YOUR COUNTRIES FINEST/DARKEST HOUR

I'm from Hong Kong...here's two quotes from AFC about the city and our soccer
Best moments:
"Hong Kong-China is undoubtedly the sacred football ground in Asia. The Asian Football Confederation used to be headquartered in Hong Kong-China, and the first professional football league in Asia was launched here in 1968"

Worst Moments:
"Once considered the best team in East Asia and capable of challenging the world's top level, Hong Kong-China played in the final round of the 1978 FIFA World Cup™ Asian qualifiers and 8 years later defeated China PR. Since then, the national team seemed to lack a consistent plan, putting in efforts on a match-by-match basis and failing win."

basically, after 1978, the stupid HKFA thought that local players were talented enough to compete in the world, and stopped all aid from other countries and partners with countries that helped train the local league (countries like England, Brasil, top flight countries)...sigh....

About India and WC 1950:

:lol: :mrgreen:

I had heard that too but thought it was just a mean joke. :|

But it's true?!?! :eek:
Damn!!!!

This brings the question for me though, how had they qualified in the first place then?

Did the AFC let them play Asian qualifying matches without shoes or something and they had done that and actually won games? Or did they have shoes for those games? If so, why not for World Cup?

Or perhaps they qualified because not a lot of other Asian teams participated?

There were only 4 Asian teams in the 1950 qualifiers-Myanmar, Philippines, Indonesia and of course India. The other 3 teams withdrew, so we qualified automatically without playing a match.

I didn't bring up this issue in this thread, but looks like Iceman decided it was time for a laugh :p

Well, really hard to figure out Germany's footballing finest hour.

I think the darkest hour certainly was during EURO 2000 with an unmotivated, overaged team led by the incompetent Erich Ribbeck, who fortunately got sacked after the tournament.

To me Germany finest hour was the Euro in 1972. That was the best German team i ever saw: Maier, Breitner, Beckenbauer, Netzer (what a fantastic player), Grabowski, Gerd Muller...they played great football. A fantastic passing game...

The German team in the last WC played very good football too...

There were only 4 Asian teams in the 1950 qualifiers-Myanmar, Philippines, Indonesia and of course India. The other 3 teams withdrew, so we qualified automatically without playing a match.

I understand now. :)

Thanks Abhi.

NOT A DIG AGAINST ENGLAND AS IT WASN'T THEIR "SUPPORTERS" AT FAULT, A BUNCH OF (MI5?) HOOLIGANS MORE LIKE IT, UP 1-0 AGAINST ENGLAND IN DUBLIN, GREAT GAME OF FOOTBALL GOING AND A PACK OF WANKERS STARTS RIPPING UP THE STADIUM, DARK DAY IN IRISH AND ENGLISH FOOTBALL:

yes was a fine moment for the whole of british football

yes was a fine moment for the whole of british football

I hope that's sarcasm but anyways, what exactly do you mean by British football? Are you telling me that England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, all independant footballing nations were disgraced because of the dirty work of some English hooligans on Irish soil? Or are you trying to make it political?

Back
Top Bottom