eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have decided even if the Demo turns out to be great, I won't be pre-ordering the full game and I will wait until the game is discounted before I decide if it's worth purchasing. Companies like Konami and EA have been instrumental in my decision to no longer Pre-order any game. Demo's are no longer trusted as a good representation of the final game.

Just wished that the demo could be more of a pointer tw the full game.
Any game (FIFA/PES) will play ok-good-great when being played on exhibition mode.

If you scroll through old threads most demos have been received well,then a week after the full release you start seeing the bad stuff.
I want a demo with ML/League mode,that's the only way to judge a game.
But guess it's part of the smoke and mirror tactics from Konami (and EA)

This is what I have done for years, less so with FIFA I have to say, but this year's offering from both EA and Konami were both BAD.

So it will be like December before I venture into a purchase of either game.

This is the first year where I haven't played either game much, usually I find that if one's bad and unplayable/unenjoyable, the other has enough going for it to keep me playing through the year, but both crap offerings for 19 and I am scunnered with it all.

If you can remember 20 - 10 years ago the footy games were rich and varied and there were several really good ones sandwiched in between the dross. The choice was like 10 per console generation, now we just have the 'lazy' two, no competition and no technical advancements are the result.

How come we're in such a bad place? The two only offerings we have now are so far off the mark of where we expected them to be when predicting the future 20 years ago.

Very poor both games are when, you consider the hardware advancements in 20 years, even the TV's are far in advance of what we probably could have predicted back then. Ditto the consoles and PC's hardware. Sadly, they're not making the best of any of the hardware advancements.

Both too busy scamming their underage players of their parent's money in micro-transactions. I bet neither of their transactions servers ever go down or lag like their gaming ones do though.

@g2bam fully agree on their pachinko/cash cow myclub/FUT when it’s targeted at minors it’s quite revolting.
I play Pes 18 and Pes 5-6 and if this game isn’t up to at least 17-18s Standard I’m out as well
And being on the subject of immoral companies,Take two (2k) is pretty much the golden boy in this micro transaction hell
Yes you can chose to play completely offline,and that’s what I do.
But in their case,if you start a offline career you earn VC (in game currency) while playing it,the problem is,when they shut down the servers,your offline save gets corrupted and all your progress is wasted,found out that the hard way when trying to boot up my 2k16 career (3 seasons in)
If you start playing when the servers are down,then you’ll be able to play as long as you want to

At least we don’t have that situation (yet)

He won an UEFA Cup with Zenit (2006), and the subsequent UEFA Super Cup. He was also named as Russia's greatest footballer for 2006. Then, he played for Arsenal (their most expensive transfer until then). Finally, played for 10+ years in the national team, reaching the Euro 2008 semi-final, when Russia was voted as the best team of the tournament.

Not much, but he is a very important personality for Russian football.

good summary, and yes he actually won trophies with Zenit, which is important for several reasons. (The club had a grand total of 2 trophies in its history, until Gazprom became its sponsor) That being said, Arshavin is certainly not at the same level of "legendness" as Maradona and Cruyff. Maybe Beckham. For a true legendary Russian player - you'd have to go back into 1960s (i can only think of Yashin). In the 80s and 90s (when it was still all one country), there was a galaxy of real stars from Ukraine; Blokhin or Belanov would've been a good choice for a legend.

@juce Oleg Salenko is probably the only one I can name outside the ones you mentioned.
5 goals in the 94 WC,he had 8 caps,6 goals (if Wikipedia is right) an ok club career too

This is what I have done for years, less so with FIFA I have to say, but this year's offering from both EA and Konami were both BAD.

So it will be like December before I venture into a purchase of either game.

This is the first year where I haven't played either game much, usually I find that if one's bad and unplayable/unenjoyable, the other has enough going for it to keep me playing through the year, but both crap offerings for 19 and I am scunnered with it all.

If you can remember 20 - 10 years ago the footy games were rich and varied and there were several really good ones sandwiched in between the dross. The choice was like 10 per console generation, now we just have the 'lazy' two, no competition and no technical advancements are the result.

How come we're in such a bad place? The two only offerings we have now are so far off the mark of where we expected them to be when predicting the future 20 years ago.

Very poor both games are when, you consider the hardware advancements in 20 years, even the TV's are far in advance of what we probably could have predicted back then. Ditto the consoles and PC's hardware. Sadly, they're not making the best of any of the hardware advancements.

Both too busy scamming their underage players of their parent's money in micro-transactions. I bet neither of their transactions servers ever go down or lag like their gaming ones do though.

I think its because their are gamers who aren't what I'd consider proper gamers. They monetise the game (earliest examples I can think of are that guy Olijide or something [I've forgotten, sorry]) who was posting up vids of Fifa gameplay - back in 2014 I think alot of us were oblivious just as to how much money could be made from youtube and the like.

SO there is a "wrong" crowd playing these games and there is a "wrong" crowd making the game which panders to that crowd.

FIFA and PES have become something I just don't relate with. In a way that's helped me get off my addiction. But there are no doubt a lot of ppl sucked in to this machine.

I've generally considered the UK a privileged country but in the news (and on the streets) we're seeing talk of increasing "poverty" and "homelessness". We've got lots of crime in the news and recently they blamed that on "poverty".

Kids wants PS4s/Xboxes. They want to play footy games. Silently these gambling mechanics enter the home and your family/home/life situation becomes unexpected hell. And when that happens they will tell you "you can turn on parental controls".

TLDR : F**k these modern game mechanics. [ Gamers are profiting from other gamers and the game companies are deliberately doing nothing/fuelling the situation because money makes the world go round. ]

TLDR2 : I'm an old-school MOFO

Last edited:
oh ok. Has he really had such a big impact on Russian football? what significant prize did he help them win that they didn't already have?
maybe I just nag but I have another idea of who and what a legend is supposed to be.
That's like saying anyone who plays for a team that doesn't win anything significant isn't a legend.

Would you say Alan Shearer isn't a Newcastle or England legend because he didn't win anything with them?

It's all relative.

Salenko was fine. Not a legend in my view... but still a very good player.
I agree with @NIK778899 , trophies are not necessarily a good measurement for this. Shearer is certainly up there with the best strikers. Still holds scoring record in EPL - 13 years after retiring from playing.

The whole "legend" marker is wrong, i think. Bad choice of a word. All these "PES legends" are wonderful players alright.. but there's really only one legend player in our sport. And that's Maradona. <end-of-flame-bait/>

Random question but does anyone actually use 'Jockey' when defending in PES? It's R2 by default incase you've never noticed it! :PP

The reason I ask this is because I was messing about with some of the older demos earlier and realized that after 6 Fox engine/PS4 era titles precisely nothing has changed with the defensive mechanics or even the control layouts. 6 years. Nothing.

Actually almost nothing has changed since 2015 has it apart from the constant fiddling with the skilled dribbling. What have they been doing for 6 years! :LOL:

He won an UEFA Cup with Zenit (2006), and the subsequent UEFA Super Cup. He was also named as Russia's greatest footballer for 2006. Then, he played for Arsenal (their most expensive transfer until then). Finally, played for 10+ years in the national team, reaching the Euro 2008 semi-final, when Russia was voted as the best team of the tournament.

Not much, but he is a very important personality for Russian football.
woah!!! ok, so fully deserved if you consider this info.
thanks!

good summary, and yes he actually won trophies with Zenit, which is important for several reasons. (The club had a grand total of 2 trophies in its history, until Gazprom became its sponsor) That being said, Arshavin is certainly not at the same level of "legendness" as Maradona and Cruyff. Maybe Beckham. For a true legendary Russian player - you'd have to go back into 1960s (i can only think of Yashin). In the 80s and 90s (when it was still all one country), there was a galaxy of real stars from Ukraine; Blokhin or Belanov would've been a good choice for a legend.
that's what i was going for but you can't say his impact on Russian football isn't noteworthy.

That's like saying anyone who plays for a team that doesn't win anything significant isn't a legend.

Would you say Alan Shearer isn't a Newcastle or England legend because he didn't win anything with them?

It's all relative.
I know that I will probably get crucified for this, but if he has indeed won nothing with none of them ........
did he bring one of them to a level that they had never reached before?
legend status means achievements right?

Random question but does anyone actually use 'Jockey' when defending in PES? It's R2 by default incase you've never noticed it! :PP

The reason I ask this is because I was messing about with some of the older demos earlier and realized that after 6 Fox engine/PS4 era titles precisely nothing has changed with the defensive mechanics or even the control layouts. 6 years. Nothing.

Actually almost nothing has changed since 2015 has it apart from the constant fiddling with the skilled dribbling. What have they been doing for 6 years! :LOL:

@vxcmplx mentioned its use here a while ago - alternate R1/R2 when defending to jockey tackle. (Correct me if I'm wrong, vx)

@vxcmplx mentioned its use here a while ago - alternate R1/R2 when defending to jockey tackle. (Correct me if I'm wrong, vx)

Yeah because the onlline manual actually says 'Jockey also slightly enhances your tackling..' but I couldn't feel any difference trying it against the completely predictable 2019 demo low cross demented spamming AI. :?

Oh for the days when we got a manual in the box with full in-depth descriptions of everything.

Yashin was actually in FIFA 19, so that's not totally impossible. Of course Arshavin isn't at the same level with Beckham or Maradona, but he is a living relic of modern RPFL, and KONAMI has to present him as one (exploiting the license exclusivity). As a bonus he played for Arsenal, too, which is another partner.

Imagine KONAMI launching an ex-USSR legends campaign, it would be unprecedented. And very controversial, too.

Yeah because the onlline manual actually says 'Jockey also slightly enhances your tackling..' but I couldn't feel any difference trying it against the completely predictable 2019 demo low cross demented spamming AI. :?

Oh for the days when we got a manual in the box with full in-depth descriptions of everything.

You say that, but PES has always had 'hidden' controls. I remember back in the day that super cancel was in the game at least one or two versions before it was ever talked about in the manual. Also the triangle low shot was in the game when it wasn't mentioned in the manual. (Can't recall if it was before it was introduced or after it was taken out the manual). Back in the day Konami could get away with these anomalies because the game was more solid but now their lack of clarity is really frustrating. I honestly wonder whether they know about a lot of the things in the game; I feel like the development of the gameplay is a soup that has been bubbling away on a cauldron for years and they've got no idea what the ingredients are anymore. They add some stuff here, take some random unrecognisable lumps out there, then release the game without having tried the whole concoction. It's left to us to discover the bitter tasting elements!

Sorry, I made a meal out of that analogy! :BORED:

I made a post on facebook last week lamenting the loss of instruction manuals. It was generally well received though I was called 'weird' for recalling how good the pages smelled.

I know that I will probably get crucified for this, but if he has indeed won nothing with none of them ........
did he bring one of them to a level that they had never reached before?
legend status means achievements right?
But you can bring a team to a level they've never reached before and still have won nothing.
Like I said, it's all relative to circumstance. There's no way to define exactly what is and isn't legendart status. Arshavin was arguably the main reason why Russia got to the Euro 2008 semi finals. Shearer was a big reason why England got to the Euro 96 semi finals. You get teams in the English lower leagues that haven't been promoted or relegated for literal decades. Same division, never go up or down, yet they all have players they consider legends of the club.

say what you want about ingame but the facescans are unreal. i doubt FE get dropped in the following years

EANRF3AWsAUZnnT
EADEiVFX4AACJAu

D_4ASfgXYAA5Eca

say what you want about ingame but the facescans are unreal. i doubt FE get dropped in the following years

EANRF3AWsAUZnnT
EADEiVFX4AACJAu

D_4ASfgXYAA5Eca
This is impressive. Don't care for it but looks really good. My main gripe with this is the fake faces - which the majority of faces still are - will look even worse in contrast. It already looks silly to have castledine next to a real player in replays as it is .

But you can bring a team to a level they've never reached before and still have won nothing.
Like I said, it's all relative to circumstance. There's no way to define exactly what is and isn't legendart status. Arshavin was arguably the main reason why Russia got to the Euro 2008 semi finals. Shearer was a big reason why England got to the Euro 96 semi finals. You get teams in the English lower leagues that haven't been promoted or relegated for literal decades. Same division, never go up or down, yet they all have players they consider legends of the club.
True, makes sense. i guess that's the criteria Konami is probably using too.

I wish they would bring back the ability to add our own face scans, on console. It's all well and good updating Chiellini's face every year, but what about the smooth skins? The forgotten men? Also, some of the old face scans from years ago are starting to look a bit creepy now.

Nikica Jelavic and his toupée, anyone?
player_40729.png

(There are much, much worse out there)

The quality of the faces is not related to the engine, though. The assets would probably look good in UE4, too.

Thats right but since these are scans possibly they are as HQ as possible, the quality decreases according what the engine can carry out. But i doubt anyways they drop the engine, they hardly have to invest any penny compared to if they'd pay for one. Konami was also hiring in the past 2 years many many developers. Possible Fox 2.0 is also the reason.

I´m really curious.
Gonna test it out, but since I´m enjoying my ML 2019 (modded out), I´m scared that I can´t go back to 2019 no more, once I played the demo.

I wish they would bring back the ability to add our own face scans, on console. It's all well and good updating Chiellini's face every year, but what about the smooth skins? The forgotten men? Also, some of the old face scans from years ago are starting to look a bit creepy now.

Nikica Jelavic and his toupée, anyone?
player_40729.png

(There are much, much worse out there)
Agree. How many times has Messi been updated in the last 5 years compared to some who still have generic faces?

Agree. How many times has Messi been updated in the last 5 years compared to some who still have generic faces?

Of course big teams and players need updating every year, they are the face of the game and the selling point for the series, I know this. They are the most used players and teams, the yearly showcase and the first place people look for improvements. But it would be nice if a little more time was spent on the other 80%. I'm not saying every player needs expensive, time-consuming and highly detailed face scans, but maybe some lower-res faces comprised from jpegs, or the option to add our own.

Bring back pancake face!
3146538990_1_4_xQevDWFT.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom