Battlefield 3

DICE: Using PC as BF3 lead platform is “helping us make a better console game”

Battlefield 3 executive producer Patrick Bach is of the belief that consoles are holding development of PC games back, due to what he feels is an outdated focus by other developers.

Speaking in an interview over on Nvidia’s GeForce website, Bach believes using consoles as the lead platform in development is the “biggest problem we have today.”

“Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something,” he said. “I don’t know why. That was the truth five years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this.

“So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We’re doing it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles.”

Bach said that by using PC as Battlefield 3′s lead platform, console versions of the game will look better as well.

“In theory you could argue that you’re building it for a more powerful platform and that it will look crappy on consoles. That’s not the case because when you build the target high, you can then pick and choose from the target and ask what actually creates this picture and then pick the best things from that and turn that into your console solution.

“The other thing that is very interesting is that since you’re building the engine based on the knowledge that you will release it on the consoles, you actually streamline the whole technology to be able to scale back to the weaker platforms. So in the end, by, you know, painting this high-end target, you actually set a new bar and then when you scale it back.

“I think people will be surprised to see how good it looks on the consoles. We can’t show it right now, because we’re aiming to use the PC to set the bar, but it’s actually helping us make a better console game.”

Whats teh one thing in common about GOW3 and uncharted 2??
i'l tell u. they was ps3 exclusives.

Point is, to get the very best out of a system, the game should be made for that system only. When you make a game and want it to run on any console, you suffer a bit.

This is one of the reasons why many pc fans dont like to see BF3 coming out on consoles because it will effect the quality of the product.

Lets wait and see. a half arsed BF3 is stil a million times better than COD.

Can you read?

It doesn't sound like the PC version is going to suffer as such but if you're suggesting that they might have to hold back a bit, because as the article says PC is way ahead of consoles technically, then it may be a valid point. I can see what he's saying. PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 are all pretty different in terms of what they can produce. To focus on just one would be a lot easier for the development and focus for what they want to achieve. The article sounds like they're specifically focusing on PC though. So then what of the console ports, who knows what they're going to be like. There's even speculation in this thread as to whether things will be able to be included in the console versions compared to the PC version.

The only thing we know for certain is that it's on multiple consoles and therefore the PS3 version will suffer ;).

Last edited:
Watching the video again and the AI doesn't look competent at all, the bit where the soldier chucks a grenade...

Yep! Nah, just so happens that I might get BF3 and you posted in here (the same PC cack as per norm) and then you are talking crap in the football threads so responded ;)
hehe you should get this game. it will bum rape COD any day of the week

They had better not have :circle: as the disarm button and weapon pick up.

Regen health?
Will medics be necessary?
Can i just run and gun, then hide behind cover if i get hurt and be fine?

I heard Battlefield 2 had a good focus on team play because of the need for medics/fear of taking damage by going alone.

I've not seen the full 12 min video but if there's regen health then it's single player only. Same happened in Bad Company 2, seeing as it's SP and you don't rely on others. In MP, I can't possibly see that medics would be taken out, it's an integral part of the 'team' idea behind Battlefield, and would also screw with the way the game modes work.

I think it's potentially good news that the PC versions are being used as the main focus, I agree with the guy in the interview that console versions could benefit from this. Seeing as the 360 is based off PC hardware/tech, I can however see the 360 being a far better conversion than the PS3. That'd be a shame, because if PS3 was made as a dedicated game like Drake's Fortune, Killzone etc then it's visuals would be right up there. Sadly, DICE won't have the time to do this. However, even if the game wasn't based on the PC version as the lead platform, this would probably still be the case.

Yet despite what I said above, I'm still sceptical about the console version's graphics though, I can't see how they'll have the time to get the most out of each platform. Given how crazily good this looks on PC, surely to get anything approaching this they'd need to have real dedicated time to push the 360 and PS3 - time they simply won't have.

On another note, I noticed the trailer is on PSN to download. Should Sony really be allowed to put a big trailer on their store when none of the footage is on their own console?

Last edited:
On another note, I noticed the trailer is on PSN to download. Should Sony really be allowed to put a big trailer on their store when none of the footage is on their own console?

I think the PS3 will get the MP Beta first, so long as you have Medal of Honor and I guess they aint too worried by it not being PS3 footage.

They do yes, but the PC will be their lead platform, it's were they started all those years ago. They will really want to make this game a cutting edge visual feast on PC, to show off their Frostbite engine as best as they possibly can, showing how much more technically impressive it is over the Call of Duty franchise.

They do yes, but the PC will be their lead platform, it's were they started all those years ago. They will really want to make this game a cutting edge visual feast on PC, to show off their Frostbite engine as best as they possibly can, showing how much more technically impressive it is over the Call of Duty franchise.
And also show how we desperately need new consoles before pc gaming really does leave current gen consoles in the shade

hehe you should get this game. it will bum rape COD any day of the week

Only just come back in here. What's COD got to do with this anyway? I don't play that at all. I actually find most FPS' rather shit tbh but now and then I get an urge to play one. A week later I tend to get rid as they end up boring me to death.

Thats because you probably have not played a proper war game done in a fps.

thats what makes BF games more interesting for me, they offer more then just run and gun shooting. in BF you can drive many vehicles, fly planes and helicopters and just heal people in your squad during a fire fight.

COD you cant do the above. COD is pure run and gun.

thats what makes BF games more interesting for me, they offer more then just run and gun shooting. in BF you can drive many vehicles, fly planes and helicopters and just heal people in your squad during a fire fight.

I have played BF fella so I know what's involved. It still gets boring as hell though. FPS isn't really my genre. I have had some fun with FPS'ers but it soon wears off. I'm crap at them so that doesn't help. Tried to get better but attention span soon wears off and I just end up jumping on a quad or something and going for a spin around the map. vrrmmmm vrrmmmm

Totally agree. COD has absolutely nothing to it other than running and gunning to get the highest amount of kills possible. Mainly, the game focuses on getting killstreak rewards.

BF games allow you to play in whatever way you want. I love this, it allows me to change the way I play several times in one game.

Totally agree. COD has absolutely nothing to it other than running and gunning to get the highest amount of kills possible. Mainly, the game focuses on getting killstreak rewards.

BF games allow you to play in whatever way you want. I love this, it allows me to change the way I play several times in one game.

COD is about as casual as it gets these days. It used to be a really decent war sim back on the PS2, and even early on this gen, but now it's just an arcade, brain-dead shooter, played by kids or blokes who have no interest in gaming outside COD.

For me the series took a turn for the worse after COD3 when kill-streaks, perks and customisable weapons were first introduced. COD3 was the best of the bunch online in my opinion, it was so much more simple with four classes of soldier, each with preset weapon load-outs. I had so much fun with that game. It's simplicity was it's strong point.

Back
Top Bottom