The PC Building Thread

So these are my specs:

AMD A8-5500
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5670

The FIFA 15 demo runs kinda choppy for me and would like to purchase the full game but only when I'm sure I can run it well.

Where do you guys think my bottleneck is? Should I upgrade the video card?, the cpu? both? Or are there any tweaks I should try first and if so which ones?

Thanks for the help, not very good at these things

I would upgrade your GPU to a r9 270, your CPU ain't the best, but it should be able to handle fifa with a new graphics card.

I would upgrade your GPU to a r9 270, your CPU ain't the best, but it should be able to handle fifa with a new graphics card.

Thanks for that. That GPU is a little more expensive than I am willing to spend right now. Considering that I don't game much on the PC. Maybe I should try and find a good sale for it

What have you based that on??

The GTX 750Ti is a terrible GPU, it is 2-3x less powerful than the GPU in the PS4..

Based on the following suggestion of yours.
PS4 Beater and who said you couldn't build a PC of same spec for the same price?

GTX 750 Ti and Radeon HD 7850 are almost the same class.

THnUQB.jpg

Based on the following suggestion of yours.

GTX 750 Ti and Radeon HD 7850 are almost the same class.

THnUQB.jpg

Not sure where you got that from.. But looks like 3D Mark scoring which is never a true judgement.. Under actual gaming benchmarks the 7850 is on average 35% more powerful, with some games performing at a 90% increase.

The 750ti is what I would class as a dedicated card put in cheap arse desktops so sellers can say it comes with a dedicated card. I would under no circumstances put a 750ti in a "Gaming PC".

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too bothered about a reference cooler at that price.

Ended being more as the price he gave me wasn't including the VAT, so told him that I will just wait till he gets a custom card...

But he is speaking to his consumer friend and will try and get me a "Sample" of the card and give it too me at the Intel conference next Thursday.

I have a small board which my sli are close together.

my cards sit right next to each other which cannot be good.

I would like to upgrade my 570 sli to a more modern one or should I look at a single card.

I am off to the states this month. should I go looking there? worth the risk with the saving. obviously warranty issues unless bought and transferable to a uk store. such as wallmart/asda.

I have a small board which my sli are close together.

my cards sit right next to each other which cannot be good.

I would like to upgrade my 570 sli to a more modern one or should I look at a single card.

I am off to the states this month. should I go looking there? worth the risk with the saving. obviously warranty issues unless bought and transferable to a uk store. such as wallmart/asda.

You would save a massive chunk buying from the States, as for warranty most manufacturers give International warranty.

I would get the 970, as don't think the price difference between the 970 and 980 is worth the extra bit of power.

You wouldn't see that much in terms of performance, but you would get a massive reduction in power, thermals and noise.

Last edited:
Can you recommend the best place to buy over in the states.

Give me a shopping list lol

I have nothing to buy yet

Thinking
Ipad for my son Xmas
Xbox one for other son Xmas. Power issues though..
Mrs will want the usual stuff

I want gadgets and stuff you can't get over here.

Just don't know what lol. Sorry slightly off topic but we are all male so should be able to understand where I am coming from lol

Thinking
Ipad for my son Xmas

Just don't know what lol. Sorry slightly off topic but we are all male so should be able to understand where I am coming from lol

Can't help much I am afraid, gadgets are a lot cheaper in the states than over here.. I have only been there once to New York about 10-12 years ago, most thing I remember is the fact what we call designer over here like Timberland, CK and Levi's are their equivalent of Super Dry in terms of price.

Gadgets though - Walmart - they surely have to be first port of call for gadgets.

Last bit of advice from someone I know who goes America pretty often - download Foursquare, it is apparently massive in America (not over here) and basically loads of coffee shops and that give you a free coffee and muffin on first check-in and things like that. So you can pretty much feed yourself for free the whole time you are there, although you might come home looking American.

Last edited:

Thinking
Ipad for my son Xmas

Best Buy are pretty good for the gadgets and they'll match online prices from the likes of Amazon (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/Low-Price-Guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002).

Where abouts are you going? Factor in the sales tax when comparing prices, which is normally fairly low (6.35% here and 4-4.5% New York) as the prices advertised are before tax.

Not sure if you'll have power issues with the XBone. I don't have one but power supplies are often designed for 110-240v input so you might just need an adapter for the plug.

Hi guys

I have a problems if anyone can help me please

I am running multiple displays and have my normal montor connected to pc via VGa and my Samsung UE48H8000 Curved LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV connected to pc via hdmi cable.
No whenever i watch something or plays pro evo on the tv the colour is very dull. I have tried to edit it via nvidia control panel but no luck as when i adjust them it automatically messes up my monitor which colour is perfect.
I have gone to tv menu and tried to adjust settings but I am only able to change, Backlight,Contrast,Brightness and sharpness but not colour, when i try to it says "This function is not available"

am racking my brain as to what is causing this problem is it the tv?, the hdmi cable?, the graphic card?
can anyone please advise me, I would really appreciate it
thanks

Does your TV have a display port or any other type of connection to connect too..

I would just start with the absolute basics, different HDMI port, then different cable, then a different type of connector..

Unfortunately there probably isn't going to be an instant fix, but by playing around with different cables and such it should start working.

Is the picture in your desktop screwed as well or just when you play PES? You could also try to clone the display instead of it being an extension.

Does your TV have a display port or any other type of connection to connect too..

I would just start with the absolute basics, different HDMI port, then different cable, then a different type of connector..

Unfortunately there probably isn't going to be an instant fix, but by playing around with different cables and such it should start working.

Is the picture in your desktop screwed as well or just when you play PES? You could also try to clone the display instead of it being an extension.
thanks for reply mate

the picture on the desktop is fine but on tv the colours are not great doesn't matter whether i play pro or not.will get a new hdmi cable and see if that makes a difference.
at the moment i have dual screen working and have cloned my monitor so that it displays on the tv

I made a bit of a booboo recently ordering new RAM I hadn't researched properly and it turns out it's not massively compatible with my current system and unfortunately it's too late to return it, here's the PC spec:

Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD FX-8350
16gb (4x4gb) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2133Mhz
Nvidia 770OC 4gb
SSD

Apparently AMD FX of this range have some issues with 4 dimms of RAM and the RAM itself isn't officially supported by my Motherboard, been getting a few bluescreens and other RAM related problems and that's not even at the full 2133Mhz.

I started off at 1600 with 2 dimms and then 1866 and then 4 dimms at 1866 and these configs passed a night's memcheck but getting higher than that isn't happening and even at 1866 I'm getting issues with stability.

Considering that my Motherboard is pretty old these days and the CPU is more recent I'm wondering if there would be any additional performance/stability benefits to changing the motherboard to one that's newer and supports this RAM? I don't want to spend too much with there being the possibility of a DDR4 upgrade in the next 12/18 months which would require new RAM/CPU/Mobo all over again...

Can anyone tell me if this is any good or worth the money?

I'm new to the whole pc gaming thing and looking for something decent to play Fifa 15 and Pes 2015 on high or highest possible settings.

Looking to pay as close to £600 as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/intel-core-i5-4460-240gb-ssd-8gb-1600mhz-gtx-750ti-2gb-z3-plus-windows-8-pc.html

How confident are you about building your own system?

As following points about that system:
CPU although an i5 it is a cheap i5.
Motherboard will be very cheap as is using the H81M chipset (£35 motherboard)
SSD is a cheap Kingston V300 model
Geforce GTX 750Ti is not a good graphics card, would struggle playing top games @1080p

They have basically covered shit in a semi decent case to make it look good.

I would not purchase the system as you could find something a lot better for £600, or build something really good with a £600 budget.

You seem to know what you are on about going by your previous posts so thanks for the advice.

i don't really know much about computers so i wouldn't have a clue on how to build one. I've only just started researching and looking in to it recently.

It wouldn't have to be anything top notch, obviously. Just good enough for Fifa and Pes on high settings. I Don't even know if it's possible for my price range?

JayJay - I will spec a machine for you later, with £600 budget...
How desperate are you for a PC now? I personally would wait till the end of the year for the Skylake architecture..

R.Baggio - Why wait for Windows 10 and DX12?? All latest graphics cards are compatible with DX12 and Windows 10 is free for anyone with Windows 7 or 8..
The DX12 benchmarks are very very impressive, but it was all done using a game built for DX12, it will be at least 18 months before PC's start seeing the advantage of DX12.

Back
Top Bottom