Battlefield 3

COD is about as casual as it gets these days. It used to be a really decent war sim back on the PS2, and even early on this gen, but now it's just an arcade, brain-dead shooter, played by kids or blokes who have no interest in gaming outside COD.

For me the series took a turn for the worse after COD3 when kill-streaks, perks and customisable weapons were first introduced. COD3 was the best of the bunch online in my opinion, it was so much more simple with four classes of soldier, each with preset weapon load-outs. I had so much fun with that game. It's simplicity was it's strong point.

Yes this is correct and i agree IMO.

COD4 was an OK game. it was ok because it blended new features like killstreak etc but the thing is, after a few months, i got bored of it and tired of teh kill streak rubbish.

FPS these days should be more then just run and gun. consoles and pc's are capable of much more then that.

for me, run and gun is old school gaming in fps. think of unreal tournament and quake games. pure run and gun.

COD is a game i would play on my mobile device i.e a quick 5min casual game on the go.

What annoys me the most about the COD series now is that it's a run and gun game masquerading as a game with a lot of depth and it's fans happen to be the most annoying (non-critical thinking) people in gaming (next to the fifa casuals that is). Mainly because they cannot see what sucks about it and in my experience even if they can they just go along with it anyway. It shouldn't be understated that COD rewards almost anybody, it's struck a good balance there i can see why it's a gratuitous game and even people with no skill can enjoy it and master it almost instantly (much like Fifa).

I actually liked COD4. Though it is dumbed down, it is nowhere near as dumbed down as the subsequent games. Hell they had recoil way back when unlike now. It is a shame about the M16, M40, instant knifing, Stopping power/juggernaut and constant grenades being thrown because they're the only things that really stood out as negative about the online multiplayer.

The franchise has had a subsequent effect on the industry too with so many FPS game trying to emulate it and hope for the same level of success - which has in effect saturated the next gen consoles with a lot of FPS games all hoping to be the next COD. Almost no innovation has gone into the FPS genre in the past couple of years and it's a shame because the only people who suffer are those that don't like COD in the first place.

Have to wait to see if BF3 goes the same way, they surely know how many sales they'll get if it ends up being the new COD. I have to ask why they would fight it? It looks big budget (certainly bigger than both Bad Company games) and i don't know why EA would want to not sell it to the biggest FPS market in modern times - Cod fans in a bid to make as much money as is possible. Am i the only person thinking that the console versions will be dumbed down versions of the PC game made to appeal to the already established console FPS market?

Last edited:
Obviously COD in it's current form has mastered the 'run-and-gun' FPS style of game and very much has it's place in the market. The sales figures don't lie. However, the COD franchise has moved away from what I originally enjoyed it for. I remember playing the original Call of Duty: Finest Hour and the follow-up Call of Duty 2: Big Red One on the PS2 (before online play) and loving the premise of being an ordinary soldier thrown into these epic battles from WWII. The single player campaigns were really engrossing. Now they just feel like big-budget hollywood action hero movies, lurching from one over-the-top set piece to the next. And as online play has become more and more important I think the series has got steadily worse.

I think COD has passed me by. It's now a game made for kids and/or adults of low attention span and/or intelligence. Sorry if that's harsh but that's how the game feels to me.

I used to love the Brothers in Arms series, which attempted to introduce tactical play to the console FPS genre with simple things like suppressive/covering fire, squad orders and flank attacks. Unfortunately they never sold particularly well.

I'm a little worried for the Battlefield series in all honesty. Being an EA game they will obviously want to eat into COD's fanbase. To do that they have to appeal to that fanbase, which could well mean a dumbing down of the online experience. Of course BF:BC2 certainly cannot be labelled a war sim, but it strikes a nice balance between accessible arcadiness and a more thoughtful, tactical experience.

Obviously COD in it's current form has mastered the 'run-and-gun' FPS style of game and very much has it's place in the market. The sales figures don't lie. However, the COD franchise has moved away from what I originally enjoyed it for. I remember playing the original Call of Duty: Finest Hour and the follow-up Call of Duty 2: Big Red One on the PS2 (before online play) and loving the premise of being an ordinary soldier thrown into these epic battles from WWII. The single player campaigns were really engrossing. Now they just feel like big-budget hollywood action hero movies, lurching from one over-the-top set piece to the next. And as online play has become more and more important I think the series has got steadily worse.

I think COD has passed me by. It's now a game made for kids and/or adults of low attention span and/or intelligence. Sorry if that's harsh but that's how the game feels to me.

I used to love the Brothers in Arms series, which attempted to introduce tactical play to the console FPS genre with simple things like suppressive/covering fire, squad orders and flank attacks. Unfortunately they never sold particularly well.

I'm a little worried for the Battlefield series in all honesty. Being an EA game they will obviously want to eat into COD's fanbase. To do that they have to appeal to that fanbase, which could well mean a dumbing down of the online experience. Of course BF:BC2 certainly cannot be labelled a war sim, but it strikes a nice balance between accessible arcadiness and a more thoughtful, tactical experience.

my sentiments. i feel that BF3 will be COD with vehicles. i dont think this game will surpass BF2 in terms of gameplay.

I think for anyone who is interested in a war sim, they should really try Arma 2.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037216823&postcount=30

After playing that game, it craps all over BF2 im afraid. BF2 was a great game but Arma 2 is on a whole new level.

For me, if BF3 is not as good as BF2, i wont bother. i know already that for this game, i dont expect it to be better then Arma 2

Yep, as long as EA keep the servers switched on for Bad Company 2 then I'm happy playing that for another year or two if BF3 is just a COD clone.

COD is about as casual as it gets these days. It used to be a really decent war sim back on the PS2, and even early on this gen, but now it's just an arcade, brain-dead shooter, played by kids or blokes who have no interest in gaming outside COD.

For me the series took a turn for the worse after COD3 when kill-streaks, perks and customisable weapons were first introduced. COD3 was the best of the bunch online in my opinion, it was so much more simple with four classes of soldier, each with preset weapon load-outs. I had so much fun with that game. It's simplicity was it's strong point.

I have to admit I loved COD4 on PS3, in comparison to MW2 and BO it was far more toned down in perks & killstreaks, plus weapons had more recoil etc and needed more practice to use well. Most importanlty, which relates a bit to BF games, is that (with the exception of a couple of maps) most of the maps were brilliantly laid out, so that team deathmatches still felt very much like one team on one side of the map was battling agaisnt the team on the other side. The later COD games have just catered in their map layouts, perks, weapons etc for those who love running non-stop shooting as they sprint, with no sense of having team-mates alongside you.

Having team-mates to back you up is something that feels so brilliant in BF, so to find this series was the natural progression for many of us since COD went in the other direction.

Let's just hope though that DICE veer drastically away from Medal of Honor, which really was COD in BF clothes. It had the same dynamics of one team battling against the other, but killstreaks and overpowered guns made it a bit of a farce to be honest. All you had were snipers performing one shot kills no matter where they hit you with no bullet drop, racking up 50 kills in one match and raining in unstoppable airstrikes all over the place.

I'm aprehensive but can't see this becoming a COD clone with vehicles. Surely by now they fully understand that this game series is becoming more and more popular since Bad Company 2 precicely because it's different. I wouldn't pay any attention to the videos as far as MP is concerned, even BC2 single player played similarly to COD single player, MP is completely different.

Last edited:
I agree, the original Modern Warfare was an excellent game, both in single player and online. At least it had a more realistic feel to it with good maps. But it was unfortunately the spring-board for what COD has become.

BF:BC2 feels to me like the game MW2 should have been.

I personally prefer the Modern Warfare games to COD, but still love them both.

Seems that Operation Flashpoint is quite good as it isn't so much shooting everything that moves like a mad thing and also no regeneration and stuff, 1 bullet can kill you. Believe that's where the dudes came from that make Arma.

FD

Fuck me, that's absolutely stunning! Hope it's the same quality for the console versions.

After a long wait, we finally had some time with the multiplayer part of Battlefield 3 earlier today. The map showcased was Operation Metro, which was set in Paris and offered urban combat and some tense action in a subway. We tried out most of the classes and tried as many things as possible. Here are our first impressions of the game:

•The game looks fantastic. Runs smooth, the lighting and details, the shadows are spectacular, whether indoor or outside. We dunno what hardware it was running on, but BF3 is absolutely gorgeous.
•After you die, a screen pops up that shows the custom dog tag and rank of the enemy that killed you — great little detail.
•Teams were USMC and Russians.
•Prone is back, it feels like it takes a second or so to go prone. Not too fast, not too slow, just right.
•The map offered a lot of variety: you can enter lots of buildings, go up to the second floor, camp etc. We already saw a few campers who loved the new buildings.
•Destruction is extensive and a lot more detailed. Even shooting a wall looks amazing in BF3.
•Weapons feel and sound like Bad Company 2 (on first impression), meaning they feel and sound fantastic.
•Player animations are far better than Bad Company 2 and other Battlefield games. Very fluid and lifelike, almost as if you are watching someone run in real life.
•The scoreboard looks a lot simpler than in Bad Company 2. We dunno if it was finalized or just alpha.
•We had a few awards pop up during the game (ribbons) which looked a lot like those in BF2.
•No commo rose. It wasn’t bound to the “Q” button. We looked, couldn’t find it anywhere.
•You can op-out of being revived.
•There is a health bar, but regenerative health is back.
•You can select fire mode (e.g. single shot, full auto etc.)
•4 players per squad, squad leader is indicated by a star. Squads work pretty much like in Bad Company 2, and you still get squad point bonuses.
•In support, you can use an M4 with a flashlight.
•You can mount LMGs on the ground and on most surfaces, but the gun can only pan approximately 90 degrees to left and right, which feels realistic.
Overall, we were impressed by what we saw. The game felt very solid and polished, despite being in “alpha” stage. We’ll upload some photos of the Battlefield 3 booth later today when we get back to the hotel, and we’ll try to get some interviews with DICE tomorrow.

some info

Graphics are great but as always with all FPS you're an Army of one.
The tank mission shows that you have to do everything.

•There is a health bar, but regenerative health is back.

Surely hope this isn't the case in Hardcore Mode!

Does anyone have some links to download the trailers from Battlefield 3 at E3 in high quality? Would really appreciate it.

Surely hope this isn't the case in Hardcore Mode!

Does anyone have some links to download the trailers from Battlefield 3 at E3 in high quality? Would really appreciate it.

There's no way regenerating health will be effective in hardcore mode.

Back
Top Bottom