The Master League adventures thread

Finally started my first Master League on PES 2018! Decided that since Arsenal had the Emirates added in the last patch that I'd be doing it with them and even though I'm a Chelsea fan at heart, I've never really been one that disliked Arsenal.

Looking at the Arsenal team on paper I decided that I wanted to re-structure how the team was setup and revert back to the style of the double winning Arsenal side in 2001/2002 and the invincible season in 03/04. The 4-4-2 with Bergkamp occupying that 'number 10' role was always a really great Arsenal side to watch and I was such a huge fan of Ljunberg and Pires in the wide midfield roles with Patrick Vieira steaming through from midfield alongside Gilberto Silva.

So looking at the current Arsenal side, I decided we needed to overhaul the squad immediately. A new centre back was key, as was a new box to box centre midfielder in the Patrick Vieira mould. New wide midfielders were required - the current Arsenal wide players aren't midfielders, they're forwards and so it wouldn't work in the 4-4-2 system where everyone is required to move up and down the field as a unit.

Setting about the signings we went for Van Dijk (although a lengthy transfer process meant he missed the Community Shield and opening game of the season) as our ball playing centre half. We sold Alexis Sanchez to PSG for £38 millions and also managed to pick up Adrien Rabiot in the deal as well - tall, French - basically Patrick Viera.

For our wide players we signed Forsberg from RB Leipzig and Lemar from Lyon. Ideally we wanted Willian over Lemar but Chelsea were unwilling to even negotiate so Lemar came in. Ozil being moved into the number 10 role playing behind Lacazette up top!

At this point I'm pretty happy with the side, we made some good signings and the average age to the side is actually quite young which gives us a lot of room to grow although the lack of experience in midfield may harm us in the tougher games. Our starting XI on paper was then Petr Cech in goal; Bellarin and Kolasinac in the full back positions and Van Dijk and Koscienly at centre half. Xhaka and Rabiot start in centre midfield with Forsberg on the left and Lemar on the right; Ozil plays behind Lacazette up front.

Despite losing 2-1 to Chelsea we actually had a storming second half but Hazard & Morata pretty much tore us to pieces with two quick fire goals. Lacazette clawed one back but 2-1 to Chelsea was a fair result and unfortunately we lost the Community Shield.

Our first game of the season! Home to Man City - pretty much a game that we'd like to get a point from but I'm very much aware that City & Man Utd will be vying for the title, we're looking for a top 4 spot for Champions League and trying to pressure Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool for the 3rd place finish too.

A 2-1 loss to City wasn't ideal, Gabriel Jesus was great for City and scored two wonderful goals but there was yet again glimpses of hope. The Xhaka goal at 2-0 was a good example of the style that we're looking to play, strong through the centre of the pitch and tidy passing all over.

Another home game, this time to Bournemouth should hopefully see us get our first win of the season! And fortunately a convincing 2-0 win (Van Dijk's first game as well) meant that we kept a clean sheet. Both goals from Lacazette and both assisted by Ozil - good promise for the partnership.

The final game of the session was away at West Ham - a London derby and a pretty fiery one. Mark Noble was sent off for a second yellow in the first half and West Ham recorded 8 fouls to our 3. Feisty!

Fortunately an early goal by Rabiot set us up for a convincing 2-0 win before a late Ayew goal made it slightly more nervy.

Overall a mixed start - losing to City & Chelsea wasn't ideal but those aren't the games we're focusing on this season. We need to be beating Liverpool & Spurs to ensure we finish top four and guarantee Champions League football next season - it'll take a while for the new formation to gel as well but goals from Xhaka and Rabiot already suggest that the midfield power has the potential to work and Lacazette is working well with Ozil up top. The downside to 4-4-2 is playing against a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 and having your 2 CM's overworked and outrun by the 3 CM in the opposition formation so a plan B involving one of Wilshere and Ramsey needs to be considered too. Definitely worth trialling in the Europa League!

Nice read. I like the fact that you have a particular vision of how you want your side to play and what particular players you need to accommodate that system. Was ballsy selling Sanchez at the beginning, not many people would do that. I like it haha!

Nice read. I like the fact that you have a particular vision of how you want your side to play and what particular players you need to accommodate that system. Was ballsy selling Sanchez at the beginning, not many people would do that. I like it haha!

Some nice reading. Starting an ML soon and may go for Arsenal due to the stadia etc
How you finding advanced shooting?

Copa Del Rey 2nd Round

Deportivo
(0) 0-1 (1) Valencia (2nd leg)

Los Che progress at the expense of La Coruna. Don’t be fooled by the scoreline, Valencia could and should have put Deportivo to the sword if not for some wasteful finishing.

Japananese international Kagawa banged in the all important goal early on in the proceedings, a simple rebound fired past the keeper in the 12th minute after Soler’s initial header had been saved. Full back Montoya had done particularly well out on the right, committing the defender before squeezing in the delicious cross towards Soler.

Valencia really should have added another one or two in the second half, catching out Deportivo in their desperate quest for an equaliser. Soler and substitute Lookman the guilty parties, failing to hit the onion bag.

Mendieta can be pleased, especially with the discipline and controlled performance given by his players in the first half.

It doesn’t get any easier for Los Che. A tough draw against the mighty Barcelona all set for the next round.

Last edited:
Yeah, was really torn between keeping Sanchez and using him in that number 10 role or selling him to generate funds to adjust the rest of the team. Hopefully it works out...

@tomj your quest for recreating the old Arsenal feel with the new players is really fascinating and it's giving me some good ideas for future ML..

Brescia go into a tough away game against Parma and haven't won a match in a long time .. the good news is that top scorer Bonazzoli is back from a 2 month absence through an injury.. .will he make a difference?

Decided to slow the game down to -1 . .in the next match I changed a tactic to 4-4-2 and used false winger to bring Camara into the game more instead of being idle on the wing ... .Brescia v Entella.

Ooooh, I’ll be watching this vid later with intrigue. Often flirted with the idea of false wingers and having the full backs attacking the space created. Will be good to hear your thoughts on it too.

I’m such a p***y when it comes to out new things lol!

Transfer News

Plenty going on at the Mestalla as Valencia dip into the transfer market in an attempt to steer the club’s mediocre season back on track.

Cristian Pavón arrives from Argentinian giants Boca for an eye raising €20M. Untested in Europe, Valencia are investing a huge chunk of wonga in the undoubtably talented wide attacker. Mendieta will hope the youngster hits the ground running.

55B5BB48-91A5-4AF8-8192-5A3FCACFCAA3.jpeg
009F1C33-6CF9-420C-A385-6552F89D56C2.jpeg

It doesn’t end there for the team in the eastern port city. The Spanish club are locked deep in discussions with Diogo Jota’s agents in an attempt to bring the versatile forward back to the country of his birth. Although tearing up the Championship over in England, the player has much to prove here in Spain after a fairly unsuccessful time spent in the not so distant past at Atletico Madrid.

Lastly, North London giants Tottenham Hotspurs have tabled a €22M bid for Valencia’s Italian hitman Simone Zaza. The deal seemed highly unlikely to get going being as the forward is often Mendieta’s preferred choice leading the line for Los Che. However, Mendieta is a keen admirer of Tottenham’s young centre half Davinson Sánchez. If some sort of swap deal could be agreed upon by both clubs, then maybe.... just maybe English shores may once again be blessed with the presence of the bearded Italian!

Last edited:
Villarreal 1-2 Valencia

Substitute Rodrigo seals an unlikely victory for Valencia, but goalkeeper Neto is the real hero between the sticks!

This heated derby had everything! Penalties, flying challenges, goals, cards, late drama.... what a fantastic advert for La Liga other than the usual Galatico slug fests! In a game where Villarreal dominated there rivals but Valencia would just not lay down.

Club captain Parejo put Los Che ahead early in the second half, converting a spot kick low to Sergio Asenjo’s right, after Lookman had taken a theatrical tumble over the Villarreal Keeper in the 51st minute.

Exactly ten minutes later and Carlos Bacca dragged the yellow submarines back into the contest with a well taken first time effort. The Colombian’s predatory instincts in fine working order as the ball was cut back to him on the edge of the box!

Villarreal attacked and attacked and attacked but they couldn’t find a way past the gloves of Neto in the Valencia net. And so it was, with 88 minutes on the clock, Gayà sprinted like a man possessed down the left hand touchline before hanging up an inviting cross for the substitute Rodrigo to power home. Jubilation for the Orange faithful!

On a rather sour note Gabriel Paulista was rightfully given his marching orders for a horrendous challenge on Bacca from behind. A moment of madness from the Brazilian less than a minute after celebrating the winner with his team mates.

Villarreal may be higher in La Liga right now, but on this particular day bragging rights go to the Orange fans out in the east of Spain!

Decided to slow the game down to -1 . .in the next match I changed a tactic to 4-4-2 and used false winger to bring Camara into the game more instead of being idle on the wing ... .Brescia v Entella.

Well your plan certainly worked. Camara popping up with two goals. Nice!

Special mention got to be had about Cortesi’s miss in the 59th minute. I would have been livid if that were me haha! At least you were 2-0 up at the time

Well your plan certainly worked. Camara popping up with two goals. Nice!

Special mention got to be had about Cortesi’s miss in the 59th minute. I would have been livid if that were me haha! At least you were 2-0 up at the time

I tried to r2 it into the corner ha ha . .manual eh? Gonna watch your vid now.

Villarreal 1-2 Valencia

Substitute Rodrigo seals an unlikely victory for Valencia, but goalkeeper Neto is the real hero between the sticks!

This heated derby had everything! Penalties, flying challenges, goals, cards, late drama.... what a fantastic advert for La Liga other than the usual Galatico slug fests! In a game where Villarreal dominated there rivals but Valencia would just not lay down.

Club captain Parejo put Los Che ahead early in the second half, converting a spot kick low to Sergio Asenjo’s right, after Lookman had taken a theatrical tumble over the Villarreal Keeper in the 51st minute.

Exactly ten minutes later and Carlos Bacca dragged the yellow submarines back into the contest with a well taken first time effort. The Colombian’s predatory instincts in fine working order as the ball was cut back to him on the edge of the box!

Villarreal attacked and attacked and attacked but they couldn’t find a way past the gloves of Neto in the Valencia net. And so it was, with 88 minutes on the clock, Gayà sprinted like a man possessed down the left hand touchline before hanging up an inviting cross for the substitute Rodrigo to power home. Jubilation for the Orange faithful!

On a rather sour note Gabriel Paulista was rightfully given his marching orders for a horrendous challenge on Bacca from behind. A moment of madness from the Brazilian less than a minute after celebrating the winner with his team mates.

Villarreal may be higher in La Liga right now, but on this particular day bragging rights go to the Orange fans out in the east of Spain!

That match actually felt like a derby. . .you did well to nick it even though you were handed a dodgy peno lol.

Season 2 begins for Brescia . .there was a lot of selling and buying done in pre-season. .a lot of deadwood had to go . . .8 new players were brought in to strengthen the squad .. .Brescia manager Vialli hopes that these new signings can accelerate progress in a weak side.. . 2 new goalkeepers came in. . Chilean keeper Toselli and Leali an Italian . ..centre back Pedro Mendes Portugal.. .Etxabe a Venezuelan AMF and 4 forwards P Dos Santos a Brazilian left winger, F Macheda from Italy signed from rivals Novara . . .Lopez an SS from Argentina and French Forward O.Edoaurd . .. . .Unfortunately I forgot that Macheda is a troublesome player and won't sign a new contract and wouldn't do so in the last 2 versions of Pes .. waste of money already.

Here we go. . new season kicks off with Bari v Brescia

Not only is Macheda troublesome, apparently he's not very accurate in front of goal either judging by that performance.

That match actually felt like a derby. . .you did well to nick it even though you were handed a dodgy peno lol.

The way I was giving the ball away so cheaply in the 1st phase of play, I really didn’t deserve to get even a draw from that match.

Penalty was a proper dodgefest hahaha!!!

The way I was giving the ball away so cheaply in the 1st phase of play, I really didn’t deserve to get even a draw from that match.

Penalty was a proper dodgefest hahaha!!!

Totti I've noticed something lately. . .when the patch came out manual passing felt assisted . .now it's going all over the gaff .. I'm passing to a guy 4 feet away and missing or it rolls out of play unless it's a new way of scripting . .I've gone entire matches misplacing passes. .very strange.

That’s a good thing though, isn’t it?

I mean you don’t want manual passing to feel assisted do you, otherwise it ain’t full manual. Personally I like full manual, but I couldn’t play a whole season using it

La Liga Standings

8264B840-728B-479C-A6DE-5621D43BBE4C.jpeg

Just over half way, having played 21 matches. An even spread of results see’s Valencia sit 9th in La Liga, just two places below (but a whole 7 points behind) Las Palmas who currently command that all important final Europa league qualifying spot.

Three way battle at the summit with the usual suspects Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Barcelona breaking away and fighting it out for the La Liga crown.

Totti I've noticed something lately. . .when the patch came out manual passing felt assisted . .now it's going all over the gaff .. I'm passing to a guy 4 feet away and missing or it rolls out of play unless it's a new way of scripting . .I've gone entire matches misplacing passes. .very strange.

Hi Deco, it’s strange because i had a couple of games in Champions League mode to see what changes the patch had made. And i found manual passing to be more assisted than it was previously. I know others have mentioned this too.

As you say maybe it is a type of ‘scripting’ in ML.

Hi Deco, it’s strange because i had a couple of games in Champions League mode to see what changes the patch had made. And i found manual passing to be more assisted than it was previously. I know others have mentioned this too.

As you say maybe it is a type of ‘scripting’ in ML.

Yeh Geeeee but the misplacing every pass has only happened in the last couple of days . .it has to be part of Ml script . . as if Ml isn't hard enough ha ha.

Yeh Geeeee but the misplacing every pass has only happened in the last couple of days . .it has to be part of Ml script . . as if Ml isn't hard enough ha ha.

Ha ha.

I’m slightly jealous of you guys that are enjoying the game. I keep trying it but something is missing. I’m probably getting too picky in my youthful old age :P

Ha ha.

I’m slightly jealous of you guys that are enjoying the game. I keep trying it but something is missing. I’m probably getting too picky in my youthful old age :P

You're denying yourself a decent game geeeeee . .. you might come back someday the Rock is gone AWOL as well.,

Brescia are doing slightly better than last season. ..next up they are away to Benevento a tough team to beat . .this is actually quite a good game, a sense of realism about it.

Valencia 0-2 Sevilla

A tired looking Valencia soundly beaten by in form Sevilla.

With Gabriel suspended, Captain Parejo and vice captain Gaya both fatigued, Valencia were up against it before a Ball had even been kicked! Lukaku had returned to Lazio at the completion of his 6 month loan spell so Gaya had to remain in the side as the only recognised left back despite being shattered due to a heavy winter fixture pile up. Kondogbia and Soler partnered in the centre of midfield with Parejo dropping to the bench.

The first 45 minutes ran smooth enough for Los Che and in fact the home side should have taken the lead through Rodrigo. The forward, however, failed to bury Soler’s square ball on 38 minutes with only the keeper to beat, Sergio Rico somehow getting down into the corner to push the ball wide of the post.

Come the second half and the chinks in Valencia’s armour started to show with Sevilla stepping up a gear and taking the lead within six minutes of the restart. Ex Manchester City winger Jesus Navas the scorer, dispatching his shot past the keeper into the bottom left corner after a simple one-two with Pizarro on the edge of the box. A hagered Valencia had simply switched off.

Mendieta’s charges looked out of ideas and out of puff. So it was no surprise when, in the 81st min, Muriel sealed the victory for the away side. Centre back Murillo stretched every sinew in his body in a desperate attempt to cut out the lofted ball over the top of the Valencia rearguard but he was unable to cut it out and the former Sampdoria pace merchant finished confidently from six yards.

Real Sociedad 2-0 Valencia

Mendieta on the brink! after humbling in the Basque Country.

A must win match in there quest for European football, Valencia were thoroughly out classed In San Sebastián.

Willian Jose is in a rich vein of form of late and it was the marksman’s quickfire double that stole the show in this one. His first goal on 22 minutes an absolute thunderbolt from 25 yards. God only knows what speed that strike was travelling at! A Devastating finish from the forward.

Five minutes later and Willian Jose grabbed his second. Montoya was at fault down the right of the 18 yard box, failing to get goal side of his man and allowing an easy cross to find Jose at the near post. It was another top quality finish, the striker’s deft header leaving the Valencia keeper flat on his arse!

Rumours emanating from the dressing room after the defeat suggest possible unrest among the senior players. Apparently instructions were not given by the manager to man mark the Sociedad forwards today. If true, a mistake which could ultimately cost the Mendieta his job.

True to form, the chairman had this to say after the defeat:

B58264A8-1B0D-42FE-890D-447F664BD70D.jpeg

“I’ve only got so much good will. Perhaps it was a mistake to stick with you... it’s up to you to prove your worth to this club”

Last chance saloon!

Valencia 0-2 Sevilla

A tired looking Valencia soundly beaten by in form Sevilla.

With Gabriel suspended, Captain Parejo and vice captain Gaya both fatigued, Valencia were up against it before a Ball had even been kicked! Lukaku had returned to Lazio at the completion of his 6 month loan spell so Gaya had to remain in the side as the only recognised left back despite being shattered due to a heavy winter fixture pile up. Kondogbia and Soler partnered in the centre of midfield with Parejo dropping to the bench.

The first 45 minutes ran smooth enough for Los Che and in fact the home side should have taken the lead through Rodrigo. The forward, however, failed to bury Soler’s square ball on 38 minutes with only the keeper to beat, Sergio Rico somehow getting down into the corner to push the ball wide of the post.

Come the second half and the chinks in Valencia’s armour started to show with Sevilla stepping up a gear and taking the lead within six minutes of the restart. Ex Manchester City winger Jesus Navas the scorer, dispatching his shot past the keeper into the bottom left corner after a simple one-two with Pizarro on the edge of the box. A hagered Valencia had simply switched off.

Mendieta’s charges looked out of ideas and out of puff. So it was no surprise when, in the 81st min, Muriel sealed the victory for the away side. Centre back Murillo stretched every sinew in his body in a desperate attempt to cut out the lofted ball over the top of the Valencia rearguard but he was unable to cut it out and the former Sampdoria pace merchant finished confidently from six yards.

Muriel . ..one of my favourite players in Pes .. reminds me a lot of Romario the way he finishes sometimes. ..had him in my ML side last year and he scored some brilliant goals mainly in the box with that little hop skip thing that Romario used to do.

Real Sociedad 2-0 Valencia

Mendieta on the brink! after humbling in the Basque Country.

A must win match in there quest for European football, Valencia were thoroughly out classed In San Sebastián.

Willian Jose is in a rich vein of form of late and it was the marksman’s quickfire double that stole the show in this one. His first goal on 22 minutes an absolute thunderbolt from 25 yards. God only knows what speed that strike was travelling at! A Devastating finish from the forward.

Five minutes later and Willian Jose grabbed his second. Montoya was at fault down the right of the 18 yard box, failing to get goal side of his man and allowing an easy cross to find Jose at the near post. It was another top quality finish, the striker’s deft header leaving the Valencia keeper flat on his arse!

Rumours emanating from the dressing room after the defeat suggest possible unrest among the senior players. Apparently instructions were not given by the manager to man mark the Sociedad forwards today. If true, a mistake which could ultimately cost the Mendieta his job.

True to form, the chairman had this to say after the defeat:

View attachment 2286

“I’ve only got so much good will. Perhaps it was a mistake to stick with you... it’s up to you to prove your worth to this club”

Last chance saloon!

That first goal was unstoppable ..good game Totti.

Back
Top Bottom