Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3

After a few games, i think i prefer battlefield to this, the maps involve no tactical thoughts what so ever, its just run and gun. The whole giving it balance thing doesn't even exist either. After cod 4, i've only seen a downfall in the franchise.

Reviews:

• OXM UK: 9/10 - Like it or not, it's heartening to know that the most popular game on the Xbox 360 is also one of the best.
  • Edge: 9/10 - Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare trilogy stands as this generation's defining FPS series - and Modern Warfare 3 is an emphatic, feature-packed and sometimes stunning final act.
  • OXM: 9.5 - When everything here is this well-executed and offers so many enduring thrills, it's hard to knock it too much. MW3 absolutely delivers.
  • GamesRadar: 9/10 - If you're looking for a new kind of shooter, look elsewhere. Modern Warfare 3 succeeds by doing more - much, much, much more - of what's always worked spectacularly for the series. We still can't get enough.
  • Guardian: 5/5 - The Infinity Ward engine is far from cutting edge - the overall look of the game has not moved on enormously since MW2. But the vision, the choreography, the sense of scale and detail - they are awe-inspiring at times.
  • Telegraph: 5/5 - Modern Warfare 3 is a shining example of refinement and improvement. It's familiar, sure, but here familiarity doesn't breed contempt, just respect and reward for those who've dedicated so much time to the series. And for new players, it's the perfect starting point, more accommodating and encompassing than ever.
  • AusGamers: 9.6/10 - Don't go hating on this because it's Call of Duty. This is Modern Warfare 3 - the final chapter in an epic tale, and part of a series that changed the first-person shooter landscape forever. It's an absolutely solid title, the best entry in the series and something that should keep you playing for some time to come. More than worth the investment.
  • Destructoid: 9.5/10 - Whether you like what it does is a matter of personal taste, but the skill and experience brought to the table is hard to refute. Modern Warfare 3 gets it done, and it gets it done damn well.
  • GameTrailers: 9.3/10 - If you're expecting a huge departure from what's come before you'll be disappointed, but fans will get exactly what they're looking for. World War III shouldn't be this fun.
  • 1UP: A- - I'm glad to say the multiplayer remains addicting and is more balanced than ever.
  • VideoGamer: 9/10 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 doesn't do anything new, but it also doesn't do anything wrong. For better or worse, this is a slick and well-metered trio of modes that make an entertaining package, but Sledgehammer Games and Infinity Ward are simply looking to augment previous games rather than expand the series into pastures new
  • Joystiq: 4.5/5 - Modern Warfare 3 is a great Call of Duty game, just as every other entry in the franchise is a great Call of Duty game. However, it shares more than quality with its predecessors - it, like its forefathers, leaves you waiting for something perfect.
  • IGN: 9/10 - Despite its flaws, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 takes the fantastic series we've come to love over the years and iterates on it with great success. The multiplayer is hands-down the best it has ever been, with more features, more modes and a ton of new levels and ways to interact via Call of Duty Elite. The singleplayer campaign and Spec Ops mode add value to the overall package, creating something that may not be perfect, but is too damn addicting to pass up.
  • GameInformer: 9/10 - When it comes down to it, Modern Warfare 3 meets expectations. The core elements of multiplayer and the campaign remain fundamentally unchanged, but the game serves as a great example of how many subtle tweaks can add up to an improved overall product.
  • GameSpot: 8.5/10 - This is some of the best online shooter action around, and with the daunting challenges of Spec Ops and the exciting, globe-trotting campaign, Modern Warfare 3 stands tall as another great descendant of the game that changed a generation.
  • GiantBomb: 4/5 - Modern Warfare 3 feels split between the great excitement of its time-tested multiplayer and the feeling that this whole style of game has just gotten old.
  • Eurogamer: 8/10 - That the single-player story brings the Modern Warfare saga to a fairly definitive end is, then, cause for celebration. Whatever next year's entry brings, some measure of reinvention will be essential. For now, its exuberant blend of testicular bravado and blockbuster gloss ensures that Call of Duty retains its crown as the shooter genre's biggest, boldest rollercoaster ride for at least one more year.

I guess the positive i can take out of call of duty is the fact i got it for £42 with 2100 ms points

Reviews mean nothing these days, look at the reviews black ops got and that is the worst in the series.

Last edited:
After a few games, i think i prefer battlefield to this, the maps involve no tactical thoughts what so ever, its just run and gun. The whole giving it balance thing doesn't even exist either. After cod 4, i've only seen a downfall in the franchise.

thats my issue with nearly all fps games like COD. THere is only so much you can do, run and shoot, run and shoot.

BF series offers so much more variety in gameplay and tactics. Plus destrutible envirnoments, extra calsses, points for squad actions

I wasn't so sure of that mode from the trailers but after playing it, it's one of my favourites. A big reason is how it punishes random grenade throwing kills/noob tubers and camping snipers. They'll kill you from a mile away and then no doubt cry into their headsets as your team mate once again picks up your tags to deny the kill.

Reviews:

• OXM UK: 9/10 - Like it or not, it's heartening to know that the most popular game on the Xbox 360 is also one of the best.
  • Edge: 9/10 - Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare trilogy stands as this generation's defining FPS series - and Modern Warfare 3 is an emphatic, feature-packed and sometimes stunning final act.
  • OXM: 9.5 - When everything here is this well-executed and offers so many enduring thrills, it's hard to knock it too much. MW3 absolutely delivers.
  • GamesRadar: 9/10 - If you're looking for a new kind of shooter, look elsewhere. Modern Warfare 3 succeeds by doing more - much, much, much more - of what's always worked spectacularly for the series. We still can't get enough.
  • Guardian: 5/5 - The Infinity Ward engine is far from cutting edge - the overall look of the game has not moved on enormously since MW2. But the vision, the choreography, the sense of scale and detail - they are awe-inspiring at times.
  • Telegraph: 5/5 - Modern Warfare 3 is a shining example of refinement and improvement. It's familiar, sure, but here familiarity doesn't breed contempt, just respect and reward for those who've dedicated so much time to the series. And for new players, it's the perfect starting point, more accommodating and encompassing than ever.
  • AusGamers: 9.6/10 - Don't go hating on this because it's Call of Duty. This is Modern Warfare 3 - the final chapter in an epic tale, and part of a series that changed the first-person shooter landscape forever. It's an absolutely solid title, the best entry in the series and something that should keep you playing for some time to come. More than worth the investment.
  • Destructoid: 9.5/10 - Whether you like what it does is a matter of personal taste, but the skill and experience brought to the table is hard to refute. Modern Warfare 3 gets it done, and it gets it done damn well.
  • GameTrailers: 9.3/10 - If you're expecting a huge departure from what's come before you'll be disappointed, but fans will get exactly what they're looking for. World War III shouldn't be this fun.
  • 1UP: A- - I'm glad to say the multiplayer remains addicting and is more balanced than ever.
  • VideoGamer: 9/10 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 doesn't do anything new, but it also doesn't do anything wrong. For better or worse, this is a slick and well-metered trio of modes that make an entertaining package, but Sledgehammer Games and Infinity Ward are simply looking to augment previous games rather than expand the series into pastures new
  • Joystiq: 4.5/5 - Modern Warfare 3 is a great Call of Duty game, just as every other entry in the franchise is a great Call of Duty game. However, it shares more than quality with its predecessors - it, like its forefathers, leaves you waiting for something perfect.
  • IGN: 9/10 - Despite its flaws, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 takes the fantastic series we've come to love over the years and iterates on it with great success. The multiplayer is hands-down the best it has ever been, with more features, more modes and a ton of new levels and ways to interact via Call of Duty Elite. The singleplayer campaign and Spec Ops mode add value to the overall package, creating something that may not be perfect, but is too damn addicting to pass up.
  • GameInformer: 9/10 - When it comes down to it, Modern Warfare 3 meets expectations. The core elements of multiplayer and the campaign remain fundamentally unchanged, but the game serves as a great example of how many subtle tweaks can add up to an improved overall product.
  • GameSpot: 8.5/10 - This is some of the best online shooter action around, and with the daunting challenges of Spec Ops and the exciting, globe-trotting campaign, Modern Warfare 3 stands tall as another great descendant of the game that changed a generation.
  • GiantBomb: 4/5 - Modern Warfare 3 feels split between the great excitement of its time-tested multiplayer and the feeling that this whole style of game has just gotten old.
  • Eurogamer: 8/10 - That the single-player story brings the Modern Warfare saga to a fairly definitive end is, then, cause for celebration. Whatever next year's entry brings, some measure of reinvention will be essential. For now, its exuberant blend of testicular bravado and blockbuster gloss ensures that Call of Duty retains its crown as the shooter genre's biggest, boldest rollercoaster ride for at least one more year.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/881144-reviewing-review-scores-midweek-feature

I believe that to be a fantastic and true insight into the true nature of video game ratings for games like this. MGC is one of the less overly positive sources too.

All this MW3 talk makes me want to play MW1.

Last edited:
I wasn't so sure of that mode from the trailers but after playing it, it's one of my favourites. A big reason is how it punishes random grenade throwing kills/noob tubers and camping snipers. They'll kill you from a mile away and then no doubt cry into their headsets as your team mate once again picks up your tags to deny the kill.

how so?

is it true there is no hardcore free for all this year?
It is true, yes

How does Kill Confirmed work?
"Kill Confirmed" requires players to collect floating dog tags from the corpse of a downed enemy before the kill can be registered. However, the opposing team can pick up the dog tag as well to deny the other team of a kill.

For the above reason! You need to collect dog tags.

It is true, yes

"Kill Confirmed" requires players to collect floating dog tags from the corpse of a downed enemy before the kill can be registered. However, the opposing team can pick up the dog tag as well to deny the other team of a kill.

For the above reason! You need to collect dog tags.

So you dont get any kills or points for killing people unless you collect their dogtag? What if you sinper someone. YOu have to walk other side of map and collect dogtag?

Hwo do you collect? press x or just walk over it etc?

Is this all game modes or an option?

F**king NAT is driving me up the wall. Cant join any friends game cos I'm 'Strict'.

Tried DMZing and Port Forwarding, but nothing. So annoying. On BT HomeHub3 if anyone can help please :(

So you dont get any kills or points for killing people unless you collect their dogtag? What if you sinper someone. YOu have to walk other side of map and collect dogtag?

Hwo do you collect? press x or just walk over it etc?

Is this all game modes or an option?

if it's true, it's the most stupid thing in any multiplayer game i've ever heard of.

F**king NAT is driving me up the wall. Cant join any friends game cos I'm 'Strict'.

Tried DMZing and Port Forwarding, but nothing. So annoying. On BT HomeHub3 if anyone can help please :(

What ports did you forward? And for your actual consoles IP?

You could make it an exception at worse comes, so it's outside of the routers firewall etc.

*edit*Also have you checked that your UPnP is enabled?*edit*

Last edited:
Ok guys - looking for some advice here. What's a good series of games to play? I've played COD 4 and thought it was good as a break from football games and Formula 1, which I normally play. I liked Tomb Raider and Hitman a few years ago on PC.

I was thinking of Assassin's Creed as I heard it's good. I don't mind shooters/action etc but I prefer something a little bit human and nothing with just fantasy creatures lol. Is there anything else worth having a go at? Older games included. Splinter Cell, Hitman 2 and 3?

Ok guys - looking for some advice here. What's a good series of games to play? I've played COD 4 and thought it was good as a break from football games and Formula 1, which I normally play. I liked Tomb Raider and Hitman a few years ago on PC.

I was thinking of Assassin's Creed as I heard it's good. I don't mind shooters/action etc but I prefer something a little bit human and nothing with just fantasy creatures lol. Is there anything else worth having a go at? Older games included. Splinter Cell, Hitman 2 and 3?

pc or ps3.

Sure assasin creed 2, brotherhod and revloutions on pc or ps3

If ps3 I recommend unchartedd 1,2,3 based on your tastes.

Perhaps MGS4 ps3 also.

Just cause 2 is a fun game but maybe not serious enough or linear enough based on your previous prefernces. As with GTA or saints row games.

Shooters are a dime a dozen take your pick from 100s, crysis series, metro 2033, mafia 2, fear, singulairty.

Perhaps mirrors edge, I enjoyed it but more platform/jumping than guns.

Alpha Protocol, slated by mnay but simialr to hitman games.

I'm on Xbox 360. Protocol - never heard of it but might check it out. I like TV shows like 24 so something that's part story part action with some shooting will do the job lol. Never played GTA but maybe I should.

I did play the Godfather but didn't like having to wait around too long while things happened.

What ports did you forward? And for your actual consoles IP?

You could make it an exception at worse comes, so it's outside of the routers firewall etc.

*edit*Also have you checked that your UPnP is enabled?*edit*

Yup, done all that - really annoying!

This worth getting?

Its LITERALLY MW2. Its a good game, really good - but honestly, its almost impossible to tell the difference. They've even used all the same assets in the menus, scoreboards etc.

Difficult - if you loved MW2 and dont have it any more, and you can trade in something to reduce price of MW3 then get it.

I'd recommend trying out the Gears of War series. GOW 1 and 2 can be picked up for literally £5 each, can't get better value than that. GOW 3 has not long been released but you could hold off getting that until you've tried the other two first :)

Battlefield 3 is brilliant for online gaming too.

I think I'll give this a miss though, if it's just MW2 repackaged then I'll get bored of it pretty fast.

Awful multiplayer, just awful. Compared to BF3, this is just garbage really. Tiny maps, people throwing grenades randomly, quick-scoping, bunny jumping, camping, a mess.

I'm sure I'll enjoy SP and Special Ops but MP is terrible.

Awful multiplayer, just awful. Compared to BF3, this is just garbage really. Tiny maps, people throwing grenades randomly, quick-scoping, bunny jumping, camping, a mess.

I'm sure I'll enjoy SP and Special Ops but MP is terrible.

Totally agree Daz. within minutes last night, I was racking up biggish scores on MW3, where on BF3 I was really struggling (which is right).

I do quite like MW3 for a bit of quick arcadey run and gun, but BF3 is leaps and bounds ahead I'd say. Looks so much better than MW3 its embarrassing and has a much deeper gameplay experience.

I was pretty shocked playing MW3 for the first time last night, its like "where has all the time been spent?"

Back
Top Bottom