The greatest player ever IMHO

A great player...but not in the same league as George Best IMO. Take a look at that first compilation, can you honestly say that Zico matched anything like that?

I can't see it myself even if a lot of the skill, goals and free kicks were utterly brilliant.

Last edited:
its funny in second video he scores when the keeper tries to kick off , fifa messed the good old rules which had enjoyable moments.

its funny in second video he scores when the keeper tries to kick off , fifa messed the good old rules which had enjoyable moments.

He made one of the best keepers of all time look like a total tool, something pretty difficult to do.

Have you seen the way he takes the pizz out of England in the second video?

In the second video how he sets up the most amazing free kick with Rodney Marsh?

Has anyone ever seen dribling at that pace and with that change of pace and balance....and in doing so often going past three or four players at a time?

And with people trying to chop him to bits as well.

To me he makes C Ronaldo and Ronaldinho look like chopped live and nothing more than average.

Last edited:
ALEX DE SOUZA ''The Genius''

20AlexDeSouza.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNy7QnMPg4

:shock::shock::shock::shock: :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Dennis Begkamp = the best

by the way what does IMHO mean? I'm not up with the lingo.

Comparing Bergkamp to George Best is insane/mentally questionable in my view....each to his own though I guess.

Maradona. Many, many times.

Maradona for me is the only player that can ever be compared to George Best in terms of driblling ability. For me Best was the Best, for others it will be Maradona...certainly was was utterly amazing.

One thing though...did Maradona have people like Norman Hunter trying to rip his bolllox off?

Pele :) that man had everything!!

Apparently Pele said that he thought George Best was the best player ever. I have heard people say that at any rate....be interesting to know if it was true.

Pele like Maradona and Best.....you pick which one does it for you most I guess.

One thing though...did Maradona have people like Norman Hunter trying to rip his bolllox off?

I'd say yes he did.
Maradona was assaulted on more than a few occasions in Italy and at international level.
Of course we like to look back at Best and the way he was treated by British defenders with almost fond memories about the good ol fashioned defender, but many players that played against Maradona were every bit as nasty.

For me Maradona is the greatest, but as you say; how can you argue if one says Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Zidane?
All undoubtedly tremendous players from different times with different attributes.

My dad says the thing he liked about Best, was that he could play in 6 inches of mud or on a bowling green and that his work rate and defensive work were immense.

George Best was a really good player, specially comparing to the ones of his same position nowadays. He had a tremendous dribbling, awesome speed and scoring, but to say that he's the greatest is a bit too much.

Maybe if you guys watch some videos of the one i think is the greatest, IMHO, you change your mind too. People say that one image sometimes worth more than 1.000 words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnADkkxmhfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFgkzOSBA2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHeVu_8VcyE

I'd say yes he did.
Maradona was assaulted on more than a few occasions in Italy and at international level.
Of course we like to look back at Best and the way he was treated by British defenders with almost fond memories about the good ol fashioned defender, but many players that played against Maradona were every bit as nasty.

I am aware of the players of Maradonas era who tried to kick him off the park, but I think the standard of protection in England in the 70s was much worse. Throughout those Best Videos you can see players going in all the time with what would be straight red cards today. I never saw anything as bad against Maradona bar the odd insanity which you'll get in any era....still. I do not hold fond memories of that era by the way and certainly not of players like Norman Hunter and his ilk.

For me Maradona is the greatest, but as you say; how can you argue if one says Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Zidane?
All undoubtedly tremendous players from different times with different attributes.

I totally agree. I mean I want in my heart of hearts to say no screw it Best WAS the BEST and any conflicting opinion is of no merit :lmao: But I know that we all view these things differently, see differing games, enjoy differing aspects of the game etc and I know that just because I passionately hold a view that all things being equal so do others :lmao:

You have to laugh though because we all secretly think that we as individuals have it right...its our secret pride Haha.

My dad says the thing he liked about Best, was that he could play in 6 inches of mud or on a bowling green and that his work rate and defensive work were immense.

His control on abysmal pitches was amazing and he had everything, balance, two footed, control, change of pace, pace, football brain, driblling, strikering, volleys, passing, flicks, heading, inspiration, work rate....the lot.

And you look at those compilations and you think not only do they blow 99% of players into a cocked hat, but also because of the time we have virtually no footage of him. That lot is only a fragment.

Apparently when playing for Fulham the ball was passed to him on the half way line and he threatened to kick the ball and midfielders backed off due to the respect they had for his speed and disguise/control. He lifted the ball up with one foot and struck it so hard with his other foot, that when it hit the top corner from near the half way line the keeper hadn't even moved.

That is what Rodney Marsh said....again though no footage due to the era.

There's something about George Best that makes me love to watch him play, it's that kind of arrogance he has, something I saw a lot of in Cantona too.

With out question george best was the greatest player to play this game , seen the documentary when pele admited best was best! he did it on crappy mud filled pitches crap boots and all, not the bowling greens are so called super stars play on today

Jesus db, that picture again...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
As a good Belgian it is my duty to say that WE won that match ( WC1982 in Barcelona: Belgium-Argentina 1-0 goal by Vandenbergh...).

Unless you refer to one of the Belgian players as the best ever...that's maybe a tiny litle exagerated...

oh and: Pele of course, there's no discussion...

oh and: Pele of course, there's no discussion...

... of course there is.

You could discuss how Maradona played in a team of much inferior players as what Pele did and also in a much stronger league than what Pele did.

Pele never done anything domestically outside of Brazil and unfortunately Best never got the chance to do it at international level, hence the unfair lack of worldwide recognition.

Maradona took an average Napoli team to the Italian title and an OK Argentina team to the World Cup.
Pele had the benefit of playing with the very best players alongside him (as did Best to a certain extent at Man Utd at the time) and also in a weaker league.

Indeed grounds for discussion, don't you think?;)

Back
Top Bottom