eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Do you have any information about Dynamic Lightning System in Pes 2020? Cause it appeared d in Pes 2019 and I hope it will be improved in this year's game edition.
LOL. They went from goalposts casting no shadow at all in direct sunlight (PES 2014 to 2017 for PC, I won't forget) to promising dynamic lighting. A thing that they promised for PES 2019 (and which didn't work) and that they're promising now.
Honestly, it could be a good addition visually but it's hardly at the top of my list.
I'm just happy that they remembered to add the shadows of the goalposts from PES 2018 onwards.

seen enough videos now, im old skool and only love playing ML thats it, if theres any chance of me buying this game i dont wanna see the AI playing one touch passing all the time and i want to see superstars acting like superstars by taking me on, people are saying that its in this years game, will wait and see if its in the final copy if those areas arent fixed il be happy to wait another year without football cos in the year 2019 those areas should be fixed by now they had 15 yrs to fix it.

I played PES 2019 all day today. Like 20+ games.
Such a horrible game for me. Monotonous. Repetitive.
And... oh yeah, I definitely HATE the dribbling mechanics. Wholeheartedly.
It can’t be that monotonous if you played it all day! :D

There are people here saying there’s delay when trying to dribble? - I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. I’m convinced people just want it to be easier.

Same here. Anyways, Konami should release PES every two years, this time for sure I will skip it, not much to see there and ML with cutscenes like FIFA is not why I play a football game. 100% sure Inca will need to fix 2020 as well :LMAO:

would be good if all the modders and patchers just proactively decided NOT to optimise PES for one year.

might get konami to pull their finger out.

Is the right stick basically going to mimic what was assigned to the R2 button in '19?

The game looks more fluid but everything else was pretty much expected, we won't get a proper evolution until next gen.

Kit templates are a great addition, hopefully they'll increase the amount you can add so you can license as many leagues as required.

All this talk about dribbling, fair enough, I guess, but how often do you see someone pull a Marseille move in real football? And even Messi doesn't skin 5 defenders in every game. Sometimes (like in the away leg against Liverpool) he doesn't do jack shit at all, simply because he is human and has his ups and downs.

Personally, I'd rather have them focus on the more fundamental things like the passing of the AI, which is so painfully robotic and "perfect", we've pointed it out many times. Headers are another aspect I'd like them to fix. I can't remember when last I conceded an AI-goal from a header and for humans it has become so difficult and unrewarding I am not even trying anymore. On corners I've switched to short corner tactics because regular corners will be cleared anyway by whichever team you play against, even by one with midget CBs. Goalies: another thing. They are incompetent in many situations but in others, they pull ninja moves which feel impossible, both physically and contextually. On penalties they jump farther than the goal post, for crying out loud. Shots from outside the box: how many have you scored in hundreds of games? Stamina system, fouls, refs, proper advantage rule, Most of all: different playing styles per team based on context (Huddersfield will not play 4-3-3 when they are away at Etihad sitting on 18th)... these and more would be higher up on my fix list.

All this talk about dribbling, fair enough, I guess, but how often do you see someone pull a Marseille move in real football? And even Messi doesn't skin 5 defenders in every game. Sometimes (like in the away leg against Liverpool) he doesn't do jack shit at all, simply because he is human and has his ups and downs.
This is exactly what I mean. Like we mentioned earlier, 1 man has gone past Virgil can Dijk in over 60 games - dribbling is not easy.

I still think the idea that it doesn't 'flow' anymore simply boils down to the fact that it isn't as easy now. Because it isn't. There's a lot more to learn, but it's so incredibly rewarding once you know what you're doing.

I find it baffling that people really want more human errors in the passing, but for some reason don't think dribbling should be equally as difficult to master?

Totally agree on the corner comment. I swear, against AI, if it's not absolutely pinpoint accuracy where it dips just after the first man you have absolutely zero chance of scoring.

It can’t be that monotonous if you played it all day! :D

There are people here saying there’s delay when trying to dribble? - I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. I’m convinced people just want it to be easier.

Yeah I don't know what that's about... I have no real problems with the dribbling, or even what some call "delay" which I just find to be a normal response time, you can't expect a player to pass or shoot instantly every time you press the button, it would look unrealistic, looks bad enough when the AI does it all the time, just slow down their response times and we would be better off.

Do you think the patches for Pes full version make actual changes to the f2p Myclub version of Pes? I tried to play Pes 2019 f2p exhibition mode (not the VS CPU games in Myclub, the actual exhibition mode with limited team, only two difficulties, 5 minutes match) and i see the same disgusting AI of the demo, with teams like Flamengo playing like Barcelona on top form, with so many perfect passing, backheels,perfect long passes and the constant low cross spam that makes my defenders go in dumb mode, they simply don't know how to react to low crosses.

I read that the last few patches fixed this. So my question is: is it true that the last patches fixed it or are patches not affecting Pes 2019 f2p version?

Every time there is a patch for Pes 2019 i see Pes 2019 f2p receives one too. I really don't know.

Last edited:

Personally, I'd rather have them focus on the more fundamental things like the passing of the AI, which is so painfully robotic and "perfect", we've pointed it out many times. Headers are another aspect I'd like them to fix. I can't remember when last I conceded an AI-goal from a header and for humans it has become so difficult and unrewarding I am not even trying anymore. On corners I've switched to short corner tactics because regular corners will be cleared anyway by whichever team you play against, even by one with midget CBs. Goalies: another thing. They are incompetent in many situations but in others, they pull ninja moves which feel impossible, both physically and contextually. On penalties they jump farther than the goal post, for crying out loud. Shots from outside the box: how many have you scored in hundreds of games? Stamina system, fouls, refs, proper advantage rule, Most of all: different playing styles per team based on context (Huddersfield will not play 4-3-3 when they are away at Etihad sitting on 18th)... these and more would be higher up on my fix list.
lol u made me laugh

This is exactly what I mean. Like we mentioned earlier, 1 man has gone past Virgil can Dijk in over 60 games - dribbling is not easy.

I still think the idea that it doesn't 'flow' anymore simply boils down to the fact that it isn't as easy now. Because it isn't. There's a lot more to learn, but it's so incredibly rewarding once you know what you're doing.

I find it baffling that people really want more human errors in the passing, but for some reason don't think dribbling should be equally as difficult to master?

Totally agree on the corner comment. I swear, against AI, if it's not absolutely pinpoint accuracy where it dips just after the first man you have absolutely zero chance of scoring.
the passing of the AI is a major issue

I have decent hope for 2020, we forget now but when 19 was coming there was real optimism afoot, game seemed to play really well and the AI wasn't stringing together 4 heel passes in a row several times per match. There was also the odd foul, which was nice. The problem was the release of course, where the straight up deceit of the demo came out, its 5 minute length obviously used to hide the one sided attacking AI that only had one recipe for making a goal and became tedious within the very first match. Manual headers where totally borked and although they were later fixed, they became borked again in a later patch, for some or no reason. The team also managed to tone down the AI same goal spamming a tinsy bit and I even saw the odd AI goal from outside the box... actually that might have just happened once. At the same time, it was obviously fixed with scotch tape as you could almost visually see the now conflicted behavior of the AI, so used to making weird runs to the flanks when clear on goal, because how was it going to even score if not with a tap in from a low cross? To be clear on goal and actually try to run towards it? Surely inconceivable?
If by some accident they managed to code some variety into the attacking AI, I think this could be really good.

I find the dribbling to be quite player specific as well, running with Salah is a joy, Mané is great as well but still quite different. Only sad that they haven't been able to make the AI utilize those attributes so these players just act like any other player on the pitch and it's pass, pass, pass.

What if they made dribbling easier?
Like a response time super quick,it would
1 be unrealistic (think it's fine as is now)
2 people playing online,imagine the nightmare there.

The only time I feel it being laggy or unresponsive is when shooting in crowded situation,but then you'll need to shoot a bit differently (double tap)
I think it's pretty much ok as is
And playing the game on -1/-2 should also be taken in consideration when talking about lag.
Personal thought.

What if they made dribbling easier?
Like a response time super quick,it would
1 be unrealistic (think it's fine as is now)
2 people playing online,imagine the nightmare there.
I remember jumping ship from PES to Fifa in 2010 mainly because the skills were just so, so much fun. There was absolutely nothing realistic about them - a roulette spin sent you forwards about 15 feet straight past every player, and you accelerated faster from a standing start by doing the heel trick than without the ball! it was stupid. But as I said, it was great fun!

So people need to decide what they want, because there's soooooo much talk of 'realism' on here, but if you simplify skills then they aren't realistic at all. There's a damn good reason why there are so few players who are truly good at it.

I'm not saying PES can't improve them, because they certainly can. Personally, my main problem is that it can be difficult to do the exact skill you want to do as there are so many of them, and some with near identical inputs. It also seems like some of the least effective tricks have the most complicated controller inputs, which makes them near completely useless in a real situation. I think they should have a rethink on what actions need to be done to pull off each skill.

@OBH agree with what your saying,also think a big problem is animation and those blocking certain things.
I personally think the response and dribbling for me at 0 game speed PA0 and Reg difficulty is just fine
Speed up response to much and it's going to be a ping pong and dribble fest.
May sound snobbish etc,but dribbling shouldn't be easy either,if it is,people and CPU will spam that feature way to much

@OBH agree with what your saying,also think a big problem is animation and those blocking certain things.
I personally think the response and dribbling for me at 0 game speed PA0 and Reg difficulty is just fine
Speed up response to much and it's going to be a ping pong and dribble fest.
May sound snobbish etc,but dribbling shouldn't be easy either,if it is,people and CPU will spam that feature way to much

The point is not making dribbling more easier, it's about doing defensive mechanics more difficult.
The window of oportunity to win the ball when you tackle is extremly huge.
It lets you defend running towards the attacker, making hard press easily.

I want to see the day when Messi faces you, you are afraid of him.

The balance has to be at some point that makes you have to contain rivals more than go to press them.

Look at the video, defenders try to slowdown his run, closing his spaces, helped by one or more teammates:

The point is not making dribbling more easier, it's about doing defensive mechanics more difficult.

The balance has to be at some point that makes you have to contain rivals more than go to press them.

Look at the video, defenders try to slowdown his run, closing his spaces, helped by one or more teammates:
You do make a very, very good point about the defending. Half the issue is definitely not that dribbling is so difficult, but that defending is far easier in comparison.

However, how would you change the way defending works? Fifa have tried it with their 'tactical defending' and my god, I HATE it. The game often chooses the completely wrong animation to tackle the ball, and defenders will not attempt anything on their own, so they've gone from totally automatic defending, to embarrassingly bad.

Having said that, there is definitely a massive difference between a human player putting pressure on you and the AI. A human who simply holds one button is extremely easy to get past using skills. Superstar AI is infinitely better at timing when to put pressure on you so it gives the illusion that they're locking onto the attacker.

One thing I'd love to see added - you know how you can double tap to make a challenge? I'd like it if when you make AI pressure the ball you could double tap to make them make a challenge. This way a player can't completely rely on the AI to win the ball for them.

Didn't see this posted yet. Bit of Arsenal footage, and France. Makes a change.

I've been quietly optimistic, however, this clip does show one thing I'm sad to see hasn't been improved:

4:05 - a pass is misplaced, however, by luck it heads directly towards another one his players. Unfortunately, the AI has no understanding of this, and makes no effort to collect the ball that's right next to his feet.

Shame

Valid points,I think defending needs major improvements,never felt comfy defending on 19,simply because I think my defenders feel floaty on PA0,feels like waking them up every time you switch defenders.
That's something needed looking at on 20 for sure

Thank you janguy, I don't like what I see at the 4:08, the cursor still have a problem...
It's not just your impression, people that played E3 build confirmed it is still an issue. We can only hope they will improve it because it's a long running issue. I don't even remember which was the last Pes with a good cursor change.

You do make a very, very good point about the defending. Half the issue is definitely not that dribbling is so difficult, but that defending is far easier in comparison.

However, how would you change the way defending works? Fifa have tried it with their 'tactical defending' and my god, I HATE it. The game often chooses the completely wrong animation to tackle the ball, and defenders will not attempt anything on their own, so they've gone from totally automatic defending, to embarrassingly bad.

Having said that, there is definitely a massive difference between a human player putting pressure on you and the AI. A human who simply holds one button is extremely easy to get past using skills. Superstar AI is infinitely better at timing when to put pressure on you so it gives the illusion that they're locking onto the attacker.

One thing I'd love to see added - you know how you can double tap to make a challenge? I'd like it if when you make AI pressure the ball you could double tap to make them make a challenge. This way a player can't completely rely on the AI to win the ball for them.

Adding deeper mechanics like charged tackle (like a pass or shoot) with manual direction.

The much longer time you press the tackle button, more powefull it will be, but with a longer and slower animation. Then you'll fail if you arrive late or you don't give enought power to win the ball.

Defending can be enjoyable as atacking, but Konami have to work on that.
I rememeber the lovely feeling when you did a well timed sliding tackle on PES 5/6.

@janguv the pace in this video its absolute lovely. How important it's slowing down attack/defense transitions to get a proper tempo.

Defending can be enjoyable as attacking, but Konami have to work on that.
I rememeber the lovely feeling when you did a well timed sliding tackle on PES 5/6.
Exactly. Something I mentioned earlier in this thread.

The thing is though is I don’t think we could ever go back to that style of defending. The game’s simplicity in its player movement is what made it so good back then. By that I mean; because there was only a fraction of the animations there are now, you could predict with far, far more accuracy where the attackers would go, and the ability to read the game is the majority of the art of defending. It’s inherent design made defending better, not necessarily the defending mechanics themselves.

Everything was also far more black and white back then too. No ambiguity - They have Rio Ferdinand in defence? Well best stay away from him then, as he’s bigger, stronger, and faster than the majority of players, and if you get near him, he tackled you. No questions asked :)) Now everyone’s unhappy with things like “eeerrr, the defender was ever so slightly wrong footed so he shouldn’t have been able to out strength him. Unrealistic!!”.

You had none of that then. It was raw.

Scripted Interview! Overpowered AI answers, human questions have little to no effect on the CPU's answering tactics, laser guided answers with no room for errors!

Lol. The unique reason for not being hyped with PES 2020 it's the memory of 12 years poor desert
from which we come.

The ball physics are 5 steps forward:BOUNCE:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom