Ask the Dutch about the Dutch

joosterbrood, what do you think of Khalid Boulahrouz? I watched him against England and I was really impressed, for most of the game he had Rooney and Owen in his pocket is he a regular international?

2Fast_2Furious said:
nice thread joostebrood. erm my question is could you compare & contrast Rosenberg & Huntelaar as i dont no a lot about them but i seem to hear great things about these two.

Rosenberg has more depth, he's always facing the goal. Best suitable for 4-4-2. Huntelaar can play with his back towards the goal, more suitable for 4-3-3. I do think Huntelaar is a better finisher though. Rosenberg is always on the edge of off side, asking for that through ball. My personal favorite is Huntelaar. He's a complete striker. Great positioning. Very good finishing, with left and right.

Stan said:
Thanks for the answers Joot.
I actually heard a rumlour about De Ceulaer. Koeman considers him that good that he wants him back in Feyenoord.
And do you know that Feyenoord has loaned a Brazilian forward to Belgian club Westerlo: Jay Jay (as for Jackson) Coelho. He is astonishing good and Celta de Vigo allegedly wants to buy him. Koeman and some other Feyenoord guy came to watch Coelho in a few big matches but the Westerlo coach put him in the team as SMF...in the match against Anderlecht 15 minutes before the end of the game theFeyenoord delegation quit the stadium and the coach put Coelho as forward and hescored two goals...

Didn't know this, nice story though.

MO_DINERO said:
joosterbrood, what do you think of Khalid Boulahrouz? I watched him against England and I was really impressed, for most of the game he had Rooney and Owen in his pocket is he a regular international?

Yes, he's a regular. He's injured a lot it seems though. But his marking is amazing, really on the same level as Stam. I'm not saying he's as good already, but he can become that good. He's very quick as well.
But my favorite Dutch defender at the moment is Mathijsen. If you get the chance to watch AZ play in the UEFA cup this year, or maybe watch a match of Holland, watch that guy. Great defender.

Update on Jay Jay Coelho Joost, Spanish team Getafe have said to have bought him from Feyenoord...

Also I'm quite interested in the ethnicity discussions and usually know or like to know the player's 2nd nationality (other race as well) and do know for van Bronkhorst and many other players like De Ridder has Israeli as well as Dutch background as you probably know but what is Denny Landzaat's other nationality? I heard it's a small island near Indonesia? but I can't remember name.

I believe his family originates from "the Molukken" Not sure how its called in English...

Also Heerenveen-Groningen and Heracles-Twente could also be described as derbies, although the fans dont fight and stuff, they really want to beat the other team...

Big Boss said:
I believe his family originates from "the Molukken" Not sure how its called in English...

Also Heerenveen-Groningen and Heracles-Twente could also be described as derbies, although the fans dont fight and stuff, they really want to beat the other team...

Molukken = Ambon

I know they are also derbies, NAC - Willem II also is one, but the 2 I mentioned go a bit further than other derbies.

Good to have you here Big Boss, you can be my partner.

Stringer Bell said:
How is Ikedia getting on at AZ?

He hasn't played much so far, injured all season. He's back now I think, but I doubt if he'll become a regular starter.

I can help you too joost :)
A Question to you English peepz, what is your POV about the thoughest league's in Europe?
How you guys rate the French competition compared to the Dutch?
Personally I have this view:
1. England [both very]
2. Spain [close ! ]
---------
3. Italy
----------
4. Germany
5. France
6. Mickey Mouse (we)
etc

And:
How did the media talk about PSV youngster Aisatti?
What do you guys think of Martin Jol?
Did the media report any interest of Spurs buying Vlaar? (he went to Feyenoord tho)

Last edited:
Klass jan Huntellar has moved to AJAX. I remember this guy from my CM games, is he anygood, lol?

Doh, just read your answer up there. Sounds like he's just like he was in CM.

jooste, how is Pierre Van Hooijdonk's performance in NAC Brada ? is he keep scoring his fantastic free kicks or just playing low because he will retire this year ?

was great player in fenerbahce, score alot of beautiful free kicks

@Peter: Huntelaar, 22 years old, is a very good attacker, he's in the Dutch Youth team, is topscorer of the Eredivisie with 17 goals. Anyways don't look @ CM, Dutch teams are unrealistic in manager games.

@Massacre: He's not so good anymore as he was when he played at Feyenoord. He doesn't score much, nor from free kicks. But it's not he is crap or something, he's just average. Although we expected a lot more of him ofcourse, but he's getting older so that's why.

Hi Joostebroode,

A couple of questions if i may mate

1. In England when a player gets an international appearance they get a cap, is it the same over there ?

sorry :), seriously......

What do you think of Simon Kuper ? author of "Football against the Enemy" and a book on Ajax (apologies can't remember it's name)

and

A lot is always made of a Dutch footballers tendency to question a manager's tactics/give his opinion on formations etc...

Obviously in most countries this sort of situation doesn't go down well, with the players not expected to answer back or rather just get on with playing and leave the thinking to the boss.

Does this only affect the national team and big clubs or is it common amongst smaller teams/smaller leagues too ?

Many thanks

db

denirobob said:
Hi Joostebroode,

A couple of questions if i may mate

1. In England when a player gets an international appearance they get a cap, is it the same over there ?

sorry :), seriously......

What do you think of Simon Kuper ? author of "Football against the Enemy" and a book on Ajax (apologies can't remember it's name)

and

A lot is always made of a Dutch footballers tendency to question a manager's tactics/give his opinion on formations etc...

Obviously in most countries this sort of situation doesn't go down well, with the players not expected to answer back or rather just get on with playing and leave the thinking to the boss.

Does this only affect the national team and big clubs or is it common amongst smaller teams/smaller leagues too ?

Many thanks

db

Hi there, when a Dutch player plays an international, he receives a "Haasje", I don't know the English word for this now, it's too early to think. It's like a souvenir. Probably the same sort of symbolic stuff as in England.

I know vaguely of that writer, but never read his stuff, so can't give you an opinion on that.

Your third question, it affects every team. Somehoe Dutch players think they have the right to question the tactics of a coach. This has brought us good things (1974, Cruyff was the real coach, he changed tactics during games), but it has also brought us shit (1990, 1994, 1996). Players like Seedorf, RVN, but also younger players like van der Vaart and Sneijder don't have a problem with communicating their opinion through the media.
It happens everywhere, even in amateur football. I guess it has to do with the equal rights, liberal thinking we're known for. I'm not against it, sometimes the wrong players do it though.

Joost, i know that you are the expert in this thread but can i ask a time-out for the question about Simon Kuper???

Db, "Football against the enemy" is a good book but is overrated when proclaimed the best football book ever (like quite recently in Four Four Two). One of the best book ever written about Dutch football is "Orange Brilliant" by an English writer...can't remember his name...but i will look the book up at home and will post the author as Stan...Will also search the name of a similar book as Football against the enemy that is better IMHO. Finally a very good similar book is the one about Iraqi football under Saddam's son...great stuff...will also post about that book as Stan.

And at last, finally, definitely one that is also for Joost, perhaps the best book concerning Dutch football is only out in Dutch: "1974, wij waren de besten" (1974, We were the best). It's a very good book about what happened to the superb Dutch team in the 1974 WC and why they lost the final (in short Cruijff had a row with his wife after allegations of swimming pool sex in the Dutch press).

Last edited:
Gerd, I once started reading that book, but somehow I stopped after 50 pages. I'll pick up on it again sometime.
I'd also like to recommend a great book about van Basten: Het Mysterie Marco. It's basically about his career before the EC 88. Great book.

Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football is by David Winner and I agree it is an excellent read.

What do you think of AZ's Stijn Schaars as a player, he has always impressed me when I have seen him playing for the national team at U21 level and wondered if he is near breaking into the senior squad?

JeffT said:
Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football is by David Winner and I agree it is an excellent read.

What do you think of AZ's Stijn Schaars as a player, he has always impressed me when I have seen him playing for the national team at U21 level and wondered if he is near breaking into the senior squad?

Schaars is injured at the moment, but he's a regular for AZ. He also impressed me in the first team so far. He's also a great captain for U21. The strange thing is, he played for Vitesse and was a sub most of the time. His passing is very good and he's also a good fysical player. A very important player to keep the balance. I think he's not ready for the Dutch team yet, but in time he can be.
Talking about talents, De Guzman (Feijenoord), Affelay (PSV) and Aissati (PSV) are the biggest talents in Holland right now.

Hey jooste you ever heard of Esajas? Player of Milan? I recently found out that he had retired twice, was overweight and was a cook when he joined Milan. He was very talented before his serious injury, and one day Seedorf called him to say hey, then invited him to a derby. Somehow his story was told to Milan, so they signed him when he was fat, overweight, retired from football for over 2 yeras, and a chef!

Last edited:
It's a true story Milanista. I think he used to play for Feijenoord. This is Harvey Esajas right? He got a deal with Milan because of Seedorf, but he was never considered a big talent over here. Me and my friends had to laugh about it when we heard it.

indeed. he got signed by Milan because he was a friend of Seedorf. they offered him a 1 year contract, now playing for Legnano, together with Chedric Seedorf.

As promised by "the other one".

Jeff T already gave the correct name of the book and the author of Brilliant Orange (thanks).
The others:

Baghdad FC - A hidden history of sport and Tyranny by Simon Freeman (edt by John Murray)
How Soccer Explains the World (an unlikely theory of globalization) by Franklin Foer (edt by Harper and Collins)

And then the book which gave me the insights which provoked the outburst in "my" signature :

"The Beautifull Game -searching for the soul of football" by David Conn (edited by Yellow Jersey Press).

Sorry to hijack this thread Joost....

Last edited:
You're most welcome to be here Gerd, you usually have nice views.

Off topic: I'm sentimental listening to Gram Parsons and Emmylou doing Love Hurts

Hey Jooste, that DeniroBob questiong about Dutch players not being shy to tell their views on tactics was a really good one in my opinion and one I was interested in getting answers to as well.

Anyways seeing as you're expert here and there's many things for me us to learn about Eredivisie or other Dutch stuff about you I thought I'd pop in with 2 more questions (and will likely keep this up so if you don't want to answer let me know now or I might be asking things everyday :p) just kidding mate. Anyways here's 2:

1. Who is FC Groningen's biggest rival in the league? Do they have a neighbour or in general who is the club their fans hate the most.

2. How is their CB Kruijswick (sp?) doing? Last year he seemed like a good prospect and could become a great talent but I don't hear anything from him this year and I don't get lower teams coverage myself here unles they are playing one of the big 3 :(

Alright just remembered another question

3. Who has (fan-base wise) the lowest amount of fans in Eredivisie right now? (Is it one of the newly promoted teams) ? or is it someone like RBC?

Finally if you don't mind either now or when you get some time, I'd appreciate if you could put in ORDER the teams fan-base in Holland so I could see who has lowerst - 2nd lowest- things like that since I'm really intersted to see if its like I THINK it is or if i'm quite wrong. :)

Don't do it now though as I expect it might take a while.. only when you're ready and want to answer it ;)

take care man.

PLF said:
Hey Jooste, that DeniroBob questiong about Dutch players not being shy to tell their views on tactics was a really good one in my opinion and one I was interested in getting answers to as well.

Anyways seeing as you're expert here and there's many things for me us to learn about Eredivisie or other Dutch stuff about you I thought I'd pop in with 2 more questions (and will likely keep this up so if you don't want to answer let me know now or I might be asking things everyday :p) just kidding mate. Anyways here's 2:

1. Who is FC Groningen's biggest rival in the league? Do they have a neighbour or in general who is the club their fans hate the most.

2. How is their CB Kruijswick (sp?) doing? Last year he seemed like a good prospect and could become a great talent but I don't hear anything from him this year and I don't get lower teams coverage myself here unles they are playing one of the big 3 :(

Alright just remembered another question

3. Who has (fan-base wise) the lowest amount of fans in Eredivisie right now? (Is it one of the newly promoted teams) ? or is it someone like RBC?

Finally if you don't mind either now or when you get some time, I'd appreciate if you could put in ORDER the teams fan-base in Holland so I could see who has lowerst - 2nd lowest- things like that since I'm really intersted to see if its like I THINK it is or if i'm quite wrong. :)

Don't do it now though as I expect it might take a while.. only when you're ready and want to answer it ;)

take care man.

I thought I did answer the DeNiro question. It's up there somewhere.

1: Heerenveen is the biggest rival of Groningen. They're both from the north and there's this competition between them, who's the highest ranked team. It used to be Groningen, but the past few years it's Heerenveen. It's all friendly though

2: Kruiswijk is still a talent, he was linked to the top 3 teams last year, but I don't hear to much about him these days. His partner in defense Luirink gets more attention. I think they're both decent defenders, but I'm not sure if they can get to the top. Usually talants that play 1 or 2 good games are seen as our new internationals, which is not what they turn out to be most of the time.

3: I think it's RBC who have the lowest fan base. They have the smallest stadium, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if I can help you with that list man, I'm not into that stuff too much, maybe someone else can help you with that. If I find a list or something, I'll post it here.

Joost about that rivalry, aren't Cambuur the biggest rivals of Heerenveen, beingtwo Frisian clubs??

PS: Gram Parsons is one of the all-time greats...tonight in my bed while reading in my bed and while my beautiful wife is having sweet dreams i will listen to Gram Parsons...you've made me sentimental Joost...i think that you are a great romantic (too).
You know which book you should read, the most romantic book ever: Ask the Dust by John Fante...This is the most "Gram Parsons - Emmylou Harris - Love Hurts"-book ever.

Last edited:
Stan said:
Joost about that rivalry, aren't Cambuur the biggest rivals of Heerenveen, beingtwo Frisian clubs??

PS: Gram Parsons is one of the all-time greats...tonight in my bed while reading in my bed and while my beautiful wife is having sweet dreams i will listen to Gram Parsons...you've made me sentimental Joost...i think that you are a great romantic (too).
You know which book you should read, the most romantic book ever: Ask the Dust by John Fante...This is the most "Gram Parsons - Emmylou Harris - Love Hurts"-book ever.

It's also true Gerd, that's because Cambuur is also from Friesland (a Dutch region), butr since they don't play in the Eredivisie it's Groningen - Heerenveen. The Northern battle.

Back
Top Bottom