The PC Building Thread

fair point.

i don't have a rationale voice. thanks for stepping in.

let me know when its worth doing lol

cheers

Save some more money...

Next year you will have a bigger budget(4K Monitor) then you will get a bigger upgrade and you will sit down and say holy shit - if you do it today you will sit down and go meh.

I am going to buy a new laptop so any recommendation for a good laptop to run fifa15 & pes 2015 but cheaper then 1000$
thanks

Thinking about replacing my GTX 680 with a 970. I'm mostly a PS4 player now but when I do play PC games, my 680 is starting to chug at 1080p and the fan noise really annoys me.

Thinking about replacing my GTX 680 with a 970. I'm mostly a PS4 player now but when I do play PC games, my 680 is starting to chug at 1080p and the fan noise really annoys me.

I have thought about upgrading my 680 as well but I keep putting it off.. Everytime a new card is announced I keep putting it off as there isn't much of an improvement, also Nvidia claim the 10000 series will be above and beyond the current cards.

So I really want to upgrade but keep thinking I will wait till next year - also other problem is the 680GTX isn't worth feck all nowadays, so would be a pretty pricey upgrade.

Last edited:
I'm holding off to see what the 1000 series has to offer too. I bought my 780 a year ago with a view to keeping it at least two years. Looks like it could go longer than that.

No point upgrading if you're already on 780 and above. The 970/980 is a nice upgrade coming from 670/680 but not worth it if you primarily game on only 1080p. I don't see any issues with maxing out the current multi-platform games in this gen.

If you're using a 1440p (2560x1440) monitor or 3 Monitor Surround or 4K it's a different story though.

I've had a lot of help from Hawke & Bitter Rivals in the FIFA15 PC Thread so i want any of you guys know what do i need to make Fifa 15 and any other games play on this old Biatch of a rig?

Acer Aspire Predator G7200 Defender / Phenom 9750 X4 2.4GHz / 4GB / 640GB / DVD-SM + DVD-ROM / Vista Home Premium 64 / Desktop Gaming PC (No Monitor)

It has been updated to windows 7 and has 8gb. A sledgehammer is ready to move her on to the upper room if i get no satisfaction!!

Personally pepper

Due to your admission you are not the best with computers, so my advice would be to get all the data off that machine and look to sell it to recoup some money for a new PC

What is your budget as these guys can spec you a reasonably price system and get it built from one of these retailers and you would be good to go.

Would save you all the hassle etc. If you can afford it, then go for it.

I agree. Although building a PC is reasonably easy it's not for everybody.

Pepper - I believe your current PC is from 2008? So in all honesty you're probably better off starting from scratch and buying a pre-built rig like Bitter suggested, if funds allow, that is.

Trying to update an old rig can be a false economy compared to buying something up-to-date that will see you good for a good few years.

some graphic cards have priced drop

750Ti @ £99
760 @ £145
770 @ £180
780 @ £225
970 @ £260
780Ti @ £350
980 @ £430

I am on sli 570 and they look tempting...

Time to send this old whore to the graveyard! So who can you recommend to by a rig from? Is this any good?

CPU: Intel i5 4590 (4 x 3.3 GHz) CPU Cooling: Intel Heatsink & Fan
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ Motherboard: Gigabyte B85 Motherboard
Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA-III Sound: 5.1 HD Sound
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 USB Ports: 6 x USB 2.0 & 2 x USB 3.0
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti - 2 GB Power Supply: Corsair 550W PSU
Optical Drive: 24x Dual Layer DVD/CD Re-Writer Operating System: Choose from Windows 7 64 BIT or Windows 8 64 BIT

Last edited:
Or This?

Next Day - 5000

Intel i5 4690K (4 x 3.5 GHZ)
Overclocked upto 4 x 4.2 GHZ
16 GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 250 GB SSD SATA-III
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4 GB
Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard
BitFenix NVIDIA Case
Corsair 750W PSU
Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling
4 x USB 2 Ports
6 x USB 3 Ports
B/N/G 300 MB WiFi

Can you link me to them or tell me the prices?

For the record , you would have success running FIFA with them but can't say if it is the best deal currently.

What's your budget?

Least you wanna spend to play FIFA on PC?
Or get one that has a bit of scope to future proofing the rest of the FIFA games, as you won't want to touch it for another 3/4 years will you, unless you have to

Ok, no disrespect to whoever owns those sites, but I would not buy from either .

You can do better on prices. You could even buy second hand off someone who upgrades, allot of people keep upgrading and always selling off their bits.

Avforums.com has a classified section http://www.avforums.com/forums/desktop-computer-classifieds.154/ they operate a feedback system so you can check.

Generally decent people on the site and you will be able to ask them questions etc.

£600-1000 maybe £1500

More details as to what you will use the PC for. Is it just gaming, any video editing?

How long do you expect to keep the PC before spending on it.

What monitor or tv do you have?

I would advise against spending £1.5k

Look towards the lower end of the budget.

If you can afford to spend £1.5k now,you can afford to spend £750/£800 now and then do the same again in 3 years + time

Is that realistic guys?

@ Bitter - Yes I think so. There are some potentially big developments on the horizon for GPUs and CPUs so buying something more modest and cheaper (but easily upgradeable) now may not be a bad idea. Then if you take to PC gaming you can upgrade in a couple of years, if you don't take to it then you haven't invested too much money. But I haven't heard of anyone going back to consoles wholesale after getting into PC gaming. :)

As for the GPU - I would look to a 770 if possible. Mind you the price drops on the 780 are brilliant. I paid over £400 for mine a year ago, now they can be picked up for £225.

Only using for gaming. Samsung 55 ultra HD 4K T.V.Yes £800 is cool.

Below spec is a pretty decent PC and is £870.

Changes can be made to the system, but not many would be recommended..

Case pick one you like - most cases these days are very similar and have really good cooling and cable management.

The CPU is the newish devil canyon i5.. Motherboard and RAM could be replaced with the new boards with DDR4 if required - this would add about £50-£100 onto the price of the machine.

GFX Card could be replaced with something cheaper, but if your planning to play games this is what I would probably recommend now as a good bang per buck option.. Otherwise the GTX 680 is currently a very good card to buy if you don't mind the 2nd hand GPU route.

spec.png

Last edited:
Or This?

Next Day - 5000

Intel i5 4690K (4 x 3.5 GHZ)
Overclocked upto 4 x 4.2 GHZ
16 GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 250 GB SSD SATA-III
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4 GB
Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard
BitFenix NVIDIA Case
Corsair 750W PSU
Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling
4 x USB 2 Ports
6 x USB 3 Ports
B/N/G 300 MB WiFi

Problems with this system...

Overclocked system using probably default settings - each CPU is different and requires a completely different settings.. So settings used will be on the extreme side just to make it stable.
Gerforce GTX 760 - Not much future proofing would play most games now at 1080p but future games will struggle.
Gigabyte Z97 board? Which board - these vary from £60 - £200.
Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling - This is clearly a gimmick to get people to buy something they think is superior as water cooled, but the H80i is about as good as a decent air cooler.

bsmaff

fifa15_xsplit.png

look at my resources when streaming fifa 15 with xsplit

I am pretty much under resource.

it only uses one GPU, so hopefully SLI support soon?

I would like to have a machine that can stream and I can mess about with without breaking a sweat

Time to send this old whore to the graveyard! So who can you recommend to by a rig from? Is this any good?

CPU: Intel i5 4590 (4 x 3.3 GHz) CPU Cooling: Intel Heatsink & Fan
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ Motherboard: Gigabyte B85 Motherboard
Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA-III Sound: 5.1 HD Sound
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 USB Ports: 6 x USB 2.0 & 2 x USB 3.0
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti - 2 GB Power Supply: Corsair 550W PSU
Optical Drive: 24x Dual Layer DVD/CD Re-Writer Operating System: Choose from Windows 7 64 BIT or Windows 8 64 BIT

Better than PS4 or XBO.
No need to upgrade for the years ahead, IMHO.

So these are my specs:

AMD A8-5500
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5670

The FIFA 15 demo runs kinda choppy for me and would like to purchase the full game but only when I'm sure I can run it well.

Where do you guys think my bottleneck is? Should I upgrade the video card?, the cpu? both? Or are there any tweaks I should try first and if so which ones?

Thanks for the help, not very good at these things

PC guys

I fancy treating myself to a new PC upgrade. This will also allow me to use old PC for my sons first gaming machine

Current system.
i7-2600 quad core(3.4Ghz turbo to 3.8Ghz)
Cooler: Thermaltake Frio cooler
GPU : 2x 570 sli
32Gb ram - Kingston KVR16N11/8 1600MHz DDR3 8Gb sticks
256Gb Samsung 830 SSD
320Gb Western Digital C Black
Sata drives.
PSU: Seventeam 750w
Hiper Anubis Case
Windows 8 pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro
1xDell SP2309W monitor
1xbenq XL2420TX used for gaming in 1080p

I want to build my new machine off the following
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-005-GI

What recommended ram or could I use 16gb of existing ram or would that become a bottle neck as I am considering a 780 sli or 780ti or the amd cards, undecided yet but waiting for the prices over the new few days with the new cards coming out.

I would need to also buy a case and that is probably something that would remain as part of my builds moving forward as I don't upgrade often maybe every couple of years.

Budget, don't know but maybe £1k

Must haves
Must be powerful enough to handle video streaming like xsplit etc.

Handle gaming and video rendering

Has digital audio output out of the box so is compatible with gaming headsets.

I have never got in to water cooling but like the "sound" of having a quiet machine.

Thanks for any help

don't waste your money on a new CPU, board and ram you don't need one your sandy bridge chip should overclock to 4.5ghz easily if its the K part, the devils canyon chip isn't a big enough upgrade to spend £350 on....you would be much better off spending your money on a GTX980 or even better 2xGTX970.

If you do a lot of video rendering you would be better off going over to x99 platform and getting a 6 or 8 core, but then you would have to get DDR4 which ain't cheap.

Back
Top Bottom