Champions League 2011/12

Firstly, I think the most beautiful thing about football is that a team playing the way Chelsea did last night is still able to win a match. That's what really separates it from other major sports - in most the best performers/ talents/ teams generally come out on top because there are so many more chances to score.

Secondly, I don't want to rehash what ccshopland has articulated really well, but Barcelona's way of playing bores the bejesus out of me too. Years ago before the back pass rule I used to watch Liverpool do similar things - they'd keep the ball in the back four and the keeper for freaking ages to take the sting out of a match, and to give their players a chance to rest. Personally, I don't see what Barca do as being all that much different.

Sometimes they string a beautiful move together, and score a great goal. But the vast, VAST, majority of time they 'recycle possession' which is a polite term for pass it backwards to the defence and start again. They had 72% possession in the two matches, and yet only managed a bit over twice as many shots on target. Of course it's impressive that they can play a variety of passes over 10 yards and their movement is great to always give options - but I don't find it fun. Or interesting, or exciting.

I've said this before when (admittedly often when bitter at having seen a team I wanted to win be beaten by them) but Barca basically bore teams to death. They force you to defend their meaningless possession, and when you finally get a bit complacent, then they try to beat the offside trap witha through ball. From the highlights/ press coverage you'd think they'd peppered poor Petr Cech and he had the game of his life. He didn't.

Last night was a great example of direct vs indirect football. In the second half Chelsea had Kalou through on goal, a wide open Ivanovic header and of course Torres' goal. Other than Cesc's dive and Messi's shot, Barca didn't create better chances. So as 'beautiful' as their possession football is, it didn't lead to goal creating chances.

I'm not saying that Stoke's approach is the right one, but I genuinely find the more cut and thrust teams (like current Madrid, Chelsea in 05/06, Arsenal in 00's, United most of the time) way more exciting to watch. There tend to be more chances and more variety in play.

Finally, if Barca fans/ neutrals are confused as to why their is such an anti-Barca sentiment, for me it's simple. I love football. I love good football. So when Barca of Ronaldinho era popped up looking unplayable, I loved it. They were fun, seemed nice enough and still tore it up. But I've watched Barca enough in important matches to know that they have been explicitly told to tactically cheat. It's how they rest, how they are able to press the way they do. And worse, despite all that talent and all that achievement their are outrageously self-righteous. Everytime you touch one of them they're demanding a yellow. Anytime you try to bring in the physical game they demand special protection of their 'special team'. Basically, anytime you don't show up and play the way Barcelona play, you are not playing football. It's hyperbole, it's boring and it's not true.

Barca should be the most loved team in the world. They have loveable Messi, reasonably loveable Pep and their most direct competitino has Mourinho, Pepe and Ronaldo. But I don't respect the way they play the sport, so f*ck em, I enjoy seeing their self-rightous asses sitting on the pitch wondering where it went wrong.

WTF seriously if it wasnt for teams like Barca I wouldnt watch football and neither whould most if you. Paint it how you want - the better team did not win and you only appreciate barca when you take the hate goggles off.

Infact I am sure you were waiting for the day that they failed to post that garbage. truly amazing.....

Last edited:
Their football is great but often misses the unpredictability of a Ronaldinho or the directness of Eto'o going forward.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

WTF seriously if it wasnt for teams like Barca I wouldnt watch football and neither whould most if you. Paint it how you want - the better team did not win and you only appreciate barca when you take the hate goggles off.

Infact I am sure you were waiting for the day that they failed to post that garbage. truly amazing.....
better team won? sorry mate thats not how sports work... the team that wins is the better team... sour grapes to look at it any other way...

I don't care if the better team wins. Usually i want upsets, major upsets.
I loved Napoli, Basel and Apoel this year.
I was over the moon when Monaco and Porto played the final.

I don't care if a team like Stoke play the long ball and the long throw in, IMO they are extremely clever (but be honest, some people who take Stoke as an example in this discussion have been saying that Rory Delap is not a football player).
i don't mind if the underdog parks the bus.
And to be fair i don't even mind if Chelsea park the bus (or Real saturday, it was much less obvious but Real also only defended, although they counter attacked more), but the reason i say football lost a litle bit is because an extremely expensive team parks the bus...here you have a team that is build with lots of money that plays like a championship team. That is what i don't like.

And beachryan: if Chelsea plays like that against Man Utd and wins you would be the first to complain. For those who are over the moon now, imagine Chelsea play that way against your favourite team and wins...

PS: bear in mind that i still think Chelsea had lots of merits, the fact that they went through is not undserved imo.

I think u start watching football from 2008-2009 right? Shame its time u start dont watch football anymore ;)

And beachryan: if Chelsea plays like that against Man Utd and wins you would be the first to complain. For those who are over the moon now, imagine Chelsea play that way against your favourite team and wins...

Don't think that's entirely fair. United tried to play football against Barca 3 years ago and got our a$$ handed to us. I was hoping Fergie would have learned and been more practical, but he tried to play football against them again last year and we got our a$$ handed to us again.

Was I proud of us trying to play good football and getting demolished in a CL final? Of course not. I wish we'd swallowed our pride and tried a gameplan that actually had a chance of working.

And Wigan basically parked the bus against United for the final 45 minutes in the United game two weeks ago and I was full of praise for them.

Don't get me wrong, if football weren't run by corrupt dinosaurs, all leagues would have a salary cap, forcing the quality gap down and in that case I would be critical of teams that showed no ambition. But Barca are a debt-ridden, talent-hoarding behemoth. As much as Abramovich has spent, how many of those Chelsea players would have gotten into the Barca side?

Chelsea had 2 options: Play expansive football and get beaten, or batten down the hatches and have a chance. Why do you begrudge them choosing the latter? When was the last time in an important game a team beat Barca by playing slick, possession football? It's been years!

but Barca basically bore teams to death. They force you to defend their meaningless possession, and when you finally get a bit complacent, then they try to beat the offside trap witha through ball.

Finally, if Barca fans/ neutrals are confused as to why their is such an anti-Barca sentiment, for me it's simple. I love football. I love good football. So when Barca of Ronaldinho era popped up looking unplayable, I loved it. They were fun, seemed nice enough and still tore it up. But I've watched Barca enough in important matches to know that they have been explicitly told to tactically cheat. It's how they rest, how they are able to press the way they do. And worse, despite all that talent and all that achievement their are outrageously self-righteous. Everytime you touch one of them they're demanding a yellow. Anytime you try to bring in the physical game they demand special protection of their 'special team'. Basically, anytime you don't show up and play the way Barcelona play, you are not playing football. It's hyperbole, it's boring and it's not true.

I think that is a big part of why I can not watch them play. I do not enjoy watching 10 men have a training session in the middle of the match. I myself get lulled to sleep just watching it. I can imagine the players sort of "waiting" then being caught completely off, I've done it playing sports when things slowed to a crawl many times.

And for that second bit, I've felt this way for a while, even their (very) strong center backs do this. Puyol is the first to barge someone off the ball, but if he gets muscled off it will seem like he was beaten off.

For the record I loved watching them with Ronaldinho/Eto'o, etc, I am just not a fan of this "ouch my leg has exploded!" unjust loss bullshit. Chelsea decided to stay back, defend and hit them on the counter, guess what they're in the final, Barca is not.

What a f'n game!! This is the real final!

2-1 and it could've been more. Real have been clinical again just like in the first game taking their chances. Bayern could've and should've scored a couple more. That open net miss by Robben at the beginning!! :SHOCK:

Luckily he's such a great and confident player that he then still wants to take the Free kick and Penalties and take people on and doing it very well.

Anything can happen in this 2nd half! Loving this! Great match! and I'm very confident either one of these two teams will beat Chelsea without much struggle in the final.

Great first half.
Bayern could have got 2 penalties, IMO if the ref gave that Allaba penalty, Pepe should have got one against him on the free kick right before half-time (but to be fair Robben dived, that was never a free kick).
Much better match than yesterday. This is indeed the final sina.

Gomez should have put this tie to bed, he could've had a hat-trick in both legs.

Bayern are going to rue his missed chances.

Unbelievable!! Gomez really should've finished it. You can't ask for a better chance! All you gotta do is FIRST time side foot the ball into the net as he's done ALL season!

On this one occassion, he tries to CONTROL the ball first for some reason on a pass he really didn't need to control.

Bayern have been the better team tonight even in Bernabeu. Since the first whistle, they've been the better team. More of the ball, more chances, more dangerous. And they were undoubtedly the better team in Munich as well where Ozil got that precious goal in a counter attack. Bayern could and should've won this already! Now let's see if they're made to pay for it in Extra time or penalties as football has a habit of being cruel like that. You don't take your chances and you're made to pay.

Pepe's antics continue to disgust people as usual.

ribery handled it good, in fact pepe felt ribery`s cautiousness. Great match ! every time robben has the ball you fear the worst. Munich hardly put the ball inside the box i thought Gomez is a airmen

Back
Top Bottom