PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

Hopefully they will bring on a real crowd this year instead of one made of paper! Current crowd is PS1 era.

I was thinking the same. Feels like we've got two PES2012 discussion threads open at the moment. Where's Lami when you need him? :))

And I thought we were posting in the 2012 thread... :FAIL:

Sorry about the confusion.

Now I hope we keep this thread strictly 2013 related.

Soooo....

Anyone thinks Konami are pulling a prank on us and surprising us with a new engine? I'm hoping so.

Soooo....

Anyone thinks Konami are pulling a prank on us and surprising us with a new engine? I'm hoping so.

A new engine? Don't think so, not at all

Soooo....

I'll let you off as it's your birthday. Have a good one. :TU:

I was thinking the same. Feels like we've got two PES2012 discussion threads open at the moment. Where's Lami when you need him? :))

It's natural in a thread about a new version to talk about the strenghts and weaknesses of the previous version, so that hopefully in the next version the strenghts are expanded upon and the weaknesses reduced.

For example it would be nice if Konami would make gamespeed -2 (maybe with a bit more speed for the ball in the air) and full manual (with stats but without having to press L2) the default for PES 2013 as that is how the game is at its best, when seeking a simulation-approach. "Talk is cheap...":))

To be honest, i really can't see them using a new engine until next gen. I think we'll be saddled with updated versions of the current until then, Which wouldn't be to bad if the fix things such as collision detection.

Seeing as FIFA as made some impressive (in my opinion) progress in regards to collision detection and a player physics engine, i'd expect this to be one of the next improved features Konami introduce this year

This is what im thinking, Konami said the game will be very different. Adam let the new engine out of the bag to early and got rapped for it so he try's to cover himself by dismissing it. Every year he leads us up the garden path this is him doing it again but in a different manner. :BOP:

Well we can but hope lol, 2 days and we'l see how good or how bad the game will look.

I'm still not convinced on the new engine theory to be honest.

As much as I would love for it to happen - and I think it's the right time to do so (why wait another couple of years for PS4?) - I just can't see Konami doing it. They are a notoriously slow developer and they will surely see the PS4 as the time for change.

Hopefully it's not too late for them by then.

Would anyone like to see rain back in PES 2013? I loved the rain in PES 2011 infact i reckon it's the best rain in any video game but for some reason they took it out of this years game even though the option is there.

I'll let you off as it's your birthday. Have a good one. :TU:

Why thank you kind sir :P

About the new engine, I know it's been said time and again that it's not happening this year, but hey, one can only dream. What's good a hype train without hype? :P

Seriously though, I know currently we only have a pic of what 2013 looks like, but something about Ronaldo's animation looks different. It looks so life-like compared to previous versions. If they somehow throw in heaps of realistic animations + better collision + more variety in shooting + even better first touch (yes not all players have the technique and ability to keep the ball close when running), I'd be on cloud 9.

Why thank you kind sir :P

About the new engine, I know it's been said time and again that it's not happening this year, but hey, one can only dream. What's good a hype train without hype? :P

Seriously though, I know currently we only have a pic of what 2013 looks like, but something about Ronaldo's animation looks different. It looks so life-like compared to previous versions. If they somehow throw in heaps of realistic animations + better collision + more variety in shooting + even better first touch (yes not all players have the technique and ability to keep the ball close when running), I'd be on cloud 9.
There is no logic now Konami to release new engine for PS3 and Xbox 360 , m8 ! They will try to make the best with this one , for last time , and maybe for PES 2014 and PS4 we finaly will have new , i hope better engine , not only as graphic performance .
And for Ronaldo pic, i don't thing it's exactly animation of the game. But will see after 2 days , behind the scenes video and short trailer .

However, suppose that maybe this year we will offer at least 3, 4 kinds individual stiles of animation, runs, moves , something like NBA 2k and dynamic weather and maybe an add-on that calculates frames of animation to better synchronize their transitions . I think this will be the key things about PES 2013

Happy Birthday Lami.

As far as PES goes I reckon Konami will release a new engine at the most inappropriate time :) i.e just before the next gen consoles hit.

But will see after 2 days , behind the scenes video and short trailer .
Behind the scenes video? Where'd you get that from?

About stretching this engine to full potential, I think Seabass mentioned something about them finally getting to grips with the PS3's Cell tech. Seems to imply they were struggling with it before but now they know what to do and therefore we should expect better performance. Well I sure do.
Happy Birthday Lami.

As far as PES goes I reckon Konami will release a new engine at the most inappropriate time :) i.e just before the next gen consoles hit.

Thanks Zee :)

And yes, knowing their funny ways, you just never know what's next.

Behind the scenes video? Where'd you get that from?

About stretching this engine to full potential, I think Seabass mentioned something about them finally getting to grips with the PS3's Cell tech. Seems to imply they were struggling with it before but now they know what to do and therefore we should expect better performance. Well I sure do.

For behind the scenes video is my guess .

Far as I know, again several journalists have traveled to Japan or any object of Konami in Europe (Spain maybe , i'm not 100 % sure )where there was a small presentation of PES 2013 behind closed doors.

Last edited:

This is what im thinking, Konami said the game will be very different. Adam let the new engine out of the bag to early and got rapped for it so he try's to cover himself by dismissing it. Every year he leads us up the garden path this is him doing it again but in a different manner. :BOP:

Well we can but hope lol, 2 days and we'l see how good or how bad the game will look.

No. There will not new engine in Pes 2013. Adam said a lot of times about new technology use in Pes 2013. I guess KONAMI use it to make better animations. They add this new technology into the current engine. Adam also said that most of people when look game in action will be think that is a new engine. Changes will be huge like new engine.

So there is something new in there. No wonder as something does look different in that pic. But maybe I'm taking that pic a bit too far.

It's the better control and satisfaction I get from :circle: High through ball is more automated imo. I don't feel I did much there.

I concur. I find high through ball to be a mess. It's completely automated to make the defender react faster than the attacker. Unless your attacker is in acres of space on the wing you will rarely, if ever, get the advantage, whether by luck or otherwise. It's the part of the game i find the most in your face in terms of automation. Normal through balls are similar but i find that i end up grappling less with my player trying to get him to run somewhere the computer hasn't already decided i should. You can't really deviate your striker from the set line he intends to run in to react to chase the ball unless you super cancel, at which point you lose time on the already quicker reacting defender.

High through balls are a bit weird though. They've kind of been a staple in football games for a while and people try to use them a lot. In real football i'd wager lofted through balls intended for your player to run onto down the middle of the pitch don't happen too often. Mostly only if there's a huge area that a player can see that they think an attacker can or will run into. I'll admit i've always been guilty of just trying to use them anyway even in situations that shouldn't warrant it i.e. when there isn't space and i'm just hoping it might work out. In the past though they have been a broken part of the game resulting in essentially just lofted through balls being the basis of any attack (PES 4 was like this i think). I liked them best in PES 5. Where they were pretty hard to pull off because most of the time they ended up at the GK but they weren't impossible if you had enough space to run into. If attackers didn't feel so automated when reacting to them i think they'd be fine in this game.

It'd be better all round if normal loft didn't make the ball fly so high into the air. It's hard to just play long balls through the middle at all. To the wing it's fine but through the middle it's hard because your player seems to be trying to elevate the ball rather than put in downfield in general. That said, as Lami acknowledges, it ends up making players less automated in their reaction to it so it's why i use it even when it looks silly.

Last edited:

So there is something new in there. No wonder as something does look different in that pic. But maybe I'm taking that pic a bit too far.

I wouldn't take pictures or teaser-trailers seriously. Remember the Messi-teaser-trailer for PES 2011? Where we all thought: "Wow, finally Konami has created a new animation-engine that even surpasses Fifa's"... at least that was my thought back then.:COAT:

It'd be better all round if normal loft didn't make the ball fly so high into the air. It's hard to just play long balls through the middle at all. To the wing it's fine but through the middle it's hard because your player seems to be trying to elevate the ball rather than put in downfield in general. That said, as Lami acknowledges, it ends up making players less automated in their reaction to it so it's why i use it even when it looks silly.

Why not try double- or triple-tapping the button for high-ball? It's supposed to make the curve of the ball less highly elevated. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I read it in the menu when scrolling through the various input-possibilities.

The problem I have is that the front-runner stops his run and returns for a meter and two and then tries to go forward again, whenever I use a highball from behind the frontrunner to go over his head, it's infuriating.

And I agree that for PES 2013 it should be possible to leave the rails without having to use supercancel and without losing momentum.

I wouldn't take pictures or teaser-trailers seriously. Remember the Messi-teaser-trailer for PES 2011? Where we all thought: "Wow, finally Konami has created a new animation-engine that even surpasses Fifa's"... at least that was my thought back then.:COAT:

Yeah the pic was a render if it's not and Konami pass it off as ingame then we have a new engine.

Back in January 2011 I emailed Konami about including a physics engine into PES. They replied with this:

Konamiemail.png

Most likely just a courtesy reply.

EA introduced their physics engine in 12. As flawed and bugged as it may be, it is nonetheless a strive forward in the right direction for a better game.

Does anyone think PES 13 might do something similar to improve collision detection now that they have seen EA do it?

There was good reason for new engine talk and it wasn't just from Adam. Likewise, there was a good reason for the talk of there not being a new engine and it wasn't because of any wrap on the knuckles by Konami.

If there is no new engine this year, it doesn't mean that there was no new engine of which to speak.

Now, taking all the above into account - a new engine not making the cut for this year, or even the current generation - that doesn't necessarily rule out sizeable progress with the existing engine that is in place or new engine developments indirectly offering up new solutions to existing tech. Guesswork? Yes.

It would be pretty sweet if it proves Konami have been pulling the wool over our eyes after all regards a new engine for PES2013 but I doubt it...but would love to be proved wrong. I'm pretty sure everybody who has had been told what they have been to desire a scenario in which they end up finding themselves very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

There was good reason for new engine talk and it wasn't just from Adam. Likewise, there was a good reason for the talk of there not being a new engine and it wasn't because of any wrap on the knuckles by Konami.

If there is no new engine this year, it doesn't mean that there was no new engine of which to speak.

Now, taking all the above into account - a new engine not making the cut for this year, or even the current generation - that doesn't necessarily rule out sizeable progress with the existing engine that is in place or new engine developments indirectly offering up new solutions to existing tech. Guesswork? Yes.

It would be pretty sweet if it proves Konami have been pulling the wool over our eyes after all regards a new engine for PES2013 but I doubt it...but would love to be proved wrong. I'm pretty sure everybody who has had been told what they have been to desire a scenario in which they end up finding themselves very pleasantly surprised.

Think that's wishing a bit too much considering the current state of affairs heh. Although, with Konami, you never really know. More is lost in translation than what is really in the game. That generally applies to things that should be there but aren't, maybe it's time for the opposite to happen,

Would they waste 3 years on a new engine? If no new engine this year and no new console's for next year which means more than likely no new engine for next year....would Konami waste so much money on a nw engine 3 years in advanced?

Right now it seems they dont want to waste money in a single year nevermind throwing money into a 3 year plan which in the gaming world is extremely rare.

I really hope this year is the year they catch up with the rest of the gaming world as if they dont and they do wait 3 years down the line they are really going to look amateurish. Seabass did say PES 2013 would be very different to PES 2012.....Lets see if talk is cheap!

"Talk is cheap" is a line that says to me that Konami are doing something DIFFERENT this year.

Last edited:

no "talk is cheap" is just them realise they talk a lot of shit every year :D

Sorry to be pessimistic but some of you guys are setting yourselves up for a big disappointment if you start believing that a new engine or sweeping changes could be on the cards this year. I hope for this as much as the next man, but knowing Konami it just won't happen.

I'm expecting gameplay refinements, added animations, increased player individuality, and improved visuals, all based on the PES2012 engine. Anything else will be a bonus.

It's best to think this way and not get your hopes up. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised if Konami do turn up the heat.

Would they waste 3 years on a new engine? If no new engine this year and no new console's for next year which means more than likely no new engine for next year....would Konami waste so much money on a nw engine 3 years in advanced?

Right now it seems they dont want to waste money in a single year nevermind throwing money into a 3 year plan which in the gaming world is extremely rare.

Investing in an engine is not just meant to pay off for the one subsequent year, but potentially 5, 6, even 7 years. FIFA 07 to FIFA 13 or 14, for example.

The truth is that most games studios don't announce that they've been working on a game until the game reaches a certain stage of production. How long was Assassin's Creed in the works? Or Uncharted? Or many other titles, particularly those that then saw a number of reuses (with upgrades) of the same engine? I'd wager that 2-3 years is typical - especially considering that, technically, one or two guys locked in a room somewhere for a year still counts as one year of development time. Look at the rumours about Konami using that Fox engine. Well, if you have one or two guys trying to tweak that engine to work for PES, that still counts as working on next-gen PES - just as much as having 300 people creating kits, stadia, chants, menus etc etc, even if the amount of man-hours differ drastically. And the creation of that engine to begin with, to get it to where it's already at, uses resources across all of Konami, rather than just PES Productions.

As for Konami not wanting to waste money over the course of 1 year, let alone 3 - couldn't you argue that this may be the case because they're also funding a longer term project? I'm just going by the logic, rather than knowing the answer or trying to twist things for the sake of optimism. If you're selling 3 million copies while reusing the same engines, with little licensing and 12 months between titles, it's hard not to think there's money being saved for something else.

I don't expect anything mindblowing this year techwise, but I'm certain something's being done for next-gen. I'm positive EA have already started work too.

Last edited:

As for Konami not wanting to waste money over the course of 1 year, let alone 3 - couldn't you argue that this may be the case because they're also funding a longer term project? I'm just going by the logic, rather than knowing the answer or trying to twist things for the sake of optimism. If you're selling 3 million copies while reusing the same engines, with little licensing and 12 months between titles, it's hard not to think there's money being saved for something else.

I don't expect anything mindblowing this year techwise, but I'm certain something's being done for next-gen. I'm positive EA have already started work too.

Konami put such little money into their football title each year that... PES 3 to PES 2012 which is what 8 years got very little money spent on it, i'd imagine selling 5 million each year...all that profit is going into the shareholders pockets, the Konami management and the Seabass team for wages which whom does work on PES each year.

There doesnt seem to be any money in progressing the series... I just dont see the same putting money back into the series as i do with what EA do with Fifa...I know Fifa sales are in another league right now with the huge fanbase they have built up but Konami make HUGE HUGE HUGE profits on PES yet still churn out roughly the same game which by todayts standards doesnt quite match up to other sports games. (note sports games rather than just comparing it to Fifa which i still believe PES has the slight edge in the gameplay department)

Lets see in two days with their new trailer and wealth of information that they are going to bring us if they really are stepping up to the plate and talk is cheap or if this talk is cheap is just PR bullshit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom