Are PES2008 slowdown issues and framerate drop T.V specific ? I think so.

Jimmy G-Force

Resident PES Fanman
13 April 2003
Newcastle
Middlesbrough F.C.
Ok, just to fill you in a little on yesterdays disappointment :0(

After reading many conflicting reviews on here for the last 3 days on the PS3 version of the game,I really needed to see for myself.

I have played the PS2 version and wasnt impressed, like previously mentioned, its PES 6.1, period, nothing really new at all, and the whole package all round doesnt improve on my super-patched PES 6.

I have played PES since the very beginning, and ISS before that,I'm a huge PES fan, and always have been. I own a PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 and more recently a PS3 after it was reduced to £299. The sole reason for buying the PS3 was for PES2008. I have always been a Sony fan over its rivals, but must admit, I'm really enjoying the Xbox 360 experience, but cant get away with playing PES on the 360 controller, so I forked out for a PS3 for that reason alone.

I had PES2008 pre-ordered with Game for today, and although I tried to obtain it from them and Gamesmaster yesterday, they both wouldnt have it. I finally managed to find a store that would sell me it yesterday, so I picked it up at 4.30pm and paid my £47. If I had have waited till today, I could have traded in two games that I didnt have with me yesterday and basically got the game for nothing, but it was our weekly lads night last night and I thought, fuck it, I'll pay the cash so we can all play it last night, big mistake in hindsight.

Whilst I was actually in the shop, before I bought the PS3 version, one of the guys behind the counter told me not to bother buying it, he said he'd played it the previous night at home and that the slowdown was horrific. He informed me he was a huge PES fan and had recently sold his 360 to buy at PS3 just for this game but was very disappointed. The PS3 version was actually on in the shop, and he asked me if I wanted a go to check it out. So I had a five minute blast, and guess what, no slowdown whatsoever, the game played ultra smooth, and I was beginning to wonder what all the fuss was about, sure the cutscenes were choppy, but that didnt bother me, the game played like a dream so I bought it.

I figured because the guy had played it at home and didnt like it, he hadnt tried it on the HD T.V. he had in his store, and it was totally different. So I bought the game and drove home as quick as I could.

Now, I must admit, this whole T.V. specific thing first come to light for me when I first bought my Wharfedale high definition 42" plasma TV - with a
1024 x 768 resolution. I was playing a super-patched WE10 at the time and for some reason when I used it via a SuperRGB cable on my new T.V. the framerate and slowdown was terrible. I was gutted, but nothing I tried worked, even when I bought a component cable for it. I then patched up the newly released PES6 and tried it on the 60hz option, exactly the same, I was gutted again and cursing my new HD T.V. I'd only bought it really for my gaming, and my favourite game was unplayable. I then tried it on the 50hz option, and to my delight the all the slowdown was gone and the game played like a dream, I was happy as a pig in shit.

I was hoping and praying that I'd be one of the lucky few who wouldnt have slowdown and framerate issues on my new PS3 and PES2008 on this T.V, unfortunately I wasnt. :0(

The whole of our lads night was pretty much spent trying to solve this terrible slowdown and framerate issue, and we tried everything. We thought we could resolve it like we did with PES6 on the PS2 the year before but we couldnt even with my HDMI lead.

I tried all the options from 560i to 720 to 1020i,1020p etc etc on the system
settings but nothing seemed to make that much of a difference. We tried removing the name plates, playing in the Konami stadium, the San Siro, with no textures on the pitch and no stadiums effects, and although it improved slightly, it still didnt resolve the problem. We got four games into our 5 man league and then sacked it, we all decided the slowdown was totally spoiling our enjoyment, which was a huge shame as the game felt pretty good.

We then tried the 32" Sony T.V. I had in my bedroom with the game on the standard RGB cable, but still had the same problem.

Although the game SHOULD work perfectly on all T.V.s whether they are LCD, Plasma, HD whatever, its plainly obvious from peoples comments on here that it doesnt. But, I'm still hoping that I can somehow find the right settings to make it run smooth like I did with the PS2 and PES6. Add to the fact I played it in the shop on a HD T.V with a HDMI cable and it ran perfect, there has to be an answer to a fix for us all.

There are people on here that are clearly not experiencing the horrific problems that us unlucky ones are, so my question to everybody who are not having game ruining issues, like Deejay, Junka, Deadman, EPG etc etc is, what are your settings on both your PS3 and what T.V.s are you guys using, connections etc ?

Hopefully if you guys can list all the variables you are using, maybe this can help us out ?

After re-reading the Pro G review of the game I have to concur 110% with everything that was wrote. They have written excactly what I and many others are experiencing.

Here is living in hope of a resolution, I'm going to give it another test tonight, as I'm sure there is an answer out there, I've seen hope, I played it in the shop and it was perfectly smooth.

So either I find a fix, OR I go back down to that shop in the dead of night, and steal his fucking T.V. lol.

Appreciate any help on this, and I'm sure I speak for everybody in the same unfortuate boat as me.

With respect

Jimmy G ........

Last edited:
Re: Is PES2008 slowdown issues and framerate drop T.V specific ? I think so.

Hi , the only problem i have with slowdown is on replays, and online is a joke no not a joke a disgrace!

I use an LG 42 inch plasma 1080p 720p no difference , however i have installed game data to the HDD.

I don't understand why you would have problems with PES6/PS2 at 60Hz - I have never had any problems and have always played at 60Hz even before I got my HD telly. I for one have had few problems with PES2008/PS3, although it looks like there is a solution for everyone in the form of a patch.

I personally don't think it's to do with the type of telly you have.

It's not.

If you go into training mode, see how smooth the game runs, replays and everything is perfect becuase there is no crowd, commentary etc.

This is how smooth the game SHOULD be when playing a match.

It's not.

If you go into training mode, see how smooth the game runs, replays and everything is perfect becuase there is no crowd, commentary etc.

This is how smooth the game SHOULD be when playing a match.

The game doesnt run smooth in training mate, thats where I first noticed the slowdown before I even played a match.

The 60hz option was the one I always used on my previous T.V., thats the reason I tried it first on PES6. The framerate and slowdown was exactly the same only a little worse than it is now on PS3 PES2008. The 50hz option worked perfectly on PS2 PES6.

Which proves my point.

Just to add, the first thing I did was install the game to the PS3's hardrive.

If thats the case, then why was it perfect in the shop, and terrible on both my T.V., and a large proportion of peoples on here, and Pro G's ?

The game doesnt run smooth in training mate, thats where I first noticed the slowdown before I even played a match.

The 60hz option was the one I always used on my previous T.V., thats the reason I tried it first on PES6. The framerate and slowdown was exactly the same only a little worse than it is now on PS3 PES2008. The 50hz option worked perfectly on PS2 PES6.

Which proves my point.

Just to add, the first thing I did was install the game to the PS3's hardrive.

Well I think that proves you have a problem with your telly; it doesn't prove anything about PES2008 - i.e. you have had the problem on two different games on two different consoles.

Ive just turned off "Quick Shoot" in my HDMI settings for the TV and the FPS drop is almost unnoticeable in comparison to before, even on replays

Well I think that proves you have a problem with your telly; .

Which is the point of the thread, its T.V specific.

I just called my son who has tried it on his T.V. with the RGB cable and he said its even worse on his, and he has a bog standard, non HD T.V.

God help me. :0(

I have minor slowdown issues on my ps3 but it's most certainly tolerable. I'd advise:
install to hard drive
TURN OFF STADIUM EFFECTS
try different camera angles

i'm currently using the wide camera and the slowdown is easily tolerable for me - although it is of course still f'ing annoying they couldn't get this game to run smoothly on the ps3.

Which is the point of the thread, its T.V specific.

I just called my son who has tried it on his T.V. with the RGB cable and he said its even worse on his, and he has a bog standard, non HD T.V.

God help me. :0(

Yes it's TV specific, but it's not related to PES is it? If your telly had a fault that made all pictures look red, would you assert that "PES2008 looks red on some tellies and not others"? You need to look into why the telly acts the way it does even with PES6/PS2@60Hz - there is no widespread slowdown with that.

Do like another poster has done and check the picture processing options of the telly, and maybe try www.avforums.com.

Last edited:

Do like another poster has done and check the picture processing options of the telly.

I will give it a give it a go mate. ;0)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Konami obviously have issues with PES on certain T.V.'s, its the only explanation as to why so many people are having problems and others aren't. I dont have any problems with ANY other games on any other consoles on that T.V.

The way the T.V. processes the frames is the problem, its just not universally correct and compatible as a game like that should be.

The T.V. having problems with the 50hz and 60hz is the PAL/NTSC issue, and like I said, it was never a problem previous on my non HD T.V.

Last edited:

I will give it a give it a go mate. ;0)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Konami obviously have issues with PES on certain T.V.'s, its the only explanation as to why so many people are having problems and others aren't. I dont have any problems with ANY other games on any other consoles on that T.V.

The way the T.V. processes the frames is the problem, its just not universally correct as a game like that should be.

The T.V. having problems with the 50hz and 60hz is the PAL/NTSC issue, and like I said, it was never a problem previous on my non HD T.V.

We are very much alike I think - I too have been playing since ISS, have "boys gaming nights", played patched WE versions, etc. etc. and I have always played 60Hz without problem - that is the only way to play it as far as I am concerned.

When I went from my widescreen SD telly to my HD telly I had no problems at all at 60Hz and if you do you should concentrate on solving that first. PES6/PS2 actually sends a PAL60 signal, not NTSC, when you select 60Hz, and any telly worth its salt should handle PAL50, PAL60 and NTSC without problem. As I say even my old Panasonic SD telly handled it fine.

Join www.avforums.com and tell them your problems and how you connect your consoles etc. - there is much knowledge there, and they should be able to help.

Hope you find your problem and can enjoy your PES for a full year...

Andy

I have minor slowdown issues on my ps3 but it's most certainly tolerable. I'd advise:
install to hard drive
TURN OFF STADIUM EFFECTS
try different camera angles

i'm currently using the wide camera and the slowdown is easily tolerable for me - although it is of course still f'ing annoying they couldn't get this game to run smoothly on the ps3.

When you say install to hard drive do you mean via the game's system settings > install option.
Can you please explain what this is actually doing. It doesnt seem to install the whole game as it seems you still need to insert the disc - in which case, whats the advantage of doing it?

I have a 32" Samsung LCD 720p Tv, have the PS3 output at 720p. It's connected by component cables. I play on normal long, and the only slowdown I get is with replays which are horrible. I have had minor slowdown when there are 16 or 17 or more players in the screen but its only for a fraction of a second. I also installed the game on the HD from the system settings menu. I also have stadium effects off. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

We are very much alike I think - I too have been playing since ISS, have "boys gaming nights", played patched WE versions, etc. etc. and I have always played 60Hz without problem - that is the only way to play it as far as I am concerned.

When I went from my widescreen SD telly to my HD telly I had no problems at all at 60Hz and if you do you should concentrate on solving that first. PES6/PS2 actually sends a PAL60 signal, not NTSC, when you select 60Hz, and any telly worth its salt should handle PAL50, PAL60 and NTSC without problem. As I say even my old Panasonic SD telly handled it fine.

Join www.avforums.com and tell them your problems and how you connect your consoles etc. - there is much knowledge there, and they should be able to help.

Hope you find your problem and can enjoy your PES for a full year...

Andy

Cheers Andy, I will check that place out mate.

We always played on 60HZ as I felt that played the best, was just disappointed when this new TV couldnt handle it. Maybe because its a Wharfedale and not a Sony or something better. Its just at the time, it was the best and biggest I could get for the grand I had spare to spend.

I might even try to get a component cable for the PS3, and never had any problems apart from the 60hz one on my PS2 on this T.V with that cable.

Seems stupid though, especially as the HDMI lead is supposed to be superior. :0(

Maybe I'll try to see if there is a firmware update for the PS3, I'll try anything, what with reading this site at work, all day, everyday for the last week, this fricking thing has already taken 7 days out of my life. lol.

When you say install to hard drive do you mean via the game's system settings > install option.
Can you please explain what this is actually doing. It doesnt seem to install the whole game as it seems you still need to insert the disc - in which case, whats the advantage of doing it?

It will read much of the data from the HDD and not the Blu-ray disc, which should speed things up. It probably doesn't read it all, and besides the copy protection is still on the disc - they have to check you have the original game still.

Just found this, which I hope will help with my problem, fingers crossed.

My only slight worry is that the HDMI lead worked well on other PS3 games, but hopefully this will sort PES2008. I live in hope.

"PS3 - HDMI Against Component, Resolutions and Confusion

April 5, 2007 – 1:57 pm
Lets start off by noting that I initially purchased the HDMI cable for outputting high definition on the PS3. My HDMI connection has been one of woes and pains from the start. The PS3 has an issue when using HDMI on some sets. I do not know the full technical details but it is all to do with HDCP copy protection and the timeout set for the TV to switch sources. Some TVs have a big problem with the PS3 and HDMI handshaking with it. It simply will not work. Others like myself have the handshaking problem where the TV cannot decide what the cable wants to do so when first starting up a game or movie it gets confused for a few seconds and tries to switch sources in between it may give the screen funny colours or a snowy screen. This is quite worrying when you see it and I am sure its not healthy for the TV in the long term.

Until Sony fix this with a patch, many people will have HDMI issues. Cue the component cable. If your TV has component sockets I would advise this is the best option for those with HDMI issues. Now a word of warning first. If you had been using HDMI then you switch to component, initially you will get NO picture whatsoever on the PS3 - it will switch on, but nobody is home. What you must do after switching cables is for the first time you switch the machine on you must hold the power button on for about 5 seconds until you hear the first beep. This will start the PS3 in display setup mode. Choose 576p or whatever it offers, then go into the display settings and add the resolutions you need - possibly 720p and 1080i. Then choose the audio connection you require. The component connection does not having this handshaking problem and switches easily to the desired resolution when a game or movie is inserted. This eases the pressure on the TV getting confused to what it needs.

Now speaking of resolutions, playing blu-ray may cause an initial confusion so I would like to help clear this up a bit. Blu ray movies will not play at 720p setting. If you do not have 1080i ticked as one of the supported resolutions the movie will only play in 480p - pretty ugly. So as before, when setting up your display settings ensure that you have both 720p and 1080i ticked. This will set 1080i as the default resolution for movies and the dashboard and the PS3 will switch to 720p for games if that is your desired resolution.

It all sounds a bit messy and confusing, but once you have set it up everything is fine. This obviously does not affect those who either do not have a high definition TV or those that have the bigger 1080p televisions.

I feel alot happier now I have abandoned HDMI and gone to component. Not only is my TV happier but I actually think the game is a little smoother over component. Sony needs to fix the HDMI issues before I will consider going back to it and to be honest there is little difference between the two anyway. HDMI might be digital but as far as I am concerned it has little impact on the quality of the games graphics and sound. "

I've had almost no problems, apart from very slight slowdown in some goalmouth scrambles, but not nearly as bad as it was on some of the PS2 versions. The only gameplay ruining issue is the penalty shootouts, which play out in slow motion like the replays and cut-scenes.

I'm playing the game on a 26" Sony Bravia over HDMI.

how do install to hard drive

ps3 novice here

cheers i was looking in the ps3 dashboard

i haven't had slowdown issues in gameplay, i have got it installed on my hdd, no stadium effects and running at 720p using HDMI Version1.3 cable on a 32" sony bravia, using theatre mode that is on the bravia tvs (takes alot of brightness out of the game so the tv isn't working as hard, can't complain really.

Anyone tried the game on a SD TV? and if so is there slowdown?

Yes mate, I have!
I tried it on Wednesday night at my mate's. He has a 44" SD rear projector.
Slowdown was horrific! Gameplay i'm on about. Replays were laughable!
Installed it to the HDD and it was much better. Still not right though.
Everything is just jerky looking. Like its flickering.

I agree aout the TV and I had this theory pretty much straight away due to the old "you're talking s%%t cos theres no slowdown" countered by "no you're talking s%%t cos you're a fanboy blah blah blah"

People can only be sure of their own experiences. If they see no slowdown then thats what they see. If they are getting slowdown then thats what they're getting.

Now, there are only really three variable factor here.

1 - Firmware
2 - TV type etc
3 - Connection type

Personally i'm going for the telly for now.
I'll try on my GF's 32" top of the range Argos HDTV and then on my 42" Samsung bad boy and let you know the results.

Wish me luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom