Your Favourite No. 10 of all Time

lol
well m8 i dont know what he meant, maybe he just wanted to see which was everyones favorite 10, no matter the role, shirt number or soul like u say ;)

For me the magic of the number 10 shirt will aways be connected to pele.

in my approach of the game the number 10 player is not by how u try to play the game doing certain things or having a specificaly apporach, like i said before the 10 for me is the "crack"(in portuguese crack is the name we give to amazing players) of the team, meaning the best player all around, the maestro of the team, and to be the maestro u dont need to be a "fantaisiti" or trequartisti u need to be the guy that will orchestrate the result of the game with unnatural stuff, thats why i consider del piero a truly number 10 too...but again, thats down to each other vision of the game and past experiences which means everyone will have a difernt opinion in that matter.

@ brunnoce
Well Ronaldo in his early days as I recall wore the no. 10 and was the same kind of player I would say as Pele. Fast, Lethal, and has good passing abilities. You make a point by giving the most important player on the team the number 10, that is most likely to happen in club teams, but always in national teams they give each player his rightful number simply because the coach chooses.

@ lo zio
Post your thoughts anytime mate, but tbh, I meant playmaker by number 10, but not a problem. People have diffrent views. :)
On the upside of the number 10, almost every player likes or even wants to the play that role. I keep track of Milan mostly and the 3 playmakers said they like mostly to play behind 2 strikers. It mainly brings all the attention to them and makes them express all their abilities.
As for teams revolving around fantasista's, well look at France now... :DD

Last edited:
Well brunoce, i think Pele, Maradonna and Cruijff were much too god to be what i consider a number 10: a down and out playmaker..those three players (probably the 3 best players of all times)were all over the field...

Some typical playmakers: Platini, Micoud, Netzer (also one of the best ever), Giannini, Riquelme, Ardiles (when he played in the same team as Maradonna, it was clear that Ardiles was the play maker), Hoddle.

There are also more defensive orientated playmakers: Pirlo, but also very much Fernando Redondo (one of my all-time favourite players, what a shame he played for a team i don't like at all...).

Maybe another example that makes clear the difference between a real playmaker and a player who is very similar to one.
In the Italian squad of the WC 1990 Gianini (a real playmaker) lost his place to Baggio. IMHO Baggia was more a second striker than a real playmaker...
Am i saying that Giannini was the better player of the two ??? No, Baggio was the better one (although i preferred to watch Giannini for his fantastic passing ability), but once again IMHo he was not a real playmaker...

modric played the role to perfection yesterday in the fa cup. usually he plays behind the striker for his club and in the number 10 spot for his country but yesterday redknapp played him where he is meant to be played and he was far and away man of the match.

I think as some seem to have posted, this is 'your favourite' as opposed to the so called best of all time, surely to be 'your' favourite you will have had to see them play live or at the very least live on TV...

Well Nick, believe it or not, but i saw all the players i mentioned live on televsion, but then again i'm the original Cro Magnon man on this forum...i'm probably the only one who saw the 1970 WC final live on televsion on this forum...

Oh and Nick, it took me a while to realize that you also mentioned Zico as your favourite...i'm not sure if you've read everything, but as a matter of fact Zico is my number two (or three): i forgot to mention Giannini (my number 1) and Redondo (but he's not a real number 10).

I think as some seem to have posted, this is 'your favourite' as opposed to the so called best of all time, surely to be 'your' favourite you will have had to see them play live or at the very least live on TV...

I agree!

Maradonna is my favourite number 10, for my generation he symbolised everything special about that number...

number 2 is Bergkamp!

Vann, Manchester United once had a great number 10 too: Arnold Muhren... he came over from Ipswicvh Town where he shared the role of playmaker with another great Dutch player: Frans Thyssen.

Still not as good as this man...

GallasSulking2504_468x300.jpg

Personally I reckon my two favorite no.10's in history is Zidane and Del Piero. Two great players with fantastic ability to play the ball forward and add some magic from time to time.

The best 10 for me is Metin Oktay..
1.jpg

He finished his marriage for Galatasaray love.Because he is wife want to back Izmir where her family lives in.Then she wanted to chose Metin,asking like "Galatasaray or me!".Metin Oktay answers "Galatasaray because Galatasaray more faitful then you!".Then they divocire.

One of Fenerbahce prisident give a open-check to Metin."Fill the price how much you want".Metin aswers back "Don't make unhappy lovers of us."

Career achievements

* Most goals in career by a Turkish player (632),
* Most league goals total by a player (317 goals in 14 consecutive seasons),
* Most league goals in one season (38), (later broken by a one-goal margin by a then Galatasaray player, Tanju Çolak in 1988)
* Most seasons as a top scorer in league (first one in İzmir league(1955) 4 times in Istanbul League in a row (from 1955 to 1959) 6 times in national league (1959, 1959-1960, 1960-1961, 1962-1963, 1964-1965 and 1968-1969*),

1968-1969 Both Metin Oktay and Fevzi Zemzem had 19 goals each. Fevzi Zemzem requested Metin Oktay to have the trophy) (Yeni Asir Newspaper)

* Best record of goals per match (1.46),
* Most goals at international top level by a Turkish player(19 for national team, 15 at club level total of 34),(this record was broken later by another Galatasaray legend, Hakan Şükür)
* 4 regional league & 3 Turkish league championships, 4 Turkish FA cups and 2 Super cups.

Full life story; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metin_Oktay

When I was a young lad my favourite player was Tommy Burns who wore the No.10 at Celtic.

Maradonna gets my vote as the best ever though.

Back
Top Bottom