The greatest player ever IMHO

regardless of the brilliance ive seen in the clips and all the stories at OT I hear about best and pele...

for me there is only one player who rates as The Greatest....

and thats Maradona, I know he's better than george best or pele...

simply cos I watched Maradona win the world cup on his own...

thats it for me...

people who are old enough or not old enough to have seen other great sporting moments will have a difference of opinion.....

and thats fair enough but if your opinion is based on highlight clips or stories then I dont think it carries as much weight...

IMHO...

But for overall performance this year, I'm still sticking with Kaka. Even when we play shit, he can change the result on his own.
Of course, Kaka win the Ballon d'or 2007 (win CL, best scorer in CL, best player of the CL) for sure, but in the season 07/08 Messi make a incredible start.

But for overall performance this year, I'm still sticking with Kaka. Even when we play shit, he can change the result on his own.

kaka is excellent, I've not seen anyone destroy united single handed since redondo in 2000...

for me he's a close second to messi...

its only my personal bias towards barca and spanish footy in general that swings it....

Hahaha Fookin dreamland!!!!

As in out of your fookin mind!!!!

In fact this is CATEGORICALLY the WORST load of shite I have EVER heard anyone say in any footbal thread EVER!!!!!

Terry? Stam?

George Best had the likes of Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith trying to kick the shite out of him. They could chop him down or kick him in the arse and 90% of the time it went unpunished.

Terry and Stam are complete wimps in comparison to those defenders and he faced better defenders in terms of skill and culture back then as well.

Watch this again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplemK3Y4ns

Look at how his enormous pace, control, two footed balance etc sees him fly past defenders no matter what they try, skill or hacking he makes them look fookin stupid.

Mate the likes of Ronaldinho, Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka etc make the defenders you talk of and most modern day defenders look turd when they are on form and NONE of those players are fit to even be metioned in the same breath as Best when you are talking overall ability....

Watch the video and wake the fook up!!!!

P.S

When Best retired he had horrific scars down both legs according to one of his wifes...no protection at all back then you see....so seriously don't come at people talkin about Terry and Stam as though they are hard men who could tackle cause that is a pathetic joke...the like of Hunter and Smith would rip Terry and Stams heads off for breakfast and shit them out!! And don't mention Terry and Stam from a skill point of view cause as that is just as stupid given Nesta, Canavaro, Maldini etc make them look rubbbish from a skill perspective..On which note Best would have made those defender look like idiots as well...Best was utterly unplayable like Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Zico etc...

And please please please do NOT mention Terry or Stam and say they could have stopped Pele, Maradona, Cruyff or Zico otherwise I will have find you and put a stake through your heart:shock: just so I don't have to put up with the idea that such mong though can exist!!!

P.S to my P.S

If that is REALLY harsh....I don't care because that post was REALLY fookin stupid!!

You are obsessed with Man United and their players!

Zidane, then Maradona, then a big gap.

Zidane on form was out of this world.

I know this sort of thread is very subjective, but there are certain limits...
One reason why i don't agree: it's much too soon to judge Zidane's carreer...right at the moment it is impossible to put things i perspective...
He certainly was my favourite player the last 15 years, but he wasn't that successfull in club football...just to give one "negative" argument...it's too soon...

I've seen both Best, Cruijff and Pele irl, IMHO they are all better than Zizou...and there enough other people on this forum who consider Maradonna the best ever...

being a united you get told about duncan edwards from a young age...

and ive read tonnes of stuff from, players,managers, supporters,press who saw him play

but its hard to measure with all the romance involved....

Last edited:
One reason why i don't agree: it's much too soon to judge Zidane's carreer...right at the moment it is impossible to put things i perspective...
He certainly was my favourite player the last 15 years, but he wasn't that successfull in club football...just to give one "negative" argument...it's too soon...

I've seen both Best, Cruijff and Pele irl, IMHO they are all better than Zizou...and there enough other people on this forum who consider Maradonna the best ever...

disagree with you about zizou gerd...

a similar point of view could be used re pele (never played in europe) and best (never played in a world cup)

cruijff is in a league of his own really cos he was so successful as a coach aswell as a player

but Zizous trophy haul with both juve and madrid is pretty good, other than uefa cup he's won everything...

wasnt bad in major tournaments either...

but you saw all the players play in their respective era's, in the moments so to speak, so fair enough...

but Zizou defo belongs on that list...

you not a maradonna fan?

Actually i quite like Maradonna, but it disturbs me a litle bit that to most people who've never seen Pele, there is no contest between Maradonna and Pele.
I tend to say the opposite to make my point (to be fair to Maradonna, the difference is small).

What disturbed me in my reaction was "the huge gap" between Zizou and Maradonna...what about Cruijff, Pele, Puskas, Garrincha, Di Stefano and Giggs (i too am a big fan of Giggs, but to put him that list is a litle joke).

In history - Maradona, no-one even comes close.

My personal fave who I have watched from the stands - Eric Cantona. He made the game look so simple. Dennis Bergkamp a close second. Giggs would have to be in there somewhere too.

You are obsessed with Man United and their players!

Er sorry to burst your bubble but I'm an Evertonian :lmao::lmao::lmao:

regardless of the brilliance ive seen in the clips and all the stories at OT I hear about best and pele...

for me there is only one player who rates as The Greatest....

and thats Maradona, I know he's better than george best or pele...

simply cos I watched Maradona win the world cup on his own...

thats it for me...

people who are old enough or not old enough to have seen other great sporting moments will have a difference of opinion.....

and thats fair enough but if your opinion is based on highlight clips or stories then I dont think it carries as much weight...

IMHO...

So how many games did you watch Maradona play total?

What Zidane could do with a football was beyond the wildest imagination. He would do skills and tricks players would never even think of inventing. He was a rebel, a class act! He never gave up, he kept fighting. When the big games came up he had a giant performance. Remember his goal in the Champions League final v Leverkusen ? What about his headers in the WC 1998 final. It is rare that a player with such skill in his feet can be such a good header of the ball.

Zidane tore Brazil apart in 2006, he totally out-skilled and out-classed them. And then in the final, well we all know about the headbutt, but remember the penalty... the chip. You don't do that in the biggest sporting event in the world. It's the world cup final, the weight of history leans heavy on your shoulder, you should just drill the ball into the corner... that's the easy way, that's the safe bet. But not Zizou, he knew he could chip it and score, only he had the skill, only he had the balls.

We are often harsh to judge those whose presence has only just gone. In a way it's easy to look back 15-20 years and let the misty nostalgia take over, and think things like "players had to be better then, it was a better era"... But I believe that history will recall him as the greatest.

Maradona came very close though!

An Evertonian thats obssessed with Man Utd players. Thats even funnier. :lmao:

How am I?

I post a LOT about football....in the Man Utd thread, in the Everton thread, the seria a and la liga thread etc...

How am I obsessed with Man Utd?

I don't see it.

If you want a link in terms of Best I'll give you one.

He was from Northern Ireland and so was my dad and I lived there as a kid....there you go. :)

Go and see how many posts I have is the seria a thread....maybe I am obsessed with Italinas as well then? Haha daft.

Last edited:
So you talk about George Best, Pele and Maradonna etc, its not in my time but I would like to know, why does the best player always consist of beeing the best dribbler and attacker basically?

What about truly masterful defenders, surely they should stand as much of a chance to be best player ever? But they get overlooked as people dont care about who stops the goals, just who scores them, these things are always biased in that way aswell.

TBH I believe theres not such thing as best player, because you can be best in a FIELD in football but not the best player. For me atleast the best player would have to have equal skill in all areas, defending, passing, shooting, dribbling etc as well as a good visionary on the pitch.

But I dunno who fits that role for me to decide. :D

My favourite player of all time though is Ronaldo (Brazilian) because he was my role model, and been through quite a lot and still going strong, world cup record scorer. I was happy for the fella.

Greatest Player I ever saw live - King Kenny Dalglish

Greatest Player of all time - Maradonna/Pele/Cryuff/Platini

god knows, a few world cup games, few club games....

more than I saw of best or pele...

Exactly, that was the answer that I thought would be forthcoming and the reason I asked the question.

The point is, it is so few games that it equates to little more than than clips.

The fact is a lad of 15 could if he wanted to go and get 40 matches of Pele or George Best or Cruyyf, Zico etc out of the archives and have just as good an idea of the relative merits of each player as you could of Maradona irrespective of whether or not they were able to watch the player live.

That kind of makes a mockery of this idea of having to be their at the time.

The only legitimate argument for being their at the time, would be if you are talking at the games live as that would allow you to see off the ball movement and action, position etc that could not be picked up via archive video.

As I stands I have seen more games of Puskas than you have of Maradona despite not being alive when he played. Now I don't think that Puskas was as good as Maradona from what I have seen, but if I did I could legitimately argue it with you irrespective of not being alive when he played, as you would have no more (in fact less) to go off than I would.

Can you see the point?

Also because ALL of us look at differing attributes with differing levels of respect and fondness and because none of us has watched all the players we are talking about to the same levels of detail in terms of matches;

The idea of a definitive answer to the question is utterly ludicrous and 100% well and truely unattainable.

Given the above facts and problems that are inherent in such an issue there is little to ZERO point in trying to differentiate the legitimacy in any persons criteria.

Bloke A says this player is the best and bloke B says this players is the best and they both have the legitimacy of their subjective opinion, neither opinion would be worth jack shit if you tried to apply an objective criteria.....FAR too many cracks in the reasoning you see and the nature of the question always results in a truly subjective answer.

I say George Best was the Best, you say it is Maradona, someone else says it is Zico or Zidane, Pele etc

The only way you can convince anyone that you are right is to alter their subjective opinion by showing them things that you think makes your guy better. So you show them footage and you hope it is convincing enough to persuade them of the merits of what you are saying....

If the other persons disagree and shows you footage of their guy and you are not swayed towards their guy you have an impasse and have to agree to disagree....

The will NEVER be any means of settling these arguments other than the one I mentioned above which is both good and bad.

Vikash Dhorasoo. No debate.
14vik.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add Paulo Maldini. As a kid growing up obsessed with Italian football and playing as a defender at school (because I was nearly 6ft by the 4th year in Comp my P.E. teacher made me play centre-back) I thought and still think that he was/is class. Maybe the best reader of the game I know of - he did everything right. Anyone here buy Four Four Two magazine? There is a section at the back where pros of past and present have to list what they think is their best eleven. 9 times out of 10 Maldini is their choice of left-back. He has won everything too.

Actually, fuck it.

The best player ever is Maldini for me. :)

Hes the first football player I ever followed. My first Milan kit was a Maldini one... as was my 2nd. Its his final year with Milan... so I'm considering getting the home kit with his name on it.

Heres a clip of his 10 year old son tackling Seedorf...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpPD3FpxIg
Milan will retire Maldini's number 3 and reserve it for any of his sons if they become Milan players.

Back
Top Bottom