What is it like to be married?

I think you're right, there is no need to get married...i got married because i knew my wife would be very happy if we did...but i don't feel different now than before my marriage.

I think in a lot of cases that's it. It's for women to have 'their' big day and be the centre of attention and look beautiful in front of everyone. For men I dont think it really makes any difference.

:LMAO:

Me and Will are practically married- we're engaged, getting married in the next 2 years when we can afford it, does it count?

exactly the reason why i'll never marry. i think marriage is a joke and a complete waste of money. you may as well just burn however many thousands you spent.

what do you get out of it? a certificate and an unnecessary hassle whenever you decide to divorce (which is pretty inevitable nowadays, especially if you get married before you turn 30)

as fd says, he doesn't feel any different. why not just continue to live together and save all that money and hassle further down the line if (when) things do go pearshaped?

this is 2009 - nobody gets married nowadays! there is ABSOLUTELY no advantage in doing so. only disadvantages. unless you manage to bag yourself a millionaire (then of course, it's common sense to marry the bitch)

wow! you gotta pretty sad look on things! Well in america there are definatley certain advantages to getting married, mostly due to with taxes. But thats a fucking lame reason to get married. Its really a sense of showing commitment to someone you love. And you dont have to spend tons of money to get married....

. Its really a sense of showing commitment to someone you love. And you dont have to spend tons of money to get married....

Well gomito, i'm married myself but i think living together with somebody also is showing commitment to someone you love and now that i think of it, the same is true for lat-realations and every kind of relation...Me i don't care being married, i knew my wife loved it, so i did for her...When i proposed the first thing i said was: "we have to talk"...afterwards she said that she thought i was going to finish our relation...so far for being romantic...

Yeah I think eventually your children will ask you why your not married. I remember when I was younger, I asked my dad a lot of questions about his relationship.

My Auntie and Uncle have been together for 30 years this year. They have 3 children and have never married.

My parents met because of my Uncle knowing my dad and him being with my Mums sister. They introduced my Mum to my dad and my parents have been together for 29 years this year - but they got married within a year.....because my mum was pregnant with me :DD

So it's different for everybody.

wow! you gotta pretty sad look on things! Well in america there are definatley certain advantages to getting married, mostly due to with taxes. But thats a fucking lame reason to get married. Its really a sense of showing commitment to someone you love. And you dont have to spend tons of money to get married....

do you reckon? i think i have a pretty sound grasp on what's important in life and whats superfluous crap, with marriage coming under the later. but each to their own. i understand how someone would want to get married and show that commitment to the one they love... and fair play to them. i wish them all the best...

but here in the uk, there are definitely NO advantages to getting married nowadays. people who co-habit only have to declare that they are 'partners' and they get the EXACT same rights as a married couple and they also reap all the financial benefits that come with marriage. therefore, what's the point?

and obviously, i know you can get married in a registry office for £50, and potentially save thousands.

imo, marraige is obsolescent. and it won't be long before it's gone forever...

it is a shame, but you have to move with the times...

I can see the case for both sides and as MJ says you get most of the same rights just living together though they are not exactly the same, some of the laws and relating stuff still classes you differently...

I think the fact getting a divorce is so easy and simple does not help, I know a few people who have tied the knot knowing it's not for life but it works for them at the time.

One girl I know got married while she was seeing someone else just for the life style her husband could offer...

Mind you I also think people should be sterilized at birth and have to get a licence and pass certain intelligence and economic tests by law before they can be allowed to breed.
It's harder to get a TV licence than it is to bring a human being into this world, kids are not a career choice...

Mind you I also think people should be sterilized at birth and have to get a licence and pass certain intelligence and economic tests by law before they can be allowed to breed.
It's harder to get a TV licence than it is to bring a human being into this world, kids are not a career choice...

my god! the is the greatest single thing i have ever read in my life!! :APPLAUD:

that thought has never ever crossed my mind, but it makes soooo much sense!

just look at that kid in the news last week, alfie. 13 years old and already a father.

i had to laugh out loud when the journalist asked him how he was going to support the kid financially - 'what's financially?' he replied... tragic - truly tragic!

i guess i'ts mainly a matter of point of views. if u look at marriage from an atheistic point of view, it can seem pretty pointless actually, as today common-law marriages give almost the same rights a proper marriage gives (excepts some inheritance rights and the sons legitimation process).

but in the end, marriage is a ritual, so the religious point of view should be its proper allocation.

and from a religious point of view (not necessarily christian) marriage's role can't be questioned. it doesn't matter wheter it brings advantages or not, as, from a spiritual point of view, marriage doesn't serve any other purposes rather than the ritual itself.
and from this point of view, marriage is a celebration of love and devotion, wich is testified by the will of the bridegrooms to "dedicate themselves to each others" for the rest of their lives ("commitment", as gerd pointed out).

so it doesn't really matter if marriage can give any sort of benefits or advantages, because, from this point of view, marriage has no other "points" or "purposes" than marriage itself.

as for the economic point, well marriage is not really expensive. i mean the religious ritual is extremely cheap (at least in the christian culture... in some other cultures, the wedding ritual itself can be extremely expensive)... what can be expensive is what comes after (the wedding reception party).... but then again, wheter to have a fancy party or not, it's up to u.

nick cave said:
well i don't know about the sterilization part, but i definitely agree with u on the main point: some people really shouldn't be allowed to generate children.

marukomu said:
I taught her English. Big mistake because now I have to talk to her.
:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Apart from the benefits I mentioned above, the ceremony was absolutely unforgettable. It was like something out of an old samurai movie with an old woman playing the koto and singing and a priest with a tall hat dancing around with this strange white frilly paper wand thing.
Funny part was, I had an interpreter that wasn't that good and when we had to drink sake from a cup, she said "Drink the sake". I gulped it down and then she said "Three times". I then had to pass it to the wife but there was none left.

Back
Top Bottom