance of teams and tactics
• Lofted through balls constantly sparking attacks
• Goalkeepers, exploits and behaviour
• Movement – run animations
• Shooting – ball physics and too many shots hitting the post

Requests
• Practice arena improvements
• Manager Mode improvements
• Continuous play including quick free-kicks

Removed scripted sequences
• Carding was too predictable in the past
• Warnings (must stay focused on the screen to see all outcomes)
• Quick free-kicks added

Innovations

Change the way the game is played
• 360° Dribbling - first sports game to include 360° dribbling
○ Now you have the ability to spot gaps and run through them
○ You can modify the direction of running subtly
○ You can quickly place the ball on the preferred foot
• Skilled Dribbling system
○ Close control for more intricate, more subtle and faster movements
New nets:BOP::APPLAUD::WORSHIP:

Manager Mode in FIFA 09
• Disappointing
• Unrealistic results
• Authenticity issues
• Broken transfer market

Manager Mode in FIFA 10
• Match realism
○ Matches calculated on a minute to minute basis
○ Significant fidelity
○ Based on team strengths and weaknesses
○ Much more realistic results
• Authentic transfers
○ Based on prestige, experience, squad, manager experience/reputation
○ Competition from other clubs when signing players
○ Significant improvements in club AI
• Believable player growth
○ Player growth based on age, performance and amount of games played
• Surrounding football world realism
○ Importance of each fixture
○ AI has its own strategy depending on the opposition
○ Squad rotation by AI depending on importance of fixture

thanks for info and waiting for some video from E3

Guys what about AI 1vs1 GK ? still CPU can't shoot goal ? . 1vs1 in 09 maybe 1/6 is goal - its unrealistic when we playing against example Chelsea or other 5 stars teams.

Last edited:
seems like ea's goal is really to tear down the last barriers to a completely "free" feeling of football.
didn't except them to go into this direction but they are doing absolutely the right thing imo.
first goal of ANY football game must be a fluid 45 minutes of football with as few "black" or "loading" screens as possible...after that you can go into detailling everything with animated 4th ref, bench, security etc.

i want to see the keeper going after the ball after it went out, puting it in the right spot and do the kick off, as few breaks as possible. probably hard to do as the ai needs to sort out the line up and everything in the meantime but come on, IT IS POSSIBLE. :)

yea i mentioned this before on how it will be great where nothing magicaly reappares during the game.

for example, when the ball goes out of play, i want the nearest player to get the ball from outside the pitch or to see the fans throw the ball back into the player to take the throw in

Agreed, they are pretty good features. Since I read about the 360 dribbling, I play FIFA 09 and you really notice the rails/directions that you move in and how restricted it really is!

Agree. You can't move exactly where you want to now. With 360 movement you'd be able to. It should totally change the way we play.

1) Please make low hard shots possible
2) Please eliminate the super late whistles from the refs (offside)
3) Please implement fouls against you. Currently, the computer never ever fouls, no matter how horrible the challenge
4) Please ADD TROHY CELEBRATIONS! For a game and company that boasts about presentation, why isn't there a trophy presentation? It's like graduating from college but being denied a diploma!
5) Please eliminate cpu players from running diagonally witht he ball all the way to the touchlines for no apparent reasons.
etc, etc
6) Improved crowd/atmosphere (visually)
7) Add a practice mode where you can practice as a team (set pieces, corners,slalom dribbling etc. like PES had. )
8)

Last edited:
Sounds great :)

A good Manager Mode with intelligent teammate and opponent AI with 360° dribbling and manual passing should be fantastic :D.

If they're right about passing/defending being more difficult, then online Clubs mode will be so much better because knobheads wouldn't be able to just sprint at you all game when you have the ball and assisted pass it round you without having to think. Assisted shooting should also be much less accurate, maybe even having every shot go right down the middle, forcing people to use at least semu to have any chance of putting it in the corners.

They also need to sort out how stamina/energy affects players, I think if players sprint too much and their stamina depletes then they should get cramp and have to go off the pitch for treatment or just hobble round being useless. People would have to have a more considered approach to defending and attacking if simply sprinting everywhere for the whole 90 minutes wasn't possible.

The shooting/keepers are the most important things for me and I really hope that they are realistic. Those two things really detract a lot from the enjoyment of FIFA 09 and have been shit in all FIFA games, i'll need to see it being played to see if they are actually right this time.
When we got previews like this last year then shooting/keepers were said to be vastly improved and realistic, but although they were much better than in FIFA 08 they were far from realistic.

The list quoted by Dr Force is from our site, the title of the article is "FIFA 10 Next-Gen Notes" - so it was only mentioned in the next-gen presentations. Doesn't mean nothing will be done to the PC nets but they didn't mention it specifically (for what they did mention CLICK HERE).

Agree. You can't move exactly where you want to now. With 360 movement you'd be able to. It should totally change the way we play.

1) Please make low hard shots possible
2) Please eliminate the super late whistles from the refs (offside)
3) Please implement fouls against you. Currently, the computer never ever fouls, no matter how horrible the challenge
4) Please ADD TROHY CELEBRATIONS! For a game and company that boasts about presentation, why isn't there a trophy presentation? It's like graduating from college but being denied a diploma!
5) Please eliminate cpu players from running diagonally witht he ball all the way to the touchlines for no apparent reasons.
etc, etc
6) Improved crowd/atmosphere (visually)
7) Add a practice mode where you can practice as a team (set pieces, corners,slalom dribbling etc. like PES had. )
8)
DAMN RIGHT THEY NEED TO FIX THAT! Hate being presented with a cutscene of the whole team squating in front of the trophy you just won, like they're chanting and worshipping it or something

The list quoted by Dr Force is from our site, the title of the article is "FIFA 10 Next-Gen Notes" - so it was only mentioned in the next-gen presentations. Doesn't mean nothing will be done to the PC nets but they didn't mention it specifically (for what they did mention CLICK HERE).

Yeah, sorry Chris, I should have mentioned that I had copied and pasted just so folk did not have to keep flying off to the other site.

I think it'd be nice for throwins etc to be seamless, but I don't think that (or free kick refreshes for that matter) are nearly as intrusive as the cutscenes. They have to go; refreshes don't lose you seconds in the way a cutscene of a keeper lining up his wall does. I've conceded possession a few times skipping cutscenes by hammering buttons, only to suddenly play a short pass to the opposition.

Recording within the next two hours, so before midnight is all I can say really. Which isn't very informative. :BORED:

Back
Top Bottom