Celtic Thread

I think TB gets the drift to what I'm talking about here. :roll: At least I can say with some confidence that barring Henry & RVN he's better than any strikers at both their clubs. 8)

Anyway, your right CD, nothing seems to have been said last night about it, and not sure if the guy was maybe going by the papers and just wanting small-talk (he phoned the office to speak with his missus :mrgreen: and threw the comment in). Just seems bizarre, I could understand if he hadn't made his intentions clear, and obviously Newcastle are playing in a better league, but what he's going to isn't much change and as TB mentioned he's going to be in the cold (nothing new) and playing 50+ games. :eh: It's his choice, but I think he's kinda went back on his word and I'm sure he said he didn't have any intention of going to England, now he has. His attitude has changed and maybe his mind is thinking along those lines as his performances have been poor by his standards of late.

FD

Good to see we finally got Pearson, he looks a promising player, typical O'Neill type player can run all day up and down the park. I think he could do a job anywhere in the midfield, defensively/wide/or central.

FD

ClassicD said:
Liam Miller's off to Man Utd, signed a pre-contract deal. Wonder what sort of compensation we'll get for him.

From PA

'Celtic midfielder Liam Miller is on the verge of signing a pre-contract agreement with Manchester United. The 22-year-old Republic of Ireland man has impressed Sir Alex Ferguson after breaking into the first team at Parkhead this season.

An announcement is to be made in the near future but the news will come as a big disappointment to Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, who was just celebrating the imminent arrival of Stephen Pearson.

O'Neill had been in talks with the Cork-born youngster and his agent about his future. But the discussions have dragged on, with the player's current contract due to expire in the summer and United look to have moved just in time.'

If the contracts up why would you get anything, or do you take this as him coming now??

I did say we'd get him!!

Yes we get something, because he's only 22 and Celtic developed him from when he was 16 or something - compensation.

Bit of a strange one for me, he's only just broken into the first-team this year and has been on the bench for the past month or so. I know Man Utd are a big club but he'll probably be on the bench for a good few seasons at least, unless he's loaned out.

I should also say I was a bit too hasty, he's not signed yet he's "on the verge" of signing. Pre-contract won't do him much good though, he'll not kick a ball for the rest of this season...

ClassicD said:
Yes we get something, because he's only 22 and Celtic developed him from when he was 16 or something - compensation.

Bit of a strange one for me, he's only just broken into the first-team this year and has been on the bench for the past month or so. I know Man Utd are a big club but he'll probably be on the bench for a good few seasons at least, unless he's loaned out.

I should also say I was a bit too hasty, he's not signed yet he's "on the verge" of signing. Pre-contract won't do him much good though, he'll not kick a ball for the rest of this season...

Ah right, similar to what happened with Bellion, furry muff.

Nah he'll do okay for us, with so many young players getting alot of games these days he'll get his fair share, its just good to see a young team emerging.

If he follows the lead of our last few Irish players then we've got a winner :mrgreen:

He could be a very good player, at the moment he is only a prospect mind. He hasn't been able to get a start for us recently nevermind Man Utd.

tbh I'm a bit miffed at the boy himself, Celtic stuck by him when he had hamstring troubles for the last 2/3 years, when they could have easily booted him. He was also on TV after the Lyon game (I think) saying how he wants to stay at Celtic, etc. If he goes he hasn't done exactly covered himself in glory by the way he's gone.

Having said that I won't begrudge him, though there will probably be a large section that will.

ClassicD said:
He could be a very good player, at the moment he is only a prospect mind. He hasn't been able to get a start for us recently nevermind Man Utd.

tbh I'm a bit miffed at the boy himself, Celtic stuck by him when he had hamstring troubles for the last 2/3 years, when they could have easily booted him. He was also on TV after the Lyon game (I think) saying how he wants to stay at Celtic, etc. If he goes he hasn't done exactly covered himself in glory by the way he's gone.

Having said that I won't begrudge him, though there will probably be a large section that will.

Yeah abit like Fletcher he should be further on by now but from what ive heard with the right club he'll go far.

Just hope we're that club cos we need abit more paddy power in the team :mrgreen:

Your welcome to the little mercenary fucker. I hope he breaks his fucking leg, Celtic stick by him over the injuries, plays about 10 games and think's he's made it. He's been poor recently anyway, he did okay against Lyon as sub and did well at home to Anderlecht but some of his play in the other games has been very poor, giving away the ball cheaply.

He does have good ability, but to move to Man Utd I think won't do him any good, I don't personally think he's good enough and if anybody thinks they're getting the next Roy Keane believe me they're very much mistaken.

I wouldn't have minded a few years down the line him moving, but this is a disgusting act from a player who owed Celtic a lot for what they did for him.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Your welcome to the little mercenary fucker. I hope he breaks his fucking leg, Celtic stick by him over the injuries, plays about 10 games and think's he's made it. He's been poor recently anyway, he did okay against Lyon as sub and did well at home to Anderlecht but some of his play in the other games has been very poor, giving away the ball cheaply.

He does have good ability, but to move to Man Utd I think won't do him any good, I don't personally think he's good enough and if anybody thinks they're getting the next Roy Keane believe me they're very much mistaken.

I wouldn't have minded a few years down the line him moving, but this is a disgusting act from a player who owed Celtic a lot for what they did for him.

FD

Bit bitter there FD....

From what ive heard from Ireland (which is where I got the news we'd be getting him a few weeks back) is that its more a reflection on something thats happened at Celtic.

Not sure what this is yet but im sure it'll come to light soon.

Anyway FD just wish the young lad well FFS, he got an offer he couldnt refuse, what could he do :mrgreen:

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
fd1972uk said:

FD

Bit bitter there FD....

From what ive heard from Ireland (which is where I got the news we'd be getting him a few weeks back) is that its more a reglection on something thats happened at Celtic.

Not sure what this is yet but im sure it'll come to light soon.

Anyway FD just wish the young lad well FFS, he got an offer he couldnt refuse, what could he do :mrgreen:

15k a week for warming the bench???? :mrgreen:

Am I fuck, remember Alfe Inge, well I hope he's got a long lost cousin who takes a dislike to him.

Celtic have offered him an excellent offer, supposedly one of the best for a youngster in the club's history and make him one of Scotland's highest paid players. Sorry he's a mercenary, seasons of injury and then 16 first team starts and he's off.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Am I fuck, remember Alfe Inge, well I hope he's got a long lost cousin who takes a dislike to him.

Celtic have offered him an excellent offer, supposedly one of the best for a youngster in the club's history and make him one of Scotland's highest paid players. Sorry he's a mercenary, seasons of injury and then 16 first team starts and he's off.

FD

Errr okay then mate, but your contradicting yourself on one hand you say he's a mercenary but yet Celtic couldnt pay him enough to stay???

Its obvious its more to do with a problem at celtic rather than him being mercenary, maybe having a manager that has to extend his contract every season (and is constantly being linked with a move away) didnt help.....

What are you gibbering about? There talking between £15-£20k for a guy that's played 16 times for the team. He's a Merc, and I don't mean a fuckin motor.

I wouldn't have minded as much if he had played for a couple of years and then took this chance, but he's been riddled with injuries and then he jumps ship as soon as his contract is up. I just hope his hammy keeps up as it has done so often.

FD

fd1972uk said:
What are you gibbering about? There talking between £15-£20k for a guy that's played 16 times for the team. He's a Merc, and I don't mean a fuckin motor.

I wouldn't have minded as much if he had played for a couple of years and then took this chance, but he's been riddled with injuries and then he jumps ship as soon as his contract is up. I just hope his hammy keeps up as it has done so often.

FD

The same happened with Glen Johnson.

He went for a big sum of money fter only playing a few games for the hammers and his performances of late show that he wasn't ready.

If Liam Miller signs with ManYoo then so what. Although he has potential that is all, he struggles to go 70mins of a match never mind 90 all due to his hamstrings. He is 23 years old next month not really a youngster anymore?.
He was overhyped in the media and it seems Fergie believes the hype.
Young players come in and have a great impact as is so often seen when they break in to the first team a lot fade badly as Miller has.
Don't get me wrong I would have liked him to stay, but we have a superb young midfielder called Aiden McGeady in our ranks, and having seen him on a few occasions I think he will make a breakthrough next season.

Walk on

I'm not as 'aggressive' over this as FD seems, but I am in agreement with him. Liam Miller has played 16 games for Celtic (I think), and not all starts either. He had very bad hamstring trouble throughout his youth and the club stuck by him, when they could have easily released him and he'd have ended up washing the dishes back in Cork - no one knew a thing about him back then and no one would have signed him due to constant hamstring injury. He's turning down somewhere in the region of £15-20k a week to sign for Man Utd, where papers are saying he'll be on £25k a week but I doubt it's even that much.

He's repaid the club by jumping ship at the first chance he got. btw Vann, I think you don't need to pay a thing for him he's 23 next month and once you reach that age you no longer need to.

What will be interesting will be what MON does with him now, personally I think a LARGE chunk of the support will boo Miller vociferously if he's in the team at all. Personally I'd rather he left just now, I don't want someone here who'd rather be elsewhere, and if that's not possible then I want him in the reserves - he's made his intentions clear so Celtic have to move on.

On another note, it didn't take long before people (up here anyway) turned this into an anti-Celtic thing. Yesterday afternoon they kept replaying the commentary of Miller's goal against Anderlecht as "The moment Sir Alex knew he was a special player" on the radio. Suddenly now he's off the Scottish media are fawning over him. Then before the ink is dry Charlie Prickolas is on the radio bleating "If MON leaves Celtic have got some major major rebuilding to do". I wake up this morning to find the Retard (Daily Record for Vann) put on the front page how Tory leader Michael Howard has publicly said MON should leave us and go to Liverpool. Then inside the back pages they have Lou Macari saying how not many people can turn down Man Utd - if you're a Celtic man you wouldn't think twice. Finally we have some fat prick binman from Cork saying Celtic " don't show their top players enough respect".

Hunbelieveable. btw Vann MON is "constantly" being linked with a move away by the media up here (which the media down south then pick up on) as an attempt to undermine Celtic, everytime MON tells them to feck off and yet it's not long before another groundless, "A source said", report arrives. He's threatened legal action against them if it continues.

HAIL! HAIL!

Well young Miller, like Oshea and Keano is both a Celtic and United and with us having such a strong support across the water its no suprise that both these players we're on hand when he recieved "the Red carpert" treatment when he arrived a fortress carrington to sign.

He follows the footsteps of three other United greats who made the same journey south, Brian McClair, (Ferguson's second signing of his Old Trafford reign), Lou Macari and Paddy Crerand, all three are still at the clubin some capacity and are United thru and thru, (lol Crerand recently reduced The Mirrors resident ABU, Oliver Holt, to a nervous wreck).

If he's half as good as our other "man from cork" then i'll be a happy chappy :mrgreen:

A true Celtic fan is only a Celtic fan - not Celtic and someone else. Keano can stick it up his arse for all I care, why does he think Celtic fans would want him at the end of his current deal when he's in decline already? A real Celtic fan would have signed as soon as possible, and would never have left the club unless he wasn't in it's plans and had been told so.

ClassicD said:
A true Celtic fan is only a Celtic fan - not Celtic and someone else. Keano can stick it up his arse for all I care, why does he think Celtic fans would want him at the end of his current deal when he's in decline already? A real Celtic fan would have signed as soon as possible, and would never have left the club unless he wasn't in it's plans and had been told so.

Errr right okay then that rules out thousands of supporters you've got over in Ireland, funny that, ive sent that post over to a few people in Ireland who visit to watch both teams when possible, and suprsingly they disagree..........

Anyway amongst all thr propaganda that celtic are spweing out the lads agent puts his worth in.

Finton Drury

"The player left for a combination of reasons and money was but one aspect. It is a career decision and Manchester United were the only other club that Liam would have left Celtic for. In the end it was a choice between one of the best clubs in Britain and one of the greatest clubs in the world. The statements that Celtic are making about the financial situation are inaccurate and erroneous. But it is inevitable that when a club loses a player they don't want to lose suggestions are made that everything was done financially to keep him. It's the law of the jungle."

LOL!

You're saying it's ok to be a 2-team supporter? What, like Zico? :D :D :D. Why do I care what people in Ireland think? If they support 2 clubs then they're hardly real fans anyway.

His agent isn't going to be upset over a move is he? He's going to get a fair bit of $$$ for it as well.

Vann you can portray Celtic as the 'bad guys' all you want, fact is when people say stuff like this then go back on their word, fans have a right to be upset:

"Everything is great here, the fans, the players, everything. I am very happy here.
"There has been a lot of nonsense coming out in the papers, but this is the club I want to be at.
"Honestly, I wish I could say what I really think about all the rubbish that has been printed recently. But, all I can say is I am really happy here."

ClassicD said:
LOL!

You're saying it's ok to be a 2-team supporter? What, like Zico? :D :D :D. Why do I care what people in Ireland think? If they support 2 clubs then they're hardly real fans anyway.

His agent isn't going to be upset over a move is he? He's going to get a fair bit of $$$ for it as well.

Vann you can portray Celtic as the 'bad guys' all you want, fact is when people say stuff like this then go back on their word, fans have a right to be upset:

"Everything is great here, the fans, the players, everything. I am very happy here.
"There has been a lot of nonsense coming out in the papers, but this is the club I want to be at.
"Honestly, I wish I could say what I really think about all the rubbish that has been printed recently. But, all I can say is I am really happy here."

Im not portraying anyone as anything just balancing out the bitterness coming from the club and its fans like its anyone elses fault but there own they cant keep the star player (and if he wasnt why offer so much money??).

What happened to the "award" winning celtic fans lol.

You could also say the same bout' Henrikk he came out and said stuff and he now looks like he's going back on those statments, its called changing your mind, a persons perogative is that, it happens, get over it, its not like its gonna hinder your progress in your title hunt or uefa cup run.

I think that might just be the biggest lot of shite you've ever posted, and that's really saying something.

How is Larsson going back on any word? You're stirring up a serious amount of bullshit, because Bobby Robson says he's interested in him that's it? Deal done? Signed, sealed and delivered? Pull your head out of your arse!

How do you know how much Miller was offered? Oh it's your knowledge of the Scottish game again! You've not quite outdone your 'the OF fans are all bigots' post but you're not far off.

Why are we not allowed to be pissed off at the boy, because he's signed up for your team now? I won't deny he's a player with a lot of potential, but get a grip Vann, the FACT is he went back on what he said, that's called being two-faced.

ClassicD said:
I think that might just be the biggest lot of shite you've ever posted, and that's really saying something.

How is Larsson going back on any word? You're stirring up a serious amount of bullshit, because Bobby Robson says he's interested in him that's it? Deal done? Signed, sealed and delivered? Pull your head out of your arse!

How do you know how much Miller was offered? Oh it's your knowledge of the Scottish game again! You've not quite outdone your 'the OF fans are all bigots' post but you're not far off.

Why are we not allowed to be pissed off at the boy, because he's signed up for your team now? I won't deny he's a player with a lot of potential, but get a grip Vann, the FACT is he went back on what he said, that's called being two-faced.

Well for a start the OF fans I came across in glasgow and the chants I heard at Ibrox we're both appaling and completley irrelevant to what we we're there for as we're the badges worn on alot of lapels etc.

I also found the chants sung by the celtic fans visiting OT a few seasons back to be appalling considering the acts of terrorism carried out in Manchester and the North West.

Yes I shouldnt have generalised, but in both encounters I saw/heard first hand the bigotry I spoke about. If my generalisation offended you, I apologise, but you cant deny it exists.

And I didnt say I "know" how much Miller was offered but Celtic said they we're gonna make him one of the highest paid scottish players, so I took it from that.

Well you wallow in ya "pissed-off-ness", im sure you'll bounce back, you've also just signed a player that MON sounds very excited about so im sure you wont missed a player who doesnt wanna play for you's and according to you cant give 90mins anyway,

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Yes I shouldnt have generalised, but in both encounters I saw/heard first hand the bigotry I spoke about. If my generalisation offended you, I apologise, but you cant deny it exists.

And I didnt say I "know" how much Miller was offered but Celtic said they we're gonna make him one of the highest paid scottish players, so I took it from that.

Well you wallow in ya "pissed-off-ness", im sure you'll bounce back, you've also just signed a player that MON sounds very excited about so im sure you wont missed a player who doesnt wanna play for you's and according to you cant give 90mins anyway,

No I don't deny it exists, and that it's a poison on the game, but I was pointing out that you made a sweeping statement on the matter as a reference to your pish-talking frequency - but you've apologised and I think that's decent of you.

Celtic said they would have made him the best paid youngster who has come up through the ranks, not one of the best paid players in Scotland. I've heard the offer was around £9k p/w, rising to £27k over 3 years, but that's again just speculation. Money doesn't mean anything if you're a Celtic fan playing for Celtic, which is what Miller was giving it not long ago, again that's what's made the fans bitter.

Fair play to Man Utd on this btw, I'm not having a go at them, just the player.

And I think it was FD who mentioned can't give 90 mins, wasn't me anyway.

ClassicD said:
No I don't deny it exists, and that it's a poison on the game, but I was pointing out that you made a sweeping statement on the matter as a reference to your pish-talking frequency - but you've apologised and I think that's decent of you.

Celtic said they would have made him the best paid youngster who has come up through the ranks, not one of the best paid players in Scotland. I've heard the offer was around £9k p/w, rising to £27k over 3 years, but that's again just speculation. Money doesn't mean anything if you're a Celtic fan playing for Celtic, which is what Miller was giving it not long ago, again that's what's made the fans bitter.

Fair play to Man Utd on this btw, I'm not having a go at them, just the player.

And I think it was FD who mentioned can't give 90 mins, wasn't me anyway.

Right fair enough mate, didnt wanna get into a slanging match, waste of energy all round, and i'll be having a word with whoevers in my thread winding you up, or trying to anyway.

Back
Top Bottom