The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

I am enjoying Ghouls N' Ghosts so much right now for the Mega Drive/Sega Genesis! Even though @vialli82 had mentioned this version before I believe in this thread, I just remembered it until now and have been playing it non-stop in the past few days! Perhaps not as insanely hard as the NES Ghosts N'Goblins and SNES version, but still VERY challenging! I also believe this is the Remastered version of the NES classic, so it's a completely different version from Super Ghouls and Ghosts, which makes it classic and new at the same time. Super highly recommended! :TU:

It's been a long while since I had picked up Super Metroid! Never played it as a kid, and only got to discover it later on with emulators, but it's a game which I had started plenty of times before but was never able to finish! It has gone through different iterations, with many different emulators and computers, but I never transferred over the saves! Great game, atmospheric, and engrossing in a very unique way.. I remember getting to different points but now I have started afresh and ready for the challenge, I hope I can finish it this time! (No spoilers please!) :TU:

As some of you guys know, I am a huge fan of old-school BTA's, and the 16 bit generation was arguably the golden age for this genre! Here is a great one that is often underappreciated, flying under the radar of the Final Fights, and Streets of Rage mega-classics.. Cutthroat Island! I love the animations in this one, the difficulty level is high, and the setting is not that usual for BTA's, more like a 18th century pirate world! Smooth graphics, great pacing and playability, cool music, and a great way to spend a good amount of time playing by yourself or with a friend! A mix of Prince of Persia and TMNT in a sense! :TU:

Can't believe that after all these years of being a massive Doom fan, I hadn't played Heretic/Hexen! I mean I knew of them, of course, ever since I was a kid, but I never got around to playing them, always thinking "i'll try these afterwards"! Man was I missing out! Now with GZDoom program, it's so easy to just load these two up, it really is amazing. I really like medieval settings, and it seems incredible to me that I had overlooked these two 90's gems! And with the modding community creating WADs for both games, it looks like I'm going to have my hands full for a long long time! :TU:

I really really love this game: X-Men Legends! I played it for the first time on the first Xbox with a friend and had insane fun, and now I want to get it for PC. Haven't played it for 20 years, but what I do remember is what a blast I had beating it for the first time. It's been so long since I've played it that I don't remember the story or the stages anymore, which is a great thing because I can approach it as a brand-new game almost. I thought the battle mechanics and overall feeling of the game was special. Will definitely be getting this one! :TU:

Thanks to @vialli82's recommendation, I checked out this version of 2014 STRIDER on sale on steam, it plays really well, with the fast-paced action that we all know and love from the Genesis/Mega Drive titles!! I love how a lot of these sequels maintain the spirit of the original gameplays so well. I just started playing it, and I am loving the dystopian world set in Kazakh city, and how the game has new features and a faster pace while still retaining all the retrogaming elements that we loved from the classic Sega Titles! Strider 2014: Highly recommended!

Going into PS2 territory for a bit, I've recently began playing Maximo: Ghosts to Glory! Set in the same universe as Ghouls and Ghosts, I'd never played this 3D Hack N' Slash! I really enjoy the fact that it retains a lot of of the GnG elements, yet presents them in a new world and system. I didn't play much PS2 back in the day, since the last console I owned was the PS1 before moving to PC gaming, but I am finding hundreds of interesting games, which I will be presenting here! For now, I am compeltely hooked with Maximo. :)

Here's another one I've been really enjoying on the PCSX2: Castlevania, Curse of Darkness! I was a huge fan of the Castlevania series in NES and SNES, and of course one of the best of all time, Symphony of the Night, and I've been playing a lot of this one! My plan is to finish Curse of Darkness first and then probably move on to Lament of Innocence. So many classic titles on the PS2, I think it's incredible how large and varied the collection is! Will be posting more PS2 games in here for sure. :TU:

Here's another one I've been playing lately on the PS2, R-Type Final! Great game, it was a recommendation of @vialli82, and it's been really worth it! Tons of playable ships (unlockable through branching system), furious action, and really well developed enemies and stages! I've never been really good at horizontal space shooters, but even if I keep retrying and retrying, the fun factor in R-Type Final is something that keeps bringing me back! A big challenge for me, this looks like it's gonna be a long time for me plugging away! Luckily the game itself is gorgeous and atmospheric, and the action is intense!

How old do games have to be to make it to this thread?
I had a quick question in case anyone wants to make a suggestion

I bought Lost Odyssey on a sale back in Covid times, which people really praise as a real Final Fantasy game which often gets overlooked. Anyone played it or recommends it?

View attachment 262524
View attachment 262525

View attachment 262526
View attachment 262527

Here's the Mini-Comic included in SNES' F-Zero Instruction manual, one of my favorite games of all time!!
Man, the 90's were a badass decade!! :ROCK: :TU:

Did you play the Japan only Fzero Climax on GBA? If not I think you’d love it if you like the SNES Fzero.
I prefer the GameCube Fzero GX. Man that game is difficult but frikin awesome.
Disappointed they didn’t port it to Switch.

Did you play the Japan only Fzero Climax on GBA? If not I think you’d love it if you like the SNES Fzero.
I prefer the GameCube Fzero GX. Man that game is difficult but frikin awesome.
Disappointed they didn’t port it to Switch.
Hey man I haven't! Heard great things about it, I think I might try it on emulation now!
Heard great things about Fzero Climax, and I've seen some videos, looks really fun.. Even though Fzero GX looks great as well, something about Fzero Climax appeals to me more! Thanks for the rec! :TU:

Hey man I haven't! Heard great things about it, I think I might try it on emulation now!
Heard great things about Fzero Climax, and I've seen some videos, looks really fun.. Even though Fzero GX looks great as well, something about Fzero Climax appeals to me more! Thanks for the rec! :TU:

No problem. I always think these are best played on the OG hardware. You can play 16bit games to near perfect emulation on a PC these days but you don’t get the “feel” in my opinion.

Anyone like Lode runner on GBA?
Had a ton of fun with this back in the day when I owned a GBA.
Man, you took me back to the original lode runner!

I remember that this one came in those Famicom 32-in-one cartridges, one of the first games I ever played as a very young kid! A classic that actually, makes you think quite a bit! Will be checking out the GBA one (on emulation) :)

Man, you took me back to the original lode runner!

I remember that this one came in those Famicom 32-in-one cartridges, one of the first games I ever played as a very young kid! A classic that actually, makes you think quite a bit! Will be checking out the GBA one (on emulation) :)
I’ve never played on the NES but there’s something charming about the 8bit graphic style and music that I like. (I’m assuming it’s the inspiration for key generators used on shady software 😂) Sometimes simplicity is the way when making a game. I think the best games are easy to play but difficult to master. I think everyone can enjoy games like lode runner, Tetris, Mario etc and have a lot of fun with them on a casual level and the real gamers can also have fun with them perfecting their runs.

Edit: Also, did you get time to try out Fzero Climax? What do you think of it?

All this retro gaming stuff makes me just want to buy up a bunch of retro consoles

I’ve never played on the NES but there’s something charming about the 8bit graphic style and music that I like. (I’m assuming it’s the inspiration for key generators used on shady software 😂) Sometimes simplicity is the way when making a game. I think the best games are easy to play but difficult to master. I think everyone can enjoy games like lode runner, Tetris, Mario etc and have a lot of fun with them on a casual level and the real gamers can also have fun with them perfecting their runs.

Edit: Also, did you get time to try out Fzero Climax? What do you think of it?

All this retro gaming stuff makes me just want to buy up a bunch of retro consoles
Haha, yeah for sure about those key generators! :LOL: That's definitely something great. especially about 8 and 16 bit games. The simplicity of it, combined with the toughness, makes it all about Hand-Eye coordination! I'm still struggling with Kid Icarus on NES, so many years later. One of the simplest, and hardest games ever!

Oh and about F-Zero Climax, I still need to get my GBA emulator back running since I just switched computers recently. :)

Haha, yeah for sure about those key generators! :LOL: That's definitely something great. especially about 8 and 16 bit games. The simplicity of it, combined with the toughness, makes it all about Hand-Eye coordination! I'm still struggling with Kid Icarus on NES, so many years later. One of the simplest, and hardest games ever!

Oh and about F-Zero Climax, I still need to get my GBA emulator back running since I just switched computers recently. :)
When I owned my 3DS I had CFW on it and played the gameboy version of kid Icarus on that. It was great fun but yeah it can get very difficult. With older games there’s not really any give to them. Eg. A jump or attack etc is either perfect or it’s death. Those games are a great challenge if you’re a gamer but not something average joe is going to enjoy and will probably be infuriated by them.
I played a lot of Super Ghouls and Ghosts and i think it’s such a great game but to this day I’ve never finished it and I’d say I’m an above average gamer so I feel your pain with Kid Icarus 😄

@PES4eva Man, 8 bit and 16 bit are chock full of super hard games! Off the top of my head, here are a few, aside from Kid Icarus!

1. Contra III, The Alien Wars!

2. The original Ghosts N' Goblins (and Super GnG for SNES as well like you mentioned, I actually think the NES one is harder!)

3. The Lion King (man this was frustratingly hard)!

4. The original TMNT, man I think more strategy guides were written about this one than any other I can remember.

5. Actraiser 2!

@millossobek
I can’t imagine Ghouls and Ghosts being any harder than it already is on SNES. I’m absolutely not even going to try and play the NES version if what you say is true haha

Im pretty good at the Lion King, purely because I’ve played it so much. Contra on the other hand can just f*** off 😂

I can’t imagine Ghouls and Ghosts being any harder than it already is on SNES. I’m absolutely not even going to try and play the NES version if what you say is true haha
you gotta try it bro, it's the most frustratingly maddening experience ever! (one of my first vivid memories is seeing GnG in an arcade and not believing what I was seeing haha) :LOL:

Point aside, have you tried Ghosts n' Goblins resurrection? I think it's very well done!

you gotta try it bro, it's the most frustratingly maddening experience ever! (one of my first vivid memories is seeing GnG in an arcade and not believing what I was seeing haha) :LOL:

Point aside, have you tried Ghosts n' Goblins resurrection? I think it's very well done!

How can I possibly try it when I can’t even finish the snes version!
Not tried resurrection and didn’t even know it existed until you said. If it’s anything like the ultimate version on psp I’m not going to like it.
Also, I don’t buy games on pc. Aside from PES (because of the patches) I mainly play on console. I’ve only got a switch and a Vita currently, and that’s just been sat in a drawer.

So many great gems in there! Never played the Sega Saturn but interesting titles in the video:

-Castlevania X seems like a remake of SNES version!
- In the Hunt is a brilliant game, played it for Neo Geo. Basically an underwater Metal Slug!
- Tenchi no Kurau I played it MAME, such a great BTA!
- Samurai Spirits, is this the equivalent of Samurai Shodown 3 or 4 for PS1?
- Dungeons and Dragons Collection looks really fun, I love these medieval BTA's (like King of Dragons)
- Never heard of Guardian Heroes, will have to check it out

Great addition. :TU:

So many great gems in there! Never played the Sega Saturn but interesting titles in the video:

-Castlevania X seems like a remake of SNES version!
- In the Hunt is a brilliant game, played it for Neo Geo. Basically an underwater Metal Slug!
- Tenchi no Kurau I played it MAME, such a great BTA!
- Samurai Spirits, is this the equivalent of Samurai Shodown 3 or 4 for PS1?
- Dungeons and Dragons Collection looks really fun, I love these medieval BTA's (like King of Dragons)
- Never heard of Guardian Heroes, will have to check it out

Great addition. :TU:

Samurai Spirits is the equivalent of Shodown.
The majority of games on sega saturn never got released in the west because everyone had a boner for 3D games then.
If you look into the Japanese Sega Saturn library the vast majority are 2D games. It’s probably the best console you can buy for 2D games. Also, let’s not forget the Saturn controller has the best D-Pad ever made in my opinion. You might be surprised that I’d say the PS Vita probably has the second best. The D-Pad on that thing is so underrated but yeah the Saturn D-Pad is still king to this day.

Here's another great PS2 game that I've been playing lately! Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks! I remember seeing this game back in like, 2006 at a videogame store in my city and thinking to myself: man, that sounds like a great idea, a 3D BTA, very similar to Jade Empire (based on Martial Arts), but in the Mortal Kombat Universe! Many years passed, and since I focused mainly on PC gaming, I forgot all about it until I asked myself "what was that BTA Mortal Kombat game that I saw years ago"? And lo-and-behold, here it is! So glad I was able to find it. :)

Back
Top Bottom