What have you done Konami? (very disappointed by PES 2008 demo)

the game plays in a nice pace i feel.. but the players' movements and responses are abit slow? or is it just me?

dislike:
1. new net.. doesn't have the 'feel' when its a goal.
2. slow motion replays.. i rather it be in normal speed since we can control it.
3. crowd and field textures.
4. penalty angle (saving)..
5. players seems to be like on ice sometimes..

2 cents.

Last edited:
Just played the demo. PES is still the king!! This is better thank PES6.

Graphics are amazing. (better than fifa08)

Goals seems easy just because the CPU AI sucks at the moment. I hope the make it better.

The only drawbacks are the unreal animation when the players are running and turning 180o so fast, like the don't have weight and the ball during the long passes. The ball seems to be too heavy, like a rock or something. Of course these are minor details that I can live with.

Thanks Konami again for one excellent game

PS. I played the new fifa as well and it is not too bad. I think the gap is closing fast. (by copying PES of course)

I've not tried it yet, but I'm making myself an idea of what I'll find once I'll start playing..

I just have to suggest all the ones who got disappointed not to give up. I remember I was in LOVE with pes4 and I was about to swear I'd have never played PES anymore when I first played PES5, but then it turned out being the best PES I've ever played and I'm still playing a ML with it. Yes, I'm not much a fan of PES6, no ML or online for me, just matches against friends.

And I play konami games since ISS (hence the Kleimann name) so I've seen practically ALL of them except PES and PES2 (just played them at friends' houses because I don't have a PS2).

So I'm looking forward to it..

Its only a demo people, demo=unfinished game, wait for the real thing then decide if it good or not.

What's the point of a demo if it isn't to demonstrate the full game? There are no guarantees the final product will be any better than this demo because this is what Konami has released for people to make their buying decision on.

FCDB, Doesn't 6.5GB include all-language commentating, e_text.asf(changed name this version anyway-)?
Recommended requirement of harddrive of PES6 did include them all.-it said you need about 3.4GB,
but if you chose to install just one language, you just needed 1.4GB. I don't think many things will change for retail version.
Of course, I hope many things will get better..

If fifa 08 for XBOX was converted for PC, I think fifa 08 would rule both for PC and console :( at least this year..

Last edited:
Keeper is no more a super-man , I like that. .ball is heavier, making scoring more easier, but defense and AI is better.

thing is, fifa has major issues with the game like the poor shooting of the ball, crap AI and the matrix style pace of the game, weather in pes08 it has only minor issues

i think he meant "WHETHER".

the meaning of his sentence was supposed to be "fifa has a lot of major issues, WHILE pes has only minor ones" I guess

EDIT: FCDB has just been quicker explaining it ;)

Last edited:
- DEFENDING: Defending positioning is poor at its best. Again 5 or 6 players inside small area is the only thing CPU can do to defend. Again CB doing stupid runs out of position. Still Side backs being NEVER in position. The player will be at 1 inch from the ball and don't grab it for any reason, too fustrating when you have the feeling of playing alone. Positioning doesn't mean a thing in this game.

- COLLISIONS: Plain awful. It's a lottery and neither does the position, speed or any logical attribute seem to affect in a coherent way. I've seen the ball trespassing everything all the time, when pressing a player you don't have any sense of physical struggle. Really I wouldn't trust anyone who defends this collision engine.

- BALL PHYISICS: Deflections are real fun. I laughed a lot at them. Match Day had more coherent deflections than this game. Last year the deflections went straight to the nearest CPU guy. Now they go to ANY CPU guy, in an unprecedented twost of physic laws or any logic. Simply put, deflections seem to be runned by a 3 or 4 lines-length script. The behaviour of the ball in passes is too heavy, like playing in jupiter gravity, and it seems a little steel ball sliding in glass. It's like a pinball.

- SHOOTING: Scripted again and letting you not much freedom. Sometimes even if you aim for the near post, the shot will go to the farthest. In 1 vs 1, most times the ball just goes straight to the keeper, like last year, even if you were pressing the "finesse shot" with R2.

- NETS: They move quite well, but honestly, that shape hurts my eyes, it's like an amateur field.

- OVERALL GAMEPLAY: End to end action, no midfield at all, you don't need to build up. Overall, the positioning and runs of players are so odd that simply one or two passes will let you alone with the goalkeeper, playing the wings is so easy.

- DIFFICULTY: The only thing Konami has done in recent years is adding scripting to the gameplay, thus making his most beloved patterns emerge and reducing your freedom as a player. This edition involve major cheating by the cpu again, the typical "oh, no, now your team is shit by no reason and the speed of the passing is reduced to 50% and you miss chances and a single CPU player can pass through (literally, no clipping there) anyone. They will outrun you if they must while your striker is being caught, but suddenly the game unblocks again and you score easily. Overall, you don't control the pace of the game AT ALL.

-FLAWS: Is it worth mentioning that cutbacks are again in?

- GRAPHICS: Faces are awesome. Really. Crowd is not that bad, I quite like it in HIGH settings, there's a technical challenge there to improve that. Stadiums are weak in my opinion. Pitches are not very good, just ok.

- ANIMATIONS: Quite poor. Ridiculous when running, really. Besides, it seems there's no procedural animation, so one animation begins when the prior one finishes. That's the feeling and it's odd. While FIFA demo struggled in response times, this one is like having to wait for one animation to begin the next one.

- TEAMVISION: ehem... ehem... we will pass this one.

Well, I'm too let down by this crap demo. Konami is being so lazy, so greedy that they're not worth of the money. PES6 was the worst one, general consensus there even between fanbase. Now it's going down quickly. It's a shame because I was obsessed with the pes series, playing off and online until pes6 came. But now I don't feel the urge to play this game. Even if they added dog heads to the edit section.

I laugh when I hear people talking about being only a demo and the final product a huge huge improvement. Nonsense. If you know, even barely, how a game is developed, you know the last 2 months are used to tweak, polish and marketing and distribution. After the so-called 2 years in development (the only reason that would take 2 years to develop is that only 15 people were working on it), the demo represents the major aspects of the game, and the core engines are there (they simply ported the ps2 egnine to next-gen, obviously). There won't be any significant change in the game, not in the physics, not in the collisions detections, not in the atmosphere, not in gameplay modes, not in features. Really, I had big hopes for this game, but Konami deserves a big slap.

Last edited:
Obviously, I tried FIFA 08 (in a PS3 by the way), and though I think it's not as good as PES4 or WE6FE, I possibly will grab it, I like the slow pace, collision detections are quite good, ball physics are sometimes very good and sometimes a little iffy, and goalkeepers are also a bit irregular. If PES had been simply good, had had manual options and no cheats and a good ML and some midfield gameplay, it would have been the choice, but all my friends are also jumping to fifa, too much gameplay modes and gameplay wise is something new to master. Initially, I struggled a lot with the game, but I find exciting to battle for the midfield and there's sense even in wasting time because it's hard to score.

And if FIFA is not as good as I hope, then I will double my gym sessions to pass the time (I don't do lifts, I play indoor footvolley, which is a hell of a minoritary game).

Last edited:
For me it's always the best Football game and the graphics are fantastic ... i think we can make really better on editing kits, faces, boots and all so for the moment we need to find how to change that .... like ggs and dkz studio for PES6 i hope so

That´s the attitude. :applause:

I've played PES since ISS so please no hating.

Got to say I'm disappointed with both the X360 and PC demos of PES2008.

I'll start by saying what I think is improved over PES5 (still IMO the best yet)...

Shooting. Seems much more meaty. Now you have to hold the shoot button for a long time to get the ball off of the ground. Top stuff and very satisfying, especially as you can now power daisy cutters into the back of the net.
Slide tackles. Still excellent and now feel more weight driven.
Players making more intelligent runs off the ball. Nice.
Nets. Love em'
Heading. Very good still.

Ok, so now to the bad and downright terrible stuff...

Running with the ball and shooting animations as well as various player animations. Just awful. This used to be Konami's strong suit.
Graphics for the pitch and crowd. Oh dear.
Goalkeepers. They spill the ball at very strange angles far too often and some of the saves are comical to say the least.
The collision detection when tussling for the ball. Crap.

The bad points just don't overcome the plus points as in previous versions and with the dodgy animations I feel that I'm not immersed in the game anymore. I used to feel like there were 22 miniature versions of their real life counterparts running around on my monitor. Gerrard would stornm up and down the pitch. Viera was imperious in the centre, Beckham's passing and freekicks were magnificent.

Now I just see some floaty sprites skating around on a strange looking pitch running very weirdly and shooting even more weirdly. Oh well, I guess there's always next year?

Fifa for PC and PS2 is crap. But for PS3 and X360, the game is improved a lot, and I mean A LOT - I would take Fifa08 (next gen) over PES2008 any day of the week, and I've been a fanboy of PES series from PES3.
Pes will have a real problem this year on next-gen consoles, Konami must start working again, cos their lazyness will cost them.

Yes try Fifa , you will have good laugh every day.

My opinions are based on more than 8 years playing pes, and it would be nice if you make any comment about the points I raised. Ellaborate a little and explain and defend why do you think things like the collisions or the ball physics or the positioning are good in this game.

On the other side, about FIFA I've put a week of testing and now playing final game in a friend's house. And once you are able to think that's a different game than pes and you WON'T master it after having put a lot of hours, then maybe you discover very good things in it, as I am, mainly the points I spotted: AI, collisions, real manual pass and 360º shoot and cross. Granted, it's very difficult and at first you miss the big amounts of chances you always have in pes. But it's not very realistic to have 10 shots to goal in a 5 minutes demo of pes, isn't it?

Drekkard , I played every Fifa and not few matches, this game is ridicoulus, its shit not football, PES6 was worst game in serie, PES2008 is better even in demo, I doubt anyone who has ever seen football in TV, or played it himself, can say Fifa is playable. Its shit. I mean Fifa 08 XBox360, Fifa on PC is just ....

Well, a lot of people think it's not shit at all. I've played football at semiprofessional level, in FC Barcelona, and I tell you FIFA and PES are both very far from being a simulation of football, not at all. But, the fundamentals of football, that are technique and phyisical contact, positioning and pace, are far better represented in FIFA than in PES in next gen efforts, even if it makes for a fun game or not. which is based in other things.

By the way, saying something is playable or something resembles tv football are different things. PES5 didn't seem a tv football match at all but was highly playable. In my opinion, you want a fun, fast and easy game, not a hard and slow one. It's all on opinions, but please explain me in which way collisions and ball phyisics of PES are better than the ones in FIFA.

Last edited:
honestly, i have to admit every year when konami release the demo of the new upcoming pes game, thre is ALWAYS a thread or two which has people complaining about bugs, or how bad the game is.

i've been playing since the ISS series and i've loved the game ever since. i see every new game release as a new challenge and i agree the AI is much better, and you cant shoot from crazy distances liek 40yards like in pes6. its more realistic and looks better

i reckon its the same people every year complainig about the bugs lol

i've tried the fifa08 demo already, and im not that impressed with it. i've got fifa 04,06 and 07 and the ball physics was HORRIBLE. which turned me away from the game in the first place. the ball seems to bobble and feels really weird. maybe i'm used to pes games or something.

Last edited:
People chill.
Yes there are several things to correct, many many changes from the previous generation. So we will have to get used to it. If people complained when moving from PES4 to PES5 to PES6 then it´s no surprise they are complaining now as it´s a totally new game.

Remember its the first game of the new generation, just like Winning Eleven 5 (PES2) was on the PS2.
I think it is a good start. The PC version will be the best by far once the modding community gets their hands on the game and begins updating uniform textures, pitches, stadiums, balls, etc. I think we have a good base to start a new generation, and it will become much more refined as future versions arrive.
Konami will improve animations, they will improve camera angles and ball physics. But we couldn´t have a leap to a new generation and expect a perfect game in their first real try.
I can see it is a real leap if compared to the first of the PS2 games, as we cannot compare the most refined of a previous generation, with the first of a new generation. In a couple of years the game will be much better. When in fact the PS2 or current gen version had nowhere else to go.
So please calm down, let´s wait for Konami. Or have they let us down before? No other sport has the fortune of having a game that closely simulates their sport like we have in PES.
It´s time to move away from the D-Pad. Just play it. Get used to it. I´m sure most people here complaining are outside their comfort zone. But like every previous PES, it grows on you, and if we come back to PES6 in 6 months, I guarantee we will realize the much better game PES2008 is and the bigger potential.
About the graphics? I think they are magnificent. Or did you expect FPS quality in a game with 25 models rendered at the same time? Or which baseball, basketball, or american football game has the model details that this version has? none.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom