DJ Hero

D

DagsJT

'Guitar Hero' Publisher Working On 'DJ Hero,' Source Confirms To MTV News
Source says mash-up mechanics make for a 'really good' game but are proving to be a 'licensing nightmare.'

By Patrick Klepek

As if plastic guitars, drums, basses and microphones weren't enough, "Guitar Hero" publisher Activision Blizzard is also working on a DJ-based music game called "DJ Hero," a source confirmed to MTV News.

On Friday, gaming blog Kotaku reported the first alleged details on a new Activision Blizzard music title, currently called "DJ Hero." MTV News has separately confirmed the existence of "DJ Hero," with a source that chose to remain anonymous.

Our source has seen "DJ Hero" and confirmed Kotaku's description for the basic gameplay mechanics.

An Activision Blizzard spokesperson declined to comment on this story.

"DJ Hero" is one of the few unannounced projects inherited from Activision's merger with corporate giant Vivendi. While Activision Blizzard trademarked the "DJ Hero" name back in February, it wasn't until recently we became aware what the name had been attached to.

We're told the mash-up mechanics make for a "really good" game but are proving to be a "licensing nightmare" when dealing with the music labels. As a result of the merger with Vivendi, however, Activision Blizzard now has direct access to the Universal Music Group.

Other than "DJ Hero," Activision Blizzard has trademarked a number of unannounced music products that have yet to come to fruition, including the games "Guitar Villain" and "Drum Villain." It was later confirmed that the "Drum Villain" development was rolled into the company's upcoming band-oriented "Guitar Hero: World Tour."

Original music-game innovator Konami, also delivering the band game "Rock Revolution" this fall, experimented with DJ gaming with the "Beatmania" series. They released a U.S. version for the PlayStation 2 back in 2004.

Konami never revisited the franchise in the United States on a home console, however, giving Activision Blizzard an opportunity to pull off another "Guitar Hero."

Here you go PBoreham ;)

-----------------------

djhead.jpg

Upon first seeing the DJ Hero peripheral this morning, many people remarked on how simple it looked. Three buttons and a turntable, and that was it. But is that it?

Take a look at the two shots released. They're awful. One only shows a small part of the device, from the top-down, while the other has one side of the controller abruptly cut off. When revealing product images to the press, you don't accidentally cut off sections of the image.

Oh, unless you're trying to hide something.

We wouldn't be surprised if Activision have a few more announcements left on this thing. Like, say, a small crossfader.

And if you're worried about it being in the top-left of the unit, take a look at the buttons on the two images. The "front" image has the buttons on the left, but on the top-down one they're on the right, suggesting that Activision simply flipped the front-on image, meaning the crossfader would actually be on the bottom-right of the unit.

medium_3509360205_0c6899780b_o.jpg

medium_3509360225_34f5b48cf1_o.jpg

What I was thinking Tim?!

I assume hold one of the buttons and 'rub' the record to scratch it??? Gonna be interesting that for sure.

Anyone played any of the Asian Beamania games of this type? How do they play?

Well you won't get your nob sucked by 2 drunk slags at the end of the night so no it won't be.

Activision has signed rich and renowned rappers Eminem and Jay-Z to help kick-start the DJ Hero series.

The pair will offer unnamed songs to the first game, and will be the focus of post-release downloadable content later this year.

Eminem and Jay-Z will also compile two CDs of mixes to go into a special edition of the game. This has a "an advanced version" of the DJ Hero turntable peripheral, plus a swanky metal travelling case that doubles as a "performance-ready DJ stand".

DJ Hero launches on PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 later this year. We're expecting to see more at E3, and have only a teaser video with no real gameplay footage apart from character posing to look at.

That said, we do know the game will include around 100 songs, including exclusive work from DJ Shadow.

That's perked my interest :COOL:

Definitely going to be a viable alternative to the 'band' games.

I still think there is room for:-

"I SAY DJ - YOU SAY HERO"
"DJ"
"HERO"
"IT'S DJ HERO"

No? Just me...

:LOL:

I think it looks interesting, I'd like to check out the tracklist and full feature list first though.

So it's not really doing mixing and sets then. I'm a little disappointed. I know thats probably way too long winded for casual gamers so they've gone for the scratching and samples, with mashup type mixing in there, but I would have really liked a decks setup with a mixer and make it like Rock Band with having 3-4 song sets, maybe longer ones the further into the game you go. Making a set list and then mixing them real time like a DJ would in a club etc...

This could be alright though, for a laugh, it's just not DJing though, is it. (Not that Gutar Hero is guitaring etc... :D )

looks gash, just buy some cheap decks, a mixer and some speakers and have a bash at that! alot more enjoyable!

Can see your point, but its just like saying "Guitar Hero is shite, just buy a guitar and play that".

Some people are not particularly musically minded, but would love to 'play' an instrument, which has really led to GH being so massive.

So with DJH, I am interested in the variety and the mechanics of DJing, but I'd NEVER be bothered to try and set up some real decks and try it. Would just be an excercise in frustration.

This way, you get the 'feel' of DJing, along with prompts to help you produce something that is (hopefully) decent to listen to.

I'm definitely still 100% interested in this!

tbh anybody with half a brain can DJ, just need to press the play button and make sure the pitch is correct, mixing is very simple, especially beat mixing, but try picking up a guitar and playing Shortest straw straight away, takes a lot more effort, took me nearly 2 weeks to learn the song, I do have decks too incase you think im talking bollocks about the djing, or you might think im talking bollocks anyway lol

tbh anybody with half a brain can DJ, just need to press the play button and make sure the pitch is correct, mixing is very simple, especially beat mixing, but try picking up a guitar and playing Shortest straw straight away, takes a lot more effort, took me nearly 2 weeks to learn the song, I do have decks too incase you think im talking bollocks about the djing, or you might think im talking bollocks anyway lol

Not 'bollocks' but saying 'anyone with half a brain' is a bit insulting to talented people.

DJing is as much about making music as playing an instrument - you probably have to be more skilled and creative to mix anything (and sound good) than learn to play a power chord based song on guitar.

Its like saying "anyone with half a brain can paint a picture". Of course they can, but only those with skill, talent and dedication will make it something interesting to look at!

Glad you can DJ though, you must have "teh mad skillz"

You're both right. :D

It's not that difficult to pitch/tempo/beat match a song and mix it with another, same as it's not that difficult to play a guitar chord and transition into another. But doing them both well and with seemingly little to no effort takes a lot of talent and also practice.

nbc_the_more_you_know1.jpg

Not 'bollocks' but saying 'anyone with half a brain' is a bit insulting to talented people.

DJing is as much about making music as playing an instrument - you probably have to be more skilled and creative to mix anything (and sound good) than learn to play a power chord based song on guitar.

Its like saying "anyone with half a brain can paint a picture". Of course they can, but only those with skill, talent and dedication will make it something interesting to look at!

Glad you can DJ though, you must have "teh mad skillz"

Good points mate, I did go a bit overboard with the half brain statement but i still stand by my post, I can do the basics on the decks like beat mix and scratch etc, but on guitar im a lot better, I first started out playing oasis and indie music, but now i play Metallica, Slipknot, Chimaira etc, the main difference is the speed of the songs and shredding takes a lot of practice, but im defo gonna get this game even tho i have real decks, i hope it lets you import your own music into it, Ive made loads of drum & bass songs, would love to use them in it.

UK retailer ShopTo has told Eurogamer that DJ Hero carries a suggested retail price of GBP 107.99. That came directly from Activision, we were told.

ShopTo snips that to GBP 94.85, for the game plus DJ turntable peripheral. It's a significant mark-up on the GBP 70 that Guitar Hero plus peripheral launched at here.

Frustratingly, DJ Hero will only cost Americans 120 dollars, according to GameStop - which translates to around GBP 73.

HMV, which offers DJ Hero for GBP 99.99, told Eurogamer it is "going with its own price on this". Other local retailers are yet to wade in.

Same here, bit of a piss-take. I doubt it'll sell well at that price, I'm not sure it would've sold well anyway either.

Back
Top Bottom