Champions League 2010-11

nah Gerd, i still disagree on that. u make some good points, sure... but still remains the fact that the ref completely blew it.

u're right, if i were an arsenal fan, i would probably be more mad at van persie than at the ref.... infact, if i were an arsenal fan, i probably wouldn't even talk about the ref at all, because the final outcome (taking into account both legs) is pretty fair imo.
but i'm not an arsenal fan. i'm a neutral. and the only thing i cared about yesterday was enjoying a nice football match. and the ref completely destroyed the game with his decision.
and it wasn't van persie mate, no. it was the ref who did that. van persie got very close to lose his coolness yesterday and do something stupid (like de rossi did)... but he didn't. he didn't cross the line. so no it wasn't van persie's fault if the game was ruined. it was entirely the ref's responsibility.

and while i agree with u that we should cut some slack to the refs, that was not the case. that was just too much of a mistake from the ref.
refs are human and they make mistakes... they can't see everything that happens on the pitch (for instance i don't blame webb for not seeing de rossi's elbow) and they can't always make the right call in real time and under all the stress that comes with an important match.
but sending out a player in such an anticipated and balanced game, because he ignored the whistle is just too much of a mistake to be forgiven.
like i said, there's not a possible scenario where busacca's decision makes sense.
it doesn't matter if van persie heard the whistle or not... even if he did it on purpose, u do not compromise a game like this for such a silly irrilevant thing.
and it doesn't even matter if the ref already had a talk with van persie.... even assuming he warned van persie, sending him out for such a stupid reason is still a mistake, no matter what. he should have gone to van persie and talk to him again... or he should have gone to the captain and tell him to calm van persie down, for his own good.

as a ref, your main responsibility is to respect the game and make yourself as neutral and invisible as possible. try not to interfere with the course of the game.... so if a player makes a terrible tackle or elbows an opponent, yeah sure, u do what u have to do. but u don't send a player off for ignoring the whistle. that's just unacceptable.

don't get me wrong drekkard; like i said before, i'm not taking anyone's side here. i'm completely neutral. and i also believe the final outcome was an absolutely deserved victory for barça, especially when u take into account what happened in both legs.
the only thing i'm saying here is that it really pisses me off to see a ref having such a bad impact on a game. that's it :)

Last edited:
It wasn't directed at you at all Ben, don't worry. I do agree with you and gerd at the same time. Sounds strange, but it's what I feel.

Well Ben you also had some good points, but i still don't agree.
But maybe we should stop this discussion...it kind of taints Barcelona's victory...which was without a single doubt a well deserved one.

I hope Arsenal will win the title (but somehow i think they will not).

Well Ben you also had some good points, but i still don't agree.
But maybe we should stop this discussion...it kind of taints Barcelona's victory...which was without a single doubt a well deserved one.

yeah, u're right, Gerd. at the end of the day, what really matters, is "did the ref calls lead to an unfair final result?". and the answer to that question is clearely "no".
i just think the last 20 minutes of the game would have been so much more fun to watch, with 22 players on the pitch.

but full credit to barçelona. this team is absolutely breathtaking :WORSHIP:
drekkard said:
It wasn't directed at you at all Ben, don't worry. I do agree with you and gerd at the same time. Sounds strange, but it's what I feel.
u're a class act buddy.... as usual, afterall :BEER:

What about tonight friends?
Obviously i'm a Spurs fan, so i hope they can eliminate Milan, but i'm not so sure.
I hope Spurs will attack Milan this evening.
If they play defensive, they will loose...lately they get quite a few goals (lately 4 against Wolves for example) and i see Milan scoring goals...
Of course this is a typical fan reaction, but i'm rather pessimistic for tonight...Spurs have very good players...but i don't rate Redknapp very high.
I do hope that there will be no more incidents like at San Siro...maybe Joe Jordan should stay home...

I think Milan has serious problems in the creative mdifield, so if you press them a lot and play offensive, I don't see how Milan can get that one. They rely purely in inspiration of Ibra, Cassano or Pato (if he plays), but as a team they feel like "disconnected". They bloody need an anchor to their playmaking.

On the other side, Tottenham is playing quite well, but at the same time features monumental blackouts in deffense that can cost them a lot.

But I think the Spurs will pass.

I agree about Barcelona deserving to go through (What a Performance :SHOCK:) but after Arsenal made it 1-1 on the night (2-3) It would have been a sensational last 20 minutes, In the end the lack of no outball for Arsenal made Barcelona's goals inevitable (they may have come anyway but not so quickly)

Poor game, Modric and VDV were MIA but the two CB's were excellent and Sandro was awesome, not happy with the approach and the constant barrage of long balls but COYS!

Please God no Barca!!!

How annoying is Crouch elbowing every defender in the face? He got like 10 fouls like this.

Anyway, I didn't expect anything better from Milan. I even heard we are the first team to stop Spurs from scoring at WHL. That's impressive for this new Milan. Damn how our expectations sunk.

lo zio,

If you would of read(not worth it really ;P) every Arsenal fan in the community said "Barca were by far the better team " the only gripe was the ref was very harsh on the 2nd yellow. I was just shocked by Abidal choke hold on RVP and nothing being said.

Anyways cheers for your opinion :SAL:

I didn't see Crouch deliberately elbow anyone, he was penalized a number of times for fouls but he was also blatantly fouled on several occasions.

Spurs were lucky that they had to play an apathic Milan team (or that Milan missed quite a lot of players).
About Crouch: please give him a postfactum ban (which he would not deserve). IMO Spurs are better without him. With him their football is stereotypical...he is not a bad player, but i prefer Defoe or Pavel...
Sandro was immense yesterday, but Spurs were very poor. I think they were quite lucky to go to the next round.

Yep, I've never fancied Sandro in midfield, but he was absolutely superb.

Thought Seedorf was brilliant.

However that Milan strikeforce, sorry I don't rate at all, wouldn't take any of them in a lucky-bag. Not saw a lot of Pato, clips here and there, but as Shania Twain once said he don't impress me much, heard the commentators were saying his European form was getting called into question.

FD

Re: Re: Champions League 2010-11

Spurs were lucky that they had to play an apathic Milan team (or that Milan missed quite a lot of players).
About Crouch: please give him a postfactum ban (which he would not deserve). IMO Spurs are better without him. With him their football is stereotypical...he is not a bad player, but i prefer Defoe or Pavel...
Sandro was immense yesterday, but Spurs were very poor. I think they were quite lucky to go to the next round.
Agreed on everything there!

Crouch, god damn. I've never become so annoyed with a Spurs player as much as him this season. And it's partly Harry's fault for still playing him. He's a cushion-topped cactus and not much else.

Robinho was the one to blame. their was no one to connect the attack (was Robinho's job but its not his game) I think Cassano would have made a difference.

Robinho has been missing easy chances all season long in Serie A. Can't believe he was a good finisher in the EPL and at Santos.

He wasn't.

Robinho's never really been a good 'finisher'. Way too inconsistent.

He's always taken like 1 out of 4 chances he's got. It was more his dazzling ways and unnecessary step-overs and skills that made some notice him and hype him up to be better than he actually is.

Robinho is like George Best (maybe Best was a litle bit better, he had a few fantastic seasons): big talent, but not the right attitude.

I think his attitude has been very good with Milan, it's his ability. I think his abilities are overrated. He has great movement, stamina and acceleration, but his finishing is just awful.

He certainly doesn't have the professionalism and the right attitude but I'm with you on his actual abilities as well. They are simply over-rated and over-stated.

Bayer-Inter was a great match to watch.
What happened to Julio Cesar. It seems as if Brazilian keepers have one or two fantastic seasons and then start to make errors. Will Julio Cesar be the next Dida or is this just a coïncidence.
I kind of feel sorry for Bayern, because they were absolutely terrific in the first half, but they are very vulnerable defensive and in the end they were almost beaten by Eto'o alone...He played two absolutely outstanding matches against Bayern. IMO Eto'o is the best CF in the world at this moment.

Marseille could have won against Man Utd, but in the end they lacked something, like most French teams...i can't say that MUTD did not deserve to go through.

I hope Lyon does better this evening.

Wow, what a match at Munich. To me it was slightly undeserved by Inter in the overall, but when a team like Bayern wastes so many chances and you don't finish your enemy, then you're done.

Etoo was impressive as he usually is. I still don't get why we sold him, but anyway, I agree with Gerd, he's a machine. It's not the goals or assists, it's the workrate and the effort he puts in any match. What he lacks in skills he makes it in energy and determination.

And if he has to play as a right back, as he did last year here against Barcelona, he just go there and do it. Bravo Samuel!

Last edited:
Drekkard, my friend, only a Barcelona fan can say that Eto'o lacks skills...seeing Messi, Iniesta and Xavi playing every week gives you a special perspective.
To me (mere mortal) Eto'o is a skillfull player (look at what he did just before his assist for Pandev's goal...that was great). But i agree that he has not the skills some Barcelona players have...i still think Barcelona was a better player with him...he needed less chances to score...

Back
Top Bottom