English Premier League thread

Ballack is not half the player he was at Bayern. He is doing well, but that shows how amazing he was in Germany.

but thats because he was the centerpiece of there attack, now its ribery, look how amazing he is doing... at the end of the day its a team game(especially the chelski midfield), chelsea is in a position to take the title and ballack has been a big reason for that... however the only chelsea player i would really want is essien, he has to be considered the best all around utility player in the world, he was playing right back against the arsenal wasnt he? and he can shoot he can pass, he can run all day, he is a legend, love that guy

but thats because he was the centerpiece of there attack, now its ribery, look how amazing he is doing... at the end of the day its a team game(especially the chelski midfield), chelsea is in a position to take the title and ballack has been a big reason for that... however the only chelsea player i would really want is essien, he has to be considered the best all around utility player in the world, he was playing right back against the arsenal wasnt he? and he can shoot he can pass, he can run all day, he is a legend, love that guy

Would agree, Essien is absolutely world class!

Ballack was not half the player he is at Chelsea. He wasn't doing well, but that shows how amazing he is in England.
;)

In my opinion he "only" was there for scoring late goals during his time at Bayern. His best time in Germany was at Leverkusen. But now he seems to be back.

essien is indeed a great player one of chelsea best players ballack is good but as some one already stated he is not as good as he was at bayern

This is going to sound awful but I'm honest if nothing else. I'm just interested to see if I'm alone in thinking this. (The spoiler below has a match result/discussion from one of today's games, if you're going to watch Match Of The Day tonight don't click it!)

I'm a Setanta Sports subscriber, it's £10 a month but I don't mind paying because I want to watch live football but I can't afford Sky HD. Today, for just under two hours, I've watched Manchester United destroy Aston Villa. It wasn't a contest.

Anyway, it made me think of something Ian Holloway (Plymouth manager) said a couple of weeks ago. His team played a team who were either top or close-enough of the league, and they managed to win. He said afterwards, "this is why this league is so exciting; a team from the bottom of the league can beat a team from the top, when you see Manchester United v Derby County on the fixture list you know what the result is going to be".

I found myself watching the match today and looking out of the window more often than I was looking at the screen, walking out of the room to make drinks and text-messaging - now I realise it must be great for fans of Manchester United, but for your neutral - well, for this neutral - it was time wasted. Yes the goals were great, Ronaldo is a superstar and his cross for the second goal impressed me more than the unbelievable little flicked first goal. It was so perfectly weighted it was like he was controlling gravity with his mind. But the gap between the top clubs and the rest is getting bigger and bigger each year. What good is it doing clubs like Derby and Sunderland playing against teams like Man Utd and getting hammered? Do the fans of Derby and Sunderland want that (serious question, I'd be interested to hear from them)? You can joke and chant you're the best team the world has ever seen but you know in your heart of hearts that the result is a formality.

The gap, at least the financial gap, isn't going to be rectified any time soon. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. But what is the point in a 20-team Premier League when it's only the top ten who stand a chance of beating the top three?

This is taking nothing away from Manchester United, don't get me wrong. I will admit that I hate Ronaldo's guts, I'll never forget that wink, but nobody can deny that he is unbelievably gifted. My dad sat and watched the match this evening and said afterwards, "I can't believe it, but he's better than George Best" - which is not something you expect to hear from someone who can't go one game without saying "this is nothing compared to what it was like when Stanley Matthews and Bobby Charlton were playing".

There's no denying how good they are - but at the end of the day, if you're that good, I genuinely don't think there is any point in playing against half of the teams in the Premier League as it stands. Of course if that was coming from a Manchester United fan, you'd think "you cocky bastard", but like I say, as a neutral, I just can't think of anything more boring. I'd rather watch Derby v Sunderland, at least then the game will keep you guessing until the end. Even if the skill isn't there.

It's like playing FIFA/PES on a lower difficulty setting and winning 2-0 every week. Once you get to that point, it gets boring doesn't it? And if you ever play it so much that you can beat any team on any difficulty setting, you don't play the game much any more do you? I feel like this as a football fan at the minute - you know the results so what's the point in putting the disc in... I mean, putting the TV on.

Just wanted to rant more than anything, you can all ignore this if you want, I'm sure it's all rubbish but at least I got it out of my system. ;)

Last edited:
This is going to sound awful but I'm honest if nothing else. I'm just interested to see if I'm alone in thinking this. (The spoiler below has a match result/discussion from one of today's games, if you're going to watch Match Of The Day tonight don't click it!)

I'm a Setanta Sports subscriber, it's £10 a month but I don't mind paying because I want to watch live football but I can't afford Sky HD. Today, for just under two hours, I've watched Manchester United destroy Aston Villa. It wasn't a contest.

Anyway, it made me think of something Ian Holloway (Plymouth manager) said a couple of weeks ago. His team played a team who were either top or close-enough of the league, and they managed to win. He said afterwards, "this is why this league is so exciting; a team from the bottom of the league can beat a team from the top, when you see Manchester United v Derby County on the fixture list you know what the result is going to be".

I found myself watching the match today and looking out of the window more often than I was looking at the screen, walking out of the room to make drinks and text-messaging - now I realise it must be great for fans of Manchester United, but for your neutral - well, for this neutral - it was time wasted. Yes the goals were great, Ronaldo is a superstar and his cross for the second goal impressed me more than the unbelievable little flicked first goal. It was so perfectly weighted it was like he was controlling gravity with his mind. But the gap between the top clubs and the rest is getting bigger and bigger each year. What good is it doing clubs like Derby and Sunderland playing against teams like Man Utd and getting hammered? Do the fans of Derby and Sunderland want that (serious question, I'd be interested to hear from them)? You can joke and chant you're the best team the world has ever seen but you know in your heart of hearts that the result is a formality.

The gap, at least the financial gap, isn't going to be rectified any time soon. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. But what is the point in a 20-team Premier League when it's only the top ten who stand a chance of beating the top three?

This is taking nothing away from Manchester United, don't get me wrong. I will admit that I hate Ronaldo's guts, I'll never forget that wink, but nobody can deny that he is unbelievably gifted. My dad sat and watched the match this evening and said afterwards, "I can't believe it, but he's better than George Best" - which is not something you expect to hear from someone who can't go one game without saying "this is nothing compared to what it was like when Stanley Matthews and Bobby Charlton were playing".

There's no denying how good they are - but at the end of the day, if you're that good, I genuinely don't think there is any point in playing against half of the teams in the Premier League as it stands. Of course if that was coming from a Manchester United fan, you'd think "you cocky bastard", but like I say, as a neutral, I just can't think of anything more boring. I'd rather watch Derby v Sunderland, at least then the game will keep you guessing until the end. Even if the skill isn't there.

It's like playing FIFA/PES on a lower difficulty setting and winning 2-0 every week. Once you get to that point, it gets boring doesn't it? And if you ever play it so much that you can beat any team on any difficulty setting, you don't play the game much any more do you? I feel like this as a football fan at the minute - you know the results so what's the point in putting the disc in... I mean, putting the TV on.

Just wanted to rant more than anything, you can all ignore this if you want, I'm sure it's all rubbish but at least I got it out of my system. ;)

I personally disagree JB, i think we've already seen a lot of upsets this season already just look at the FA Cup only one premiership team remaining which tells its own story Arsenal before today's AMAZING comeback they hadn't won in their last 5 and i remember correctly some of those were some lower teams down the table so i still think its competitive. Ok i can understand we had a great result today but i dunno how often you watch us but everything clicked today and that can be the result when that happens but we've also lost the Manchester derby home and away this season and the home game we were clearly out played and not at the race's so for me its still a great league with teams still developing to try to break the monopoly such as Everton,Spurs and Man City also so for me its still competitive but what do i know i support a team 6 points clear at the top and set for our 10th premiership title :)

JB is right there. IMO, Spain and Italy's mid and lower table clubs are far superior to mid table clubs here. And most of all those clubs actually try to play football, and attack the teams. I mean which mid table teams here could boast of an attack Arango, Ibagaza and Guize, or Di Natale and Quagliarella.

Look at La Liga (which is the best league in the world IMO). Betis were 2-0 down to Barcelona. In the EPL, if a team was 2-0 down to one of the big guns, they'd just concede the game. Not here though, Betis fought back and won 3-2, after missing a penalty! And Villarreal, are now second, 3 behind Real Madrid, who face Sevilla tomorrow. I mean every season, who have at least one of the mid table sides, fighting for 2nd or 3rd place, or even the title. Betis, Osasuna, Sevilla and Villarreal this year.

It will improve though, especially next season, due to investments in smaller clubs here. I will expect Tottenham, Newcastle and Manchester City to spend heavily and bring in quality players. Aston Villa, West Ham, Blackburn and Everton will also strengthen their squads, so you could expect a more competitive league next season.

Last edited:
Man Utd were awesome against Villa...the first goal was pure genius of Ronaldo (that hurts, the arrogant litle twat...bweeurk).
Jb is right...there are occasional upsets, but leagues are won with consistency and there are only 3 teams that have enough abundance of quality to win the lague: Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal...
Every ear at the beginning of the season you know that one of these 3 will be champions (i'm not forgetting Liverpool) and that the team that won the championships play-offs will relegate...these play-offs are useless...why not let the 3rd go up...the winner of the play-offs looses 3weeks in the off-season transfer period and most players know that they will fight an hopeless battle...this team qtarts with a huge handicap...

You'd have to agree with Gerd though, we don't look like challenging yet. However, I do laugh when people say things like "Why do we call it the big four when Liverpool are so far behind"

Erm maybe because we've finished Third two seasons in a row and looked like the only English team likely of winning a European trophy of any description in the last Eight years?, or how about the second largest fanbase in the country, or how about a gigantic worldwide fanbase that dwarfs Chelsea and Arsenals? Or how about being the most successful English team ever. (Thar ya go!)

Just....Maybe

Last edited:
You'd have to agree with Gerd though, we don't look like challenging yet. However, I do laugh when people say things like "Why do we call it the big four when Liverpool are so far behind"

Erm maybe because we've finished Third two seasons in a row and looked like the only English team likely of winning a European trophy of any description in the last ten years?

Just....Maybe

We got to the final the other year :DD

But I know what you mean.

:LOL: Damn just noticed it, I agree im glad were not involved as it gives everyone a wakeup call of just how BAD are national team is. hopefully in 2-3 years we'll be a good side maybe the World Cup will be to soon but Euro 2012 is our year:DD

One good thing to come out of this season is the likelyhood of Bolton getting relegated.

Shit northern monkey club, shit fans, shit football, play music after goals, wave floppy sponge hands, wanker of a chairman, boring away game in the middle of a shopping park, Diouf...

Good fucking riddance:-x:salute:

I should have known it Steevio...i like Bolton and i like Diouf (although i did not like his spitting, but that a while ago now isn't it???).

They were overachievers for quite a long time...

PS: the club who buys Wilhelmsson next summer will relegate: last year it was Nantes in France and this year it could be Bolton Wanderers...when they relgated Wilhelmsson is a long time gone without making any impact...last year he played for AS Roma and this year for Deportivo La Coruna...

Bolton are just a mickey mouse football club.

Any team that has music playing after goals should have their 2-bit stadium burned down and their inbred fans shot.

Just a general feeling, like...

I agree Stevio, not with the sort of anger you obviously feel against them, but yes, they are boring and they have some truly mediocre players. Fans not much better.

but yes, they are boring

With all due respect Peter, but...
This coming from a Liverpool fan...the most boring team of the last decade...you have 3 players who aren't mediocre: Torres, Mascherano and Xabi Alonso...considering Bolton's annual budget, i think they are exciting compared to Liverpool...

With all due respect Peter, but...
This coming from a Liverpool fan...the most boring team of the last decade...you have 3 players who aren't mediocre: Torres, Mascherano and Xabi Alonso...considering Bolton's annual budget, i think they are exciting compared to Liverpool...

Hmm, no offense, but this post clearly indicates your hatred (if you can call it) of bigger clubs (and there are several clubs bigger than Liverpool financially).

You obviously haven't watched us play this season, if you think we are boring. Yes we were boring against Chelsea last season, against Barcelona perhaps at Nou Camp, but that was because we had inferior players, so we could not outplay those teams, but outsmart them.

Funny you should include Alonso in that 'not mediocre' list, but not Gerrard (who you don't like either I am guessing?). Also you forget Hyypia-Carragher, who were one of the best CB partnerships in Europe a couple of years back. And obviously, Reina and Agger are 'mediocre' too. I bet you think Lucas and Babel are shite as well?

It's just a stereotype used against Rafa that he's a defensive coach (though I admit watching us under Ged must have been painful). 100 goals in around 48 games ain't bad, is it. We also have scored the most goals in the CL this season. Pretty decent for a boring, defensive team? And not to mention Rafa's Valencia 'machine' who could pull off the most breathtaking counter attacking and give-and-go moves on occassions, and had 2 of the best attacking flair players of it's time (Aimar and Vicente).

Boring indeed :tumble:

Back
Top Bottom