UEFA EURO 2016 France / Tournament schedule in 1. post

ok zlac so which are correct methods after massive protests, petitions, starting court cases and after all pushing through new sport law in pre-election time making politicians adopting it (which is still, of course, not enforced)?

So this is how it feels to play against us. Solid defending from Iceland with dangerous counters, it was a well deserved 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqoVETL_zrU

(just watch it in 0.25 speed)

...or should i say that idiot in yellow kit stole 2 points from us buying that fake ass penalty. Still hope it can be enough for something.

ok zlac so which are correct methods after massive protests, petitions, starting court cases and after all pushing through new sport law in pre-election time making politicians adopting it (which is still, of course, not enforced)?

You already listed most of them. There is only one key ingredient missing - persistence. Day-in, day-out if necessary - that is, if the protestors really believe in what they're fighting for. One-day wonders have no effect in these parts of Balkans. Large tent perhaps?

After all Ronaldo is not such a dick as he portrayed by the media. He just let that guy do a pic with him who ran in the pitch after the final whistle...after such a disappointing game.

EURO 2016 will be remembered for the fans riots and fights more than football... im sad about what has become from this sport and how people in europe behave...

i don´t even want to watch this anymore... perhaps only my NT just to see how they will do.. other than that, it has been a disasteur from French security and from fans behaviour perspective...

After two matches Iniesta is head and shoulders the best player in this tournament.

Totally agree Gerd, although he did give the ball away once the other night, but that shouldn't happen again until around November.

The other so called 'stars' have produced very little so far. Ibrahimovic has been virtually anonymous and I'm not even sure he's broken into a run yet. Surely someone who is by far their team's best player should be taking the game by the scruff of the neck and leading by example. Ronaldo, while having a few chances tonight, hasn't really done a lot and neither has Bale. Yes he's scored two free kicks that were hit well but both were only goals due to poor goalkeeping.

The best performances so far for me were probably Iniesta, as Gerd says and I also think Hamsik has shown his class for Slovakia. Modric has also played very well. And Diego Payet has had his moments and a superb goal in the opening game.

hope Puma are never making condoms :D
lol

gabe, I think England's making 6 changes tonight. Rooney, Alli, Kane, Sterling, Rose and Walker all sitting down for Henderson, Wilshire, Vardy, Sturridge, Clyne and Bertrand. I think it'd be good and they should be able to score on Slovakia...but I think Slovakia will also score against this team...just hope England does enough to win it...

England are definitely not as good as the media (especially here!) are saying... this will not be a walk in the park for them for sure.

I think it's a bit of risk making six changes, as if we finish 3rd we could well end up playing Spain. We never seem to have any continuity in our national side, Hodgson is constantly changing things around. Still at least he's finally dropping Sterling.

Henderson offers nothing, I don't have a clue what he does except run around enthusiastically. My brother in law is a Liverpool fan and feels the same way.

I've been impressed with Slovakia so far Pippa and I hope they get to the knockout stages too.

i've been watching international competitions since 1990 world cup in italy, but this euro is the worst competition i've ever seen.

something needs to be changed, either rules or competition format, this is so boring to watch.

Slovakia are a disgrace. It looks as if they have 7 defenders and a gkr on the pitch.
Liked their goals against Russia, but this a very bad performance. The lowest techical level i've seen this tournament.

Last edited:
I think it's a problem with football in general in recent times. So many teams play not to lose rather than to try and win.

i've been watching international competitions since 1990 world cup in italy, but this euro is the worst competition i've ever seen.

something needs to be changed, either rules or competition format, this is so boring to watch.

......by far the worst, in and out of the picth, the only good thing is this tournment is Iceland and Albania, until now.

This new format doesn't make any sense.....

we played what we needed to - not to lose, it was all about the tactics... in the end we were lucky not to get 5 goals minimum... but if you compare the players our team was against, we should be happy with 3rd, especially with big Russia going home... my country has 5 milion people... im proud on what we achieved.. still hockey is our major sport anyway... don´t know about English or Welsh hockey, but im pretty sure we would beat them in that sport :P

Copa America matches were endless attacking...beautiful stuff end to end. These Euros are a bore fest :COAT: I hope the semis improve :CRY:

edit: Ty Wales \0/

Last edited:
well sometimes football is also about capable defences... i rather see a fight than what happend to Mexico against Chile...

i can´t agree on that about Copa America, since i have not watched it that much..

since when we label teams disgrace Gerd for not playing attacking football, trust me, my country would play different if the tournament didn´t allow us to get to next round with a draw tonight + each game tactics is a result of the global outcome...we are through and that was our aim... we can´t ask for anything more.. not every country has talent like Belgium... we are small country without any infrastructure and money in sport, without having to rely on kids of immigrants who have realy better physicall attributes and therefore advantages... well almos t no east european country has this advantage, because i realy consider it advantage... + we focus on two major sports in our country, and we are doign pretty good... so i wouldn´t call our third place a disgrace... just on that matter.

well sometimes football is also about capable defences... i rather see a fight than what happend to Mexico against Chile...

i can´t agree on that about Copa America, since i have not watched it that much..

since when we label teams disgrace Gerd for not playing attacking football, trust me, my country would play different if the tournament didn´t allow us to get to next round with a draw tonight + each game tactics is a result of the global outcome...we are through and that was our aim... we can´t ask for anything more.. not every country has talent like Belgium... we are small country without any infrastructure and money in sport, without having to rely on kids of immigrants who have realy better physicall attributes and therefore advantages... well almos t no east european country has this advantage, because i realy consider it advantage... + we focus on two major sports in our country, and we are doign pretty good... so i wouldn´t call our third place a disgrace... just on that matter.

I can't agree more.

I agree, Slovakia did what they had to do. They are pretty much certain to go through as one of the best four third place teams. I don't think they are a disgrace at all. I can totally understand why they were a bit defensive today, they only needed a draw, in the game against Wales they threw it away a little by being too attacking, when 1-1 would have been a good result.

Blame the new format with 24 teams and only 8 eliminated at the group stage. It's harder to be eliminated than to advance now. This generates cautious play, look at Ireland they would have been better losing 1-0 to Belgium instead of trying to chase the game. 1-0 would have been much better for goal difference in terms of being one of the four best third place teams.

Don't blame the teams, especially the weaker ones, blame the bloated competition

Yeah, the competition format this year really calls for more cautious play as 4/6 3rd place teams get through...Last time, 4 points may not have been enough to advance, but this year, 3 or maybe even 2 points will be enough to get to the knock-out round...

Hopefully, it'd be better in the knock-out round...but they really need to do something about the format next time....aimlessly expanding may not have been a good thing...

Seeing the at times fairly horrific play this tourney makes it even more mad that the Netherlands failed to qualify. Granted, Turkey, Iceland and the Czech Republic (countries that were in the same qualifier group) ave arguably been some of the better teams in the tourney.
I agree wholeheartedly with Edmundo that the new format encourages teams to play it safe in the group stages. Let's hope it comes to life in the knockout rounds. I haven't been arsed to watch a lot of games this time around. Looking forward to the regular season to start back up again...

Can't really blame Slovakia for parking the bus. When you are likely to qualify via 3rd place why risk losing?

Hodgson is an idiot. Why make so many changes?

Like I said on another forum. England swapping 6 more or less like for like players isn't really an issue. Sturridge is better than Kane. You dropped a crap Sterling. Clyne played well I heard. You brought in a proper midfielder compared to one who has hardly played there. You have strength in depth and in all fairness you battered the Slovaks and weren't exactly weakened. Not imo anyway.

Who cares though. I couldn't care less about England. I thought we played great last night though. Russia were crap but we were very comfortable on the ball and should have scored 10. Makes up for them beating us in a play off years ago. I'm happy we got out of the group. If we get knocked out next round then so be it but I've had plenty to cheer about and I'm proud of my country.

All you English would be better off supporting your country instead of moaning all the time

All you English would be better off supporting your country instead of moaning all the time
Usually I think there's a good reason why the public / press have criticism, but given that we had 20+ shots last night and no player stood out to me as having a bad night (especially when you think of how poor Sterling has been, and he's supposed to be one of the first eleven), I agree with you.

It's difficult to score when your opponent forms a human wall around their goalmouth (and by the way, if we'd gone through in 3rd and had to play Spain, we'd definitely be doing that to some degree, so the criticism of Slovakia makes me laugh - they did what they had to do).

We played with fluidity and had (at the very least) three shots that were going in, where we didn't miss through a lack of technique, but because someone either produced a great save or somehow threw a leg out in the right place (I'm thinking of Lallana's effort from outside the box that was hit hard enough to fly in where the keeper showed great reflexes to stop it, Henderson's shot around the six yard box that was going away from the keeper but was blocked, and the lightning bolt from outside the area that some poor defender sacrificed his face to block).

That can happen when your opponent shuts out the game like that - and it's exactly why they did it. If you don't have the luck, there's nothing you can do, you can't really just force the ball in.

I think all of England's performances so far have been solid - we won't beat the bigger (i.e. better) teams but as one of the pundits said about the Russia game, it was the best England performance since the night we thumped Germany, and we were desperately unlucky to draw - and I don't think we've really dropped the tempo since then.

If we get Portugal, I can see us folding through fear - if we get Iceland, there's a part of me that doesn't want us to win because I love Iceland and what they've achieved already. So I'm hoping it's Austria or Hungary, but, none of these teams will be easy - especially if they decide to try and take the game to penalties, because we all know what happens then (and Pizza Hut get a new advert out of it).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom