FIFA 08 (Last Gen-Including PC)

Fifa has evolved a lot since the first one I played, Fifa 96.
PES2 (first PES I played) still has the same feel as PES6.
Konami have been lazy, but I suppose taking the risk on a totally new engine could result in a bad game and less sales. That's what Konami and EA are there for, to make money for themselves.

EA have done more overall, like the leap from Fifa 99 to 2000 to make it more of an arcade game was a bad one imo. 2001 to 2002 was a good idea but done badly (loads of bugs). 2003 is the best Fifa yet imo, I was so addicted on it. 2004 was a poor excuse of a game and since then it has been small tweaks and new features really (for current gen anyway).

I have watched gameplay videos of Fifa 08 on PS3 and it seems a decent simulation of football, I don't think I have seen the manual passing in action yet (sounds great feature) but again, the shots I have seen seem to have the same sort of flight of the ball, which I don't like and is unrealistic. Shooting is the make of break part for me really.
Unrealistic shooting = unrealistic goals = getting pissed off with those goals = stop playing...
The demo of UCL 06-07 on Xbox360 was in GameStation last time I went and I tried it against a mate and after one half we were just like "This is crap, feels almost the same as Fifa 07 on PS2".
Anyway, he picked up PES3 on PS2 for £1, he has enjoyed it quite a bit, the school holidays can't half get boring... :p.

P.S. - Wrong place to be asking, but is there any tips on shooting for PES3 (its either difficult or crap) and any MAX Drive option files?

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus PES2 isnt much like PES6 either! I went back to PES2 the other day and couldnt believe how stiffer it felt!

PES3 doesn't play anything at all like PES2

and it doesn't even have to be that far back. PES6 doesn't play much like PES5 (it's actually a lot worse IMO), and PES5 doesn't play anything like PES4 (the passing, shooting, crossing etc in PES5 are so sharp and quick compared to the weakness of PES4).

It plays slightly like it, you can tell it is made by the same people by the gameplay whereas Fifa 2002 and Fifa 07 look and play like a totally different games. I didn't mean that they are very similar.

PES6 is PES5 with some tweaks, PES5 is PES4 with some tweaks, PES4 is PES3 with some tweaks. PES3 is quite a bit different from PES2 but it still acts like PES2 in parts.

UCL on 360 does play a lot like Fifa 07 on PS2 I think. It just has better graphics. The shooting system is very similar and just as bad. I played the demo of it and I have played a lot of football games and watch a hell of a lot of football so I think that my opinion is quite accurate.

P.S. - Why the hell is Evo-Web full of Fifa fanboys?

The shooting system in the current-gen/next-gen FIFAs is totally different, coming from someone with a lot of experience of both games. In current-gen I find it pot-luck (and it's even worse in the FIFA 08 current-gen demo), in next-gen you adapt to the aiming system after a couple of games and you can pinpoint exactly where you want to put the ball. The games are miles apart - I just wish that they would develop one and one only, so that twice the development went into one yearly release (and the same goes for Konami - we're well and truly into next-gen territory now, come on guys, stop supporting the old consoles and concentrate on PC, 360 and PS3).

UCL on 360 does play a lot like Fifa 07 on PS2 I think. It just has better graphics. The shooting system is very similar and just as bad. I played the demo of it and I have played a lot of football games and watch a hell of a lot of football so I think that my opinion is quite accurate.

I've played 100s of hours with Fifa07 PS2 and 100s of hours with UCL 360, so I know that your opinion is not accurate :)

P.S. - Why the hell is Evo-Web full of Fifa fanboys?

Don't be such a lamer dear. We're football fanboys, to some of us this year Fifa is (on paper) the more attractive package, it's the game that is getting us more excited than PES, deal with it, oh and by the way, you're in a Fifa thread ;)

That is the worst thing i have ever heard

Btw i think Moto GP plays a bit like Rainbow 6 but is a bit faster

In desperation waiting for the 360 demo, I've bought a control pad for my crappy pc today - anyone have the expander for me to download as the original link no longer works?

Thanks guys.

As a stop gap until the 360 demo comes out, this is a pretty useful and addictive game.

The passing is great, commentary excellent (except for the odd time when Tyler gives credit to the keeper for saves when it's been a wide shot that he hasn't touched).

Don't seem able to pull off many tricks other than dragging the ball from one side to the other to then accelerate away from defenders.

I'm playing on "dumb-ass" novice level btw.

Had a great game last night as Barca against NY and won 7-4 (It was a never ending game).

just played 4 games with the demo.
Its a little better than 07 but I am surly not buying it, its really just a small improvment. First I'm buying PES which is awsome this year and maybe I'll buy FIFA later. My review:

You can play FIFA its not bad but if you want realistic football three words: Pro Evolutilon Soccer

just played 4 games with the demo.
Its a little better than 07 but I am surly not buying it, its really just a small improvment. First I'm buying PES which is awsome this year and maybe I'll buy FIFA later. My review:

You can play FIFA its not bad but if you want realistic football three words: Pro Evolutilon Soccer

although EA never intended for anyone to start comparing this (last gen) to the Current gen games (360, PS3)

Give the 360 version a go before making claims about PES.

sure I am just saying the PC version is just a bit better than last year and its on the second place on my buying list. but I like FIFA I really do, it aint bad

I'm sorry for all those people who thought that game was good but im sorry imo that demo was pretty poor the graphics were pretty poor and the gameplay wasn't much of improvement so as a whole i didn't like that demo really but thats probably not the final game so i will reserve judgement for that so im not really impressed.:(

Erm, is it just me or are the graphics on the FIFA 08 Demo for PC really poor, I mean seriously this is 2007 and by the looks of PES2008 its gonna trounce FIFA 08 in the graphics department, havent played PES2008 so I cant say on gameplay, but from what I have played of the FIFA 08 Demo, it seems a lot like FIFA 07...

Well, just like Placebo said, the PC version of FIFA 08 uses the same engine of FIFA 07 (current-gen), so it can't get much better than last year's game. That's why it doesn't look that good graphically and in terms of gameplay the game hasn't improved much either.

On the other hand, the PC version of PES 2008 is truly next-gen (as good as the PS3 and Xbox360 versions), so it's clear that graphically the game will beat FIFA this year.

No come on seriously, are you really trying to say that PC's arent capable for the engine, I seriously think thats complete lies...

It's just because they cant be bothered to try and optimise it for PC...

System Requirements:

Processor: 1.3 Ghz (Windows Vista: 1.5 Ghz)
RAM: 256 MB (Windows Vista: 512 MB)
Video card: 64 MB RAM
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
DVD-ROM: 8x
Hard drive: 3.92GB
DirectX: 9.0c

For anyone wondering why EA won't optimize the 360 version for PC's.

Answer: time and money.

They release 2 games a year/platform.

Crisis has been in the making for years now and is PC only. This comparison is not valid.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the PC version of FIFA even If I didn't have an Xbox..

But you guys enjoy it :)

Back
Top Bottom