The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Iphone's are shit if you don't jailbreak them

There is alot of stuff you can't do without jail breaking including using stuff over 3G when it isnt allowed by Apple and simple things like adding a gesture to close all backgrounded apps (Apples background stuff is absolutely shit) and if you like customisation it opens up endless possibilities

Oh and SB and/or NCsettings are a must

These explain some benefits

http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone-4s-4-3-3gs

worth getting a 1-2 year old macbook (air or pro) as a new computer for university? i can't see myself spending money on a brand new one, used ones seem a bit better in price.

has to be portable for sure.

I would buy an Apple product once new models come out and they reach clearance prices, then buy refurbished. You're basically paying extra for a box...

yeah i wanted to go the refurbed way, i did it with my ipad and never regreted it.

cheapest air at the moment is the july 11 i5 with 64 gb ssd for 799€, which i think is reasonable (i love the weight, feel and size of the air)

october 11 pro's start at 1189€, which i guess isn't a bad price either and 13 inch is quite a bit better (+ it has the i7, bigger hard drive, upgrade possibility etc.)

i am still undecided. will only buy in september though, no need for it right now.

For those that have jailbroken their iPhone what is the best one to use absinthe etc? Also any recommended themes or apps? I have 5.1.1 4s.

I want the buff theme, but is there one you can just download and it is all done? I have seen one where it looks like you will have to download a million things and load them on?!

Any help will be good :DD

Redsnow is the easiest for a 4S

You don't even have to go into DFU mode now to jailbreak, it does it all for you on the device itself

Bob try Dreamboard, with that you can just choose a theme and it will sort it all out rather than faffing about with multiple things on Winterboard

I was using these iNav HD, OS7: Revive Asymmetric HD

Paper Lock is pretty good as well for your lock screen

YouTube - PaperLock

I always mess about in Dreamboard but find myself using the standard iOS one.

Cheers guys, Still thinking whether to Jailbreak or not? Everybody says it is 100% safe now to do it (If you change the root password etc) but I still think something might go wrong :PP

Also it says to back up to itunes before you do it, where is the itunes backup kept? and how many backup points does itunes let you go back until?

Does the itunes back up everything? music, apps, contacts? so if my jailbreak goes a bit iffy, I can just restore back to a previous back up before jailbreak and it all goes back to normal?

You can backup as many times as you want and it stores everything so if a problem occurs you just restore and its back to as it was before you jailbroke it

I Jailbroke it, lots of little apps/tweaks that make the iphone just that bit easier to use, I just don't understand why they didn't just put the features there anyway.

For instance, I downloaded an app that makes siri a bit more powerful, so you can ask it to open apps etc also when your phone is locked you can say siri and siri will pop up. Just little things, that make life easier! the latter especially good when driving, so you can send texts and make calls without touching the phone at all.

Happy with it at the moment, just trying to find a nice theme at the moment.

decided to sell off my desktop pc and go for a better equipped model, i think it's going to be worth it.not using my desktop for anything really other than wasting time, and i really shouldnt be doing that right now;)

Has anybody heard that if you jailbreak it messes up your gps on the phone? and you have to download an app to fix it?

I haven't heard this, but a friend mentioned it yesterday to me, is it true? or is it just on old jailbreaks?

One more question: when you say GPS you mean the Maps application? Or are you using an actual GPS unit like the TomTom GPS?

My friend said 'gps' but I don't know, I haven't been anywhere to test out the gps yet? I was just wondering if it was a problem when you jailbreak?

I can't believe it is still a problem, otherwise it would be the first thing people would tell you to change when you jailbreak? all of the guides etc I have looked at nobody mentions it.....except for my friend.

My friend said 'gps' but I don't know, I haven't been anywhere to test out the gps yet? I was just wondering if it was a problem when you jailbreak?

I can't believe it is still a problem, otherwise it would be the first thing people would tell you to change when you jailbreak? all of the guides etc I have looked at nobody mentions it.....except for my friend.

All right, he may just be talking about the Maps application, but I have no problems like that on my 4S with 5.1.1. If anything happens though, just keep a backup of your phone without the jailbreak and you can always restore in case anything goes wrong. The JB is software based so you can undo it.

All right, he may just be talking about the Maps application, but I have no problems like that on my 4S with 5.1.1. If anything happens though, just keep a backup of your phone without the jailbreak and you can always restore in case anything goes wrong. The JB is software based so you can undo it.

Cool, cheers :))I made a back up so all should be fine.

ordered a new 11" with 4gb ram and the 64 ssd + a free ipod nano 8 gig and 5% student discount

if i can sell the nano i am at ~ 800€, which is the price for the cheapest refurb air in the official apple store at the moment.

Not bad at all, but only a 64GB SSD? It's hardly any space at all. But you can upgrade the SSD right? I believe it's the RAM that's soldered to the motherboard.

i honestly don't know. i will be making good use of usb drives, that's for sure.

good thing the mid 12 model has got usb 3.0 :)

Yeah, and you got cloud storage options too. Dropbox, Skydrive, Box, take your pick. I'm regretting not waiting for the USB 3 models; still using my core2duo Air with USB 2.

I highly recommend jailbreak users to get "Nitrous" on Cydia (BigBoss Repo) for 0.99$. This tweak enables every iOS app to make use of Apple's proprietary "Nitro" javascript engine. Up until now, 3rd party apps were forced to use the old WebKit javascript engine instead which leads to alternate browsers like Chrome or iCab perform like crap compared to Safari, especially on sites where there's lots of scripting going on. Well, this finally ends now. It also gives a HUGE boost to other javascript-heavy apps like Facebook, Flipboard and basically every other app which downloads stuff from the interwebs. I can't recommend this enough, it's easily amongst THE very best Cydia tweaks you could get.

You can find benchmarks and shit here:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/07/30/nitrous/

Back
Top Bottom