Votes: 83 44.6%

• Total voters

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Quick question to those who bought PES 2016.

Do you still play the game (regularly - i.e. once a week or more)?

I'm just interesting in getting a clearer picture of how many forum members are sticking with PES 2016, and how many have stopped playing it, so that we all have a clearer picture about how popular the game is.

(I get the feeling this will be seen as a "troll" post by some, but it's truly not - I'm just interested to see if the opinion of the "hardcore", if you like, have the same opinion of the game as the reviews.)

I did enjoy it at the start a lot, but then I started to get better at the game and started seeing exploits in the broken CPU AI defensive side of the game and has turned me off from playing it now

Yes because every week few friends come at home, we do 2vs2 offline and it's really great, but for sure I don't play alone.

I've stopped because I can't find a way to enjoy the game, even though on the most part i think it is a really good game.

I've pretty much told the same story in another thread but anyway... I bought the game and immediately started with a league mode using international teams on top player difficulty with 15 min matches, -1 speed, manual passing and shooting. I used it as a kind of practice tournament so i could learn the tactics and tweak them game by game until I came to a setting that I liked and was easily modifyable to play against different opponents. On the most part I found it very enjoyable with close matches, reasonable scorelines (if anything maybe too many 0s) but it really showed he game in a good light and I was happy with it.

As i got towards the second half of the season I started to dabble into online. I'm not a big online player normally because the ranking and competition system doesn't make much sense to me (I wish they'd bring back the PS2 online competitions where you could pick 3 teams which had to be a maximum of 10 cumulative rating stars etc) but I thought I would give online divisions ago and i did ok, the matches were competitive and the manual filter seemed to work properly, I do ok but the default speed just feels too fast and overall the game online just doesn't have the same responsiveness or real football feel to it like offline does, the manual passing bug was a pain sometimes as well. I've also tried myclub but to me it's a nonsense mode that doesn't make any sense, i definitely wont be touching that again.

As an old school pes fan, Master League is where it's at for me. I delayed starting one because of the awful data pack fiasco but then a week or too after DP1 i just thought it's close enough and gave up and started one. I can't argue with the changes within the mode itself, the new interface, team roles and general bug fixes has made it playable and enjoyable. On paper, team spirit is a great idea but in reality it makes the gameplay in Master League truly disasterous. I had to drop back down to 10 minute matches to avoid the ridiculous high scorelines (8-4, 6-6) etc and even then there are just far too many goals because of how terrible the goalkeepers are, how badly the AI teams defend and how clinical and scripted they are when attacking, i lasted 2 games before deciding i couldn't take any more of master league and it left me stuck as to what to do.

I started a new league mode up using the English League thinking it would be just as good as the original league mode I played, especially with the basic enchancement in DP1, the ability to put in low crosses on manual, but again after a few games with the same settings as my first league mode the games started to be ruined by cheap AI and really, really bad tactical set ups for the teams in the league. the final straw was conceding a 91st min goal to WBA to their first shot on target. only to score immediately from kick off and equalise by dribbling through with one player, untouched and without even a nudge of a tackle against me, I hadn't realised how easy it was until then. that was 2 weeks ago and the game hasn't been played since.

Now, here comes patch 1.04 and I can see that the manual pass bug has been fixed and there's better matchmaking for manual players online. I can also see that the keepers shouldn'#t be affected that badly by team spirit in ML. I feel like an idiot but i might have to give the game one more chance, even though the worst pats of the game havent been fixed, lets see how long it takes until the lack of fouls and lack of high AI shots make me turn away from the game once again

• Staff
Now, here comes patch 1.04 and I can see that the manual pass bug has been fixed and there's better matchmaking for manual players online. I can also see that the keepers shouldn'#t be affected that badly by team spirit in ML. I feel like an idiot but i might have to give the game one more chance, even though the worst pats of the game havent been fixed, lets see how long it takes until the lack of fouls and lack of high AI shots make me turn away from the game once again
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I kept going back after a week or so, playing a few games, getting annoyed and deciding I wouldn't play it again, only to go back a week later and repeat the same process.

I think I'm done now, though. Offline the "team spirit" WRECKS the Master League (and as you say the AI is cheap), and online my last ten scorelines look like the odds on a betting website (8-1, 7-1, 6-2 etc. etc. - not all wins by the way, far from it) - which leaves nothing left to play.

It got such great reviews, and yet after a month, it's just another disappointing PES (not the most disappointing, but broken, I would say).

I'm genuinely interested to see that so many are still playing the game, though!

Tried it today after new DB/patch, after 4 games I switched off and started FIFA16 on the Xbox One. I am always looking forward if Konami releases a new thing, but now I am sure that they will never change the gameplay for better; goalies are shit, always the same ground shots, no fouls and so on.....
I don't care of stadiums, boots, kits normally but imho FIFA is the better package this year.

I didn't buy PES 2016 because of how PES 2015 behaved when played offline (especially Master League). I'm a big offline player and love Master League, but I got hugely disappointed after 2 or 3 seasons. Plus all the effort of editing a game, which I think it's unacceptable in this day and age.

I didn't want to go through that again, neither would I have the time to edit this unfinished game anyway. So that's why it was an easy decision not to buy it.

However, I did play it once with a friend and I loved how the game felt and played. Shooting was overpowered but all in all the game offered a great variety in every match.

After a few offline 1-vs-1s with my friend, we decided to start a Master League on coop mode. It took us no more than 5 matches to get a grip on things and then we started dishing out 6-1, 8-0 score lines to the CPU, even though it was on Superstar level.
Well, this is a team from the French Ligue 2 and we started with the default ML chumps, and we still beat the crap out of the other 2nd Div teams. It struck me also how easy it was to sign some players that featured in the World Cup, such as Paulinho and Ron Vlaar.

As fun as it was, I know there was something off with all the hammerings we were giving the CPU. We played a Saturday afternoon until the early AM hours of a Sunday, and that was that... I never touched the game again, also because I didn't feel like buying it. I just know I won't be playing it offline as a single player.

I still plays it because i'm an idiot, but after another shameful "update" i will try to trade it and play only Fifa.

Nope, bought on release day. Dealt with old roster, could not deal with the gameplay annoyances (keepers, fouls, AI shots, scripting), sold it over a month ago. Bought FIFA at discount and having a lot of fun with it. Hope Konami steps up next year and will def wait a few days before purchasing in '16

Yeah I still play it. I don't know why I never get these huge scorelines that other people are experiencing, it is probably because I never play ML with low division teams. The games on full manuals with player edits is fine for me. Although not as good as PES 2013 gameplay, overall I still like the game. Tried some games with the new patch, but not enough to make a conclusion yet. I have FIFA 16 too, but can't get into the game, FIFA 14 feels better for me.

Nope, since finding the perfect camera view (Tele broadcast 16, 4) playing FIFA 16 on Legendary now.

For the first time ever I'm playing FIFA more than PES. Lack of free kicks given and CPU low shot has completely killed PES for me. On PS3.

:BYE: Bye bye PES

Nope give it chance after chance to fix the fundamentals but they didn't so I sold it and after dedicating time to FIFA it's light years ahead in nearly every aspect and is far more engaging as a single player ..recent FIFA patch has improved the game further

yes because I spend most of my play time editing it but I will stop soon as no OF editor seems to be made and I'm starting to get sick of editing ingame.
I don't think I'll buy next pes, konami should give us an OF editor for free to make up for the unfinished work they make us buy instead of encrypting the OF.

Not playing it anymore for months now.

Came back to it a few times and switched to full manual (even I never wanted to, but I wanted to like this damn game).

I could enjoy it that way for some time but seeing the goalie fall down like a bag of rice with angled arms...you know that same low shot all the time and the lack of fouls etc I gave up on it.

I´m done with this game and I´m done with that company.
I also don´t have any hopes for PES 2017.

It´s quite sad as I was a hardcore fan since PES 3 (Playstation 2), loved 4, 5, specially 6 on PC (remembering the countless 2vs2´s online with my cousin), mixed feeling with 2008, avoided 2009, liked 2010, absolutely loved 2011 (the best for me ever!) and 2012 was meh, 2013 was ok.
I liked 2014 and since 2015 I struggled to like it but I´m done now.

Other dev companies also make decisions that are not comprehensable or release games full of bugs but KONAMI (the PES team)...I don´t know.
I regret a lot giving them my money the last two years.

I always laughed about FIFA´s gameplay...PES was miles ahead on this one.
The irony is that (ATTENTION: MY OPINION ONLY) FIFA overtook PES in that sector and offers a gameplay which I was used from PES in earlier years.

Of course it ain´t perfect...I´m still struggling with defending online, camera options are too toned down, you can´t save replays, partly bad player faces, too many penalties on UT, etc etc.

But the way FIFA improved the last years and the thought what they could improve the next years, I doubt that I´ll ever gonna get back to PES again.

Not with that dev team and their behaviour, at least.

I'm really surprised at the numbers, it's pretty much 50/50. That's pretty bad considering we're the PES hardcore!

Which makes it all the more infuriating (on a personal level) that the reviews are all stellar, and Konami will let the series stagnate from now.

I'm really surprised at the numbers, it's pretty much 50/50. That's pretty bad considering we're the PES hardcore!

Which makes it all the more infuriating (on a personal level) that the reviews are all stellar, and Konami will let the series stagnate from now.

The learning is trusting the reviews. The main flaws and niggles won't stand out until after a proper thorough play test. If I had reviewed it after a week let alone a day I'd of scored it 90% and praised it. However after a month and proper hands on with master league it's 70-75% at best

Yesterday, i had a long session.
I stopped playing ML and i'm now palying a league with Spurs.
Overall it's a better experience thatn ML, but some matches are infuriating. I played a UEFA-league match against Rennes and totally outclassed thm (1-7, exagerated score). Afterwards i played Watford and i won 0-1. That seems a normal score, but that was a miracle.
I was totally outplayed by Watford, the CPU played very, very dirty football with foul after foul that wasn't given and my CB's kept on doing strange things (literally avoiding the ball). But Lloris performed miracles in goal and i scored with an isolated counter. Freak result.

Afterwards i played 3 or 4 very satisfying and normal matches.

But sadly this game is at it's best in exhibition matches. Is it that difficult to reproduce the gameplay of the exhibition matches in the league, ML or other modes?

Make the game more customizable and each and everybody is able to search his best game experience. They have 75% of a a very good game, but that is not enough. If they make the game totally customizable, then most people will be satisfied. I know i'm banging on the same nail, but that is what is needed imo.

I'm also noticing another bug wich annoys me very much. Often when you come before the GK, you press the shoot-button and suddenly the game isn't responsive anymore...this happens es^pecially after a dribble solo and ruïns what could be great goals...

The learning is trusting the reviews. The is the main flaws and niggles won't stand out until after a proper thorough play test. If I had reviewed it after a week I'd of scored it 90% and praised it. However after a month and proper hands on with master league it's 70-75% at best
I don't agree with that; as soon as I played the game I was getting stupid scores (offline and online), it was clear that attributes meant less than before (which is a killer for me because I've always relied on PES for getting individuality right), goalkeepers were clearly fucked, shots too (all the same height, all missing by the same distance)...

Things like the rosters being so out-of-date I can actually forgive a lot of the reviewers for not mentioning (ORIGINALLY), because if you're playing a game a month before release, the data WILL be all over the place. But nobody updated their review, nobody who tested it in the week of release mentioned it...

I'm desperate for PES to be great again given that it still does some things right (that the alternatives will seemingly never get right), but with it doing so much wrong, and Metacritic scores being a huge factor in a game's development (especially with big companies like Konami whose higher-ups judge producers, and budgets, based on them)... I can only see the series going further down the path of high-scoring, low-individuality "fun" fests.

I'm also noticing another bug wich annoys me very much. Often when you come before the GK, you press the shoot-button and suddenly the game isn't responsive anymore...this happens es^pecially after a dribble solo and ruïns what could be great goals...
Gerd, that's a golden PES CPU cheat that's been there for a decade, now. The one that annoys me is when your player's first-touch kicks the ball literally 10ft-20ft further than usual, and STRAIGHT to an opposition player.

That was the death knell for me. They're not designing the game for modern architecture whatsoever, the core is still a PS2 game (as proven by the fact that the mobile version of the game uses the same engine)...

Last edited:
@Chris:

Maybe because you are a hardcore PES fan and you know what you are talking about.
But these reviewers...I doubt that most of them know what PES was (is) all about.

I was thrilled and excited about the fist matches (until FIFA 16 came out).

Came back to PES 2016 a few times and you could say it took me like 30 - 40 games to realize how crappy and faulty that game is.

I doubt that these reviewers played that many.
Let alone testing every mode thoroughly.
They probably spent their most time with exhibition matches.

Another assumption could be that KONAMI....uuhhhh....no....I won´t say.

yeah it stinks, but i doubt PP would have the money to buy the reviewers so they are just simply retarded giving this game 9/10 and saying its the best football game ever created

yeah it stinks, but i doubt PP would have the money to buy the reviewers
I'm not suggesting that, I agree with you - I think the high review scores are the result of old-school PES fans loving the fluidity of the game and basing everything around that "retro feeling". I don't think any of those reviewers want the game to move into the 21st century, and they want PES to be a pick-up-and-play fun-fest.

Back
Top Bottom