Champions League 2009-10

I found Van Bommel extremely good today. Specially in the second half, I can't recall any bad pass by him, he was absolutely visionary and lead the team from the middle. Impressive screamer by Robben. I've said many times I can't understand why Madrid let go his best player (alongside Snejder).

It's a pitty Rooney wasn't fit and Ferguson put Rafael, who I think was the key in the negative aspect. Poor guy, he must be desolated. He wasted a clear chance and then got sent off in a childish way.

Anyway, I saw a clear penalty to Gomez by Vidic that the referee refused to see and an agression by Vidic that could have been a second sent off. And though Rafael red card was pivotal in the game, to me the most important man in this has been Olic. His 2 goals are something to show to the young players. You may not have the talent of Messi or Ronaldo, but if you fight and have heart and never give up, you can do important things.

Look at this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/alex-ferguson-manchester-united-bayern-munich

Ferguson says that Bayern are a lucky winner and he blames the Bayern players for tackling on Rooney and asking a second yellow for Rafaël.

He is such a bad looser.

About Rafaël: i must admit that i was shocked by the ref. He clearly had no intention to give a second yellow until the Bayern players asked for it. That is bad refereeing and also unfair behavior of the Bayern players (but i think 90% of all professional football players would do the same).

In all fairness, there are refs who would have give Rafaël a straight red card when he got a yellow. His foul could be considered as revenge and that is a red card (personally i don't think he wanted to take revenge, but that is also interpretation).

Were Bayern lucky? I'm not sure, they never gave up in what seemed a hopeless situation in both matches. They were also clearly the better team in the second half of both matches...a litle bit like Man Utd against Milan in the first match...

Reminded me of Beckham 98 the first yellow card. The poor lad will learn from this and im sure he'll become one of the best RB's in the world.

He was awesome before. Had Ribery under control and could still shine in the offense. One of the users here said in the ManU thread, that he should just "go away" ... I would welcome him with open arms! :)

last night on tv ,i heard only Bayern fans singing all the time,even the game was 3-1,very rare hearing Manu fans,same thing happen last weekend Arsenal-Barcelona game,90 minutes Barca-Barca-Barca,sounds like the game was in Spain not England,and Chelsea-Inter game was the same,whoever the English teams play in Champions Leauge,can be Olimpiyakos,Lyon,Porto,Hamburg,CSKA or any other team in the world,i dont know why we only hear away fans singing and not the English fans,The stadiums and teams are great in England,if the fans would be the great as much as their teams then it could be really a real hell for the away teams but with such a situation right now,its more than a paradise i think...did u notice the same thing too??

maybe English friends dont agree with this,dont want to make someone upset,its just my own thought

Last edited:
Look at this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/alex-ferguson-manchester-united-bayern-munich

Ferguson says that Bayern are a lucky winner and he blames the Bayern players for tackling on Rooney and asking a second yellow for Rafaël.

He is such a bad looser.

About Rafaël: i must admit that i was shocked by the ref. He clearly had no intention to give a second yellow until the Bayern players asked for it. That is bad refereeing and also unfair behavior of the Bayern players (but i think 90% of all professional football players would do the same).

In all fairness, there are refs who would have give Rafaël a straight red card when he got a yellow. His foul could be considered as revenge and that is a red card (personally i don't think he wanted to take revenge, but that is also interpretation).

Were Bayern lucky? I'm not sure, they never gave up in what seemed a hopeless situation in both matches. They were also clearly the better team in the second half of both matches...a litle bit like Man Utd against Milan in the first match...

Gerd, he actually blamed the Bayern players actions for getting Rafael sent off, not for us losing the match and as you just said, this is a fair comment. Be careful to check the quotes as the headlines are very misleading.

Sir Alex Ferguson responded to Manchester United's elimination from the Champions League last night by accusing Bayern Munich's players of resorting to underhand tactics, branding them "typical Germans" for what he saw as deliberate attempts to injure Wayne Rooney and persuade the referee, Nicola Rizzoli, to send off Rafael da Silva.

The above is a literal quote (paste and copy) of the first paragraph of the article jumbo...

Yeah that's what the journalist says. I watched the interview with Ferguson and I am looking at the quotes from him now. He said that the Bayern players influenced the referee and got him sent off (which you just agreed with in your first post), he said Rafael showed inexperience (this is obviously true) but that he had played really well (also true). He said that the sending off changed the game (most people seem to agree on this) and we were unlucky as we defended very well and conceded to a "fantastic strike" from Robben.

All he said about Rooney was "He had a couple of challenges and I don't think he got any protection" and that was when the interviewer said to him, "Did you think the Bayern defenders were targetting Rooney?"

The "typical Germans" comment was a silly thing to say, and I'm sure he knows that now but it was in the heat of the moment after a defeat and the underlying point behind the comment you already agreed was a fair point.

This happens all the time, his words are twisted and changed to make him sound like some evil, sore loser. It's no wonder he doesn't like talking to the press.

The goal was fantastic.

The celebration wasn't very good IMO.

He looked like he hurt his finger holding it up in the air :LOL:

i think he will say that the goal was "to hot" or something similar ;)

Yeah I know why he was doing what he was doing. But he couldn't make his mind up how to do it and if just looked odd. It looked like he was doing an impression of Joe Cocker.

But that's why we love footy you're right. The goals, the celebrations (whether they do them right or wrong ;))), the reactions, opinions etc etc.

Yeah I know why he was doing what he was doing. But he couldn't make his mind up how to do it and if just looked odd. It looked like he was doing an impression of Joe Cocker.

:LOL:
i knew he looked like someone famous in that celebration, but i just couldn't figure out who.

In my interpretation, i thought the celebration was towards Real Madrid and the fact that they sold him for not being "good enough" for real and the great sell the media published afterwards, etc etc. Kinda like an indirect "I don't understand, how could i score that yet im not good enough for Real and they are no longer here?".
But thats what i thought.

jumbo, i misunderstoor your first reply..i thought that you said that i misquoted the article...if you have heard the interview, then you know better than i...i'm sorry.

And yes:

What Bayern players did is unfair.
Rafaël played a great match.

But i don't understand why Bayern players should'nt tackle Rooney if United's medical staff thinks he can play (which he couldn't...)

Thought it was hilarious with SAF outburst, coming from Man U, who gang up on anyone on the field, the ref's are never left alone by a bunch of them when a decision is to be made for or against...............absolute laughable.

Thought the young lad was Rafael was doing a great job against Ribery, although tbh I don't see him week in and week out, but I've never been overly impressed with Ribery. Thought he did come into it as the game wore on. As someone already said I couldn't understand Real getting rid of Robben (and Sneijder - he's superb). Goal was a wonderstrike.

As for the ref, couldn't see anything wrong, I never saw the booking myself initially and as soon as I saw the pull on Ribery I thought 'booking', didn't know it was his second, but had to be. After seeing the replay of his first card, should've been sent-off.

As for Rooney getting kicked, no-one was near him when he hurt his ankle again, so god knows what they saw, just like the first game when SAF said the Bayern player caught him........................ ?

I love watching Barca, especially the main man on the planet Messi, but I hope Lyon win it or even Inter.

FD

The problem was the first booking for Rafael was a blatant foul for him and with frustration he got himself booked.

There are refs that would have given Rafaël a red for his first yellow, that was blatant revenge...some refs give a red card for revenge.

No worries gerd!

Thought it was hilarious with SAF outburst, coming from Man U, who gang up on anyone on the field, the ref's are never left alone by a bunch of them when a decision is to be made for or against...............absolute laughable.

It was hardly an outburst. Has been twisted and exagerrated into one though and all teams surround the ref. Look at Chelsea last season against Barca for example, they were all at it. Ballack even chased the ref down the pitch screaming at him, typical German. ;)

As for Rooney getting kicked, no-one was near him when he hurt his ankle again, so god knows what they saw, just like the first game when SAF said the Bayern player caught him........................ ?

You can't have watched it then as he went over on it during a challenge with Demichelis. Like I said before, after the ITV commentators had gone on about them kicking him for the whole of the first half, the interviewer asked Fergie whether he thought the Bayern players were purposefully targeting Rooney's injury and all he said was "He had a couple of challenges and I don't think he got any protection". That's all.

If the only pleasure you get from football is from another team losing, I suggest you're into the wrong thing.

Fact is jumbo that Ferguson IS a sore loser and a very ungracious winner. And this provokes reactions like the one Frank (FD) has...
I can't give yo many recent examples, because to be honest i don't follow United anymore.
But even at the time when i was a big United fan (and i was a very big United fan), i thought he was an extremely unfair manager.
I remember a goal which wasn't given but was clearly a goal (with Roy Carroll in goal). Everybody had seen the obvious, yet Ferguson refused to admit the obvious...that is unfiar to me.
Oh and this season every time (or mostly) when United loose Ferguson is moaning because referees don't give enough injury time...

There are times i still like United (the ovation for Beckham was great, i love Giggs,...) but Ferguson is a total prick. The club isn't what ir used to be, an,d that before the Glazier's takeover...youmust admitthat calling your stadion "Theatre of Dreams" is pretty ridiculous and pompous.

Sorry for the rant.

I agree he is a bad loser, but this is what makes him so successful as he is so determined not to lose. I can see why he can be abrasive to a non-United fan, but people should at least use their heads and think instead of being drip fed exaggerated/false/twisted information by the press which is what happens here.

He complains about injury time almost every time we lose? Really? I've watched every game and I can recall him saying it once this season, where he had a genuine case and then vaguely alluding to it again one other time but he certainly wasn't using it as an excuse. This is just another thing that has been exaggerated has become part of the caricature of Ferguson. You can't watch a match now with out the commentators mentioning 'Fergie Time' or getting little jokey digs like "Oh I'm not sure Sir Alex will be happy with that amount of time". The more and more they do this, the more people accept it as the truth, like you have yet the facts say otherwise and it's just stupid. It's tiresome and just plain lazy journalism/broadcasting at the end of the day but what do we expect from the standards we have in this country.

He's not a total prick, he has done many, many great things outside of football, I'm sure I can link you to some stories if you'd like to read them, but when it comes to football he plain hates losing and sometimes says things in the heat of the moment which are then picked up on, exaggerated, twisted and used to make stories to sell newspapers. Journalists are idiots, these guys aren't really here to offer genuine insight into the game using inside knowledge and higher intellect (at least the majority aren't). They just like to make a sensational headline to get people to read the paper, visit the website and make them money.

I know a couple of people here in Manchester who are older than you but they both used to follow United when they were younger but now don't as they can't stand SAF either, just like you so like I said I appreciate on the face of it he can be quite an unlikable character, but if you look at the situation from a broader angle, he's really not as bad as he is portrayed. He's very good at protecting his players by diverting attention/pressure and on top of that is still very passionate about the game we all love, having won it all and at the age of 68.

About the Theatre of Dreams, that was the board's decision and it's only a nickname, the stadium is called Old Trafford, it's just a stupid marketing thing, nobody really calls it that.

Last edited:
As a Bayern fan I can only say that I still respect SAF as an amazing coach. Immediately after the game the adrenalin is still up and can be an excuse for a low level comment, so no hard feelings there. That happens. Just like players run up to the ref calling for a card sometimes.
Ribery always gets pulled like crazy when he starts dribbling, it's not even funny anymore. So often the defending team gets away with it, yet he hardly ever complains. On that level, with the poor performance in the first half atop of that ... he just clicked. No biggie, right?

You can't have watched it then as he went over on it during a challenge with Demichelis. Like I said before, after the ITV commentators had gone on about them kicking him for the whole of the first half,

LOL..............that's pretty brilliant there, I didn't watch the match? Obviously you didn't, Demichelis would be the 6'5 Belgian centre half Van Buyten? :FAIL: Rooney got caught earlier with Demichelis, and also went into a full-bloodied challenge with a player, but he picked up his injury when him and Van Buyten went in for a ball, and Rooney actually stood on the guy's foot and went down holding his ankle.

As for SAF, great manager and I actually quite like him, but he comes out with some crackers, 'Typical Germans'? LOL.............how many Germans are actually in their team? Only Schweinsteiger was the only German involved in confronting the ref with a Dutch, French and Croatian. And as I said I've watched Keane, Ferdinand, Neville and Fletcher for starters go ape on the pitch with people. And as Gerd has already mentioned when they lose he always seems to come out with some drivel.

FD

I remember a goal which wasn't given but was clearly a goal (with Roy Carroll in goal). Everybody had seen the obvious, yet Ferguson refused to admit the obvious...that is unfiar to me.
Oh and this season every time (or mostly) when United loose Ferguson is moaning because referees don't give enough injury time...

I think that was Pedro Mendes a Portuguese player scoring for Spurs:

YouTube - Roy Carroll drops Mendes' shot over the line.

I agree he's a very sore loser. I think Uli Honess summed it up when he said that, after 1999, Bayern lost but lost with humility and grace and he asked why Ferguson can't have the same grace in defeat now. He may be a very good manager, but he is far from a gentleman - if you want role models of humility then it's better to look at Roy Hodgson.

The trouble with Fergie is his mantra consists of portraying Man Utd as eternal victims. He maintains that history, officialdom (Platini/FIFA/UEFA/ the FA etc) and public sentiment are against Man Utd, and (perhaps) uses this to motivate and bond the team.

But this can never be an excuse for remarks tinged with racism, which the "typical Germans" remark to my mind is. If he wanted to say that Ribery is unprofessional or immature to make the card gesture that would be one thing, but to taint Germans as a whole is very poor. And he has done it before being racist to the Italians:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...eree-comments-1797968.html?action=Popup&ino=5

Sadly in the UK there is a growing degree of ugly and unfouded anti European / Eastern European sentiment. It seems it's easy to take a cheap dig at the Germans or a cheap dig at Baltic people or Polish people. It really is racism and I am saddned that the manager of a high profile club is getting involved in this sort of behaviour.

Rooney got caught earlier with Demichelis, and also went into a full-bloodied challenge with a player, but he picked up his injury when him and Van Buyten went in for a ball, and Rooney actually stood on the guy's foot and went down holding his ankle.

:APPLAUD:

Barca 4 - 1 Arsenal. All four goals for Barca were scored by Leo Messi after Bendtner scored the first goal for Arsenal. Does it make any sense to ask who on this earth could possibly ever stop this guy?

jose_mourinho_981572c.jpg

Should really have been 2-2 that game. The third Inter goal was clearly offside and Barca should have had a blatent penalty, to book Alves for diving was a fucking ridiculous decision.

Back
Top Bottom