What have you done Konami? (very disappointed by PES 2008 demo)

Remember its the first game of the new generation, just like Winning Eleven 5 (PES2) was on the PS2.

Yes it is the 1st of the next gen but the prombles quoted in a lot of pes forums is that the game is base on the PS2 engine. And that is why we are seeing players skating on ice at times and the ball physics of the PS2 and not the PS3 or 360/PC.

The players do seem floaty thought the ball control in dribble seems tighter the feel of the player in your control seem a lot lot lighter.

I played FIFA07 for a while but didn't like it as much as PES6 (PC) but there were a lot of things I would have love to have seen in PES that were in FIFA, ball physics being one of them.

I had a go at the demo of FIFA08 doesn't run well on my PC but the thing about the PC of that is its not Next Gen only the PS3 and 360 are Next Gen. Even so the way you could score goal in FIFA08 even in the PC version is greater than in PES2008. If you listen to the team that built it they ripped up the old game enigne and built a new one for next gen same with the ball physics. There are about 8 to 10 different factors that go into the physics of the ball and it shows, konami have taken the PS2 engine and built onto it some next gen features and it shows its like a coat of paint the new one covers the old one but you can still see the shade of the old one through the new.

That is why a good lot of the, as some said quirks of PES of the PS2 are still in this Next Gen game.

Last edited:
pesriprn5.jpg

Look what I´ve found :lmao:

Ok, I'm going to post a little review here. Please take your time to read it.

Yesterday, I was very dissapointed with the demo. It just didn't play like PES, but today I've had a slight change of heart.

This game is everything PES6 should have been but it doesn't warrant the title next gen as the improvements are minimal.

Passing - Sometimes it's smooth and I love when you can actually pick out exactly who you are aiming for. But far too many passes go astray and it really pisses me off when the player you wish to receive the pass, is standing still waiting for the ball while the pass is intercepted.

Shooting - Konami couldn't be bothered to change the shooting animations so they could have at least given us a good shooting system. Obviously you have to charge the bar up a lot more than in PES6, but on many occasions when I cut inside and shoot, the bar is almost full yet the shot will bounce before reaching the goalkeeper, so it's hit and miss. The animations just look unrealistic.

Long Pass - Long passes are improved and there is a lot more pace behind them, could be better though. Long Pass type 4 is highly reccomended as is PES6 to pick out exactly who you want.

Free Kicks - Very much improved, I haven't noticed any new animations but they are A LOT easier to get on target, even from 35+ yards you can test the keeper, which is great. It seems the players Free Kick stats have been reduced to allow for easier coded free kicks. Some may say it will be too easy to score, but I think I only score 3 or 4 free kicks in my PES6 Master League, so I welcome this change.

Goalkeepers - Poor at best, they fumble weak shots and rarely hold on to low shots. They also make a ton of mistakes. Konami obviously haven't put any work into them.

Dribbling - Haven't really got used to it yet but at the moment it just feels as if I don't have as much control over the players as I would like. It seems...just....clumsy, can't quite find the word.

Collision Detection - Bad. Maybe the PS3 version will be different, but from the PC demo it's just bad. Plays feet go throught the ball as the line up a shot, their feet go into the grass, they kick the ball without actually making contact. It's not a huge worry, it wouldn't be top of the list for things that need to be fixed, but afterall, this is next gen now, no more of this bullshit.

Speed - The first thing I noticed people complaining about was the speed of the game. I don't really have a problem with it, I'll make up my mind when I play the PS3 Demo because it could just be my PC.

Diving - I was very much against this addition but it is pretty fun. My one problem with it is the inconsistency. When you dive and it really does look like a foul, you get booked. Yet on many occasion my dive has been delayed (very annoying) and I have ened up diving when there is no real pressure on me, yet I win free kicks, just now, I won a penalty with Villa with a very obvious dive.

Overall, good game but could and should be a lot better.

8/10

Obviously, I tried FIFA 08 (in a PS3 by the way), and though I think it's not as good as PES4 or WE6FE, I possibly will grab it, I like the slow pace, collision detections are quite good, ball physics are sometimes very good and sometimes a little iffy, and goalkeepers are also a bit irregular. If PES had been simply good, had had manual options and no cheats and a good ML and some midfield gameplay, it would have been the choice, but all my friends are also jumping to fifa, too much gameplay modes and gameplay wise is something new to master. Initially, I struggled a lot with the game, but I find exciting to battle for the midfield and there's sense even in wasting time because it's hard to score.

You got the point there Drekkard. I also tried FIFA08 demo in PS3. Yep, it's hard to score goals but I thought it's because the other players are not helping with their "without the ball movements". Although it got a lot better than the previous version but I can really still feel that it's so FIFA, maybe the kind of arcade feeling which we don't get from PES until this PES2008 :D
All in all I still prefer PES2008 than FIFA, but something is really need to be done about that collision control and those balls' ricochet.
Btw, what do you mean about PES not having the manual options?

...If fifa 08 for XBOX was converted for PC, I think fifa 08 would rule both for PC and console :( at least this year..

It would be alot closer a competition, imv; right now, it's an easy decision for me...FIFA 08 for the 360 (comes out first anyway), and PES 2008 for PC (b/c the enhancements of the community bring the other portions of the game up to the gameplay).

It did play too fast at first, I thought; unchecking the frames box in "Settings" made all the difference for me. Little things could be better, but its still a great experience. Can't wait to see what Juice and others do to it!

Graphics are very good. But i'd rather have decent running animations.
I'm still checking my settings to see which gives me the smoothest gameplay. As somebody mentioned before, this is the 1st next gen so we should give them a break? I dont think so. I already did that when the series moved from the playstation 1 to playstation 2. I bought pes2 and was so disappointed. OK graphics were very nice compared to ps1 but the gameplay really sucked. I'm getting the same feeling all over again.

And the nets...they REALLY suck.
I'm really hoping things will change in the final version, but i fear it will be the same.
No new licenses, pitches suck, stadiums suck. Sure with some patching it can be nice again, but come on Konami!!

I tried the fifa demo for pc as well, but really do not like it. Bad graphics, i have no feeling of control when shooting and i think the ball looks much too big.

Ill stick with my patched pes6 this year. Played it again yesterday to see the difference and made a real cracking goal with Eto. It felt good, unlike the goals i scored on pes2008 sofar.

I'm going to give the demo lots more time, perhaps i will grow into it.

due to my slow connection speed, I can't download the demo. so I'm asking ones who have played it, does it really implement moving hair and kits as they had promised?

i think that it's a first and great try in nextgen engine...
i think that konami can make a great soccer simulator game, but remember (?) that this pes2008 is the FIRST TRY...

Yesterday i thought too, that this is feeling like FIFA, but after 40 Games or so since the Demo is out, i can say it will be a good one :)

Its more realistic in the Way that you can´t shoot into the topcorner out of any distance and any player, to score from the midfield, except you take Adriano, lovely called "Bugdriano" its not that easy to score a goal, the only thing that sucks is the Moving Animation and the far to fast crosses, you have to train a lot until you can handle it without any problems \\:o/

im looking forward to get the Game on my hands on October the 25th, until now I´m trying to live with what i got :mrgreen:

After 20 Games i thought, man this is crap
after 40 Games and some stunning combinations and goals i say, can it even be better?
Sure it can, but I´m good with it :)

i think that it's a first and great try in nextgen engine...
i think that konami can make a great soccer simulator game, but remember (?) that this pes2008 is the FIRST TRY...

I am not so forgiving in this respect. As i mentioned before they already made this mistake once when moving the series fm ps1 to ps2.
Now i'm supposed to be ok with it because the graphics are next gen? i dont think so.

Besides that : try there is not, only do or not do (Yoda)

Elfie

I disagree completely. To arrive at PES6 required 4 years of tweaking and work from Seabass and his team, coming from PES2.
The problem is since it is a new engine, everything cannot be translated identically. Ideally it would have been the same PES6 but with nextgen graphics, but the whole engine was updated as well. ;)
Besides, the level of animation and detail, even analog movement, possible with the new generation will exceed the previous PS2 generation. As I said the PS2 gen had nowhere else to go. It was maxed out, graphically and phyisics wise. :shock:

The first try is always the hardest, as EVERYTHING changes.
The most important is to get the graphics engine right as this will remain for the remainder of the generation. :roll:
However, animation and physics, these are tweaked and worked on over time. They could not release a perfect game I hope you realize that, because of TIME and money constraints. It would take them 3 more years to make a perfect new-gen PES, and these guys don´t work for free.
I agree it can be a lot better, but as I said Konami has never let us down, and Seabass will achieve newgen greatness as the versions come to pass. Or wasn´t PES3 much much better PES2 was? ;)
Regards

Last edited:
I have played the demo on high detail but have not seen any moving hair or kits.

what the hell was it with the trailer then? they promised to give moving kits and hair this year, I can't believe it could possibly be another lie, another broken promise, another step down... Konami, what have you become?

They need to give we players an option to disable replay videos for those who have serious drops in FPS....I know this is supposed to be a next-gen game but Konami ought to know that it's not everyone who can pay for a PC upgrade...PCs up to 2 years old ought to be able to play this game in medium settings at least. Great demo though.

although i speak from a background of mainly the ps2 version of the game, i have every year tried the pc demo. i can conclude that indeed after about an hour or so of play on pes2008, i thought to myself, this feels very much like fifa does.

i must add however that imo this has always been the case with the pc version of the game, the players had always felt much "lighter" and the collisions much less significant. whereas the corresponding ps2 version has been an absolute treat to play.

as is popular belief if you want to play pes2008 the way it is meant to be played and with the most satisfaction, you need a ps3.

closing note, i strongly believe that the pro evolution series has only ever gone from strength to strength and am totally confident that pes2008 will be no different.

Elfie

I disagree completely. To arrive at PES6 required 4 years of tweaking and work from Seabass and his team, coming from PES2.
The problem is since it is a new engine, everything cannot be translated identically. Ideally it would have been the same PES6 but with nextgen graphics, but the whole engine was updated as well. ;)
Besides, the level of animation and detail, even analog movement, possible with the new generation will exceed the previous PS2 generation. As I said the PS2 gen had nowhere else to go. It was maxed out, graphically and phyisics wise. :shock:

The first try is always the hardest, as EVERYTHING changes.
The most important is to get the graphics engine right as this will remain for the remainder of the generation. :roll:
However, animation and physics, these are tweaked and worked on over time. They could not release a perfect game I hope you realize that, because of TIME and money constraints. It would take them 3 more years to make a perfect new-gen PES, and these guys don´t work for free.
I agree it can be a lot better, but as I said Konami has never let us down, and Seabass will achieve newgen greatness as the versions come to pass. Or wasn´t PES3 much much better PES2 was? ;)
Regards

Ok, of course you are right about that. I just cant understand how they got the running animations so wrong. For me gameplay is important. But after that, the atmosphere makes the game a winner or loser.
Konami have been sloppy with that but due to all the great "patchers" i was able to get the perfect game. You can really feel like playing real championsleague with my patched pes 6.

So, when i patch pes2008 even with the most beautifull shirts and boots and whatever, the players running will still look so damn crappy.
No patcher in the world will be able to fix it.

My only hope is that on the wide cam which will be in the full game is more forgiving on this part. I'm not even complaining about the gameplay, although i feel its not to my liking right now.
I just really feel they missed something important here. And surely running animations are not the most difficult thing in the world

Last edited:
Ok, of course you are right about that. I just cant understand how they got the running animations so wrong.
So, when i patch pes2008 even with the most beautifull shirts and boots and whatever, the players running will still look so damn crappy.
No patcher in the world will be able to fix it.

And you are right, I agree. They move their arms and legs too fast, they stick their chest out at top speed. But then other animations are better than before, especially ball handling animations.
However, we should expect flaws, and since a while ago I have been prepared to be somewhat forgiving. It´s their first effort. 2 new consoles, new engine, new graphics, new narration. That´s a lot of freakin work and something had to be not completely right.

And I´m sure Konami isn´t blind and they will fix it by PES 2009. And trust me, by PES 2010, we will have the most amazing PES ever, with patches, it will be like being at the stadium.
Yet, its a process. One we lived with the PS2 and one I realize we need to experience somewhat again. But think of FIFA, it´s a process they have been in for 10 years, trying all sorts of stuff, without luck. Trust Konami. :roll:
The game is really good, except for a few things. It is just different. It´s a bit less precise than PES6, yet somehow it feels right. The trough passes, the passes, the freekicks. They improved presentation, graphics, perhaps commentary. Many things we had been asking for a while. So let´s wait for them to perfect the formula again.
I think some here are dissapointed because we have been so spoiled by Konami during the years, yet it would be ungrateful to crucify them when they are at the beginning of a new future videogame superstar ;)

after 50 games i said, DIE :D

LOOOOOL

it's hard to accept but the sad truth is:

Seabass is clearly heading towards FIFA-like arcadish gameplay with the WE/PES series.

but dont be too depressed due to the fact that good next-gen versions of sports video games in general (also refering to NBA Live 08/NBA 2K8) will only be released from next year, fall 2008, on.

this year, 2007, they all simply wanted to give us the overwhelming experience with their games but fact is, they got stuck in something too complex for them to handle, let alone all the collision detection/locomotion type of problems with the upcoming titles.

true next-gen we will see next year.

and people who want tv-realistic video games even have to wait until PlayStation 4 comes out.

dont be mad, go out and play some real-life footie with your friends, and as the weather sucks by now, you can always go to the gym and play there.

peace

The ball's weight is not a football, I think it's a basketball.
the ball cannot bounce. I think PES2k8 has a phycial engine error.

Back
Top Bottom