Beckham
Juninho
R.Carlos
Nakamura
Recoba
C.ronaldo
Mihajlovic

???

I recall a few years back reading a direct free kick attempts/free kicks scored ratio thing. And beckham was actually real low, even like Totti had a better record. Juninho had the best ratio.

Yeah, Id pick Juninho as well. He's the master of freekicks. But I'm a bit confused about the meaning of "modern day" term. If Im meant to select a player among current ones, then it'd be Pjanic who was taught by Juninho anyway. :)

Yeah, Id pick Juninho as well. He's the master of freekicks. But I'm a bit confused about the meaning of "modern day" term. If Im meant to select a player among current ones, then it'd be Pjanic who was taught by Juninho anyway. :)

md90s-present

Juninho. Still doing his thing at Vasco. However, my favourite still remains Beckham. I remember myself pretending to execute those magnificent kicks during my childhood.

I dont mean to be a hater but I think beckaham always gets a bump or two up the ranks due to his fame/looks, no doubt he is one of the best but is he better than recoba et al, some non comercially succseful players

Recoba, Mihalovic, Nakamura...maybe even statistacally score more % and as good free kicks as Beckham but no so famous...Even Theirry Henry takes a mean FK.

Even Pierre van hooijdonk and Roanldinho and riqueleme...in fact I could name 100s.

YouTube - Alvaro Recoba - Top 10 free kicks - the NEW version

YouTube - David Beckham top 10 free kicks

YouTube - Cristiano Ronaldo ultimate free kick collection - HD

YouTube - Sinisa Mihajlovic over 50 free kick goals from Mihajlovic

YouTube - Juninho vs Nakamura

YouTube - Mihajlovic versus van Hooijdonk

YouTube - Ronaldinho Free Kicks

Prob go for Juninho if i had to choose 1 though ;)

And this kinda unknown free kick expert

Oleksandr Aliyev

YouTube - Aliev free kick god // All Aliev free kick league goals in 2010 // Berhan

Last edited:
Yeah, i'd also go for van Hooijdonk. I remember his brilliance vividly. I mean it was his specialty - i even remember a few games where he scored 2 fk goals. He wasn't a great all-around footballer but boy did he free kick! :))

Second one would be Juninho. Another one of the kind where the goalie would prolly know where the shot would go yet be unable to stop it.

Juninho certainly.

Roberto Carlos and C. Ronaldo shouldn't even be on that list.

Mihajlovic and van Hooijdonk as 2nd and 3rd for me.

Roberto Carlos and C. Ronaldo shouldn't even be on that list.

r carlos I agree as I read he scored few free kicks overall. He just scored memorable ones but not many.

But C.ronaldo he scores them every week it seems to me?

No bro.

For every one he scores, he misses like 15 (and even hits the wall or shoots it over the bar) with few even troubling the keeper.

I'd be eager to look at actual stats on amount of freekicks attempted and ones scored by Ronaldo, it must be quite low and not worthy of being mentioned with the world's best in this attribute.

I think there are 2 reasons why over-rate him in this regard.

1) His fame. The same reason, Beckham although a great FK taker is NOT as great as most think he is at it.

2) The BEAUTY of the rare ones he DOES score! Ronaldo misses FK after FK but when he does bend one in, it's GORGEOUS and everybody will remember that goal for some time in their memory! Because he hits them with such power and the ball takes such a weird bend that it's a nice mixture of power + precision and technique and makes for a wonderful goal. I think that stays in heads longer than your average FK goal and helps paint an image of him as an efficient FK taker which I don't think he is.

In fact, him and Messi can improve THIS area of their game quite a LOT still in my opinion. There's definitely room for much improvement.

-------

Pirlo definitely for me out of those last 3 mentioned.

No bro.

For every one he scores, he misses like 15 (and even hits the wall or shoots it over the bar) with few even troubling the keeper.

I'd be eager to look at actual stats on amount of freekicks attempted and ones scored by Ronaldo, it must be quite low and not worthy of being mentioned with the world's best in this attribute.

I think there are 2 reasons why over-rate him in this regard.

1) His fame. The same reason, Beckham although a great FK taker is NOT as great as most think he is at it.

2) The BEAUTY of the rare ones he DOES score! Ronaldo misses FK after FK but when he does bend one in, it's GORGEOUS and everybody will remember that goal for some time in their memory! Because he hits them with such power and the ball takes such a weird bend that it's a nice mixture of power + precision and technique and makes for a wonderful goal. I think that stays in heads longer than your average FK goal and helps paint an image of him as an efficient FK taker which I don't think he is.

In fact, him and Messi can improve THIS area of their game quite a LOT still in my opinion. There's definitely room for much improvement.

-------

Pirlo definitely for me out of those last 3 mentioned.

Actually thats true I read that as a ratio his is very poor I guess R.madrid/man utd got alot off Fks and he miss 10 and score 1 and his technique and style is so rare it looks cool often when he does score?

how about Kaka and micahel bastos?

As a celtic fan I can testify to

Van hooijdonk
Nakamura
Moravcik

Also Larsson was not so bad either. He scored often when he attempted but never took many.

Last edited:
Actually thats true I read that as a ratio his is very poor I guess R.madrid/man utd got alot off Fks and he miss 10 and score 1 and his technique and style is so rare it looks cool often when he does score?

how about Kaka?

As a celtic fan I can testify to

Van hooijdonk
Nakamura
Moravcik

Also Larsson was not so bad either. He scored often when he attempted but never took many.

Exactly!

And I completely agree with you on the Celtic players. Come to think of it, Celtic had some great FK takers. I was gonna mention Moravcik because no one had brought him up yet while other two had gotten their credit which they deserve.

I wouldn't even bother putting Kaka in this thread dude. He's the worst one of all the FK takers mentioned in this thread so far in my opinion. Nothing special at all. Quite mediocre.

Exactly!

And I completely agree with you on the Celtic players. Come to think of it, Celtic had some great FK takers. I was gonna mention Moravcik because no one had brought him up yet while other two had gotten their credit which they deserve.

I wouldn't even bother putting Kaka in this thread dude. He's the worst one of all the FK takers mentioned in this thread so far in my opinion. Nothing special at all. Quite mediocre.

And totti?

Id say Larsson is very good at free kicks but total opposite to C ronaldo.

Larsson would place FKs into the corner with curl and slowish/standard pace. Nothing special but does the job. Maybe he score 1 in 3 as he never took them often. But as they dont look special nooone remembers them unlike R,carlos who takes 100000 free kicks and scores 5 screamers we remember for life therefore he is declared as a free kick god when reality is his ratio is terrible.

Another is THeirry Henry? He seemed to have a decent ration for arsenal.

Other Celtic player who was good at FKS but not so famous was ALan Thomson ad shuan Maloney pretty good also. But id say neither World class experts though perhaps Thomson slightly better!

And a Rangers player called Jorg Albertz Used to score piledriver FKs all the time also. I think tbf he should be mention in this list but also not so famous!!! Come to think of it that reminds me off another German Andreas Thom had a mean shot!!

and a bit further back we have koeman, also think de boer not bad...but when does it stop lol

Last edited:
Larsson and Henry were good. Same goes for Totti. Not great but good and nice enough ratios and I agree about what you said about their techniques and about Roberto Carlos.

Alan Thompson I loved watching at his PEAK and in his peak, he was good enough to play for England NT even imo! Though of course massively under-rated by all those in England. FK wise though, him and Maloney are decent/good but nothing special again I'd say. Larsson was better than them even imo and of course he doesn't belong in the same category as likes of Nakamura or van Hooijdonk! Those 2 were GREAT!

Also mentions to
And perhaps Zidane?
Good point about Zidane, is a good free kick taker whit Bordeaux score alot but after whit Juve and Real let's Del Piero, Roberto Carlos and Beckham shoot, but score some crucial goal like vs England or Spain and it's very rare can shoot free kick with the right and left foot !

define modern..

Juninho with C.Ronaldo produced some free kicks on regular basis that i haven´t seen by any other player.

then there are free kick takers i follow so i know for example Gerrard is pretty good, Ibrahimovic as well...others on regular basis.. i have no idea..

btw, nice someone mentioned Ľubomír Moravčík :)

C.Ronaldo have strangely a terrible stats on free kick whit Madrid in 2011 score 5 goals on 112 free kick !

I really think Alonso can do better :CONFUSE:

Back
Top Bottom