UEFA Champions League 2014/2015

So been reading through many individual club threads and wanted to say this for some time, but didn't want to just place this in any single club thread, so i'll post here.

What is wrong with the EPL Teams in Champions League?? With all the talk about EPL being the best league in the world, the most attractive and interesting, they just plain suck in the Champions League. There's no way that teams like Liverpool are placing the EPL on a higher agenda than the Champions League and fielding such a weak team. Then Man City fans make the Champions League home games feel like a League Cup match with no atmosphere and no fight from the players. Even Chelsea and Arsenal aren't playing at their full potential in the Champions League this year.

chelsea (particularly mourinho) don't take the group stage too serious.

arsenal have injury problems as usual and aren't playing to their full potential(*cough* wenger) as you said.

liverpool just couldn't compensated suarez and sturridge's absence. and I'm genuinely believing rodgers can't cope with the defence issues. kinda like wenger again. :P

city's dna, looks like to me, doesn't match with CL. their groups were always difficult but that's not an excuse consider their budget. maybe it's pellegrini can't do his stuff at big teams that he did with malaga and villarreal. for instance, the year at madrid, they were eliminated to lyon and alcorcon(!) in cl & copa respectively.

Last edited:
So been reading through many individual club threads and wanted to say this for some time, but didn't want to just place this in any single club thread, so i'll post here.

What is wrong with the EPL Teams in Champions League?? With all the talk about EPL being the best league in the world, the most attractive and interesting, they just plain suck in the Champions League. There's no way that teams like Liverpool are placing the EPL on a higher agenda than the Champions League and fielding such a weak team. Then Man City fans make the Champions League home games feel like a League Cup match with no atmosphere and no fight from the players. Even Chelsea and Arsenal aren't playing at their full potential in the Champions League this year.

Did you go? It was quite loud at the Etihad actually. Lots of anti-UEFA chants. Knowing them I wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the mic volume for TV. Can't bring myself to watch any of thee 'highlights' to compare.

...Even Chelsea...aren't playing at their full potential in the Champions League this year.

That's simply not true. The fact that you would even suggest such a thing should tell you how much (little) you know about the team. Although that's not really surprising, a MU fan is unlikely to be an avid follower of Chelsea's games. I doubt you've seen any of the games against Maribor for instance.

Just a small view from the few games I watch from Chelsea. I do agree that I'm no vivid follower of Chelsea's matches, but with the team that they have, I just feel that they should be playing better. But as stated before, it may only be group matches and Mourinho doesn't take those too seriously.

And I did only view the Man City match from the TV and it may be the broadcast company that lowered the volume, but it just seems they're louder for the EPL matches than CL matches.

10351802_10152931620084288_5044987913522736646_n.jpg

A few delicious clashes in there (first two). arsenal and Munich lucked out, as did Real to an extent. Dortmund vs Juve has the recipe for a real battle, despite Dortmund domestic showing.

Nice graphic Thomas. Looking forward to city'-Barca, PSG-chelsea, arsenal-Monaco, and juve-Dortmund

What a shit referee this Dutch fella. How to ruin a match in one act.

He totally felt the pressure from Chelsea players and crowd, and not least of all Mourinho.

That tackle by Ibrahimovic was on a 50-50, your average run of the mill Challenge you see all the time in the Premier League.
Never a straight red. In fact, both went for the ball and Oscar could have hurt him too.

One of the best ties totally ruined by a mediocre referee who gets influenced by the home team pressure. Hell, we desperately need more refs like Michael Oliver.

Outclassed...............twice.

That Verrati boy is top class.

Was refreshing to hear the Sky Panel tell a bit of truth by the whole 'Best in the World' myth.

FD

Pretty bad refereeing, I agree.

Got influenced by home crowd, players and Mourinho's antics. Luckily it didn't end up costing PSG the game but surely took away from what could have been an excellent game.

It looks like the pressure of the occasion was too big for him to handle which is unacceptable for a CL ref!

Kinda sad really, the dude had a reputation as one of the better refs around. One game of many mistakes can f up that reputation really quick.

The dutch referee Björn Kuipers it's a bad referee long time ago, I don't know why still are on champions league matches...

The ref in the other game, Bayern v Shakhtar, was pretty bad too. He gave a very borderline penalty and then also sent off the Shakhtar defender, when even a yellow would have been harsh. This was after 3-4 mins and ruined the game as a contest. I was watching on Sky and even the Scottish commentator (Alan McAnally) said that the ref (who was Scottish) had made a balls up.

Back
Top Bottom