PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I think PES stats do matter, until the CPU decides they don't matter anymore and the scripting kicks in.
I had been playing on Top Player for a while until I couldn't take no more. I was feeling so much anger inside. Players become unresponsive all of a sudden or throughout an entire (important) match. AI getting every lose ball. Scoring (amazing) goals from distance. And whenever I scored, it would take them about 20 seconds to score back. I went back to Professional.

How Konami can't see this and make harder difficulties more reasonable and more human it's beyond me.

@Chuny i think having option in gameplay slider and option in weather and match time is different in nature..

in my opinion, Konami should just focus on how stats and everything inside gameplan give more pronounced impact on the game.

Having something like more pass error, defensive line is like overlapping the idea of having player stats and gameplan options in the beginning.

offtopic love pes ball physic this year :D

Overlapping them, yes! It should simply emphasize the stats. That's why it's so important sliders are implemented in the right way. Should work WITH the stats, not against them.

Stats are in a weird spot this year. They do definitely matter, but I think they are too tied with team spirit, special ability cards and the general alchemy there is between the 22 players in the field.. so sometimes the effect can be random or screwed..

That said I'm doing a great ML with Juventus.. and I remember losing like 6 games in a row with Cagliari.. can't be a case..

I think some of y'all might be missing the point of sliders. Yes, you can use them to affect runs etc, but for me the most important use for sliders is decreasing shot and pass accuracy. Using sliders to affect these in FIFA is one of the biggest reasons I've made the switch to playing FIFA full time over PES (I had been a PES player since the early 2000s). Both games on their default levels are far too accurate for me in both regards. In the brief time I played PES this year, I noticed shots flying in from all angles and distances, and even when you missed, they missed by a yard or two - and I've noticed loads of others complaining about this. When you have sliders, you can easily fix this problem, and adjust the game exactly to your taste.

The added bonus is the more inaccurate you make passing and shooting, the more player stats are accentuated - the more inaccurate passes are in general, the more you have to actually worry about players being good at passing. Think about it this way - if every player in the game passes the ball at about 90% accuracy, you won't notice that much of a difference between the player passing at 90% and 95%. But if bad players start to pass at a 75% rate, and good players remain at about 85-90, suddenly you have to focus on your players skills a lot more.

Just my two cents on how vital sliders are - I can't live without em.

I think some of y'all might be missing the point of sliders. Yes, you can use them to affect runs etc, but for me the most important use for sliders is decreasing shot and pass accuracy. Using sliders to affect these in FIFA is one of the biggest reasons I've made the switch to playing FIFA full time over PES (I had been a PES player since the early 2000s). Both games on their default levels are far too accurate for me in both regards. In the brief time I played PES this year, I noticed shots flying in from all angles and distances, and even when you missed, they missed by a yard or two - and I've noticed loads of others complaining about this. When you have sliders, you can easily fix this problem, and adjust the game exactly to your taste.

The added bonus is the more inaccurate you make passing and shooting, the more player stats are accentuated - the more inaccurate passes are in general, the more you have to actually worry about players being good at passing. Think about it this way - if every player in the game passes the ball at about 90% accuracy, you won't notice that much of a difference between the player passing at 90% and 95%. But if bad players start to pass at a 75% rate, and good players remain at about 85-90, suddenly you have to focus on your players skills a lot more.

Just my two cents on how vital sliders are - I can't live without em.

Will you please tell this to my new striker, he is a big lump, great in the air, good finisher, but he can’t pass for shit and he is as mobile as Stephen Hawkings on acid.....

still can’t get into this game even with the patch, really tried hard but it’s not doing it for me, I hate when you recover the ball in defense and the AI offensive players run away from the ball carrier, also AI recovers very quickly when out of position, backheels still annoying, but that’s just my view, can’t really enjoy either game this year.

Last edited:
Anyway, my ML impression so far on top player. Manchester city is harder to play compared to west ham. Good stuff. Will try new one with superstar as pre-patch on this difficulty is a bit againts the reality lol

This night i tested a littlle the new gameplay with some friends and i really enjoyed it.
We usually played human vs CPU and human vs human in a custom league. we played 6 matches this night. (Professional 13 mins)
I'm surprised about the advantage rule, finally they understood how must works.
Also the keepers seems improved and now sort out a little more. If the will fix the def line and the too low release fee clauses i guess that i can really love this game.
My choice has been Belgium, my friends are using Germany and Spain, CPU teams are Brazil, France and England.
for three times (in different matches) the referee has whistled after my missed shot.. great. Also two red cards for my friends and one for CPU, gained one penalty (vs CPU) , some saves over the line and a great battle for the first place versus France, I was defeat 3-4 but i really enjoyed the match, probably Payet scored the most beautiful free kick that i never see this year from CPU. Unsadly i haven't recorded that :(

With two missing turns all can happen

And also Lukaku can win the Top Scorer title

@matt
- what kind of slider do you want to fix no 2 video ?
- which one do you specifically refer to.. the one that follow attacker inside the box or the man with the ball.. ?
- Is that issue you have happen with higher rated defender, what difficulty..

Last edited:
I think PES stats do matter, until the CPU decides they don't matter anymore and the scripting kicks in.
I had been playing on Top Player for a while until I couldn't take no more. I was feeling so much anger inside. Players become unresponsive all of a sudden or throughout an entire (important) match. AI getting every lose ball. Scoring (amazing) goals from distance. And whenever I scored, it would take them about 20 seconds to score back. I went back to Professional.

How Konami can't see this and make harder difficulties more reasonable and more human it's beyond me.

beat that ***er by turning around the scoreline mu vs spurs in ML after Eriksen scoring a cheating FK goal. im on to p o f the world!

and those f'in freekicks matter a hell of a lot! thank god they are in there now

This is my final verdict.

pros:
- the whole dynamics of the game
- it is addicting
- it looks beautiful (never had next gen pes yet)
- animations are top notch
- stats mostly matter (at least player physics, heading, dribbling for sure)

cons:
- shooting and passing to heavily assisted on PA1 so stats dont kick in
- keepers could be less good a bit and shooting could have more error, to me somewhere there is the sweetspot (now im stucked to these BS manual controls bc of this)
- defending player positioning is off...FOR THE USER MOSTLY, cpu defenders cover space most of the time well tho
- ehmm cheating and scripting but at least we got tons of difficulty levels
- bs transfers in ML

Last edited:
I can see the point when people ar saying that sliders can make developers lazy (sports games with their yearly updates are already cash cows imo).

I have a question to Jimmy, who seems to be so good at PES.

I have one major problem with this game, which spoils a lot for me.

When the opposition has the ball, my defenders often rush forward blindly, how can i prevent this (stop playing off-side trap seems Obvious, but is it, i'm not sure...). I kcan't get used to the new way of defending in this game. I'm pretty sure it's all my own wrongdoing and not the game...

@matt
- what kind of slider do you want to fix no 2 video ?
- which one do you specifically refer to.. the one that follow attacker inside the box or the man with the ball.. ?
- Is that issue you have happen with higher rated defender, what difficulty..

- A defensive slider. Defensive awareness, or positioning 101, lol.
- Both defenders should not be turning their backs, then compound the mistake by following the players into the box with their backs turned.
- This was on Superstar, yes, this issue occurs throughout regardless of rating/stats. It should not matter though, this is common sense defending. You face the player with the ball, while also ensuring you are aware of runners into the box. It's not man-2-man basketball defense.

I'm serious. I spent the last 2 weeks modifying stats. Look at ball winning for example. It doesn't make the player less able to tackle the ball, nope. It makes no difference. Try it. Put it on 40 and see how their ball winning ability makes zero difference, other than the overall.

PES stats used to mean something. With the exception to values like explosive power, passing, etc. there is a huge amount that are layered now to null effect, except only to affect the overall.

100% agree , stats in pes means nothing now since 2014 . Every player have the same speed , shooting accurancy and passsing and other . Me and other guys metioned this before , you can replace your CF with GK and you not gonna see any difference at all. 22 clones on the pitch. Its funny but i think they wanted to make more balance between attack and defence. It makes this game weird and master league is unplayable coz what is the point to buy new player if your ,,weak'' reserve player is just effective on pitch as any hazard or griezman ?

In my opinion, sliders are the last thing a soccer game should have.

It’s just messing up with everything. Why should we use 6 months on finding the perfect balance in a game, when the overall lifetime is a year?

Can’t see it at all. FIFA and PES shall deliver what they think are the best and we consumers will pick the best edition up for our needs.

It’s too early talking sliders anyway. I would rather see an increased focus on game modes and stats before we are getting there. Make them matter more, should be a focus.

I’m thinking that sliders are quite like all these forums.. For me it would be the never-ending-goal in terms of testing, testing and testing to getting ‘’the perfect game’’.

In terms of these forums, I am feeling the same way. The other day I caught myself thinking. Would I really have noticed all these errors or would I just enjoy the game as it is?

Every year I find myself using minimal of time playing and a lot of time reading and waiting for a better patch, a better option file or something like that. Instead of just playing the game as it is and let it grow on me.
That’s a conflict for me. At the same time, I really enjoy reading people’s opinions, so it’s difficult.

yes , different animation but speed / dribling is same. There was some videos with proof that there is no difference when it comes to players speed , literaly no difference.

The videos I saw when the game first came out showed Walker, Bolt and a few more players being the fastest players.
In the end, Bolt won by about 2 seconds.

It's not a lot. The difference should be more notorious, I know. But there's definetely difference.

100% agree , stats in pes means nothing now since 2014 . Every player have the same speed , shooting accurancy and passsing and other . Me and other guys metioned this before , you can replace your CF with GK and you not gonna see any difference at all. 22 clones on the pitch. Its funny but i think they wanted to make more balance between attack and defence. It makes this game weird and master league is unplayable coz what is the point to buy new player if your ,,weak'' reserve player is just effective on pitch as any hazard or griezman ?

I don't want to start a debate, but from my experience this is not the case.

For how many problems with stats and individuality there may be, controlling superstars (or just players with really high stats) is still another thing than the generic player.. c'mon guys.. you can't tell me that pad in hand Dybala or Messi feel the same of your overall 70 striker.. it's simply not true..

For how many problems with stats and individuality there may be, controlling superstars (or just players with really high stats) is still another thing than the generic player.. c'mon guys.. you can't tell me that pad in hand Dybala or Messi feel the same of your overall 70 striker.. it's simply not true..

I agree!

Your right.. but players who let' face it haven't had the pes star treatment do not feel any different from each other regardless of stats.

If you made a player exactly like Messi no Base copy he would feel different.

Your right.. but players who let' face it haven't had the pes star treatment do not feel any different from each other regardless of stats.

If you made a player exactly like Messi no Base copy he would feel different.
totally disagree

The videos I saw when the game first came out showed Walker, Bolt and a few more players being the fastest players.
In the end, Bolt won by about 2 seconds.

It's not a lot. The difference should be more notorious, I know. But there's definetely difference.

No , i meant video with players with low and high speed stats. It was tested by some people here and result is the same - same speed for all players . heading , passing ,shooting and ball control is also the same story.
Yeah, Messi could feel different but its all about his animation Messi animation is very different and it could be easier to control him , its hard to explain . Point is, if you will create player based on messi stats then he will be no different than another generic 60 rated player. In result 99% players in pes are just clones .

yes , different animation but speed / dribling is same. There was some videos with proof that there is no difference when it comes to players speed , literaly no difference.

I was a first to quote that to OP but then i saw the usual speedtest vids and player speed is matter. And I can outrun Mertesacker with Rashford anyways.

@matt as for the tackling. I remember in a 2014 or 2015 podcast Adam mentioned that a good defender is distinguishable from a bad one by

- the amount of auto tackles/interceptions/barging players off the ball he makes
- the precision of his tackling(not stepping in thin air instead of the ball, ball is not bouncing away from him after the tackle)

It was in some old ass footyunited or wenb podcast.

Taking these into account players feel the same to you?

Back
Top Bottom