The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

I'm heavily into City Builders, and Simcity 3000 is one of the best of the lot! Been playing quite a bit of it (even though my top Simcity is SC4), and have been having a great time! One of the things that I liked about the change between 2000 and 3000 are the change in architecture, in the sense that you can choose between American, European, and Asian styles. Don't know if anyone of you guys played the Simcities, but they're a great series. :) Not a huge fan of the latest one though, seems like it's too easy to create a "trouble free" city. :LOL: So I will stick with the classics. :TU:

I'm heavily into City Builders, and Simcity 3000 is one of the best of the lot! Been playing quite a bit of it (even though my top Simcity is SC4), and have been having a great time! One of the things that I liked about the change between 2000 and 3000 are the change in architecture, in the sense that you can choose between American, European, and Asian styles. Don't know if anyone of you guys played the Simcities, but they're a great series. :) Not a huge fan of the latest one though, seems like it's too easy to create a "trouble free" city. :LOL: So I will stick with the classics. :TU:

That jazzy music took me back to 1999. Coming back from school and playing countless hours. I got this game a few months ago on GOG. I should give it a try. Also played it more than 2 and 4. Even though 4 is more complete. Love city builders, lets see what cities skylines 2 brings later this year

@el niche I had no idea that skylines 2 was coming out later on this year, that's great news! My problem with skylines 1 is that it felt more like a "create your perfect city" mode. I like my cities to have traffic problems, pollution, slums, budget issues, all those things you have to deal with. Skylines looked great but it felt more like a "city designer" than a "city simulation". That's why I loved the original simcity, as well as 2000, 3000, and 4, they felt like real cities with real problems. Hopefully skylines 2 will address this and make it more realistic and gritty in this sense. :TU:

@Madmac79 Bro, switching topics for a second: I was wondering: I remember that a few months ago, you mentioned that you liked "total conversion" DOOM WADS? I've been looking for a few, and was wondering if you could recommend any!

I have played a lot of vanilla doom wads and would like to also add conversions to my collection! I play with GZDoom program (I just load the WADs there), so I also wanted to know if there is any additional software I need to run the total conversion doom wads? Basically if you could give me some general indications that'd be great! :TU:

@Madmac79 Bro, switching topics for a second: I was wondering: I remember that a few months ago, you mentioned that you liked "total conversion" DOOM WADS? I've been looking for a few, and was wondering if you could recommend any!

I have played a lot of vanilla doom wads and would like to also add conversions to my collection! I play with GZDoom program (I just load the WADs there), so I also wanted to know if there is any additional software I need to run the total conversion doom wads? Basically if you could give me some general indications that'd be great! :TU:

The one I was talking about months ago, that's also the best one to me, is Brutal Doom. It modifies weapons, enemies, it gives you finishers and many other things.. game feels turned upside down in a way that still respects the original :TU: . Haven't played it in long but I remember it being pretty intuitive to play, you can basically play any of the vanilla wads on it (made a run on Doom 2 with it on.. played beautiful!). You can find it here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads/brutal-doom-v21-beta

Somebody also suggests Project Brutality, that it's a rehaul of Brutal Doom, but I've never played it myself and it seems there really isn't anything better.

Another one that felt really good, and it's a complete different thing than vanilla Doom, is Blade of Agony, that you can find here as a stand alone game: https://boa.realm667.com/
it's based on the Wolfenstein 3d universe. You have a story and missions, campaigns and stuff in the vein of WW2/supernatural theme of the Wolf 3d saga. Have played some levels on the old pc and it was a really fine, and detailed work, so much that it felt a bit heavy and I stopped playing it.. must retake it someday.

Other than this, haven't played this much of other TC. Many people spend good words on this Aliens one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-tc
am a great fan of the franchise but never tried it as well. Another one I'll have to try sooner or later.

@el niche I had no idea that skylines 2 was coming out later on this year, that's great news! My problem with skylines 1 is that it felt more like a "create your perfect city" mode. I like my cities to have traffic problems, pollution, slums, budget issues, all those things you have to deal with. Skylines looked great but it felt more like a "city designer" than a "city simulation". That's why I loved the original simcity, as well as 2000, 3000, and 4, they felt like real cities with real problems. Hopefully skylines 2 will address this and make it more realistic and gritty in this sense. :TU:
100% agree and know where you are coming from. I felt more connected to my sims and handling my simoleons (? I think that was the name of the currency) in SC3000 and SC4. SimCity showed you faces of your team: the power guy, the water guy, the parks lady (they had actual faces) and I felt you had to deal with more management stuff. Yes traffic/dealing with dead bodies gets terrible in cities skylines but you dont really feel the pain of your citizens.

Im super excited about skylines 2 and also hope we get more of that "solve problems" situations. But I really enjoyed the first one

But yeah 3000 was great

@Madmac79 I just played the first level of Doom 2 with the Brutal mod and it definitely adds a lot of stuff! New effects, sounds, weapons, was even surprised to see new enemies! That's cool. Also tried running it with some of the WADS I have but they didn't change their appearance or weapons, etc. I guess there are "brutal-specific" wads that are made for the add-on so I guess I'll have to look for them! (For sure there are many which are compatible). In anycase, thanks bro! This will definitely add an interesting twist to my Doom gaming! :TU:

@el niche That was pretty much the thing with Skylines 1. You could build some beautiful cities for sure, but the grittiness was gone. There was nothing like trying to develop a naturally occurring slum in Simcity 3000 or 4, riddled with pollution, and try to bring it back up with commerce, parks.. It was more like a real city, not necessarily a dystopian one but one that felt like a 20th century city, full of problems.. For example in Simcity 4, when you put in your citizens, you could really tell they were having problems moving from place to place when there was traffic, etc.. Still I am looking forward to Skylines 2! I really hope that classic Simcity feeling is back!

@millossobek I'm pretty sure there was a way to play any vanilla WAD under the Brutal mod. I clearly remember I played both the first Doom and some bits of the two Final Doom episodes. I'd help you further, but as I told you it has been a long while lol. If you search a bit for it I'm sure it will eventually come up :TU:

I finally got around to playing Golden Axe Warrior, and man, I'm enjoying the hell out of it!! Even if it looks very similar to Zelda, there's something about it that stands out to me. :) Perhaps it's the fact that it takes place in the Golden Axe Universe, which I'm a huge fan of. :) Man, these type of retro graphics and feeling really puts me in a gaming mood, something beyond nostalgia and getting into real new enjoyment..... It's always a gem when I play a retro game that I have never even heard of before, and Golden Axe Warrior is no exception!! :TU:

Going back to memory lane, here's a converted port version of Sega's classic Altered Beast, but on NES! It actually has more stages and is longer than the Master System version! I remember playing this when I was a kid. :)

Also Altered Beast 2, for Gameboy Advance, looks like quite an improved version!! Might have to get myself a GBA emulator for this one. I love how they retained the "Welcome to your Doooom" looool element to it! :LOL:

This looks very interesting! The name of the game is Jigoku Meguri, for the PC Engin/Turbografx! Just downloaded the emulator (never played much of PC Engine as a kid and now seems like a great time to start)! The game itself seems like a cross between Ghouls N Ghosts and an Ancient Japanese Monk type game, very original! You play as a monk and his only weapon are beads, and it goes from stage to stage which seem to be very much based on Ancient folklore, very original and charismatic. :) A great game to start my PC engine experience with!

I just played the original Altered Beast on Arcade emulator with Anbernic Rg35xx. I love the audio, the setting, the ideas in the game, but the game is insanity. Luckily I had unlimited lives, so could complete it. It’s literally impossible not to get hit every 5-8 seconds once past 1st level. I guess it is designed like that to make kids put cash into arcade machines.

Speaking of great games, I randomly decided to beat Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu for the NES! takes about 45 minutes! Not a difficult game but one that seemed much much easier when I was a kid! :LOL: I might have mentioned this one in an earlier post,, but thought it would be relevant since in many ways, it is similar to Jigoku Meguri even though JCAKF takes place in China and has its correspondng mythology!! Highly recommended I actually think it is one of the plastformers in NES, with very colorful bosses!

I just bought an Anbernic RG35XX, so I can play these retro games on a handheld. So looking forward to getting it, crazy cheap too only about 45 quid.
I was looking into this on youtube and the algorithm caught it and sent me an Icelandic ad for this handheld. It was said to have 13000+ built in games or some bs like that, also it was way more expensive.

This is a great (and often overlooked) game on SNES! Pocky and Rocky! (it has a sequel as well) Set in medieval Japan, you play as a priestess (Rocky) and a Tanuki (Rocky) and have to battle through several levels of enemies based on Japanese mythology! I really love this game, action packed, mainly top down but with also some sidescrolling and RPG elements, and the setting really gives it a nice atmosphere. To me it is one of the best SNES games, and one that is not often discussed among the great ones, but this saga is really enjoyable! :TU:

I was heavily into wrestling games a few months ago, especially Super Fire Pro Wrestling for the SNES, but recently I found out that the PS2 had a version of SFPW, called Fire Pro Wrestling returns! I was really glad to find this one, it really feels like an updated version of the classic series, complete with a HUGE roster of Japanese (as well as WWF and WCW) fighters and legends, all divided into different "schools" or "academies". Very long league mode, where you pretty much have to battle everyone to get to the top, and with the same "timing grapple" system which characterizes the series, this looks like hours of fun for me! :TU:

Going back to the 8-bit era, here are a couple of quite interesting games based on movies: The first one is Willow! I played this one recently on emulator, and was really surprised at the depth of it. I used to love the movie when I was a kid, the whole world with the Nelwyns and different creatures, and the game itself is quite solid, with similar elements to Zelda, but with a more experience-based level system. The battles are fun, world exploring takes quite a while, and it's a pretty detailed and lengthy game for this genre on NES! :TU:

The other game (one of the first games I ever played) is Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, based on the Kevin Costner movie. I remember enjoying this one a lot as a little kid. The gameplay is dated and clunky, but for some reason it has good replay value, good music, and good atmosphere. One thing that I found interesting about it are the different types of gameplay. You sort of have "duel" as well as "adventure" types of battles, which add variety. If you can overlook the graphics and interface, you might be surprised at this adventure, which exposes the player to many different scenarios. :)

First time I ever see this game! Ranger-X for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive! Looks really fun, with the ability to drive vehicles, multiple weapons, and fast-paced action! I really think it also pushes the 16-bit graphics, one of the better looking games out there for the console! Once again, this definitely looks like an underrated gem and yet another Mega Drive classic that I never played, as I was all about SNES those years (all these undiscovered Mega Drive classics it's like I'm a kind at a candy store lol). Can't wait to play this one, the bosses look epic and based on what I've seen it has a steep difficulty curve! :TU:

Last edited:
I just bought an original PS Vita. It's so good. I never had one before, but the graphics quality and PSP/Vita backcatalogue are much better than I expected, battery lasts forever and it's jailbroken, so have many ports to play and it can play many console emulators. Highly recommend it, as now my toilet/travel/waiting times are so fun now!

I think this will bring back some memories for sure. I played the gameboy and NES versions of RC Pro Am, but only recently did I find out that there is also a Mega Drive/Sega Genesis version! I remember when I first played this series, I was totally flabbergasted at the "inverse" controls, as I'm sure a lot of 8-year olds were! Haha, the concept of inverse traction was a bit advanced for a young kid to get, but once I got the hang of it, it was really fun! This one is "Championship Pro Am", it was definitely different and fun since the concept were remote controlled cars! 🚚

Last edited:

Just bought this on Steam! River City Ransom: Underground!! I am sure this will interest @crustcyb quite a bit!! I really loved the original (from the Kunio original franchise in Japan, and with a sequel in SNES as well called Super Kunio Kun), it had the perfect balance between BTA with open world exploration, with some RPG elements, and levelling up! This indie game made by fans seems to continue on with the spirit of the original, with a much larger cast of characters and it seems more challenging gameplay, and the original characters (Alex and Ryan) are back! This was a must buy for me and can't believe I just discovered it. :)

Continuing on with the steam purchases, I recently bought Unruly Heroes on steam! Even though not a retro-game per se, it is an indie platformer which (I think) has a lot of elements of 32-bit, only with more modern graphics and gameplay! Unruly Heroes relives the Wukong: Journey to the West Saga, and I've found it really entertaining!! You can choose between your familiar Journey to the West 4 heroes (Sun Wukong - Monkey, Tang Sanzang - Monk. Zhu Baije - Pig, Sha Wujing - Demon) and battle your way through some gorgeous stages (and some very inventive monsters)!

I've been playing quite a bit of 1943 lately and it's been really enjoyable! I think it is the best out of the top-down-perspective airplane games on NES, with a great soundtrack, non-stop action and very steep difficulty! I remember playing this as a kid (one of the first games I ever played, in one of those all in one 32-1 Famicom cartridges with the NES adaptor) and never beating it. Man, I turned it on and the nostalgia came back in droves! I think I'm gonna be spending a long time trying to beat this one, I don't even know how many levels it has but I do know that it has an ending. :LOL:

Here's another great retro-game that I've been meaning to play! Axelay for the SNES! (@vialli82 mentioned it earlier but I haven't had a chance to try it yet)! I've been quite into "spaceship games" lately, and the non-stop action of this game seems really engrossing and fun in a mindless graphical overload! One interesting aspect that seems to separate it from other space games is that it includes both horizontal and top-down vertical stages! Sometimes you don't really need a story, or a deep cinematic experience, all you need is some popcorn, some sodas, and just battle your way through insanely active stages with huge bosses and innumerable obstacles! :TU:

Last edited:
How crazy is Super Smash TV!! I think I might keep playing this game for years and years and still won't be able to beat it! It has to rank along with Super Ghouls N Ghosts as the most difficult SNES game ever! But then, why do I keep coming back to it.. It's the insane fun factor! :TU:

How crazy is Super Smash TV!! I think I might keep playing this game for years and years and still won't be able to beat it! It has to rank along with Super Ghouls N Ghosts as the most difficult SNES game ever! But then, why do I keep coming back to it.. It's the insane fun factor! :TU:

I never heard of this game until seeing a guy play it a few days ago. Looks awesome. The guy played it in co-op mode though, he said it's much more fun like that.

Back
Top Bottom